Not open for further replies.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
Story to tell...

For those of you that are not familiar with my background, previous to my entry in the world of eliquid manufacturing I was a Licensed Mental Health Professional (PLMHP) in the State of Nebraska. I entered into that profession for lots of reasons, but the primarily reason was my 1st Cousin Josh. I wanted to help people with PTSD.

Here's (a small part of) his story...

(Source)

Nqlvjug.jpg

He always intended to be a policeman. To get there --- with his parents' guidance --- Josh Omvig became a soldier.

"He was a nice young man," Ellen (my aunt) says.

A mother's pained love.

"He was a pretty straight arrow," Randy (my uncle) says.

A father's wounded joy.

They knew Josh experienced combat in Iraq as an Army reservist. By connecting the dots, they concluded their son probably participated vigorously. Too late, they realized the person they got back from the war on terrorism was not the young man they sent.

Sadly, they say, post-traumatic stress disorder was only a vague concept until they saw Josh's world unravel.

"In retrospect, we probably should have pushed harder," Randy says.

His tone conveys little confidence the couple actually believe they could have saved their boy. As they see it, odds weighed heavily against their son.

"I keep thinking about it," Randy says. "But it was a no-win situation for Josh."

The soldier told his mother once he died in Iraq. But he kept living for another year.

Burning desire

Josh, a former Boy Scout with a newspaper route, wanted to join the military early. His parents refused to sign paperwork required of a 17-year-old and made him wait.

"'It is an adult decision. It is seven years of your life,'" Randy remembers telling his son.

Later, the couple insisted their son investigate several branches of the armed forces before making a commitment. And they helped.

"Josh was pretty focused," Randy says.

He enlisted with the 339th Military Police Company based in Davenport.

"When he signed up they hadn't been activated in more than 30 years," Randy says.

The choice was logical for an aspiring policeman or sheriff's deputy.

"He figured the best way to get some experience was to go into the reserves," Randy says.

Josh graduated a semester early from Grundy Center High School. Within two days he was training at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri.

The company deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, guarding suspected members of al Qaida. But Josh was not yet ready. Meanwhile, he enrolled in law enforcement courses at Hawkeye Community College.

"But sitting in the classroom was kind of tough on him," Randy says.

Josh seemed to enjoy much more the ride-alongs he arranged with sheriff's deputies in Tama, Grundy and Hardin counties.

"He liked the action part of it," Randy says.

Josh started working for a security company in Des Moines and became a supervisor. He moved to Altoona.

In 2003, the soldiers in the 339th --- back from Cuba --- and Josh and his parents anticipated what lay ahead.

"They kept telling them all summer, 'You're going to be activated real soon ... ,'" Ellen says. "That went on for months."

Josh got ready, had his teeth checked and deposited dna samples with the military. Officials activated the 339th once again in December 2003 and the company deployed to Iraq in February 2004.

The soldiers' mission included guarding people and enemy munitions. They at times also protected convoys. Shifts were 15 hours long. Their camp at one point was mortared daily.

Temperatures inside tents exceeded 100 degrees at night, Josh said, and soldiers resorted to flea collars on their beds and around ankles to stop the pests. But that didn't work too well, Ellen says, because the toxic chemicals irritated the soldiers' skin.

"It was pretty rough conditions for them," Randy says.

At the time, the couple didn't know where their son was. They later learned he served in the Sunni Triangle, a region northwest of Baghdad and home to many of Saddam Hussein's most loyal followers.

The 339th worked out of a "forward operating base," according to the Omvigs. There were no showers and only sporadic electrical service, Josh said. Telephone reception was poor and calls were frequently interrupted.

Soldiers in the company encountered close combat in urban conditions. Josh mentioned tall buildings crowding streets narrower than H Avenue where his parents lived in Grundy Center. Gunmen would pop up in windows a few feet away from convoys. Josh indicated a handgun might have been more effective than the grenade launcher he manned.

Josh never talked about killing anyone but said the 339th came under fire. He was usually in the company's lead vehicle and "he was their best shot," Randy says.

The couple received one letter from their son in 11 months. Josh later said he was firing off notes every month. Josh also occasionally skipped opportunities to call home, at least in part to allow fellow soldiers with spouses and children access to available phones.

"Another reason was he said it was too hard talking to us," Ellen says.

Break in the action

In early September 2004, Josh returned to Grundy County for a few days of rest and relaxation. He found little of either, according to his parents.

"He shook for three days," Randy says.

He remained vigilant and seemed unable to let down his guard.

"He was in pretty bad shape when he got back," Randy says.

The effects were apparent enough that others noticed. One of Josh's first desires was a meal at McDonald's. While there, the family encountered a veteran of the Vietnam War.

The older man saw the jitters and addressed Josh.

"'I know. It will get better. Thank you for your service,'" Ellen remembers the man saying.

Josh only shared information about Iraq in one- or two-sentence fragments at a time. But as they spent time together, his parents learned driving presented perceived threats to the veteran. Deer along the road. Headlights in the review mirror. Ordinary items, like culverts, that to Josh represented hiding places.

"His head was on a pivot," Randy says.

While home, Josh withdrew periodically from family festivities.

"'You've got to forgive me. But I can't be around people too much,'" Ellen remembers him saying.

But he was glad to be in Grundy Center.

"He kept saying, 'I'm so happy to be home,'" Ellen says.

Randy remembers Josh taking time to smell flowers and touch leaves still hanging on trees. He talked little about what he had experienced. Peace eluded Josh, especially at night.

"Of course, you heard him. The bad dreams," Ellen says.

Their son would call out while sleeping, usually "No" or "Stop" or some other military command.

"He didn't really want to go back. But he didn't want to leave his buddies either," Randy says.

Josh fulfilled his obligation. He returned to Iraq after about 10 days.

"We just got him pretty well rested and fed," Ellen says.

The couple was concerned. Looking back, they realize they witnessed the serious effects of combat-stress reaction.

"'I'm fine. I can handle it. I've got it under control,'" Ellen remembers Josh repeating several times.

"I didn't know enough," she adds.

"And he was putting on a pretty good act for us," Randy says.

Headed home

Josh completed his tour of duty in Iraq on his 21st birthday in November 2004. He later told his parents the company expected to spend three weeks in Kuwait. At another point, Josh believed he would be at Fort McCoy in Wisconsin for three months.

In reality, the soldiers were in Iowa within a week.

As the Omvigs explain the transition, Josh "went from fifth gear to first gear" in a few days.

For many troops returning to the United States, the fastest way out is the preferred path. Though sick, Josh declined an opportunity to visit the infirmary in Wisconsin.

Randy explains a soldier's option at that point.

"Do I say yes and have to stay, or do I say no and go home to my family?"

When he arrived in Iowa, the next day was Thanksgiving. On Friday, Josh returned to work in Des Moines.

Ellen and Randy knew their son was suffering. Josh, however, continued to assert he could handle the situation. He expressed concern that talking with an Army counselor, admitting a mental health issue, conceding he needed help would damage his career.

"We even tried to get him to go get private help that we would pay for," Ellen says. "He said, 'Nope. They will find out.'"

Ellen suggested seeking therapy by using an assumed name. Josh rejected the idea, shocked his mother might condone lying.

The specifics about what troubled their son and to what extent remained a mystery.

"You get short conversations," Ellen says. "Loving and kind. But short."

Other veterans later told Randy and Ellen that Josh at times appeared to want to discuss something. The veterans did not press the issue, giving the soldier space to proceed at his pace. Josh inevitably let the moments pass, the veterans said.

The security firm put out pink slips and Josh was out of work. He moved into his parents' home in Grundy Center and --- still considering a career in law enforcement --- enrolled at Ellsworth Community College.

While waiting for classes to begin, Josh commuted to a part-time job in Des Moines. At one point, he shared a conversation with his father, notable because of its length and content.

"'Dad, I just want to be happy like you,'" Randy remembers.

Josh repeated the thought several times.

An aunt, Julie Westly of Sioux City, and others in the family also knew about Josh's "deep, deep depression."

"We all encouraged him to get help. But he was so afraid because he thought his career would be over," Westly says.

Weeks played out, and casual observers in Grundy Center might not have noticed any change in Josh. He started helping as a crossing guard for the elementary school, setting out stop signs. He volunteered with the Grundy Center Fire Department, bounding out of the Omvigs' home when his pager sounded.

"He loved it. He loved to help people," Randy says.

Getting up in the night for an emergency hardly seemed an inconvenience.

"'Well I don't sleep anyway, Mom,'" Ellen remembers him saying.

Josh altered his career goal slightly. He still wanted to be a policeman, but in a small community.

"Mostly, he wanted to be happy," Randy says. "I knew what he meant."

Besides restless nights, Josh experienced flashbacks. Unfamiliar sounds sparked an undeniable urge to examine his parents' property --- in military terms, to secure the perimeter.

Ellen and Randy know Josh would circle their lot. He may have gone farther into the neighborhood.

"I don't know. We didn't follow him," Ellen says,.

Josh occasionally shared thoughts that his mother did not understand.

"'I don't want you to hate me,'" she remembers him saying.

At the time, Ellen interpreted the comment as a reflection on tasks performed in combat. Attempts to reassure that she would never hate her son were only marginally effective.

"'What you had to do over there is what you had to do to survive,'" Ellen remembers saying.

Josh admitted another problem.

"He talked about hearing voices, seeing faces," Randy says.

Ellen pressed her son on one occasion about what he meant.

"He said Iraqi people."

Bad to worse

Josh had an ally in Iraq. Ellen and Randy know him only as Ray.

The soldiers were assigned to each other as battle buddies during boot camp because they were standing in line together.

"They ended up good friends," Ellen says.

Toward the end of December, Josh apparently learned Ray had been killed in Iraq. The soldier's death followed unfortunately close to the funeral for Jimmie Kitch, Ellen's mother.

On Dec. 21, Josh went out drinking, an uncharacteristic event, according to his father and others.

"I've never seen him drink a beer," Westly says.

At some point during the evening, Josh's truck and another vehicle went into a ditch along Orange Road and got stuck in snow. Josh and the other driver left the area. When they returned in a third car with two other people, a police officer from Hudson and Black Hawk County sheriff's deputies were at the scene.

According to their report, the deputies smelled alcohol on Josh's breath and he failed two of three field sobriety tests. They arrested Josh for operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

Josh got out of the Black Hawk County Jail at 9 a.m. Ellen remembers by 11 he was home in Grundy Center. It was a Thursday.

He shaved and put on his desert fatigues. He said he wouldn't be going to work. At the time, Ellen remembered a conversation about visiting a friend and didn't think anything unusual. There was also mention of helping a recruiter talk with prospective young men and women, which Josh had done in the past.

He asked his mother for their pastor's telephone number. And a sheet of paper. He wanted to write a few things down.

Ellen tore a piece out of a spiral notebook, shearing off one corner. Josh said the damaged page was good enough. Ellen remembers her son's demeanor as calm.

Josh later handed his mother a note and went out a back door. Ellen read the words but didn't understand. Josh described joining his buddies. She at first thought that meant re-enlisting, a possibility Josh had entertained.

She went after him.

"I wanted him to talk to his dad," Ellen says.

"Then it finally hit her what he was talking about," Randy adds.

Josh was in his truck. The doors were locked. Ellen pleaded with her son to not do what he was contemplating. Her appeals turned to screams.

Ellen did not the time Josh had already called a friend, police officer Terry Oltman. He asked Oltman to stop by the house in a few minutes.

Seeing what was developing, Oltman ordered Ellen away from the car, she remembers. Ellen refused to leave her son.

Josh raised a handgun and fired a single shot. He turned his head slightly to avoid possibly injuring his mother.

"I just can't believe how much can happen in one minute," Ellen says.

Father and mother want information in their son's suicide note held privately. Save for the closing thought:

"I will always love you. Josh."

The family buried their soldier with help from the U.S. Army Reserve 339th Military Police Company. Josh Omvig was 22.

"He thought it would get better because he was home," Westly says. "And it never got better. It got worse."

Josh told his mother once he died in Iraq. But he kept living for another year.

___________________________________________________________________________________

In honor of Joshua Omvig, Nicoticket will upgrade or toss a freebie in on all orders shipping to APO, FPO, or DPO addresses. It's a small token of our appreciation for the men and women of the US Military whom serve overseas, and, a small way for us to carry the memory of Josh forward. Thank you, and God Bless you all.

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
Moving story, Clark......I'm crying now for the first time since my Mom passed away 5 years ago...
My own military experience was 3 years as 1st/4th District Comm Liaison in NAVMARCOR/MARS Traffic Net....
Didn't go to 'Nam..... SS # was 363....and had a Student Deferment.....
To ALL who have served - or ARE serving.....
THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!!

CheriePie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
cheriepie.com
I don't talk about it much but suffice to say one of my uncles was a Vietnam vet who returned from the war never quite right. He was my mother's youngest brother, the baby of a large Italian family, whom all the other brothers and sisters felt very protective over. But when he returned from Nam, actually released on a medical condition, he resorted to heavy drinking, became an alcoholic, and ended up killing himself with drink, damaging his liver and kidneys beyond repair.

He was my favorite uncle growing up, and at least he was around until I was an adult. However, he was no longer self sufficient, lived in assisted living thru the VA Hospital, and took lots of medications to try to keep him off the alcohol. He had weekend leaves from the house so he usually stayed with us every weekend. Even after my mom moved off to Las Vegas (she's in Cali now like me) when I was in my 20s, I would often take Uncle G over for weekends, and my mom's other sister, still living in MA, would take him all the other weekends.

I share this now only to let you know that even those of us who don't talk about it often have a story to tell, something they hold close to their heart, but only let out under very rare circumstances. The sharing of your own family story Clark was that catalyst which prompted me to finally share my own. Thank you for that.

And lots of love and respect for those who serve our country. <3

Silense

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
Boulder
Amazing story Kent, very sad and very hard to read, ty for sharing. That's AWESOME you are giving our military discounts, definetely deserve it. True hero's of our Country. I had a brother get killed in combat in 2009 and it's very tough to deal with, but for him I know he would of done it over again if he could. True hero and words can't describe the heroism of many of our soldiers. My hats off to you boys.

R.I.P. to all the men and women who have fought and sacrificed it all for the place we call home.
Vape ON

Last edited:

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Hey was a good man. He always "looked up to me" - I was a few years old than him, always one step ahead... I wish I could have been there to help him, but I had no idea what was going on. PTSD was a concept foreign to me at the time, and he was half-way across the state of Iowa so I didn't see him with the kind of regularity I could have (or should have). I hope it inspires some compassion for the folks that experience similar symptoms. I also hope it inspires some of the returning soliders to seek out the help they need.

I guess I would have said...

There's no shame in having come back from deployment with PTSD.

You're not "weak" because the things you have seen, or done, caused trauma. These are perfectly normal reactions to extreme circumstances.

Although it is certainly not a "easy road" - help is available. For many it gets worse before it gets better. Reach out to someone you trust before things get out of control...

JohnDaddyo

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
Tampa Bay
Clark, obviously, I'm not your best friend...hmm:facepalm:
I see how well respected you are. In our brief messages back and forth, I knew there was something special about you. I could feel your integrity through the bandwidth. A good guy.
If we were closer, logistically, I'd be begging for help cleaning my attic.

Peace and Love, Peace and Love

your pal,
John

I also served. I feel your pain. The crushing agony of feeling guilty that you could have somehow stopped what he was going to do weighs on a person. If you are struggling or in pain the Veteran's Hospital is there to help any Veteran. 1-800-273-8255, Call it. Someone is there to listen.

I am glad you told us about your 1st cousin. Thank you.

Timbuck55

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2014
Queens, New York, United States
Years ago it was very "weak" for a Soldier to admit to PTSD and frowned upon in the combat arms world by other Soldiers. The Army is moving away from that big time in the past few years. People are encouraged to get help and to talk to somebody. It's a much "nicer" Army then it used to be. Thanks for the story Kent.

Timbuck55

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2014
Queens, New York, United States
Some of that stigma lingers (it does in the wider population - I mean, mental health in general gets a bad rap). If you get the flu, or the common cold - you do something about it (get treatment). It shouldn't be any different with mental health issues.

Very true. I can even remember years ago feeling sick and was told "suck it up." I remember rebreaking my collarbone doing push-ups and my sergeant at the time told me to drink water and I'll be fine. Thankfully the Army is moving away from that mentality. PTSD is taken very serious nowadays and Soldiers are starting to seek treatment.

My best friend who I deployed to Iraq with in 2006 killed himself 2 years ago. Nobody saw any signs. One night he got drunk and laid on train tracks. It's extremely sad that the military just now started to care about mental behavior like PTSD or Shell Shock for the Vietnam Vets.

Edit: Wow, just realized it was 2 years ago today he passed. Crazy.

Last edited:

Gators

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
Virginia, USA
I hadn't come across this thread before, but I just happened to start clicking on the bolded stickies and read over the story. Just so happens that a couple weeks ago, my friend's brother took his own life, who had been suffering from poor mental health for years. And just last week, another friend's army buddy took his own life, as well. They had served together just a few years ago in Iraq. A couple stats he shared were astounding -- 1,892 vets took their own life in the first 3 months of 2014 alone. Some 22+ vets take their life each day.

Commemorating Suicides, Vets Plant 1,892 Flags on National Mall - ABC News

Kevin33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2014
Kaiserslautern, Germany
It's a real shame. March 2014 is the first month in more than a decade with no combat casualties. Of course, many of those 1,892 suicides are due to combat.

It's a big problem for the Army, we go through a lot of training, but it's really hard to compensate someone or change someone's view on life when they've lost their will to live. I think that it's not only PTSD, but when you go through so much hardship and are so close to death multiple times, you have accepted death and you're life doesn't mean as much to you. You lose that fear of death, so when something negative happens in your life, it turns into a viable option.

I've been lucky in my units over the past 9 years, only three suicides. We didn't see any of them coming except maybe the one in Iraq. It's real cool that Clark and Katy support the Armed Forces, although I gotta say, even them just shipping to APO boxes and me looking forward to that purple package in the mail greatly improves my quality of life. :) Thanks again!

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Moving story, Clark......I'm crying now for the first time since my Mom passed away 5 years ago...
My own military experience was 3 years as 1st/4th District Comm Liaison in NAVMARCOR/MARS Traffic Net....
Didn't go to 'Nam..... SS # was 363....and had a Student Deferment.....
To ALL who have served - or ARE serving.....
THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!!

Sorry for the delay in the reply DBC - this thread is hard for me to visit and comment on - but, I wanted to say thank you for your service and sacrifice. I'm glad the story touched your heart!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread