How to Fix Stuff

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Back in PA when I had 3 acres to mow I sure didn’t bag any grass! I had a commercial grade Exmark Lazer Z 60” mulching mower that cost about $6500 in 2003 or 2004. It was a beautiful machine but I don’t miss needing to use it.
Yeah, Exmark is big with contractors. Premium price but worth every penny if you’re a contractor.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Wife wants a raised vegetable garden. Our yard is heavily wooded so there’s really only one place to put it that will get enough sun.and or twisting The spot has a slope in two directions so part of the “back wall” and side walls will be sitting 5-6 inches below grade to keep the too edge all around level.

I figure the walls will have to be either 5 2x6’s high (27.5 inches) or 4 2x8’s (29 inches) high to keep the partially sunken back wall at a height she wants. It will be 4 x 8 feet.

So, would you build it with 2 x 6’s or 2 x 8’s. The lumber will be cedar. I don’t know if one or the other would be better to minimize cupping or twisting as it ages. Or maybe I’m just over thinking it.

Reactions: kas122461

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Wife wants a raised vegetable garden. Our yard is heavily wooded so there’s really only one place to put it that will get enough sun.and or twisting The spot has a slope in two directions so part of the “back wall” and side walls will be sitting 5-6 inches below grade to keep the too edge all around level.

I figure the walls will have to be either 5 2x6’s high (27.5 inches) or 4 2x8’s (29 inches) high to keep the partially sunken back wall at a height she wants. It will be 4 x 8 feet.

So, would you build it with 2 x 6’s or 2 x 8’s. The lumber will be cedar. I don’t know if one or the other would be better to minimize cupping or twisting as it ages. Or maybe I’m just over thinking it.
Is there a huge price difference between the 6 and 8 inch boards? Are you going to have 4x4 fence posts around the bottom or other areas where the walls be be acting as retaining walls to keep the dirt from sliding down hill?

I'm imagining a box with 3 sides open to air, and 1 side in the hill. In that case, I would consider using the 8's to match up with a dirt-side wall of 4x4 posts and then the 2x8's on the 3 open sides. Any sections that will be below dirt would be made of 4x4 posts because I think the earth will eventually move enough to deform the flat boards.

Reactions: MikeE3

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014

Since garden beds are kept moist, you might want to look at sealing the inside of the walls with several coats of Garden Seal. It’s non-toxic and might help make the wood last a little longer.

I went with Birdies galvanized beds after watching multiple videos of gardeners saying they wished they hadn’t built wood beds. My favorite is a tall 8-in-1 that I filled halfway with large logs, branches and leaves - then added soil.

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living

I had to try a raised bed when my old garden spot got too shaded by trees. I just went with 2 2x6's pressure treated and lined the wood with plastic. It's been working well enough for a few years. I just got a few plants yesterday, so now to turn it over. : )

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
An cost effective way is buy local if you have a sawmill near by. Use slabs and just replace as needed. Most of the time they are just going to grind these up into mulch, buy the crew lunch and get a truckload.

Also unless you live in the Northern western half of the country cedar will be expensive. I would use what ever is local and untreated. Not only will treated wood leach into your garden, it is hard to depose of should decide to discard it, many landfills don't want it.

Last edited:

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
I found they make a longer shark bite valve, if you have to replace an old valve without having to move the pipes too much. Of course I had to replace the old valve after I split the packing nut trying to tighten it instead of stuffing another ring in beforehand. These things are pricey, but I'm out of practice sweating on pipe fittings. lol

20240504_094336.jpg

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I found they make a longer shark bite valve, if you have to replace an old valve without having to move the pipes too much. Of course I had to replace the old valve after I split the packing nut trying to tighten it instead of stuffing another ring in beforehand. These things are pricey, but I'm out of practice sweating on pipe fittings. lol

View attachment 1012216
    I used shark bite fittings and valves when I replaced my water heater. They sure make it easier.

Users who are viewing this thread