Not open for further replies.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
No actual build to it -- two off-the-shelf parts, no modifications. I've been happy with my dremel, but tried a couple of the 1/4" self-piercing valves, too, really was unhappy with them. Skittering, hole placement, hole size, were just kind of iffy to me. Buzz mentioned he was looking at carrying carto punches, so for kicks I poked at what might work well. He probably has something better up his sleeve but this is pretty solid and the screw, the part that wears, is cheap enough to be readily replaced.

FreeFire

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Twin Cities Minnesota
No actual build to it -- two off-the-shelf parts, no modifications. I've been happy with my dremel, but tried a couple of the 1/4" self-piercing valves, too, really was unhappy with them. Skittering, hole placement, hole size, were just kind of iffy to me. Buzz mentioned he was looking at carrying carto punches, so for kicks I poked at what might work well. He probably has something better up his sleeve but this is pretty solid and the screw, the part that wears, is cheap enough to be readily replaced.

Can you post a couple pics?

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
It looks like other set-screw-collar type carto punches. The collar portion is a full 1/3" wide, enough to get screw threads to bite properly while still having a point. From the end it looks like a 1" washer with 0.375" hole in the middle. The donut is about 2/3" wide, which is why the hole gets placed nicely, at about 1/3" up from the face of the punch.

The screw part was a royal PITA. I wanted off the shelf, not something that you had to grind down in any way. I finally dug up a couple options for the right format tap screw. I have a box of one kind in hand, works well, another pack coming in tomorrow, and there's one other source that I'm too cheap to buy (though they would be fine for a supplier, unit cost is low, just that the min buy is 100).

Last edited:

Sandiej02

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2010
California Coast
www.artbysandie.com
I have done that very thing with Fusions and other cartos and what it was for me was what you said, I went to deep when I punched them and cut the wire inside. Check the continuity on your carto if you have a meter.

Figured it out ... that's exactly what I did - punched my holes TOOOO deep. :) The cartos worked BEFORE I put them in a tank ... but not after I punched them. Thanks for the reply ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread