HELP! Weight gain when switching????

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogana

Aug 28, 2013
United States
I did gain about 5 lbs. when I switched. I think for me it has to do with decreasing the amount of nicotine intake. I started out at 10 mg which wasn't enough to get me off the analogs. I bumped it up to 14 mg and that was great but my favorite juice right now is a 12 and that's when the gain kicked in. Nicotine is the substance in cigarettes that causes weight loss. I'm sure you've heard the old stories of how doctors in the 50's would prescribe smoking as an appetite suppressant to loss weight. Yikes!

AndysPrincess

Aug 2, 2013
TX
I've actually lost weight since I started vaping. Because I feel so much better now, I enjoy walking more, that's part of the reason.

But the main thing for me was discovering dessert style vapes. After a meal, if I fancy a cake or ice cream I just vape some of my DIY chocolate caramel with a hint of honey and cream. Zero calories and it takes the cake craving away. I've actually lost almost a stone in weight in the last 5 months :thumbs: Not too sure what that is in lbs though, but it's quite a lot.

I wish he would even try one dessert style vape he refuses to vape anything but tobacco and says if he wants a cupcake then he will just eat one. THATS OBVIOUS DADDY! LOL I love my daddy but sometimes wow.

AndysPrincess

Aug 2, 2013
TX
I did gain about 5 lbs. when I switched. I think for me it has to do with decreasing the amount of nicotine intake. I started out at 10 mg which wasn't enough to get me off the analogs. I bumped it up to 14 mg and that was great but my favorite juice right now is a 12 and that's when the gain kicked in. Nicotine is the substance in cigarettes that causes weight loss. I'm sure you've heard the old stories of how doctors in the 50's would prescribe smoking as an appetite suppressant to loss weight. Yikes!

OMG totally didnt know that he just dropped down to 12mg from 18mg 2 weeks ago and thats when the weight gain started!

mytsmooth

Aug 21, 2013
Colorado USA
I am sure we can all agree that smoking analogs is probably not the best way to maintain or lose weight. I quit analogs about a little over month ago, and have gained about 15 lbs. It's because I'm being lazy and need to implement a some PT, the snacking someone mentioned is probably part of the problem too, but I hadn't noticed. Frankly, I hadn't noticed I was getting fat until I stepped on a scale yesterday. It's probably best I associated my weight gain with sheer laziness rather than smoking cigarettes. There are many dangerous options for weight loss that are a healthier alternative to smoking cigarettes.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
One of the things that made me balk from quitting smoking for so many years (43 yr. 2+ PAD habit) was the fear of gaining weight. I knew myself well enough to know that much, if not the majority, of my smoking was tied to my hand to mouth habit. I tend to be wound pretty tight and that hand/mouth busy-ness helps ground/comfort me. When I started vaping I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I did NOT gain weight, and in fact even dropped a few pounds! Then at around a year of vaping I discovered I really didn't like the way my vape tasted when I drank wine or other spirits. Same went for soft drinks. So I gave them up because I don't like things interfering with my vape. Plus vaping made it so my taste buds worked up to snuff and I could TASTE things..so I cut way way down on salt. The result is that overall ...in the 2 years I've been vaping...I've dropped around 20 pounds altogether! And I do NOT diet. In fact I eat pretty much whatever I please. I just don't feel the need to snack all the time. I vape instead!

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
I wish he would even try one dessert style vape he refuses to vape anything but tobacco and says if he wants a cupcake then he will just eat one. THATS OBVIOUS DADDY! LOL I love my daddy but sometimes wow.

Sounds a bit like my Dad, he was a stubborn guy too :laugh:

If you buy all his vaping supplies, why not mix a little dessert flavour in with the tobacco and gradually ween him onto it, that's what I'd do if my old man was still here :D

AndysPrincess

Aug 2, 2013
TX
Sounds a bit like my Dad, he was a stubborn guy too :laugh:

If you buy all his vaping supplies, why not mix a little dessert flavour in with the tobacco and gradually ween him onto it, that's what I'd do if my old man was still here :D

I hadnt thought of that I could get like an apple or peach tobacco (he used to put a slice of apple in his pipe tobacco to keep it moist) and just cut it with his regular slowly until one day he is on straight apple tobacco and then work from there hehehe hmmmmm.

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
I hadnt thought of that I could get like an apple or peach tobacco (he used to put a slice of apple in his pipe tobacco to keep it moist) and just cut it with his regular slowly until one day he is on straight apple tobacco and then work from there hehehe hmmmmm.

Just a few drops at first, then gradually work it up, he'll never know the difference :thumbs:

Vapo Marx

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
New York
RE: Your dad not wanting to try dessert flavors, I was the same way at first because (although I didn't even want to admit this to myself) I must have thought they'd be too "girly." But ya know what? I freakin' love them... Minty, chocolately, fruity, you name it. I still like my tobacco vapes, too. There's a whole world of flavors out there.

kottonmouth401

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2013
RI, USA
RE: Your dad not wanting to try dessert flavors, I was the same way at first because (although I didn't even want to admit this to myself) I must have thought they'd be too "girly." But ya know what? I freakin' love them... Minty, chocolately, fruity, you name it. I still like my tobacco vapes, too. There's a whole world of flavors out there.

Lol same here. For months i was too stubborn to try anything but tobacco flavors. I thought that vaping fruit or chocolate didn't seem very manly, but now i couldn't care less. There are so many awesome flavors out there!

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Maybe he should see a doctor.

It's not super common, but some people develop thyroid issues when they quit smoking. I did.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

12. Thyroid issues when quitting tobacco
There is discussion currently among the medical community about possible thyroid problems occurring after smoking cessation. It is not known how widespread this is or how serious. The appearance of thyroid problems soon after quitting is statistically higher than should occur, so there is a question whether smoking suppresses the symptoms of thyroid disease or whether quitting triggers it, or indeed if smoking causes or exacerbates it. This is uncommon so not a major issue for worry. Apparently weight gain or weight loss can be minor effects experienced by many, related to thyroid activity. This whole area is not fully understood so you should not read anything into our commentary, instead please ask your doctor.

In the month that I haven't smoked, I gained 10lbs. I was eating anything and everything in site. I've had to retrain myself to eat in moderation and only at certain times of the day along with working out some. BUT I've found that certain juice flavors keep me from stuffing my face. Anything fruity or desserty curbs the cravings. As someone else said, buttery flavors help too as they have that salty taste that most of us crave when we want to snack. I think the weight gain is mostly due to the fact of age and metabolism slowing down or to a complete halt and now that we don't have that cig to reach for we are replacing that urge with food. Mind over matter!!

SynD

Aug 30, 2013
Poenix, AZ, USA
I've had no weight change due to my switch to vaping..( but being sick for 6 months got me errrrrr..) I read in a message on the first page that when quitting someone started at a higher nic level so did I 24mg or higher is what I started at now I'm at18 mg. I wonder if the extra movement involved in finding a place to have a regular smoke maybe makes a small difference to some people?? For example if someone has to always go outside to smoke & now just vapes inside where ever ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread