what about weight gain???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmomom

Aug 1, 2012
Georgia
I know you know this (having owned a fitness center) , but "all that much more" isn't scientific measurement. How much MORE? :) 500 calories? 1,000? 1,500? How much fat, sugar? It adds up. :)

I dunno if you were younger back then, or are still pretty young, but skipping meals would slow my metabolism to a CRAWL. :) I'm in my 50s.....the key to keeping metabolism working is to eat often........but eat the right things.

Under that regimen, I would probably have gained more than 12 pounds.

Ice cream? + not as active? Probably a pound or so sounds about right.

Of course, you should enjoy the cake and stuff, it was your birthday. :)

You are so right on all counts I think!! Yes, I was younger back then and I was literally starving myself ... couldn't teach classes on full stomach so didn't eat much of anything during the day ... and ya, really did do alot more .... used to do lifecycle plus all my classes. But, that was back then ... this is now and I've learned to eat more .... and eat better and it works. So, hopefully, this week I'll level off!! Thanx for the comments!!:)

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
The most simplistic way to lose weight to to find some form of exercise that we enjoy...health and weight loss will follow and you won't even notice the "work" it took. To me being healthy is not only about eating right, cardio, respiratory, muscle tone, etc but also being in a happy state. I know someone that worked out and absolutely HATED it. I introduced her to tennis and she's now exercising regularly but. more importantly, enjoying herself and now looks forward to her workout/ tennis. Have a degree in Kinesiology.

Last edited:

mmomom

Aug 1, 2012
Georgia
ok so i have had a little gain maybe 5 lbs but that is mainly from my McD's and Hardee's diet and like no excersize. My job is kind of a time drain. A lot of dead time. but here is the my 2 cents. (i know you have owned/operated but gotta take a step back to the basics)

A common misconception that people have is that eating less will make you lose weight. WRONG!!!! Eating right will actually make you lose weight. Your body need certain things to stay healthy. Fats, Carbs, Protien, etc. yes i said fats. there are good fats that you need. just google "good fats" and you'll get the idea. carbs translate into calories. calories in definition is a measurement of energy. Proteins help build and maintain muscles. Eating right can help you to maintain and even lose weight. You need to look at what you are eating. it will make a world of difference. if your really having trouble, then talk to a nutritionist. does a world of wonders.

as far as hitting the gym, there are a thousand different ways to work out. some are for "bulking" some are for "toning" and some are for "trimming". people get a misconception that lots of cardio will burn fat. truth is if you wanna burn fat off then you need to exert more energy (calories) then you take in. your fat stores in you body, think of them as energy stores. you have to work you body to the point where it has to use its stored energy. cardio does this but only if you do it right. this is exactly how you do it with cardio:

as far as nicotine goes, it is an appetite suppressor. drinking water is key to that. filling your belly with water will give you the full feeling and suppress appetite as well.

if you want some help with this stuff you might check out: Muscle & Strength: #1 Muscle Building & Fat Loss Site + Supplement Store

lots of help and advice on what to do there. as well as a lot of support.

good luck and best wishes.

(p.s. keep off the smokes, they really aren't worth it. they may help you lose weight but in the end you do more bad then good. being healthy takes work but is more rewarding.)

Thanx for the input!! You're right on all counts ... and I found that out ... like I said, I owned the gym years ago, but back then things were also different, I didn't do alot of weight training, mostly just aerobics and I didn't eat much at all .... nothing pretty much all day till dinner putting my body in starvation mode. Since going back to the gym and working with a trainer have changed all that ... protien shake in the morning ... good, healthy small meals during the day ... lots of fruits and veggies and as you say 'good' fats but never go more than 30 grams (except for occasionally splurging, like on my b-day, LOL!) .... guess I just wanted some input from others doing this on what happened with them. I just want to stay in my size, lean body fat percentage and weight range .... so I'll get back to my routine this week and keep off the butts!! I'm still amazed that I'm actually doing this!! Never thought I'd give them up .... ya me!! LOL!!:)

mmomom

Aug 1, 2012
Georgia
If you gain weight its from eating to much. Ether don't allow your self to snack or exercise more. Would you rather weigh a couple of pounds extra or die a slow agonizing death from some sort of cancer or lung disease.
Sounds to me like your leaving a door open so you can go back to analogs with out any guilt. Addiction is funny that way its just as much if not more in your head as physical. Thats why it such a hard thing to beat. In my opinion if you gain weight its of your own doing not because of vaping or patches ect.... those things don't have calories or trans or saturated fat.
If you want to quit smoking with vaping go for it you will probably be successful but don't sabotage your self and give your self a reason to go back to smoking before you quit, you've all ready lost the battle before you started.
Good luck!

Thanx for the input!! You're right ... it's definitely a 'head' thing and who knows, maybe I was leaving that door open. I know I'll feel better if I drop that extra pound and a 1/2 and get back to my routine this week. I'm still amazed I'm actually doing this!! I'm tired of feeling like a second class citizen, listening to my husband complain ... popping the breath mints, hiding, all the things we do when smoking. This is sort of a 'freedom' thing .... and I'm liking it!! Thanx again and I'll keep you posted!!:)

mmomom

Aug 1, 2012
Georgia
There are 2 reasons X-smokers gain weight. The lose of nicotine and the oral fixation.

Nicotine is a stimulant, so you will naturally gain weight when your body slows down.
The oral fixation is usually replaced by eating. Your not putting the cigarette to your mouth - its replaced with chips, chocolate, etc. vaping replaces both of these very very smoothly I think.

I agree ... and I definitely like the 'habit' of the hand to mouth thing with the fake cig!! I'll get back to the exercise and watching the eating this week. Right now I'm on the lowest dose nicotine (using the V2 6 ... next one down is nothing but flavor) so we'll see how it goes ... but this sure is working so far .... just need to keep a lid on the weight thing!! Cuz I know me ... I'll go back and I DON'T want to do that .... this is really so freeing!!:)

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
3 months!! Good for you! Good luck in the Marathon! Although I've done aerobics for years ... I like the classes, hate the machines, but do it anyway ... I still wonder exactly 'why' people run!! LOL!! Just never was for me, but I certainly take my hat off to people who do it. My daughter in law does it alot and one of my daughters did one last year. Another friend who runs with my daughter in law does them all the time (daughter in law smokes, btw!!) .... they are thinking of the Princess Run this coming February at Disney World ... hubby and I thinking it's an excuse to go to Disney and cheer them on ... I say go for it!! Enjoy and keep up the good work!!

The Princess Marathon has become quite popular since we started it, but of course the big one in January is still the most popular. I wanna do one even if just once, just to be able to say "I did it." :)

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Smoking causes one to be hyperglycemic, that is that you will have an elevated blood sugar level constantly. This is what causes one to eat less when they smoke. After you quit this situation resolves itself and people tend to be hungrier, in addition to the fact that they can now smell and taste better, is a recipe for weight gain disaster. Whether or not hyperglycemia is still a factor when you start vaping with medical grade nicotine is something that is debated over in the Nicotine forums here on ECF. The fact is, like the other people said, you're going to be more active so it should level itself out if that happens in the long term anyway. For others, they prove that it doesn't happen by not gaining weight. So, in any case, if you do gain weight maybe it's time to take an audit of your diet anyway. Do a clean sweep of your life.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Detoxing your diet at the same time you're trying to detox from analogs may not be a good idea. Seems like it would dump a lot into your bloodstream.

Here's some *natural* methods that will help you, in addition to vaping, that have worked for ME:

1) Mix 2 parts epsom salt with 1 part arm & hammer baking soda. Flavor with your favorite essential oil (make sure it's the kind you can use on skin) like lavender. You can leave it out too. This mix literally detoxes your skin and pores, as well as makes muscle aches go away. Skin is the largest "organ" of the body. A lot of people don't think of that.

2) Rescue Remedy (Bach Flower) - This stuff has been around for 30+ years, and is totally safe, even for pregnant women, as a matter of fact, some of my friends used it to calm themselves. My naturapath introduced me to this 20 years ago, it is now available in pastilles to suck on. It really does calm you down and the lozenges are very soothing to mouth and throat, as well as keep the saliva production moving. I need to buy stock in this company. you can also get in dropper form, drop a few drops under tongue like any other homeopathic remedy.

3) IF you want to lose weight, start out simple simple simple. If you move along the liines of something like Dr. Weill's 8 weeks to Optimum Health, you will see that he doesn't say stuff like start a diet and drop umpteen things from your life on day 1. NO. That doesn't work. It's overwhelming, and scares people and they feel like failures.

I think brain research is such that it takes so many days to just change a habit, 21 or 28 or something. So---CHANGE one thing a week. I Just stop doing one thing. For you that may be "no more fast food". For someone else, "no more soda pop." Each time you delete something bad, add something good. By the end of 8 weeks, or 10 weeks or 30 weeks, you will have dropped a lot of bad habits and picke up better ones. And, without shocking yourself emotionally or physically. I see too many people who read diet books and fail because they are dieting, INSTEAD OF MAKING REAL LIFESTYLE CHANGES.

4) I do not like water. I force myself to drink it. INstead, I throw a bunch of vegetables into a pot once a week, simmer it and drink the broth, hot or cold. I'm getting a lot more minerals and vitamins this way. Sometimes i cut it with spring water. Sometimes I put a little chicken and rice in for soup in the afternoon. :)

5) Walk. Walk, walk, and walk. Even if it's just 1/8 mile down to the road where your mailbox is. Walking is one of the single most things that is simple that most people can do to vastly improve their lives. It costs nothing, you don't need equipment or a gym membership. I know a woman who did this and is now a somewhat famous marathon walker, and she's in her 50s. :)

Let me save you the thousands of $ I spent under the care of rheumatologists for 15 years... Start walking. Start now.

Smoking causes one to be hyperglycemic

Yes. It also messes up your lipids so if you're battling high cholesterol not smoking will help

Last edited:

smkd13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2012
Provo, UT
Thanx for the input!! You're right on all counts ... and I found that out ... like I said, I owned the gym years ago, but back then things were also different, I didn't do alot of weight training, mostly just aerobics and I didn't eat much at all .... nothing pretty much all day till dinner putting my body in starvation mode. Since going back to the gym and working with a trainer have changed all that ... protien shake in the morning ... good, healthy small meals during the day ... lots of fruits and veggies and as you say 'good' fats but never go more than 30 grams (except for occasionally splurging, like on my b-day, LOL!) .... guess I just wanted some input from others doing this on what happened with them. I just want to stay in my size, lean body fat percentage and weight range .... so I'll get back to my routine this week and keep off the butts!! I'm still amazed that I'm actually doing this!! Never thought I'd give them up .... ya me!! LOL!!:)

Well I am glad that you are keeping at it. I never did to but things change and then you getting going on it. just gotta keep at it. Smoking is one of the hardest additions to kill because it is more of a mental thing. Physical effects of nicotine are not that prevalent except for a chemical reaction. Change your habits and change your life. Gaining weight will happen but if you keep at it you will have the result you want. Everything is attainable. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread