QRP and the Brunhilde MTL

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
This lengthy post is really about Tootle Puffing with a Brunhilde MTL

As it won’t be of interest to all, I’ve started a new thread.

So what’s this QRP routine then?

My long term best pal since our schooldays, now sadly deceased, was into Amateur Radio and was a member of the QRP Group who specialsed in building and using very low power transmitter/receivers - 5 -10 watts max - and seeing how far their transmissions would get out.

So QRP to me = low power.

Why did I try it?

When I came into vaping, Egos coupled with CE4s and later Vivi Novas, both with silica wicks rated around 2.O Ohms, if I remember aright, were common and widely used.

Actually, I thought these tanks offered a vape I quite liked - but they gurgled and went off song pretty quickly, and of course being plastic their threads could melt away quite quickly, depending on the liquid used.

So basically nostalgia called, and I wondered what like it would be if I tried setting up a Brunhilde with a 2.00 Ohm, 28 gauge plain kanthal, closed coil and running it at 3.7 Volts ( just over 6.8 Watts, according to my iStick 30w - but iSticks, do their own thing - my various mods read this coil between 2 and 2.3 Ohms, and needed between 6.2 -7.2 Watts for the same quality of vape ) - for a month.

For consistency I used the same Brunhilde all month, with the third smallest air insert fitted, the same 2.00 Ohm coil, the same Vapefly cotton wick and fired it with my oldest silver iStick30W.

I used this set up every day from when I woke up in the morning until I went to bed at night.

So how did it go?

First off, the Brunhilde MTL, IMHO, proved its versatility, and showed me that it can make an excellent Tootle Puffing device.

In the month I experienced no whistle, no spitback, no gurgle, no flooding, no dry hits, no unused vape liquid through the drip tip, nor any other misbehavior.

I got plenty of flavour from my 16 strength clear menthol E Liquid. Indeed more than enough vapour for me, and a pleasantly cool vape.

The draw was consistent and akin to a Nautilus Mini. I’d describe the vape as “creamy.

Battery life was excellent - an iStick 30w lasted all day and a bit more if it started off fully charged.

After a month of daily use the coil and wick look like they’ve seen better days ( probably highlighting that it’s not the finest coil I have ever wound,) but I’ll dry burn the coil, pinch it, realign it, and fit a new wick anyway.

Will I convert my other two Brunhilde’s to run like this when their coils need changing?

Yes , wholeheartedly.

It’s a very long time since I used the same combination every day and I actually enjoyed the experience of getting to know it in depth.

In conclusion,I loved it - the Scottish verdict would be - “Gaun yersel! Yah Beauty, yah Dancer Ye!!”

First Picture - the rig as used

Second Picture - how the iStick30 read the coil and the power

Third Picture - it certainly produces plenty of vape, even when running QPR

Fourth Picture - the coil and wick after a month of use.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: no|ah

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
Connecticut, USA
This lengthy post is really about Tootle Puffing with a Brunhilde MTL

As it won’t be of interest to all, I’ve started a new thread.

So what’s this QRP routine then?

My long term best pal since our schooldays, now sadly deceased, was into Amateur Radio and was a member of the QRP Group who specialsed in building and using very low power transmitter/receivers - 5 -10 watts max - and seeing how far their transmissions would get out.

So QRP to me = low power.

Why did I try it?

When I came into vaping, Egos coupled with CE4s and later Vivi Novas, both with silica wicks rated around 2.O Ohms, if I remember aright, were common and widely used.

Actually, I thought these tanks offered a vape I quite liked - but they gurgled and went off song pretty quickly, and of course being plastic their threads could melt away quite quickly, depending on the liquid used.

So basically nostalgia called, and I wondered what like it would be if I tried setting up a Brunhilde with a 2.00 Ohm, 28 gauge plain kanthal, closed coil and running it at 3.7 Volts ( just over 6.8 Watts, according to my iStick 30w - but iSticks, do their own thing - my various mods read this coil between 2 and 2.3 Ohms, and needed between 6.2 -7.2 Watts for the same quality of vape ) - for a month.

For consistency I used the same Brunhilde all month, with the third smallest air insert fitted, the same 2.00 Ohm coil, the same Vapefly cotton wick and fired it with my oldest silver iStick30W.

I used this set up every day from when I woke up in the morning until I went to bed at night.

So how did it go?

First off, the Brunhilde MTL, IMHO, proved its versatility, and showed me that it can make an excellent Tootle Puffing device.

In the month I experienced no whistle, no spitback, no gurgle, no flooding, no dry hits, no unused vape liquid through the drip tip, nor any other misbehavior.

I got plenty of flavour from my 16 strength clear menthol E Liquid. Indeed more than enough vapour for me, and a pleasantly cool vape.

The draw was consistent and akin to a Nautilus Mini. I’d describe the vape as “creamy.

Battery life was excellent - an iStick 30w lasted all day and a bit more if it started off fully charged.

After a month of daily use the coil and wick look like they’ve seen better days ( probably highlighting that it’s not the finest coil I have ever wound,) but I’ll dry burn the coil, pinch it, realign it, and fit a new wick anyway.

Will I convert my other two Brunhilde’s to run like this when their coils need changing?

Yes , wholeheartedly.

It’s a very long time since I used the same combination every day and I actually enjoyed the experience of getting to know it in depth.

In conclusion,I loved it - the Scottish verdict would be - “Gaun yersel! Yah Beauty, yah Dancer Ye!!”

First Picture - the rig as used

Second Picture - how the iStick30 read the coil and the power

Third Picture - it certainly produces plenty of vape, even when running QPR

Fourth Picture - the coil and wick after a month of use.

View attachment 1009482 View attachment 1009483 View attachment 1009484 View attachment 1009485

Very interesting read. Glad you found a new setup you enjoy, with lots of vapor for only 7w!

They really do a nice job of everything from tootle puffing to RDL, and I love that you switch between them with only a twist of the cap.

A couple weeks ago I also experimented again with higher ohms, making a 1.6 ohm coil, up from from ~0.8 ohms, in my RDA (both 2.5mm contact coils from 30ga SS316L). Wattage being similar (~10-13w), I honestly I didn't notice much difference at all.

Your post makes me want to try it yet again at some point, ideally a side by side with the 2 of the same attys for a longer period of time and experimenting more with wattage.

Reactions: Falconeer

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
Your post makes me want to try it yet again at some point, ideally a side by side with the 2 of the same attys for a longer period of time and experimenting more with wattage.
This is my plan with 28ga (higher ohm/lower watt) Kanthal, Ni80 & Stainless. Three Brunhildes on 3 S×S Mods in rotation.

I also plan to test .08×0.1 Ni80 Ribbon wire in another S×S/Brunhilde.

Last edited:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
thanks for your interesting reply - it's given me the notion to try as near a side by side as possible - I'll knock out as near a 1.6 Ohm coil as I can get, fit a smaller insert into one of my other Brunhildes and run it against one of my beloved Nautilus Minis for a while.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread