VAMO vs. ProVari (or any other "high-end" PV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
Listening to the Vets talk about ohms, watts, volts I feel like a n00b :confused: but learning is a good thing :D

High school stuff my man :D

oktyabr i dont think devices protect against high wattage. batteries (and so should devices) have over-discharge protection, which is amp (can be thought of roughly as the "volume" or "weight" of current running through)

The ZmaxV3 looks awesome, id imagine itd look great with an AGA-T2.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
High school stuff my man :D

oktyabr i dont think devices protect against high wattage. Batteries (and so should devices) have over-discharge protection, which is amp (can be thought of roughly as the "volume" or "weight" of current running through)

The ZmaxV3 looks awesome, id imagine itd look great with an AGA-T2.

Nah, the jury is still out on that. We've discussed this at detail (I think YOU were a poster in a couple of them as well, right?) and there is a reason switches and the like are rated in amperage and not volts or watts. But since all three are mathematically intertwined it's sometimes too easy to use them interchangeably as well, even though that isn't *technically* correct. Taking the Vamo for example it's specifications outline a narrow range of capabilities. Even though it says "5 amp switch", "1.2 ohm capability", "6.0 volt maximum" and "15 watt maximum" if you stress any one of those factors it mathematically coincides that at least one of the others will be out of range too... more often than not ;)

Again, I'm no electrical engineer and I won't pretend to be one... High school edumication? Yeah, probably. But everything I've relearned in the last month or so I must have managed to forget rather quickly, some 27 years ago (class of 86') :D

chadsmo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
BC Canada
can someone attest to the fact that a provari will fire a .8 ohm coil on a gennie or is that magic? I have a vamo, and am only disappointed that it won't fire a sub 1.2 ohm coil from my aga-t2. oh well, i got a mech .. if I could only get my coil right aaaaaaaaaah
do they make a coils for dummies?

I am looking at the sigelei zmax v3 telescoping and the zmax. those look nice, but what would be the ohm limit on that? oled display :p

I can tell you right now it won't fire a .8 coil cause I tired last night lol. The lowest ohms it will take is about 1.0

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Like some have said the sigelei zmax is an awesome PV. It is the best built PV on the market with buttery smooth threads, ability to use all sorts of batteries, and ego and 510 threading. It is the best money I've spent since I started vaping. Anyone looking to move up from a twist or spinner shouldn't waste their money on inferior devices like the provari and start with the best. Get a zmax. I wish I would have and I could have used the wasted provari money to buy more delicious juices.

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
I dont remember posting anything about it before.

As to what you said, well, yes and no. The 3 measurements are mathematically intertwined but limiting one changes the math as compared to limiting another. Just try capping one at a time while letting the other 2 vary and you will see what i mean.

The way i understand it, amp is the accurate switch measurement since voltage is just the attrative force driving the current. Simply put, amperage should be the correct measurement of how much power a device can "handle". I cant really put it into words any more than that. Its one of those things i sort of know intuitively without being able to explain it very well.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
I dont remember posting anything about it before.

As to what you said, well, yes and no. The 3 measurements are mathematically intertwined but limiting one changes the math as compared to limiting another. Just try capping one at a time while letting the other 2 vary and you will see what i mean.

The way i understand it, amp is the accurate switch measurement since voltage is just the attrative force driving the current. Simply put, amperage should be the correct measurement of how much power a device can "handle". I cant really put it into words any more than that. Its one of those things i sort of know intuitively without being able to explain it very well.

You are correct. But as for limits consider this... suppose you stayed under the 5 amp "limit" of the Vamo...

W=VxA, so at the Vamo's lowest setting of 3v times a 5 amp "limit" would automagically fall within the range of the 15 watts as advertised.

Try it another way, crank the volts all the way up to 6.0 volts, to stay at or above 1.2 ohms (A=V/R so 6/1.2) gives you... TA-DA! 5.0 amps. Ok, so those play nicely together...

But what happens if you try and dump 15 watts into something even lower, say a 1.0 ohm coil? Volts = sqrt of (W x R), so 15x1=15, sqrt of 15 = 3.873 volts... safe there. A=V/R so 3.873/1 still equals 3.873 amps! That's still well within any sort of 5 amp limit... so what's the catch?

If it's not purely mechanical-electrical, like the equations would suggest, then it has to be a built in limit on more than one of our other variables, in this case low ohms. Why would they do that? Because by bumping the "+" button you would still be able to turn the voltage up to 6.0 volts! 6 volts and a 1 ohm coil equals 6 amps, over the 5 amp limit. W=VxA so in this example 6x6=36 watts into a 1 ohm coil! :shock: YIKES! Even 5 volts into a 1.3 coil still works out to 3.846 amps but that should also mean close to 20 watts of power, if the device can really deal with that sort of challenge... so why is the upper limit in VW mode only 15? Can you exceed that by fine tuning a coil and using VV mode instead?

I don't really know.

Just silly math tricks I do when I'm procrastinating doing things I should be doing. ;)

I like my Vamo quite a bit... but I LOVE my mech :wub:

Last edited:

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
I dont believe the VAMO has a 5 amp switch... Last i heard someone measured it at 3.5 amps. That should change much of the math you did.

The 15W isnt actually a "limit" - its just something you can adjust it to, not really a limit of the devices capacity.

.... I think the two of us just scared off everyone. But thats probably a good thing - something like comparing the VAMO and Provari is just a touchy topic.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
I dont believe the VAMO has a 5 amp switch... Last i heard someone measured it at 3.5 amps. That should change much of the math you did.

The 15W isnt actually a "limit" - its just something you can adjust it to, not really a limit of the devices capacity.

.... I think the two of us just scared off everyone. But thats probably a good thing - something like comparing the VAMO and Provari is just a touchy topic.

You might be right but the 3.5 amp limit would then suggest that the vamo shouldn't even be able to fire a 1.5 ohm coil using it's highest 6.0 volt setting and even a 1.4 ohm coil (on any such VV device, even the Prov) wouldn't be allowed at even 5 volts much less 6.

I dunno... Too many unknowns here. I still suspect both end up modelling some sort of range that limits the device in more ways than amps.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

The Vamo is specifically advertised as having a 5 amp switch. I use 1.5 ohm dual coil cartos on the Vamo at 11 - 12 watts and never have an issure.

DanKnowsJack

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2013
Ephrata, PA
The Vamo is specifically advertised as having a 5 amp switch. I use 1.5 ohm dual coil cartos on the Vamo at 11 - 12 watts and never have an issure.
1.5 ohm @ 12 watts is 2.82 amps, I don't know what they advertise it at, but my Vamo can't even push 3.5. And as far as how low the Provari can fire, it can fire a .9 ohm coil at 3.2 volts, the vamo can't fire anything lower than 1.2. This I find to be moot though. If im building a sub-ohm coil it's going on a mechanical.

Possessed

Mar 11, 2013
Laveen, Arizona, USA
Go Vamo. Provaris are built extremely nice, but I paid less than $50 for my Vamo. It is a heavy solid unit. More options to play with. You will eventually get a Provari but start with a Vamo. Just my opinion. I own both. Along with many others. You can never have too many. But the Vamo can't be beat for the price of half to a quarter of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread