VapeBash Chicago 2014 - From a GG User's Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomFellow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Plymouth, MI, USA
So, I may get flamed on this post, but I thought I would just share my thoughts and feelings from this past weekend in Chicago. For those that don't know, one of the US' biggest vape gatherings takes place each year in Chicago, Illinois and it is called VapeBash.

I was hoping to find lots of ejuice vendors (I already know what kind of hardware I want -> GG), but there really wasn't that many vendors there. The displays were kinda lame, except for a few notables. Hanna Mods had a nice display of their devices, and Mister-e-liquid went all out with video displays and a very professional looking area. Wyoming Vapor Company had some great and unique juices, and had set up a 6 pipe hookah that ran on four 26650 batteries. Apocalypse had a unique testing device that looked like a lunch box converted into a two testing devices, and they also had some great and unique juice. Overall though, the displays (and the company representatives) were pretty lame.

Most irritating was the hotel's policy of no vaping outside of the ballroom. We had sold out the hotel, so it was only vapers there, but we couldn't even vape in the bar or our own rooms! Saturday, my girlfriend and I took the L-Train to the Magnificent Mile for some shopping. Afterwards, we stopped off at McFadden's Restaurant & Saloon over in the bar district (Rush and Division). It's a bar that all of the Michigan State alumni hang out at, which is why we went (we're both alums). It was a beautiful day, the front walls were peeled back to open the place up to the outside, and we had a great table feeling the breeze. AND, they were vaper friendly!

Back at the ballroom at the hotel, it was just a cloudy mess. Everyone, and I mean everyone, had mangy beards, bad tattoos, and wore black t-shirts! I don't think any of them owned a shirt with a collar! There were two camps: people either had Egos with clearomizers, or Caravela/Nemesis mods (or knock-offs) and were dripping on sub-ohm coils. I didn't see one other GG there.

And, by the way, where was Fluid Vapor!?! I wanted to say hello to the GG family, but they weren't there. Maybe they were there on Friday - we got in so late, the vendors were shutting down when we arrived. Definitely didn't seem them Saturday evening.

All in all, I was severely disappointed. All of the attendees were fairly nice people. However, if a bomb went off in that ballroom, over 90% of the country's "Hipsters" would been destroyed. Ugh, I can't stand Hipsters!

I guess it comes down to this. When I go to a Porsche Owners Club meeting, I enjoy it because I'm around similar people with similar backgrounds, age, and discriminating taste. That is why I vape GG - because it's the best, it's exclusive, and a piece of art. Unfortunately, VapeBash was like a Japanese tuner convention, filled with irritating twenty-somethings with no class.

I intend to go to ECC this year in Ontario, California, so I hope my experience is much better. However, I think we need to start a different type of vaping convention that targets those of us who appreciate the finer things in life instead of cloud-blowing contests and Steam-punk costume contests.

Flame away!

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Rand, the people that were responsible for the vapefest, invited vapers to a hotel with no vaping policy????????

As for people that were vaping all these mods, is because of 2 reasons as I see it. Τhe one is that China copies other devices right now (GGTS copied a lot in the past and now it was time for a change for China and its customers, so the copies on vapefest were a lot), and the second reason is that people that vape very high quality devices or they belong to a group that its target is not the money but the quality of construction and the quality of its buyers, are not vapefest people in general, or they dont carry these devices with them for several reasons. Did you see for example supert people there?

What I mean is that you went there with good mood, expecting to see "your" people. But even when GG line was almost the only very high quality line around, there were no people on vapefests with a GG in their hands. Most of them were vaping cheaper or just cheap devices. I know this because my USA sellers always wondering where GG people were on vapefests.

RandomFellow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Plymouth, MI, USA
None of the people there were anyone I would normally hang out with. I swear, if I had asked anyone their opinion about Crimea, they probably would have thought I was talking about some comic book ... err, graphic novel.

This was my first VapeFest, and my last. I was hoping for something totally different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XDoctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
Casper, WY
Thanks man. By the rules of this site, I'm not allowed to say the name of my company on the forum, but I brought the hookah and I appreciate the compliment.

I wish I had seen you with a GG, I'd have pulled mine out. I had my old GGTS with the UFS in my bag. I've had several of the pieces gold plated, and everyone keeps asking me if it's a new version of the Natural. Would have been nice to be able to show it off to someone who understands. Unfortunately on Friday, it kept leaking and I didn't have time to fix it while working, so was relegated to a Provari and Nautalis for the day.

If you decide to give it another chance and end up at VaperCon West, be sure and introduce yourself. I'm also a Porsche Owner's Club member. I believe we'd have a lot to talk about. Just a heads up though, I have serious feeling about the superiority of air cooled 911's. :) I'll buy the drinks.

RandomFellow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Plymouth, MI, USA
Aw, man! Air cooled!?! That's so cool! I love my mid-engine Boxster S, but my bank account doesn't with the speeding tickets I'm paying for!
By the way, my girlfriend thought you guys were the best at the convention. She really appreciated how inviting and attentive you guys were. And, she really loves your cinnamon appleberry. After perusing your website, I should have tried your black jelly bean, as I am as much of an anise fan as she is of cinnamon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
A closed GG meeting will be what we are looking for aal. People can bring all mods they have there but they will be people that they know what they are talking about
RandomFellow, maybe you should organize a GG Chapter and make GG only conventions :D

AdamAnd

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2011
Ajax, Canada
That is a shame about VapeBash. I am sure ECC in Ontario will be great! I am hoping to make it there myself and hope to see some GG’s there as well. I guess it all comes down to the Vendors and Organizers getting it right. I think people of all walks of life that have given up smoking and took up Vaping is also a great thing. I disagree with the younger crowd Vaping just because it is “the thing to do now” The amount of clones well I think that comes down to Money and that most of the younger crowd not all of course but I would say the more visible ones are what most nonsmokers are being exposed to and they have no real investment in Vaping as a lifesaving alternative that I myself have. I was lucky to find the GG devices when surfing the internet 3 years ago and had several other Vaping pens , an ego that sort of thing which just didn’t do it for me. The cost of a GG can be justified by the Quality and the customer service and of course they work very well. I have been working since I was 15 and always wanted quality products it just made sense in the long run, you save money. But this was not always possible I am sure everyone wants the best they can buy and just cause they don’t have it does not mean they don’t want it. I love the GG products and hope to have many more but I do not want to be considered an elitist, I have tried to give away my GGTS to a coworker but he does not want to order the new(er) 510 adapter for it his loss I say. Oh well just my two cents. I know no one has ever seen all my Tattoo’s there for me, hmmm The Vaping Canuck

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
I was at VapeBash, and while I didn't see any other GG products, several people asked about my stuff ... the Ithaka with the new rebuildable section, the Penelope v3, and the Penelope v2 dripper. Folks were particularly impressed with the dripper! Still, if you were a GG fan, as I certainly am, it was a pretty lonely event. :(

I saw Bish there as well, building coils like the madman he is! He had plenty of fans at his table. :laugh:

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
same story for local b&m scene. my area is full of grand openings with cloud chasing contest and actresses from adult film as special guest.
while i fully respect the wide range of vapers out there, i wish there were rooms for "mature" audiences.
i hope i get to see a shop that mimics good old cigar room. :)

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
We all realize vaping exists in a real Hazy (no pun intended) area. The lesson to be learned is specifics concerning the practice of vaping are going to have to be communicated with potential future host locations and more than likely an understanding reached in writing. Most of all attending vapers must make certain to take disposable rubber gloves to place over smoke alarms. You didn't hear it from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread