Ex smokers and nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussiePJ

Jun 6, 2017
Greetings all,

Currently on my third and hopefully final wave of vaping.

First attempt was in 2010 with a dodgy cartomizer running 24mg juice. Wasn't a fan and went back to analogues.

In 2013 I tried again with clearomizers with 18mg & 12mg juices, much better but still ended back on the ciggies.

A few weeks ago I picked up the Smok V8 kit locally but being in Australia couldn't purchase nicotine juice so tried running it with my old 18mg juice. This was too strong for me with this more powerful device so I purchased some local 0mg juice to thin it out.

That worked out ok but the mixed flavours weren't fantastic so I found the better solution was to run the 0mg juice in my tank then drip the 18mg when I needed a fix.

A couple of weeks have passed, I have invested in a mod, tanks, coils and a range of 0mg juices.. I have run out of the small amount of 18mg juice I had and I am now dripping 12mg Halo Tribeca on a range of 0mg juices.

The flavour combination isn't always fantastic but it does the job and I am doing more and more 0mg vaping.

The logical solution of course is to buy some unflavoured nicotine base and mix it with my 0mg flavours but I am currently wondering whether it would be better to fill my tanks at 3-5mg/ml or keep my tanks at 0mg and mix up a drip bottle of whatever flavour I am running at 10+mg and continue to drip when I need a hit.

Interested in hearing other peoples experience.

Last edited:

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Welcome Aussie. I've had the same delimea in the past. I would need to cut down my liquids with 0 nic to get the sweet spot. Eventually I worked it all out to where I settled at 6mg, currently at 3mg but adding extra flavoring I tend to use it less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: AussiePJ

AussiePJ

Jun 6, 2017
Cost isn't really a major factor for me, dropping a $30/day habit leaves a fair bit of play money.

What I am trying to work out is if I am better off mixing up low strength tanks so each and every vape is a slight nicotine hit, or if I should keep my tanks at 0mg and drip a higher strength nicotine when I need it.

I guess the other question is, how many ex-smokers still vape nicotine long after giving up the smokes.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I've been doing this for over 4.5 years.. Still using nicotine.
Now and then I feel the need for more than the 3mg I mix up give me..
Considering I started with 48mg (former little cigar smoker), dropped to 36 for a while, then the normal 21, 18, 12, 9, 6 and now 3mg.
Of course, through all this, my gear got better or actually I found what I needed to keep me off the smokes.

I DIY all my eliquids, most of the wife's. There is a lot of trial and error in vaping if you really want to stick with it. Maybe your current method will work for you.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Cost isn't really a major factor for me, dropping a $30/day habit leaves a fair bit of play money.

What I am trying to work out is if I am better off mixing up low strength tanks so each and every vape is a slight nicotine hit, or if I should keep my tanks at 0mg and drip a higher strength nicotine when I need it.

I guess the other question is, how many ex-smokers still vape nicotine long after giving up the smokes.
Whatever works to keep you from smoking is the right thing to do. If 0mg tanks and dripping higher nicotine is working, stay at it. Although, it wouldn't hurt to have some unflavored nicotine on hand to mix with your flavors for when you need the nic hit but can't drip.

Some of us have no desire to completely give up nicotine. It improves cognitive functions and has shown promise in the treatment (and perhaps prevention?) of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases. I figure at my age, I need all the help I can get. I have sometimers disease. I sometimes forget things. ;)

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
What gear are you using SupplyDaddy?
Remember that what someone else uses doesn't always work for others.

Currently I use mostly DIY PWM devices for power and my tanks are mostly eleaf Melo II's, III' and Ello mini XL tanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you find a juice you like, such as Tribeca (I always liked that one) buy one bottle of 18 or 24 mg and a second bottle of 0 or 3 mg juice. Now you can mix these proportionally to whatever nic concentration you want, and as the base liquid and flavorings are the same, no dilution of the flavoring will occur.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Greetings all,

Currently on my third and hopefully final wave of vaping.

First attempt was in 2010 with a dodgy cartomizer running 24mg juice. Wasn't a fan and went back to analogues.

In 2013 I tried again with clearomizers with 18mg & 12mg juices, much better but still ended back on the ciggies.

A few weeks ago I picked up the Smok V8 kit locally but being in Australia couldn't purchase nicotine juice so tried running it with my old 18mg juice. This was too strong for me with this more powerful device so I purchased some local 0mg juice to thin it out.

That worked out ok but the mixed flavours weren't fantastic so I found the better solution was to run the 0mg juice in my tank then drip the 18mg when I needed a fix.

A couple of weeks have passed, I have invested in a mod, tanks, coils and a range of 0mg juices.. I have run out of the small amount of 18mg juice I had and I am now dripping 12mg Halo Tribeca on a range of 0mg juices.

The flavour combination isn't always fantastic but it does the job and I am doing more and more 0mg vaping.

The logical solution of course is to buy some unflavoured nicotine base and mix it with my 0mg flavours but I am currently wondering whether it would be better to fill my tanks at 3-5mg/ml or keep my tanks at 0mg and mix up a drip bottle of whatever flavour I am running at 10+mg and continue to drip when I need a hit.

Interested in hearing other peoples experience.

I have always vaped with nicotine, first to get me through the withdrawals to get off cigarettes, then to simply maintain because I never even considered trying anything else, then for taste alone.

The answer for you is vaping is an individual experience, it's about what you enjoy, what keeps you off smokes, what you want out of vaping, and what you want to do with vaping in the future.

If you eventually want off nicotine I would suggest to continue doing what your doing if it's working for you, as I imagine that stepping down from a few puffs a day to be easier than changing the taste of your e juice as a whole. (I can taste a difference between zero nicotine and nicotine e juice) But most vapers just find whatever level of nicotine that works and vape with nicotine all day.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I quickly learned that I need the hand to mouth action often. So I dropped the nic level. If I really need a nic buzz I turn it up two watts and I'm good.

After 35 yrs @ a pack and a half daily, I don't think it was the nic I was ever after. Just a warm relaxing inhale. Particularly nice during cold weather. It's my Valium really. Life is too freaky for me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread