A Month with a Brunhilde MTL

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Why a rebuildable in the first place?

In the UK moves are afoot to try to ban Disposable Vapes, as usual to “protect the Kiddiewinks,” protect the environment ( litter ) and to stop fires in bin lorries reportedly caused by incorrect disposal.

The extreme “Ban Everything Brigade” is beginning to call for a situation as in Australia where a prescription from a doctor is required to purchase vaping liquid containing nicotine.

China is going out of favour with, what is laughingly called the British Government, which could make getting coils, mods, atomisers etc difficult in the longer term.

So for me it was time to stock up with tanks, wire, cotton, tools and E Liquids ( and likely a couple of mech mods later “just in case”)

Why a Brunhilde MTL particularly?

The consensus of reviews was that they were well made, easy to wire and wick, rarely gave dry hits, came with plenty of spare parts and offered an enjoyable vaping experience.

Additionally to my eyes they looked really good.

On this last, some thought they were over tall, but I was used to Nautilus Minis and even when fitted with the longer supplied drip tip they are no taller ( though fatter) than a Nauti Mini.

The MTL version will fit on a smaller mod such as an iStick 30W, but looks unbalanced and can be knocked over readily as I can attest.

Setting Up The Brunhilde MTL …

On mine every part was very tightly fitted and it took real effort to get the cap off and also to replace the drip tip.

If you want a really open draw you can use the Brunhilde without fitting a screw in air insert, otherwise you have to select the insert you reckon will best suit you and you must do this before you fit the coil and wick.

Screwing in an insert can be fiddlesome - a magnetised screwdriver makes it easier ( and saves you crawling around on the floor looking for it if the small things ping out!)

My Brunhilde came with two spare coils ( initially reading 0.8 Ohms but going up to 0.92 Ohms over the month of daily use) and fitting one of these was simple as was wicking it with the supplied tagged cotton strips.

Two drip tips are supplied, the shorter wider one prefitted - if you wish to use the longer one you may find it easier to get the fitted one out before you put the top cap on - mine was exceedingly tight.

After priming the wick, the tank was filled using a plastic needle nosed bottle, through the small hole with three drops marked on it. The larger hole is the top airflow.

How did it vape?

Superbly for me - an old style, low power, higher strength nicotine, longer drip tip MTL vaper. I found 13.5 watts with the second largest insert, 0.8 ohm coil and the top air vent fully open offered a perfect vape - slightly looser than a Nauti Mini full open and about the same as a Zenith with maybe three holes open.

I used it as a daily driver for a month, and as an experiment, vaped it until it seemed to be empty and never got a dry hit.

I wanted to see how long a wick would last and using clear menthol juice I got the month out of it.

The Brunhilde never leaked, not even when left on its side.

The flavour of my Menthol Chill liquid remained consistently excellent.

I liked it so much, I bought a Kroma A Mod for a more balanced look and to make it less easy to knock over, then a second Brunhilde MTL and a Geekvape Aegis L200 mod as a backup - though when out, for lighter weight, I did still mount them on iSticks.

My 14 Nautilus Minis are cleaned and in long term storage - which says quite something!
. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
that was very good description of your situation in the Uk, and your experience with brunhilde.
thanks.
I have one, and agree with you and others about the great flavor.
But, i still have a hard time filling it without a mess. My smallest needle noses still don't quite fit into the filling hole. Not quite sure why they made the filling hole as small as it is., and I'd love to hear what I'm guessing has an engineering aspect to it.,

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
The only thing that initially threw me when setting up the Brunhilde for the first time was how to change over the drip tip - the non metallic bit screws off, I discovered quickly BUT you can’t just screw in the longer tip.

As I worked out a couple of hours after I’d finished coiling, wicking and filling the device I managed to pull the top section out, at the cost of one broken fingernail.

Once you have that done you can either plug any 510 drip tip in direct or use the longer supplied one with its extra cooling wings, as I did.

By the time I set up my second one I had discovered that the easiest way was simply to push the unwanted tip out with a small screwdriver from the inside of the cap.

This might save you problems if you are new to a Brunhilde MTL!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
that was very good description of your situation in the Uk, and your experience with brunhilde.
thanks.
I have one, and agree with you and others about the great flavor.
But, i still have a hard time filling it without a mess. My smallest needle noses still don't quite fit into the filling hole. Not quite sure why they made the filling hole as small as it is., and I'd love to hear what I'm guessing has an engineering aspect to it.,
I agree with you about the size of the fill hole - what I've ended up doing is taking the cap off which does make it slightly easier.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
How come's ppl are getting problems filling the Brunhilde? You just press your bottle against the hole and squeeze:w00t:
I can actually see why - using my normal supplier's needle tipped bottles I have no problems, but when I bought my last mod, the seller gave me three free bottles of liquid of my choice from their range - their bottles though needle nosed were thicker than my usual ones and did not work with my Brunhilde.

I, in the end decanted them into an empty one of my usual brand and all went well.

All needle nosed plastic bottles aren't exactly the same.

Replying to a previous post - so far I have never had to tilt my Brunhilde to keep the wick moist, but I do not use an overthick wick.

Darrgoe

Nov 20, 2016
Calgary Alberta Canada
This thread inspired me to get the most out of my Brunhilde Mtl tanks. I smoked for 40 plus years so any tank that can mimic the draw of a cigarette is what I need. One major drawback that I have is PG can inflame my respiratory system, so I stick to max VG juices. With the Brunhilde I went with the 1.4 mm airflow control screw, but it whistles and gurgles. So I went to the 1.8 mm and tighten down the outside airflow to a sliver. Now I have the best cigalike draw for me. Using max VG juices, I keep my cotton a little on the thin side using a 26 gauge coil with 8 wraps and a 2.5 mm inside diameter giving me roughly a 1.0 ohm coil. I like the smaller drip tip so condensation is a problem especially when chain vaping at 14 to 15 watts. A quick wipe of the dome and good to go.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I agree, I'd say most excellent.. When I first got mine I had some little (just more messy than FUBARed) filling issue. I posted here about it and got several helpful replies. A combination of those and simply using a larger tip (so it didn't actually go in the filler hole, but as any walrus would say tight seals are good..) on my filler bottle.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    Anyone knows of a good and simple single battery mod that would match the Brunhilde? I got the Stainless steel version.

The Brunhilde SBS mod is an excellent match for the RTA.

-1.jpg

Sourcemore has them in-stock for $46.83. That price shows once you are signed into SM. Colors are limited.

SM also has the kit for $62.07, although it's currently a pre-order. If you want the stainless steel version, that's the route to go.

They are very nice SBS mods. Built tough as a WWII battleship. They will take a 18650, 20700 or 21700 battery.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Did you convert the dual coil version to mtl too?
    My Big Bad Brunhilde is still dual coil. You can't make the original dual coil Brunhilde into a single coil without significantly losing flavour.
    You need to completely block off one whole side of the airflow which comes from out of the post in the deck and there's about 12 tiny holes to block off.
    If you want a single coil Brunhilde that can handle a bit of wattage then you want the Brunhilde 103. That's a dual coil and a single coil in one, it has the same flavour as the other Brunhilde's too. Great!!

Users who are viewing this thread