Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
I wanted to thank everyone for all the kind words about my little brother. Our entire family is grateful for the outpouring of support over the years.

I also want to thank all of our service members and their families who are currently serving overseas. As an OEF veteran with 3 deployments behind me I know the heartache of being separated from your loved ones.

Finally, I want to thank my cousin Kent for what he’s doing to support our troops. Mailing packages APO/FPO/DPO is often a crapshoot and even if you do get your packages they sometimes look like they were shot out of a canon! Kent doesn’t hesitant to do right for our folks serving in uniform overseas – Thanks Cous!

Welcome to the forum J!~ Surprised to see you here!~

Maurice Pudlo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
United States
Hey was a good man. He always "looked up to me" - I was a few years old than him, always one step ahead... I wish I could have been there to help him, but I had no idea what was going on. PTSD was a concept foreign to me at the time, and he was half-way across the state of Iowa so I didn't see him with the kind of regularity I could have (or should have). I hope it inspires some compassion for the folks that experience similar symptoms. I also hope it inspires some of the returning soliders to seek out the help they need.

I guess I would have said...

There's no shame in having come back from deployment with PTSD.

You're not "weak" because the things you have seen, or done, caused trauma. These are perfectly normal reactions to extreme circumstances.

Although it is certainly not a "easy road" - help is available. For many it gets worse before it gets better. Reach out to someone you trust before things get out of control...

The stigma of admitting you've experienced more than you can cope with by yourself is itself the most frightening aspect of war, you train to do what no human should ever do, but there is no training on how to live with what you have done or seen, no training exists to ready you for the change that happens inside a soldier after experiencing all that comes with war, nothing in the training a soldier receives can provide the comfort he needs when the war has ended but the battle continues to rage on inside his own head.

The stigma attached to PTSD needs to be washed from the minds of every living being and we need to provide our soldiers, sailors, and airmen the skills they need to cope with the effects of war.

To all of my brothers and sisters in arms, if you are in need of help, tell someone you need help right now, tell them to stay with you till you can get to a safe place, tell them as much as you can about what it is you are experiencing. You aren't alone, there are people who want to do their very best to help you with the things you have experienced, there are people who want to help you heal the pain.

Maurice

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Thank you for sharing your family's story, Kent and Jomvig. I read it twice. I raised two sons and also have no words. Thanks to all of you who have served or have family that has or is presently serving....for all of us.

ECF actually had to delete his account because it's against the rules to have family registered on ECF unless they are designated as admins. All he wanted to do was stop by and say thank you regardless... his brother we're paying tribute to.

Kevin33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2014
Kaiserslautern, Germany
ECF actually had to delete his account because it's against the rules to have family registered on ECF unless they are designated as admins. All he wanted to do was stop by and say thank you regardless... his brother we're paying tribute to.

Say what???

I think this is really weird too. If someone wanted someone to shrill for them, they would only have to not mention that they are family, or get an acquaintance to do it. I don't think this cuts down on shrilling at all. Again, you could just keep it under wraps that you have common dna.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Oh, and Clark, you're the man.

I think this is really weird too. If someone wanted someone to shrill for them, they would only have to not mention that they are family, or get an acquaintance to do it. I don't think this cuts down on shrilling at all. Again, you could just keep it under wraps that you have common dna.

Say what???

I don't make the rules - I asked the question because I respect my relationship with ECF - better to ask than have it be "discovered." He said what needed to be said... "thank you" - he's not a vaper - he wasn't too worked up about it ;)

RIMP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Retired psych nurse, Army vet. I have met many soldiers that have had mental health issues and most were too ashamed to ask for help. As long as mental health illnesses are stigmatized you will continue to have suicides of vets. Thanks so much Kent for your service. God bless all soldiers from every branch who gave service to their country.

motabrownie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2014
Lawrence, KS
Retired psych nurse, Army vet. I have met many soldiers that have had mental health issues and most were too ashamed to ask for help. As long as mental health illnesses are stigmatized you will continue to have suicides of vets. Thanks so much Kent for your service. God bless all soldiers from every branch who gave service to their country.

Sorry off topic...RIMP, I tried to send you a PM but said your inbox is full :unsure:

EDIT: nevermind, looks like it went through

Novena

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2014
Jacksonville, NC, USA
New vaper and haven't bought from you yet Clark, but what a wonderful service you're providing. I'm an Air Force veteran and my husband is currently doing his second enlistment with the Army. He went to Iraq twice during his first enlistment and it definitely changed him a bit; thankfully, not as traumatically as your cousin. My condolences to your family.

Mikeo

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Central Illinois
New vaper and haven't bought from you yet Clark, but what a wonderful service you're providing. I'm an Air Force veteran and my husband is currently doing his second enlistment with the Army. He went to Iraq twice during his first enlistment and it definitely changed him a bit; thankfully, not as traumatically as your cousin. My condolences to your family.

Hello Novena and a big thank you to your husband and yourself for the service. I think I saw a post in another ecf forum about liking a sweet tobacco flavored juice. Well let me tell you about "The Virus", aka H1N1. It is the best thing since sliced bread. Take a look at the Nicoticket site for reviews, other folks are much better at describing the flavor than I am. I can only say that it is My #1 favorite. Wakonda and Radioactive are also good tobacco flavors. I'm not much of a dessert or fruit flavor vaper, but other people around here rave over them.

Feel free to jump in here any time, ask questions, make comments, etc. There is a good reason this little area is called the Nicoticket family ...

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
It saddens me to hear these kind of stories. As my avatar indicates, I myself am a veteran. Served in the Marines and the Air Force after that. I served in Iraq from 03-04, smack dab in the middle of the Sunni Triangle.....there's a chance I could have brushed shoulders with your cousin. My unit was lucky, we all made it back. People need to understand that we ALL come back a little different. That first 4th of July was pretty stressful...too many explosions. If you know, or are related to, a service member who was deployed, keep this in mind when dealing with them. Open ears, kindness and understanding are the best medicine.

It is commendable that you are providing service to our military men and women. I have noticed a high percentage of vape shops give military discounts (which I enjoy and gladly use, being a broke vet :p), it goes to show what a good community we have as vapers.

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
It saddens me to hear these kind of stories. As my avatar indicates, I myself am a veteran. Served in the Marines and the Air Force after that. I served in Iraq from 03-04, smack dab in the middle of the Sunni Triangle.....there's a chance I could have brushed shoulders with your cousin. My unit was lucky, we all made it back. People need to understand that we ALL come back a little different. That first 4th of July was pretty stressful...too many explosions. If you know, or are related to, a service member who was deployed, keep this in mind when dealing with them. Open ears, kindness and understanding are the best medicine.

It is commendable that you are providing service to our military men and women. I have noticed a high percentage of vape shops give military discounts (which I enjoy and gladly use, being a broke vet :p), it goes to show what a good community we have as vapers.

You have my deepest gratitude and love for your service to our country! I am always thrilled to meet America's heros :wub:

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com

Thank you *both* for your service! /salute

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com

Thank you for your service USMCotaku!! /salute

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA

Novena, I thank you and your husband both. I know my thanks does not begin to cover the price you both have paid, but hopefully it might help a little bit.

Ft. Campbell is a good place to be to "recharge" your mental batteries. Of course, you are living among crazy Tennesseeans so that might make you feel pretty sane in comparison!

Thank you, USMCotaku. Honored to meet you, sir! There are quite a few vape shops in Clarksville and Nashville and I have yet to see one not honor our military. We find that pretty important around here.

The Virus has me curious, though so far I've kind of shied away from tobacco flavors. Would love to find a good vanilla though, so I'm thinking of getting a bottle of Frenilla as a reward for 3 weeks with no cigs.

Novena, Virus is very good! Not like the tobacco's you have encountered so far. It is completely different and quite tasty! I highly recommend you at least get a small bottle of it, and a large bottle of Frenilla! Not only is Frenilla outstanding on its own, adding some to not-so-great juice can "fix" it!

Jen in North Pole AK

Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
North Pole, AK
That's a hard story to read, but I hope everyone can take it to heart.
I have lived with my boyfriend for 4 years and he returned from his 4th combat tour two years ago.
PTSD and a back injury have plagued him since his return and I am grateful that he has sought treatment instead of hiding from it.
After 2 years he still wont stay more than 30 minutes at the high school football game because they shoot off fireworks with each touchdown. He had to leave my older son's graduation when the kids started popping balloons. I could go on for days with examples, but am grateful that our life is slowly getting to a new normal.
I never realized how dramatically PTSD affected even the smallest joys in life and hope that the recognition and treatment will continue to progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread