HELP! Weight gain when switching????

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndysPrincess

Aug 2, 2013
TX
Has anyone noticed any weight gain when switching from analogs to vapor? I have not but I got my dad vaping finally and he was a 1ppd 40 year smoker. He always uses the excuse i gain too much weight when I quit smoking and its healthier for me to smoke than to be obese:facepalm:. I finally got him to try vaping and he cut down to about 3 cigs per day and was doing good. He finally went for broke and quit analogs completely. Two weeks after he had gained 18 lbs and is now back to vaping and smoking 3 -4 a day. He says 18lbs in two weeks is a huge amount of weight and smoking again will make it go away. Am I banging my head against a brick wall here or is there hope??

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
During my first month off cigarettes, there were times when I'd go on a snack rage and scarf down any snack within reach. Chocolate, chips, crackers, you name it. After that first month had passed, things started to settle down and I now snack on healthy stuff like carrots. Did I gain weight? A little. As I don't own a scale, I just go by how tight my britches are getting. :lol:

AndysPrincess

Aug 2, 2013
TX
See thats what I am thinking too. He was USMC and is used to being in great shape but he is retired and on disability now. I think he is just having a hard time dealing with getting older hehe. He eats more chips than anybody I know but he swears he doesnt snack anymore than he did before the only thing that has changed is not smoking! UGGGHHHH! I love him to pieces but 5 heartattacks before age 60 means STOP SMOKING!!! He has too many grandbabies to watch grow up.

Last edited:

lantrick

Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
earth
Maybe the Nicotine level should be higher at first. I had the same concern when I switched because the couple of times I quit cold turkey in the past I gained about 15 pounds to short order. I switched to vaping on 24mg juice, sure I was getting stoned from it but I had zero nicotine craving and no extra desire to eat. Now I vape 16-18mg about 2 months later.

I'm generally an "eat to live" , not "live to eat" sort of person and have no particular aversion to a nicotine high so your milage may vary.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
See thats what I am thinking too. He was USMC and is used to being in great shape but he is retired and on disability now. I think he is just having a hard time dealing with getting older hehe. He eats more chips than anybody I know but he swears he doesnt snack anymore than he did before the only thing that has changed is not smoking! UGGGHHHH! I love him to pieces but 5 heartaches before age 60 means STOP SMOKING!!! He has too many grandbabies to watch grow up.

Heh. No kidding. Retired AF here and my tape worm died years ago. No longer can I scarf down that whole pizza and expect to stay my old skinny self. :lol:

It sounds as if your Dad just needs to adjust his snacking habits. I know I've had to.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
I went from being a string bean to a bit chunky before I quit smoking. I am 54 now. I have had to adjust my eating habits as I have reached middle age. Sure, it sucks but....I have lost five pounds since starting vaping. That is because I drink less sodas and pass on the second helpings:) Vaping has not made me gain weight.

The real problem with my weight is that I am less active than I used to be because of not being able to work as hard as I used to physically due to my joint and muscles not being as resilient as they used to be.

AndysPrincess

Aug 2, 2013
TX
The last heart attack he had really slowed him down and well he was Recon so he is invincible just ask him. I buy most of his vaping supplies and every time i upgrade he gets my old gear. I would spend my lifes savings to keep him vaping if it kept him off cigs. Maybe I can convince him to take walks in the evenings or something to get him up and going again, and find something other than doritos and chips and salsa for him to snack on. God marines can be soooo stubborn!

Vapo Marx

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
New York
I've been carrying around "a few extra" for a long time but I've definitely put on weight since I switched from smoking to vaping. I'm not eating more or differently than I used to, so I think it's because I'm not getting as much exercise as I did when I had to get up and go outside to smoke. If the weather was nice, I'd even take a little stroll as I smoked.

I've been trying to get my dad into vaping, too, with partial success: my sister gave him a V2 kit for Father's Day and he uses it "sometimes." His health is pretty well trashed from almost 60 years of smoking but I'm hoping he comes to realize that even this late in the game, his quality of life will improve if he gives up the smokes.

AndysPrincess

Aug 2, 2013
TX
If he uses the V2 sometimes get some of the EX blanks from them. My dad started with a V2 and liked the blanks and liquid better than the cartos. He had to have the cigalike to start have since moved him up to a twist and He likes using it and totally quit for 2 weeks with no issues thats why its so frustrating. He was there he didnt want the cigarettes he just didnt want to gain anymore weight and in his mind the only thing he was doing different was not smoking. So back they came. My mom is riding his case about it but I dont think she is helping matters at all.

kottonmouth401

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2013
RI, USA
I gained some weight at first. I think that, even with vaping as a substitute, people tend to snack more when they first quit smoking. But now i actually weigh less than i did as a smoker. I've cut waaay down on soda & energy drinks (now its water all day to combat dehydration) and i snack less in the evening because i can satisfy my sweet tooth with vapor instead of food.

AndysPrincess

Aug 2, 2013
TX
I gained some weight at first. I think that, even with vaping as a substitute, people tend to snack more when they first quit smoking. But now i actually weigh less than i did as a smoker. I've cut waaay down on soda & energy drinks (now its water all day to combat dehydration) and i snack less in the evening because i can satisfy my sweet tooth with vapor instead of food.

Thats what my mom keeps trying to tell him is she has lost weight. She wasnt a smoker and vapes 0nic juice to curb the sweet tooth and is losing weight. I chalk it up to being a hard headed marine! Just gonna have to break out the baby blues and beg at this point lol.

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
I've actually lost weight since I started vaping. Because I feel so much better now, I enjoy walking more, that's part of the reason.

But the main thing for me was discovering dessert style vapes. After a meal, if I fancy a cake or ice cream I just vape some of my DIY chocolate caramel with a hint of honey and cream. Zero calories and it takes the cake craving away. I've actually lost almost a stone in weight in the last 5 months :thumbs: Not too sure what that is in lbs though, but it's quite a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread