• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

My Short Romance With The Darwin (So Far...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
Hey folks,

It's been a while so I figured I would poke around, say I am alive and review a device I have been advocating for since I tried it oh so long ago.

The Darwin is a well known, well reviewed device so I won't waste every ones time with a full on review. However I will bring up what I love and hate about the device and explain how it has left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

I received my Darwin from a friend with the agreement that I would pay $125 for it whenever I could manage. Considering that price is about a third of the retail cost I was thrilled to get such an incredible deal. It was love at first vape. Everything on this device, even old atties and cartos that the Lavatube just couldn't work with (mostly dual coils) vaped flawlessly every single time.

I loved the form factor, it fits discreetly in my pocket and will not fire when you don't want it to. Interestingly, I found myself falling into my old habits of dripping again, odd how old habits truly do die hard. I was so happy with my Darwin that I parted with my Lavatube that was simply not cutting it any-more and put aside the money to pay my friend for selling me such an awesome device.

I babied this thing, I never dropped it once, made sure there was little to no leakage, kept it charged as much as possible... But that didn't stop cruel fate and about 2 weeks ago my Darwin ceased to function completely.

It was actually rather sudden, the blue back-light on the device simply started flashing intermittently, and it would stop firing as the screen flickered. I checked the device for any leakage, nothing. I hit the switch again and there was only a quick flash... Then nothing ever again.

So, needless to say, my go-to device is currently in the hands of Brandon at Evolv to be repaired or in Transit to be repaired. Does this effect my thoughts on the Darwin? Yes and no.

The Darwin I have must have had a faulty logic board or battery, nothing more. The Darwin is way better than any other device I have ever used and I wouldn't even settle for a Kick, because I enjoy vaping at 11+ watts. Other than that, I am stuck vaping eGo batteries until it returns, which is actually like taking a hundred steps back.

My friend found out and told me not to worry about paying him for the device, so score all around, but until I get that device back I am slowly going crazy.

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
We get so spoiled, don't we? I remember when I first got my eGos, how excited and amazed I was. Now using an eGo seems like taking a step into the stone ages. Have we become too snobby? I don't know. It is strange though.

SNOBS!!! lol jk :lol:

Noizmaker: absence makes the heart grow fonder. Your Darwin will be back soon :)

shades

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
Perth, Ontario
I guess I haven't been vaping long enough to become a snob or had hardware good enough to make me a snob.

All I know is that I am happy with what my Lavatube does with the right accessories , and when I swapped with the wife for her twist for the day (until she took it back) I was also quite content with that as much as my lavatube.

Sounds like I need to stay in my happy place and not try newer and better things so I can stay content and be content with the other options in the house if my daily hardware decides to go funky on me :)

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
I guess I haven't been vaping long enough to become a snob or had hardware good enough to make me a snob.

All I know is that I am happy with what my Lavatube does with the right accessories , and when I swapped with the wife for her twist for the day (until she took it back) I was also quite content with that as much as my lavatube.

Sounds like I need to stay in my happy place and not try newer and better things so I can stay content and be content with the other options in the house if my daily hardware decides to go funky on me :)

Hey, don't get me wrong at all. The Lavatube is a good investment (as long as you aren't accident prone) even if you have the 1.5 amp limited first gen like I used to own. I LOVED that Lavatube to death and still wish I had never parted ways with it. A 1.7 ohm single coil DCT carto and a good tank of juice at 4.2 volts? I could go for that right now, lol.

If I had to choose between the Lavatube or the Darwin though, the Darwin wins hands down. It's a sweet, techie, dork-esque device that suits my needs perfectly. Plus I enjoy people asking me why I am "Smoking a Cell Phone".

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON
Hey Noizmaker,

Seeing as you had a lot of the hardware I currently own, and seem to sound like you were a drip-a-holic ;) I have never asked this but what is the cult following of the Cisco atty's all about?

What makes them so shiny?

Well that takes a little explaining but I think I can explain it. Back when cartos still lagged behind and atomizers seemed to be the way of the future, a user here at ECF (Cisco :p) decided to start making superior atomizers with a high quality NiChrome coil vs run of the mill atomizers that had very inconsistent and frail coils. Really that is the only secret to any good atomizer.

Cisco atties were the rock-star of the atomizer world for a long time due to the quality design and longevity they touted but were actually not as good or as durable as Ikenvape atomizers. IKV atties are all around better atomizers IMO these days as Ciscos contract with his manufacturer is over and higher quality coils are now pretty common on the market.

I'd say if you want to know the difference give a Cisco 306 a test and then try an IKV 306 afterwards and choose for yourself. I actually have an old review I wrote up back when Switched and I traded so we could see which was better that I will post here once I locate it, if possible, it was quite a while back. EDIT: Apparently that review is way too old to still be on the servers here. sorry shades :(

Last edited:

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
Well that takes a little explaining but I think I can explain it. Back when cartos still lagged behind and atomizers seemed to be the way of the future, a user here at ECF (Cisco :p) decided to start making superior atomizers with a high quality NiChrome coil vs run of the mill atomizers that had very inconsistent and frail coils. Really that is the only secret to any good atomizer.

Cisco atties were the rock-star of the atomizer world for a long time due to the quality design and longevity they touted but were actually not as good or as durable as Ikenvape atomizers. IKV atties are all around better atomizers IMO these days as Ciscos contract with his manufacturer is over and higher quality coils are now pretty common on the market.

I'd say if you want to know the difference give a Cisco 306 a test and then try an IKV 306 afterwards and choose for yourself. I actually have an old review I wrote up back when Switched and I traded so we could see which was better that I will post here once I locate it, if possible, it was quite a while back. EDIT: Apparently that review is way too old to still be on the servers here. sorry shades :(

I have tried the Cisco 510 and the IKV Canon attys and I found the Cisco to be way better. I don't know if this means anything since they aren't really similar in any way besides the fact that they're attys. I just know the Cisco has way better flavour, is way longer lasting, and I got a lot of dry hits after the first day of use with the IKVs. I really noticed the difference between a normal 510 and a Cisco 510, so I would venture to say that these "high quality coils" are not as common as we might think. I honestly can't believe how good the Cisco spec atty was in comparison to any other atty I've tried.

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
I have tried the Cisco 510 and the IKV Canon attys and I found the Cisco to be way better. I don't know if this means anything since they aren't really similar in any way besides the fact that they're attys. I just know the Cisco has way better flavour, is way longer lasting, and I got a lot of dry hits after the first day of use with the IKVs. I really noticed the difference between a normal 510 and a Cisco 510, so I would venture to say that these "high quality coils" are not as common as we might think. I honestly can't believe how good the Cisco spec atty was in comparison to any other atty I've tried.

I'm with you here. I've used Cisco lr306 for a while now but I did venture out and get the IKV just to try. No contest, Cisco only from here on out.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I kinda went through a snobby phase -- and if I'm being honest, there's no way I could get by with just a straight eGo for long. I need my VV! I need the choice, even if I'm not always using it at ranges that exceed an unregulated eGo battery. (I've never vaped at anything lower than 3.7 except when I didn't have anything else.) But these days I've kind of adopted a "right device for the job" kind of attitude. I have cartos and clearos that perform excellent on an ordinary eGo. Most of my stuff works great on the Twist. Dual coils need a lot more muscle, so the ProVari v2, EVO, Vmax or Lava Tube 1.5T get the job. Or if I have a medium resistance dual I stack the Silver Bullet. (2.5ohm duals work great in that configuration. Or they did when SmokTech made good cartos, anyway.)

Right now I have a tanked Boge SR on the ProVari at 5V, a 3ml Firebird (SR) on the Twist at 4.2, Stardust 2 with LR head on an unregulated eGo, another tanked Boge SR on the VMax, and a SR 1.2ml Firebird on the LT 1.5T at 4.2V. They all get used and loved. :)

NoizMaker

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Lindsay, ON

Funny how opinions differ. I found the Cisco 306 was great for TH, vapour and heat while the 1.8 ohm IKV 306 switched sent me is alive and kicking to this day and did much better in terms of flavour. Unless an awful lot has changed since then the IKV atties are still a personal favourite but I find myself buying Ciscos anyway because they are easier to find.

The only atomizer I have ever had die on me was a Cisco LR 510 and it only lasted a week, so keep in mind this stuff is all relative to tastes and there is no real way to proclaim a winner other than to try it and make a decision yourself.

I was a dedicated Cisco 306 user for pretty much a whole year straight and regret nothing about the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread