Turn you Zen~ advanced paper weight into an apv Sorry Zen~

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb1981

Sep 10, 2013
St Louis, MO
Hi,

I've been vaping for 18 mths now this is my first post. I mean no offence, however, I am more than dissatisfied with the gift my wife gave me for my birthday. I was left with fixing the issues, or offending her. Needless to say I went with the first. Some will not like what I am saying, and I really don't mind, I just hope that one person in particular reads this post and fixes their product so me the consumer of this high price apv doesn't have to. I will say it now DO NOT DO THIS if you do not understand electronics and know how to work a voltage meter IT CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS if done incorrectly.
Out of the tube package I was shocked when my brand new Zen~ dx-650 put out 3.12 volts under load, my kts+ puts out 3.65 on the same atty. This can be fixed pretty easily though, but should in no way need to be. This type of purchase should have worked right from the get go. :mad: So here I go modding an expensive apv. If I wasn't trying not to hurt my wife's feelings this thing would have gone to the first person who had 50 bucks.
BE CAREFUL. You need 1, 1/2 in. 10 32 flat-top to standard machine bolt, 1 8 24 3\8 flat- top standard machine bolt, and a thicker spring. I used a gold plated left over re-twisted evic battery spring, Use solid brass bolts. All tops and bottoms of bolts should be filed flat and smooth first. 1.Test you switch ressistance, pull apart your switch pull out your corroded "gold plated" super thin spring. 2. Insert old re-twisted evic spring. 3. Re-assemble with 1/2 in. flat-top bolt. test resistance better right. 4. Take a small allen wrench and remove the positive post, mind the small o ring on the atty side. File down your remaining bolt to the same size as the one just removed. 5. clean up any threading you upset with filing, small xacto knife works well, and re-install into the positive post. 6. TEST TEST TEST the top cap for resistance. Your meter should read open link. If you have a continuity tester, no beep should be given. 7. Re-install the top cap to the tube. Done
After the mod I got 3.86 volts to the atty. Yeah. Zen~ please use brass, I love your apv now, it is great in the hand and hits like a beast. It is a beautiful piece, but I use my stuff everyday. It doesn't sit on the shelf. I must have the performance as well as the look, and yes now I will occasionally have to clean up my new brass posts, I don't mind performance matters and I like to fiddle.
Thanks ECF for all the great info I hope this helps someone the way I've been helped so many times in the past, JB :vapor:

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

samcm010

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2013
Ashburn Virginia USA
Thank you for the info I got a great trade for this Mod and would have walked away had I not read this and known I could fix it. Now it looks and hits great with my Kayfun on it! 20131104_194725.jpg I used a SS connector post on the bottom button rather than filing down a rounded brass screw (all I could find) will probably go back and find a flat brass.

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread