• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

My Short Romance With The Darwin (So Far...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
So I am cooled off but still way too disappointed to even deal with this right now. I think I will e-mail Brandon again and ask what can be done.

I have spent roughly $35 on the customs fees and pretty much $13 to ship it each time... So after I send this d@mn thing again I will have spent $75+ on trying to get this thing repaired...

I am not happy... and at this point... I would never suggest a Darwin (or any other Evolv product) to anyone. This "relationship" has been nothing but one huge migraine and I just want it to be over already.

I am pretty sure this is the straw that broke the camels back... I doubt I will be vaping much longer anyway.

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
Okay, so here is my letter to Evolv;

"Hello once again Brandon,

I really hate to contact you repeatedly about my Darwin, but once again it has had the exact same issue as before.

I was thrilled to have my Darwin back, as I have been missing it since it originally broke down weeks after I bought it from my friend second-hand.

However, this time when I went to pick up my Darwin I had a fee of $36 CAD to pay because customs read your order slip as a new product and they charged me. I am not impressed at all.

After I opened the package, the device seemed to work flawlessly for a couple hours (2 hours this time) and then the screen began to flicker on and off and it ceased to fire as quickly as it started. Once again, my Darwin won't turn on and won't fire.

This is the second time this has happened after I sent this for repair to you and to be honest, I just want my working Darwin back.

Please tell me something can be done about this Darwin. I really just need to finally fix this thing and find some resolution.

Sincerely,

Blaine Gilder
"

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
Okay, so bear with me here as I am not a very happy customer but I promise there will be no BS.

So I went to pick up my Darwin today, I was thrilled that I was getting my Darwin and confused about why exactly I was being forced to pay customs fees. Apparently when Evolv wrote the description of my item for customs... They indicated it was a new purchase vs. a repair so I had to pay and now have to debate this charge with customs... So reason #1 I am pi$$3d...

I get my Device out of the box and notice the shiny new screen and thought "Oh awesome! They really did take out all the insides and give me a like new device!" and I was thrilled. I tried plugging on my 510-eGo adaptor w/ eGo cone but it wouldn't fire.

So out of desperation, I brought the device home and started carefully dripping on it with a cisco LR 510 when suddenly (about 2 hours in to using it now) the screen flashed repeatedly after I hit the switch and as quickly as it started... I now have a dead Darwin again.

I am so ...... off I don't even know what to do. I haven't just been burned twice today but this is the second time in a row I have returned my Darwin to Evolv and this thing isn't even a year old.

So much for loving my Darwin.

You sir, should never go outside in a thunder storm.

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
So it has been quite a while and I have to admit my anger for this situation hasn't been remedied nor have I sent the device out for repair for the third time yet... I am actually even more frustrated after receiving a reply from "Brandon" at Evolv and you are soon to see why;

"Hi Blaine,
Sorry about the issue, it sounds as though the short circuit protection is kicking in (hence the flickering) but unfortunately if fired into a short too many times it will destroy the Darwin or put it into a protection state (won't power up). If your willing to send it in we'll replace the electronics but if a shorted adapter or atty is causing the issue, you can expect the same results again. I have a guy in Ontario that can do the repair, this way you won't have to send it through customs and deal with their inability to read labels. It should also make the turn around time much shorter. Please send your Darwin to:

((Removed))

Thanks,
Brandon
Evolv, LLC"

My problem is his little theory is placing the blame for this device failing squarely in my hands. He is essentially claiming my adapter or atty that I have been using on my device is to blame and not the Darwin or any of the components of the Darwin.

You see Mr. Brandon (since I don't know your last name) what doesn't add up with your theory is that each time the device has failed, it has had three completely different set ups on it.

The first time the device failed I was using a Cisco LR 510 atomizer without any extra attachments. About a couple days into using it after I bought it from my friend, the screen began to flash mid vape and it fired intermittently as well at the same time. Seconds after this started, the device shut off and refused to turn back on.

The second time I decided to be extra careful and use a 510-eGo adapter, an eGo cone and a Joyetech SR 510 atty. About 6 hours after I started using it the screen began to flash mid vape and it fired intermittently as well at the same time. Seconds after this started, the device shut off and refused to turn back on.

The third time I tried to use the same eGo adapter set up, however the slight difference in design of the control arm prevented me from using it. Instead, I used a new cisco LR 510 atomizer on it and didn't experience a single leak for the mere 2 hours that it functioned that time... The screen began to flash mid vape and it fired intermittently as well at the same time. Seconds after this started, the device shut off and refused to turn back on....

Now not only have they cost me even more money to send it yet again, he is telling me my broken mod is somehow my fault... And then finally reveals he has a local repair guy right in the same province as me? WTF?!

I feel robbed and treated like a fool. Good job Evolv, you are officially worse than Walmart.

I am probably going to buy a Power Baby and a 2 year supply of 1.7 ohm single coil DCT cartos and a stainless DCT tank and give up on this thing at this point. This experience has sworn me off of spending any more than $100 on a device because there is NO excuse for this.

I believe it may very well be a short, but rather in either the switch or the control arm, and my educated guess is the switch since it is the only component that hasn't been replaced. But hey, what do I know, I am just some Darwin-breaking buttfor that is annoying Evolv with my problems.

Way to pass the buck Brandon.

Last edited:

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
There, my post is all fixed, lol, what a mess to clean up that was. I am going to post a version of this in the appropriate place one Facebook, but I think my Canadian friends and acquaintances need to see this because it is exactly what we all try to avoid when we buy a device.

Shoulda bought a Provari *slaps head and falls over*

Last edited:

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
Did you keep the packing/customs declaration ? I like how they also blamed customs instead of taking any responsibility. :facepalm:

Really, I looked at the form myself and they DID put it down as NEW and NOT a repair. I just got mad enough to throw everything out and face the fact that the hassle wasn't worth my effort (since time is money)

Toronto_Mike

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Hey Blaine - sorry to hear about your roller coaster ride with the Darwin. Many, many others have experienced issues with Darwin, recently. They seem to be a great device when they work but spend a lot time in transit & on the shop table. You can recoup your $35 charge.

Products shipped into Canada due to repair / replacement / warranty / etc. will not be charged duties or taxes because they are not a new item. However you can still be charged brokerage on these $0 fees. (Beware UPS Ground as usual.)
If the taxes and duties added on were genuinely incorrect, you can appeal the fees. If you shipped through USPS / Canada Post, the form is on the back of the CBSA papers attached to your shipment. Otherwise, follow the dispute procedure, which should lead you to Form B2G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread