Status
Not open for further replies.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
There's no way the Provari is built as tough as the VTR. It's damn near a solid brick of stainless (or at least feels like it). If the Terminator was to buy a mod, that would be the one he would have. ;)

I haven't held a VTR so I can't offer direct experience. I am just wondering if you have spent any time with a Provari, either? (I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious.)

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
The Provari is quite literally milled out of a solid block of stainless steel. Also, the Itaste VTR is made out of Brass, not stainless steel. & everyone knows that if copper is the milling equivalent of butter, then brass is stick margarine. I can and have used the end of my provari to hammer nails into my wall studs for hanging pictures. I've also used it to bang other mod's top tubes back into the body. The bottom cap on my Provari doesn't even get scratched up, never-mind the pits & gouges I'd see if it were made of brass.

& to the new member that I see had a problem with his VTR- Yes, welcome to ECF and the vape-tech world. Once you've been here a year or so you'll learn the tricks to buying mods. Typically, a new foreign made mod takes around 6 months to get all the kinks worked out. The 1st version is basically a beta test. The people that buy the 1st version are voluntary beta testers. If a brand new mod with a brand new design is released from china or any foreign manufacturer, you can be 100% sure that it will have future revisions. This is how foreign mod makers work. They TEST the first versions in the US market 1st.

We are in the 5th on-the-books revision of the Zmax, although there were many revisions before this. The first versions of the Zmax actually used average voltage rather than giving you correct voltage, can you believe it? Dozens upon dozens of people complained that their circuit boards were sliding down the battery tube in the Zmax V2, effectively rendering their brand-new $80 mod useless without a fix. Unfortunately, all versions of the Zmax had crooked screens until the current version came along. But sure enough, there are still people complaining that the new Zmax they just purchased has a crooked screen. There are also strange spelling mistakes & scrolling mistakes in the Zmax's menu system.

The 1st version of the Smoktech telescope had no vent holes for the battery, effectively turning it into a pipe bomb. Then the 2nd revision of the telescope had crudely cut vent holes that tore the shrink wrap off of everyone's batteries. (which was more dangerous still) The 3rd version of the smoktech telescope had a removable & repairable head, effectively pissing off everyone that bought the 1st two versions since they couldn't repair theirs or adjust the center pin.

The Natural, one of the 1st mods to compete with hybrid mods, was first released with a chrome plated firing pin, which basically meant the voltage drop was so bad people had to change their batteries every 20-30 minutes just to keep vaping. A lot of mods are released with cheap painted fire pins. And no one knows why. China just doesn't seem to understand that we'd all rather have bare-brass than chromed firing pins. Chrome paint is not conductive china! Its NOT conductive! The Natural also had issues with using the Kick in 18500 mode with a button top battery, & people couldn't even use a button top 18650 without unscrewing the two body sections. The firing pin was too long. These versions are still sold tday.

ALWAYS wait for the 3rd, 4th, or 5th version if you are going to order a foreign made mod.

Last edited:
excellent machining, good at doing what it does, but the main bummer is it can't take above 3 amps... the duke by goss is honestly way better for that price range and functionality, but it has no protection features and is a lot more of an advanced user device. i also think that the duke is way sexier. i'm pretty sure it's a hammond 1590 abk box.

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
The Provari is quite literally milled out of a solid block of stainless steel. Also, the Itaste VTR is made out of Brass, not stainless steel. & everyone knows that if copper is the milling equivalent of butter, then brass is stick margarine. I can and have used the end of my provari to hammer nails into my wall studs for hanging pictures. I've also used it to bang other mod's top tubes back into the body. The bottom cap on my Provari doesn't even get scratched up, never-mind the pits & gouges I'd see if it were made of brass.

& to the new member that I see had a problem with his VTR- Yes, welcome to ECF and the vape-tech world. Once you've been here a year or so you'll learn the tricks to buying mods. Typically, a new foreign made mod takes around 6 months to get all the kinks worked out. The 1st version is basically a beta test. The people that buy the 1st version are voluntary beta testers. If a brand new mod with a brand new design is released from china or any foreign manufacturer, you can be 100% sure that it will have future revisions. This is how foreign mod makers work. They TEST the first versions in the US market 1st.

We are in the 5th on-the-books revision of the Zmax, although there were many revisions before this. The first versions of the Zmax actually used average voltage rather than giving you correct voltage, can you believe it? Dozens upon dozens of people complained that their circuit boards were sliding down the battery tube in the Zmax V2, effectively rendering their brand-new $80 mod useless without a fix. Unfortunately, all versions of the Zmax had crooked screens until the current version came along. But sure enough, there are still people complaining that the new Zmax they just purchased has a crooked screen. There are also strange spelling mistakes & scrolling mistakes in the Zmax's menu system.

The 1st version of the Smoktech telescope had no vent holes for the battery, effectively turning it into a pipe bomb. Then the 2nd revision of the telescope had crudely cut vent holes that tore the shrink wrap off of everyone's batteries. (which was more dangerous still) The 3rd version of the smoktech telescope had a removable & repairable head, effectively pissing off everyone that bought the 1st two versions since they couldn't repair theirs or adjust the center pin.

The Natural, one of the 1st mods to compete with hybrid mods, was first released with a chrome plated firing pin, which basically meant the voltage drop was so bad people had to change their batteries every 20-30 minutes just to keep vaping. A lot of mods are released with cheap painted fire pins. And no one knows why. China just doesn't seem to understand that we'd all rather have bare-brass than chromed firing pins. Chrome paint is not conductive china! Its NOT conductive! The Natural also had issues with using the Kick in 18500 mode with a button top battery, & people couldn't even use a button top 18650 without unscrewing the two body sections. The firing pin was too long. These versions are still sold tday.

ALWAYS wait for the 3rd, 4th, or 5th version if you are going to order a foreign made mod.

US made products go through revisions and design changes too. ZNA gone through few changes already. I don't see this being a problem. In fact, I would be skeptical if someone produced a "perfect" device during their initial launch.
For me, how the companies handle these updates that sets them apart. If a problem is reported, are they going to rush in with a drill and a hot glue? Or are they going to go back to the drawing board and come up with a real solution. Also, are they going to own up to their mistake and do whatever is necessary to keep their customers safe and provide the features/function they paid for?
If my VTR was made by Provape, it would have been sent back and repaired/exchanged long time ago. That would have made me perfectly happy to be the purchaser of 1st release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread