A Month with a Brunhilde MTL

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    You are the real expert here on Brunhildes and I know you have a lot of experience with them, so why have you settled on flat wire?

Is it better for flavour, do coils last longer, or do you find it easier to handle?

You've got me interested in trying this, hence the questions.
    For me it strictly comes down to better flavour from the flat wire. It has a lot of surface area so is able to get plenty of juice flowing similar to clapton wire. So you get lots of flavour coming your way!! And the thin Ni80 starts crankin' that vapour as soon as you hit the fire button!

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Nicely done. The more you share here, the more in perspective overall size is becoming. Your sharing the size ribbon wire you're using, dials it in more. Which is good and bad in my reality.

The brass I was using is approx 3.2mm wide. My mention of it being "fiddly" stemmed from my lack of fine motor skills. Reality101 has set in.

Considering the width (0.8) of ribbon you use and how dainty that is in comparison to what I was playing with, I've a very strong feeling that I'm setting myself up to fail miserably, due to that smaller scale. Which brings up the question, are you using a "jig" to make your coils?
    I use a little coil jig that comes out of a Coil Master kit to wind all of my coils! All 2.5mm I.D unless I decide to get a little funky!

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    I use a little coil jig that comes out of a Coil Master kit to wind all of my coils! All 2.5mm I.D unless I decide to get a little funky!
    Can you post an image of that, please? Your being a user of the product will know the best angle for representation.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    For round wire I use both of these types if "jigs" (may not be suitable for flat wire coils if coil is long)

HD8eiDw.png

That's just a stepped mandrel. But you can use anything cylindrical for a mandrel that is as wide as you want/need it to be. Like the smooth part of a drill bit. The link isn't a purchase suggestion, I have no idea if that seller is reliable. But there are many others on AliX selling this.

Then there's the coil winding jig (not suitable for flat wire)

f5ALVKP.png

This one's a bit on the expensive side but I couldn't find a decent, reasonably priced one in a pinch. The "Pirate" one on AliX appears to me to be a not-so-great design (after a quick look).
    I use a Coil Winding Jig(second one there!) to wind all of my coils with, all flat wire! They've always been my preference.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I use a Coil Winding Jig(second one there!) to wind all of my coils with, all flat wire! They've always been my preference.

Interesting. When I dabbled with flat wire I couldn't get to work in a coil winder. I guess it was just my winder. I see the Wireoptim one I pictured and some others I've seen have slightly different design than the ones I bought years ago.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Can you post an image of that, please? Your being a user of the product will know the best angle for representation.
    The one I use is exactly the same as the one in video posted previously except I only use the half of it to lock my wire in and I wind the wire around the jig by hand. I can grab you a couple of pics shortly but I'm stuck on the phone atm on hold, the highlight of my day :lol:

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    The one I use is exactly the same as the one in video posted previously except I only use the half of it to lock my wire in and I wind the wire around the jig by hand. I can grab you a couple of pics shortly but I'm stuck on the phone atm on hold, the highlight of my day :lol:
    Gotcha. No need for more images then!!

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    I have a few pics for you Mate :thumb: the coil winding jig that I use comes in 4 pieces but I only use 3 of those myself to wind coils as I use my hand instead of the little winder thingy(that's the technical term!!) image.jpg once the jig is placed in the main shaft and cap put on just place your wire through the slit at the top and firmly grip one end and wrap the rest around the jig image.jpg keep on wrapping until you have a nice little coil. image.jpg
    I hope this all makes sense and helps!

Kalyptic

• Jul 22, 2023
    I have a few pics for you Mate :thumb: the coil winding jig that I use comes in 4 pieces but I only use 3 of those myself to wind coils as I use my hand instead of the little winder thingy(that's the technical term!!) View attachment 1007862 once the jig is placed in the main shaft and cap put on just place your wire through the slit at the top and firmly grip one end and wrap the rest around the jig View attachment 1007863 keep on wrapping until you have a nice little coil. View attachment 1007864
    I hope this all makes sense and helps!
    Awesome Daniel, I use that same one, it came in a kit with a nice over the shoulder carry bag.
    I don't use the other half when making larger coils too, I just use a pair of pliers to grab the end and wrap it manually. IMG_20240208_195113.jpg

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
    Connecticut, USA
    Great info in this thread.

Been using the Brunhilde for 2-3 weeks now at ~0.7-0.8 ohms ~15w, and finally settled on the second largest airflow insert (though to me the third largest was nice too with thinner wicking).

Sadly the drip tip was caught and was broken ragged - in the UK it isn't the easiest thing to source a replacement but if I wanted to go down the Daniel Forsyth matching route I'd simply get a Zlide drip tip in a colur to match the mod and sand off the end - but to be honest I'm fine with what I'm using just now.
    Apparently the tip's quite fragile. I managed to break mine as well. All it took was a ~2ft drop onto a wooden floor.

On the question of flavour, as an experiment, I made up a couple of 1.5 ohm coils for my Brunhildes and fitted them yesterday.

Running them at 10 watts has produced a remarkable increase in flavour as opposed to the previous 0.8 ohm coils running at 14 watts.

When next I have the coils out I'm going to fit a narrower insert as per the one pre-fitted in my Alberich.

While the said Allberich will never be a favouite of mine because of its imho awkward deck to build on and fussy wicking needs I have to say flavour wise it beat the Brunhildes initially.
    That's really interesting. I went up to just over 1 ohm and it seemed to barely put out any vapor or flavor, but then again it was one of the first builds I did so probably not so good. I'll have to give it another shot one of these days.

For me it strictly comes down to better flavour from the flat wire. It has a lot of surface area so is able to get plenty of juice flowing similar to clapton wire. So you get lots of flavour coming your way!! And the thin Ni80 starts crankin' that vapour as soon as you hit the fire button!
    Always wondered about that. Makes sense (that the extra surface area boosts flavor). Looking forward to trying it eventually.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Awesome Daniel, I use that same one, it came in a kit with a nice over the shoulder carry bag.
    I don't use the other half when making larger coils too, I just use a pair of pliers to grab the end and wrap it manually. View attachment 1007865
    Very nice!

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    Update 9/2/24

I had given up hope on this one, but the Postman dropped it through our door this morning - as well as the Brunhilde there's a few spare mouthpieces in the order - but not the bonnie but fragile ones, even though they are branded Vapefly.

The order though it was supposed to come from Holland from Sourcemore originated from Hong Kong, hence the delay - "Plastic Parts" like "Candle Making Supplies" in the pipe tobacco days do seem to get through!

I'll coil and wick it tomorrow.

Brunhilde3.jpg

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    One thing that I found that made my Brunhilde's taste better, was to use the Vandy Vape B3 drip tip. the larger narrower one. It fits the shape perfectly and looks great.

I wholeheartedly agree that a longer narrow bore tip greatly improves the flavour on most tanks.

The two outside ones in the picture have ones I got off of the internet after the original Brunhilde tips got broken and the one in the middle is from a Nautilus 3 (AKA "The Failure Box" ) no longer with me.

I tried using the Zlide tips which worked well as they have a "Childproof" under section which makes them longer than they look but sadly they lay too close to the coil and melted slightly.

10.jpg

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    I wholeheartedly agree that a longer narrow bore tip greatly improves the flavour on most tanks.

The two outside ones in the picture have ones I got off of the internet after the original Brunhilde tips got broken and the one in the middle is from a Nautilus 3 (AKA "The Failure Box" ) no longer with me.

I tried using the Zlide tips which worked well as they have a "Childproof" under section which makes them longer than they look but sadly they lay too close to the coil and melted slightly.
    The tanks on the eleaf isticks (I have 3 of them) sure look out of place. I imagine they fall over a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread