Status
Not open for further replies.

Derasha

Jan 10, 2013
New Jersey
Ok so I have a few thoughts on PDOV (public displays of vaping) and I would love to know your thoughts and ideas.
I know that electronic ciggerettes, PV's, vaping is all over the web as "smoke anywhere". But do you? Do you sit in a restaurant and vape with your coffee after a good meal? If so, do you enjoy it or are you just sitting there trying to avoid the dirty looks you are probably reciving?
I for one, vape openly and proudly in my car, in my home and outside. Pretty much where I would smoke anologs. However, even though I do this I feel I am sending the wrong message.
I resently saw someone sitting outside a store in the cold vaping an electronic ciggerette. What kind of message do you think that sends to the people who are the "anti-ciggerette, anti-smoking, anti-personal choice people". You know who I'm talking about, the people who do the "fake cough" when they pass a smoker. (Gotta love people who judge). But for now we will call them the Anti people. What message do you think we are sending
the Anti people? We are basically teaching them that vaping is as bad for others as smoking. If we continue to "hide" our PV's and e-ciggerettes we are showing them that, we fit in the smokers category. I don't want to sit with smokers anymore cause believe it or not even after 20 years of hard core smoking, now that I quit. I dont want to be atound the smell anymore. I don't want to be limited like I was as a smoker. I want freedom, freedom to vape anywhere I choose. Freedom to vape after a nice meal and not have to stand outside. Freedom from ciggerette smells and ciggerette sections. Freedom from judgement.
So us as a community "secret society" if you will, need to be proud and vape in public( me included). We need to educate the Anti people and explain that there is no second hand smoke, there is no carcinagens, and we don't want to have to sit in smoking only areas. We are not smokers we are former smokers who just want the freedom of vaping with no judgement.

So vape your little hearts out!
Next time you go to a restaurant, ask if it's ok to vape. If they ask what vaping is, kindly explain.
Next time you go to the mall, sit down and vape.. Expect someone to say something, but it's ok... Educate them.
Keep in mind most "Anti people" don't have much of an open mind, so try your best to be patient and kind.
Let's give out little "secret society" a good name!
Lets make vaping completely main stream!
Lets make vaping as common as sipping on a cup of coffee.

I love that we, as a vaping army won the battle against analogs!

Let me know your thoughts and opinions on this!

Offday

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2013
Inland Empire
Personally ....I.have vaped walking through Home Depot, I vape in the centralized control room at work, and I tested the waters and vaped ALL OVER Disneyland. No one has approached me. Except at work, standing outside in a "non smoking" area. On of the HR people came out and said "you know this is a non smoking area" to which I replied. "I'm not smoking" ....showed them my rig and they said, "oh...that's one of those electric cigarettes, ok your fine"
I still adhere to the "non smoking" etiquette if I'm in a restaurant. Simply brcause I wouldn't want someone next to me blowing clouds of a really sweet smelling or tobacco smelling juice while I'm trying to enjoy my steak.
I was actually encouraged to vape "inside" by my foremen at work. I've vaped in front of my boss as well. Nobody has said a word. And in a large open area like home depot, or outside anywhere. I have had zero issues. Amazingly enough right here in California. ......but I doubt it's gonna stay that way for long.

What I would really like to see are restaurants and the like start posting signs that say "e cig friendly" or something in their windows.
What we all could do as vapors, is start a thread and get a link started where we can post "vapor friendly" establishments we find. A place where folks can look up said establishments in there area.
A really good idea that I have no idea how to start or make work.

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I always ask when I enter a restaurant for the first time if they permit vaping. If they don't, most likely I thank them and leave. There are too many places who do permit it for me to do otherwise. I vape in my office at work because the owner of the company has sanctioned it. I do not vape in other peoples offices, or the break room, etc. There are three converted vapers in my office, so I vape in their offices too.

I generally do not vape in stores or the like. I am not in there long enough for it to be an issue most of the time. I always respect the owner of a business or building to decide what they allow in their business. I just don't support many who don't if it prevents me from enjoying the experience. I vape in my car and when I am outdoors.

I rarely hear any nonsense from strangers about vaping.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I vape openly at home, in my car, while walking the dog etc... I can also vape at work so no more standing outside in the 'smoking section'. I don't feel the need to vape at places like the grocery store or Walmart. I do however vape at restaurants & other establishments as long as management says its ok. NC...being a big tobacco state does not allow smoking in restaurants. Not even at the bar. I find that odd being that so many of the cigarettes we used to smoke are made right here. So basically I vape anywhere that allows it. I don't assume I can vape somewhere so I always ask if I'm unsure.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Ok so I have a few thoughts on PDOV (public displays of vaping) and I would love to know your thoughts and ideas.
I know that electronic ciggerettes, PV's, vaping is all over the web as "smoke anywhere". But do you? Do you sit in a restaurant and vape with your coffee after a good meal? If so, do you enjoy it or are you just sitting there trying to avoid the dirty looks you are probably reciving?
I for one, vape openly and proudly in my car, in my home and outside. Pretty much where I would smoke anologs. However, even though I do this I feel I am sending the wrong message.
I resently saw someone sitting outside a store in the cold vaping an electronic ciggerette. What kind of message do you think that sends to the people who are the "anti-ciggerette, anti-smoking, anti-personal choice people". You know who I'm talking about, the people who do the "fake cough" when they pass a smoker. (Gotta love people who judge). But for now we will call them the Anti people. What message do you think we are sending
the Anti people? We are basically teaching them that vaping is as bad for others as smoking. If we continue to "hide" our PV's and e-ciggerettes we are showing them that, we fit in the smokers category. I don't want to sit with smokers anymore cause believe it or not even after 20 years of hard core smoking, now that I quit. I dont want to be atound the smell anymore. I don't want to be limited like I was as a smoker. I want freedom, freedom to vape anywhere I choose. Freedom to vape after a nice meal and not have to stand outside. Freedom from ciggerette smells and ciggerette sections. Freedom from judgement.
So us as a community "secret society" if you will, need to be proud and vape in public( me included). We need to educate the Anti people and explain that there is no second hand smoke, there is no carcinagens, and we don't want to have to sit in smoking only areas. We are not smokers we are former smokers who just want the freedom of vaping with no judgement.

So vape your little hearts out!
Next time you go to a restaurant, ask if it's ok to vape. If they ask what vaping is, kindly explain.
Next time you go to the mall, sit down and vape.. Expect someone to say something, but it's ok... Educate them.
Keep in mind most "Anti people" don't have much of an open mind, so try your best to be patient and kind.
Let's give out little "secret society" a good name!
Lets make vaping completely main stream!
Lets make vaping as common as sipping on a cup of coffee.

I love that we, as a vaping army won the battle against analogs!

Let me know your thoughts and opinions on this!

I agree with your comments especially the part about sending the absolute wrong perception if we act like vaping is the same as smoking. I believe in vaping openly just about everywhere but respectfully.

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
I call B.S. on that "smoke anywhere" idea that some retailers use to push their product. It's misleading and potentially harmful to the reputation of the vaping community.

You can't fault someone for approaching you and asking questions if they catch you stealth-vaping in a smoke-free environment.

When this happens to me, I act as if I'm an ambassador to the vaping community. Be respectful and share some knowledge. There's still a ton of people out there who have no idea what these things are and what they're about.

PRIMER

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
DENVER 303
You CAN vape anywhere - I'm vaping on the city bus daily. Even if someones sitting RIGHT next to me, I just go stealth and nobody can even detect it. Avoiding detection is so easy I can't even believe it.

Related - While I was chain vaping away at the bus stop a ten year old kid says "Look Mom, It's an electronic cigarette! They're better than cigarettes because they still give you nicotine but don't hurt your lungs." Mom, smoking a cigarette, totally ignored the kid.

Some people DON'T want to believe.

indianajames

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Mission, KS
Unfortunately, Derasha, vaping has already been banned indoors in New Jersey. It was banned before I started vaping in 2011.
This is also the case in Marion County, Indiana. So far I've been able to vape all over Terre Haute, but I have to play by the same rules as smokers in most of Indianapolis.

For the most part I vape where I want, but there are exceptions. In public I don't use anything that will make epic clouds of vapour like I would at home, and seriously, what sort of tool vapes at the gym?

PondScum

Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Omaha,Nebraska USA
I have been told I could not vape in a Taco Bell once. I don't go to that one anymore. I do hit the place a few times a week. I will vape anywhere most recently in the county court house where I live with no issues. I used to do stand up, and the ban on smoking really made what I did hard, it was a prop, as well as helped me with nervousness and ultimately I quit doing stand up. It changed how I did my act. I have been told in some public places you can't smoke in here. I then will say something like "Good that's such a nasty habit." and keep on vaping. I feel it's rude of anyone to say anything to me being that I follow the law of my city and state. Once vaping in a restaurant I was told by a customer,( loud enough for people to all look at me)" You can't do that in here" I replied "It's only water vapor, do you not like water.(loud enough for people to hear) You don't take a bath, dear god that's what that stink is !" Most of the place smiled or laughed.
Now I realize thats prob not the best way to handle things and not the best light on us as a group. Im not hurting anyone and I should be able to live my life as I see fit as a person who vape's, they get to live like they want with their busy body ways. Just my thought on the subject.

TigerLadyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Garland, TX
Unfortunately, Derasha, vaping has already been banned indoors in New Jersey. It was banned before I started vaping in 2011.

Really? Banned indoors in New Jersey? I had no idea. This past January, hubby and I were in NJ as his Daddy passed away, so we went up for the funeral, the reading of the will, etc. While there, I vaped openly in the Newark airport, both upon arrival and departure. I openly vaped in several eateries inDover and Hackettstown. I vaped openly at the Dover train station as well as on the train on the way to And then back again to Dover. And yes, I vaped openly in Union and Penn stations too.. I vaped openly in our hotel in Bud Lake. I vaped openly in the Bud Lake Walmart... And no one, ever, said anything negative to me with regard to my vaping.

~Tiger

Derasha

Jan 10, 2013
New Jersey
Really? Banned indoors in New Jersey? I had no idea. This past January, hubby and I were in NJ as his Daddy passed away, so we went up for the funeral, the reading of the will, etc. While there, I vaped openly in the Newark airport, both upon arrival and departure. I openly vaped in several eateries inDover and Hackettstown. I vaped openly at the Dover train station as well as on the train on the way to And then back again to Dover. And yes, I vaped openly in Union and Penn stations too.. I vaped openly in our hotel in Bud Lake. I vaped openly in the Bud Lake Walmart... And no one, ever, said anything negative to me with regard to my vaping.

~Tiger
That's what I'm saying... I don't think it's banned in Jersey

Dave L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Modesto, CA, USA
I vape pretty openly. I've even sneaked a puff in the grocery store - but generally I try to be respectful. I do carry a 510 around with me for those times when the eGo is really obvious. I started doing that after a couple with kids gave me a really HARD look in the park where I was reading a book and vaping. At first I didn't understand what their problem was, but then it occurred to me that they probably thought I was using some kind of paraphernalia. Unfortunately no chance to explain as they hustled their kids in the opposite direction. In general I am open about it and have had no problems.

sivo

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Montreal
places I have vaped so far:

walmart
movie theater
the gym (at the counter during a shake, not while training)
grocery stores
malls
car
house
friends houses
dog park

plus many more.

funny looks, but no confrontations (that may be due to the fact that i am 6'5, 250, and full of tattoos, meh)

also, the way i see it, is i am not blowing around smoke that is harmful, full of chemicals, bad smell, and so on, so no one can say anything really. but 2 places i have not openly vaped are restaurants and hospitals, i do both in the bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread