Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
I am without words to express my sadness at reading this as I sit here with tears running down my face. As the widow of a disabled Viet Nam vet who served with the 101st Airborne this really touches my heart.

Prayers be with you and your family regarding your husband Claudia. Love you lots. <3

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
I don't talk about it much but suffice to say one of my uncles was a Vietnam vet who returned from the war never quite right. He was my mother's youngest brother, the baby of a large Italian family, whom all the other brothers and sisters felt very protective over. But when he returned from Nam, actually released on a medical condition, he resorted to heavy drinking, became an alcoholic, and ended up killing himself with drink, damaging his liver and kidneys beyond repair.

He was my favorite uncle growing up, and at least he was around until I was an adult. However, he was no longer self sufficient, lived in assisted living thru the VA Hospital, and took lots of medications to try to keep him off the alcohol. He had weekend leaves from the house so he usually stayed with us every weekend. Even after my mom moved off to Las Vegas (she's in Cali now like me) when I was in my 20s, I would often take Uncle G over for weekends, and my mom's other sister, still living in MA, would take him all the other weekends.

I share this now only to let you know that even those of us who don't talk about it often have a story to tell, something they hold close to their heart, but only let out under very rare circumstances. The sharing of your own family story Clark was that catalyst which prompted me to finally share my own. Thank you for that.

And lots of love and respect for those who serve our country. <3

I've read and re-read this story a dozen times now and I am always at a loss with regard to "what do you say." It's a sad state of affairs because we send young men abroad and the people who return don't appear to be the same people we said goodbye to. Lost, so to speak. Thank you so much for sharing this story (you generally don't share a great deal of your personal life, so I appreciate that).

Your uncle was very lucky to have yourself and a great support system. It seems as though alcohol is a recurring theme in these stories. Having done my internship in a long-term residential treatment center, and having worked with many veterans not unlike your uncle, I can tell you that having support from family (someone to listen, someone they can trust) is often the key determiner of whether someone is able to recover a significant portion of "who they were" before they went into combat.

Love ya lots CP - prayers for you and ALL the veterans around the world whom have served and sacrificed.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Amazing story Kent, very sad and very hard to read, ty for sharing. That's AWESOME you are giving our military discounts, definetely deserve it. True hero's of our Country. I had a brother get killed in combat in 2009 and it's very tough to deal with, but for him I know he would of done it over again if he could. True hero and words can't describe the heroism of many of our soldiers. My hats off to you boys.

R.I.P. to all the men and women who have fought and sacrificed it all for the place we call home.
vape ON

Prayers be with you and your family - thank you to your brother whom offered up the ultimate sacrifice. Truly, a hero.

The discount/freebies/upgrades pale in comparison to the sacrifices that men and women like your brother paid.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
A good retrieval of information.

It can be hard to live life on life's terms, especially for an 18 year old.

I started in El Salvador and continued to the current. I leave again in two weeks as a civilian. I have done the counseling, I stay on my meds, and have gotten sober. One of the things that I learned was that nothing was in my hands, and therefore not my responsibility alone. This will be my second trip since my changes and the first seemed easier to deal with. I care about the 18 year olds, I think my Higher Power would want that and so I do that in His service.

Things may be winding down, but the threat sees complacency. Numbers may be smaller, but so are troop levels. The press doesn't see it as profitable, so the encouragement and support are less felt.

Job hiring managers can't legally ask some rather pertinent questions, but they are another avenue of support. Its very good to have hallway conversations or out on the job site. Be supportive in this issue and be open to help the damaged. I wish there were enough VA counselors to keep an eye on these returning young servicemen and women. A quarterly visit and investigation of difficulties would help. But, in the mean time, the family and community need to pull together.

Thanks Kent, I think we spoke just a bit earlier via e-mail. I was the one that needed the pre-steeped juice.

Jere

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Clark, obviously, I'm not your best friend...hmm:facepalm:
I see how well respected you are. In our brief messages back and forth, I knew there was something special about you. I could feel your integrity through the bandwidth. A good guy.
If we were closer, logistically, I'd be begging for help cleaning my attic.

Peace and Love, Peace and Love

your pal,
John

Thank you for the kind words John - for what it's worth... I'd love to come clean your attic. :) I hope you're talking about between your ears not the real attic though, I'd have to task the crew for that kind of thing - I'm not as young as I once was. ;)

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
I also served. I feel your pain. The crushing agony of feeling guilty that you could have somehow stopped what he was going to do weighs on a person. If you are struggling or in pain the Veteran's Hospital is there to help any Veteran. 1-800-273-8255, Call it. Someone is there to listen.

I am glad you told us about your 1st cousin. Thank you.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice CSN - and you're absolutely right, the worst part is being "too late" and not seeing the signs. Also - thank you for sharing the hotline, I had the suicide prevention hotline in my phone and didn't even thing to share it... well played!

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Very true. I can even remember years ago feeling sick and was told "suck it up." I remember rebreaking my collarbone doing push-ups and my sergeant at the time told me to drink water and I'll be fine. Thankfully the Army is moving away from that mentality. PTSD is taken very serious nowadays and Soldiers are starting to seek treatment.

My best friend who I deployed to Iraq with in 2006 killed himself 2 years ago. Nobody saw any signs. One night he got drunk and laid on train tracks. It's extremely sad that the military just now started to care about mental behavior like PTSD or Shell Shock for the Vietnam Vets.

Edit: Wow, just realized it was 2 years ago today he passed. Crazy.

Thank you for your service Timbuck, and my sincerest condolences for your best friend. Two years later, he is not forgotten - he lives on in your heart and mind.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
I hadn't come across this thread before, but I just happened to start clicking on the bolded stickies and read over the story. Just so happens that a couple weeks ago, my friend's brother took his own life, who had been suffering from poor mental health for years. And just last week, another friend's army buddy took his own life, as well. They had served together just a few years ago in Iraq. A couple stats he shared were astounding -- 1,892 vets took their own life in the first 3 months of 2014 alone. Some 22+ vets take their life each day.

Commemorating Suicides, Vets Plant 1,892 Flags on National Mall - ABC News

My condolences for your service connected friends - thank you for sharing their stories. Just in this thread, it's scary to see how many lives have been touched by PTSD.

The statistics you have cited are staggering, but (unfortunately) not wholly surprising. I salute the men and women who work at the VA and endeavor to save as many as is humanly possible...

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
It's a real shame. March 2014 is the first month in more than a decade with no combat casualties. Of course, many of those 1,892 suicides are due to combat.

It's a big problem for the Army, we go through a lot of training, but it's really hard to compensate someone or change someone's view on life when they've lost their will to live. I think that it's not only PTSD, but when you go through so much hardship and are so close to death multiple times, you have accepted death and you're life doesn't mean as much to you. You lose that fear of death, so when something negative happens in your life, it turns into a viable option.

I've been lucky in my units over the past 9 years, only three suicides. We didn't see any of them coming except maybe the one in Iraq. It's real cool that Clark and Katy support the Armed Forces, although I gotta say, even them just shipping to APO boxes and me looking forward to that purple package in the mail greatly improves my quality of life. :) Thanks again!

Thank you for your service Kevin! I know there are lots of companies not shipping to APO/FPO/DPO addresses due to liability issues, slow delivery times, etc. High risk or not, we're not going to discontinue shipping to APOs, ever.

You have been exceptionally lucky in your units - I do think they are taking the challenge seriously and that those in command have genuine concern for the men and women (and their families) whom may be suffering from PTSD. I can identify with your statements about being "desensitized to death" - it seems both plausible and probable that after having brushed up with death so many times the inevitability of it all becomes somewhat overwhelming. The other part of it is... survivors guilt. Josh lost his battle buddy in Iraq and he felt up until his death that he should have been there for his battle buddy, or even that it should have been him instead.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
SPC Joshua Lee Omvig, will remain a hero with wings and may he rest easy.

PTSD takes over families of returning troops, there is no cure, there is no medicine, only help and support!

PH and CIB (OIF 9-20-2006)
PTSD Veteran
Infantry Staff Sergeant (Med Ret)

/salute

Thank you for your service, as well as for your positive thoughts/prayers.

You're absolutely correct that for some of the affected families, symptom management is the best case scenario - time does heal to some degree though. <3

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
A good retrieval of information.

It can be hard to live life on life's terms, especially for an 18 year old.

I started in El Salvador and continued to the current. I leave again in two weeks as a civilian. I have done the counseling, I stay on my meds, and have gotten sober. One of the things that I learned was that nothing was in my hands, and therefore not my responsibility alone. This will be my second trip since my changes and the first seemed easier to deal with. I care about the 18 year olds, I think my Higher Power would want that and so I do that in His service.

Things may be winding down, but the threat sees complacency. Numbers may be smaller, but so are troop levels. The press doesn't see it as profitable, so the encouragement and support are less felt.

Job hiring managers can't legally ask some rather pertinent questions, but they are another avenue of support. Its very good to have hallway conversations or out on the job site. Be supportive in this issue and be open to help the damaged. I wish there were enough VA counselors to keep an eye on these returning young servicemen and women. A quarterly visit and investigation of difficulties would help. But, in the mean time, the family and community need to pull together.

Thanks Kent, I think we spoke just a bit earlier via e-mail. I was the one that needed the pre-steeped juice.

Jere

Part of the challenge (based on research) is that the human brain is still developing into the mid-late 20s... so, these young men (18ish) are in the midst of a pivotal time in their lives.

You are absolutely right in the respect that, at least in the case of recovery, "giving it up to your higher power" - works. Thank you kindly for your service, and your timely contribution to this thread!

I recall the convo Jere - good call on the BG and the Gravity - you'll be pleased with what arrives I hope! We'll have some pre-steeped love headed your way asap!

DixieDawn

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2014
Dallas, TX, USA
Oh my stars, my own son is currently deployed overseas in the Navy, it took me forever to stop crying long enough to be able to post.

I'm so sorry for the pain and loss that will always be felt within your family. I have nothing but respect for your Hero, and I believe that he is resting at peace now, having done what was asked of him in the name of protecting his country.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Oh my stars, my own son is currently deployed overseas in the Navy, it took me forever to stop crying long enough to be able to post.

I'm so sorry for the pain and loss that will always be felt within your family. I have nothing but respect for your Hero, and I believe that he is resting at peace now, having done what was asked of him in the name of protecting his country.

Thank you to your son, as well as to you and your family for supporting him.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
I'm so sorry, Kent. As the widow of a WW II vet, the mother-in-law of disabled gulf war vet and the grandmother of a newly polished Marine who left for his first deployment this morning, I can tell you that you have squeezed my heart and wet my eyes with your story. So very sad.

Thank you kindly to your late husband, your son-in-law, and your grandson! We are deeply indebted to them for their sacrifice, and to you for supporting them. Bless you and your family, we'll be praying hard for his safe return.

Thank you for your service Kevin! I know there are lots of companies not shipping to APO/FPO/DPO addresses due to liability issues, slow delivery times, etc. High risk or not, we're not going to discontinue shipping to APOs, ever.

You have been exceptionally lucky in your units - I do think they are taking the challenge seriously and that those in command have genuine concern for the men and women (and their families) whom may be suffering from PTSD. I can identify with your statements about being "desensitized to death" - it seems both plausible and probable that after having brushed up with death so many times the inevitability of it all becomes somewhat overwhelming. The other part of it is... survivors guilt. Josh lost his battle buddy in Iraq and he felt up until his death that he should have been there for his battle buddy, or even that it should have been him instead.

I wanted to thank everyone for all the kind words about my little brother. Our entire family is grateful for the outpouring of support over the years.

I also want to thank all of our service members and their families who are currently serving overseas. As an OEF veteran with 3 deployments behind me I know the heartache of being separated from your loved ones.

Finally, I want to thank my cousin Kent for what he’s doing to support our troops. Mailing packages APO/FPO/DPO is often a crapshoot and even if you do get your packages they sometimes look like they were shot out of a canon! Kent doesn’t hesitant to do right for our folks serving in uniform overseas – Thanks Cous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread