Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
i am trying to figure out which one i would like. i already have a VT mod the eVic VT but i want to upgrade on that.

i like VW's but at times im just simply tired of messing around with the wattage. i don't mind warm vapor i've gotten used to it. i use subohm coils only and am looking to switch from flavor chasing to cloud chasing and just simply keep my evic for flavor chasing/on the go.

any opinions which i should look into investing in. i will be owning this mod for probably a year at the least maybe longer if it lasts that long. currently am looking at Snow wolf 200wat for the VW mod Mech mod i'd like a box mod and was looking at the tug boat box mods but i am open to other box mods if suggested.

I use both regulated and mechanical mods. With the regulated ones I set the watts and leave it. If I don't clean the coils soon enough and the vape becomes muted I can raise the watts a bit until I'm ready to clean the coils. With mech mods you need to make and install new coils to change the power and you have to deal with the power fluctuation as you vape and battery voltage goes down.

If you want to vape at over about 80 watts you'll need two batteries in both regulated or mechs or you'll be pulling too much current from a single battery.

If I wanted to vape at high power I would use a regulated box mod. They are safer, the power is stable and there are some very good ones out there for reasonable prices these days. I only have experience with a Sigelei 150 that I typically use at around 40 watts, so I'll leave it to others to advise on which are better.

Danbrooks2k

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Pensacola, Florida
Mech mods are good if you are a collector... otherwise there isn't one good reason to bother with them if you just want a decent vape. A VW mod allows you to dial in the flavor... with a mech you have to build the coil to work with the battery and RDA and then struggle with voltage drop and loss of flavor and vapor as the battery dies.

If you want temp control and don't mind removing batteries you wont get more mod than the x-cube for the money. If you want cheap try the istick 100 watt... I have one... it isn't fancy but I have zero complaints. One mech mod isn't going to hit any harder than any other mech mod aside from slightly better conductors.

With a VW your vape will be the same until the batteries die.

I have a Tesla two... that is my only non regulated mod... I got it because its tiny and works good with my black crown for a compact smoke machine.

BreeZyCloudZ

Sep 23, 2015
NC
I never cloud chase anymore, yet there's a mechanical mod in my hand. (and there has been since before there was such a thing as cloud chasing.)
Whether you choose a mechanical or a VW/TC is up to you. You STILL have to learn how to use whichever you choose.

Since cloud chasing is what you want to do, it's a lot safer with a good VW mod.
Did i say a mech mod is specifically for cloud chasing? Uhh no, i mean they are the go to for most cloud chasers, i dont cloud chase anymore and use a mech mod

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Mech mods are good if you are a collector... otherwise there isn't one good reason to bother with them if you just want a decent vape.

That is like saying there isn't any reason to buy a car with a stick shift unless you are a collector. Nonsense. Durability and simplicity are excellent reasons to buy a mech. I would say most mech mod users aren't collectors. I'm certainly not and all I want is a decent vape. I just don't need the electronics to do it for me. I think the current range of VV/VW new equipment is great because it has made it super easy for someone new wanting to get into vaping to more easily have a satisfying vape and that's it's greatest asset. But that doesn't mean it negates the mechanical world as a viable option.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Mech mods are good if you are a collector... otherwise there isn't one good reason to bother with them if you just want a decent vape. A VW mod allows you to dial in the flavor... with a mech you have to build the coil to work with the battery and RDA and then struggle with voltage drop and loss of flavor and vapor as the battery dies.

If you want temp control and don't mind removing batteries you wont get more mod than the x-cube for the money. If you want cheap try the istick 100 watt... I have one... it isn't fancy but I have zero complaints. One mech mod isn't going to hit any harder than any other mech mod aside from slightly better conductors.

With a VW your vape will be the same until the batteries die.

I have a Tesla two... that is my only non regulated mod... I got it because its tiny and works good with my black crown for a compact smoke machine.

Actually some mech mods do hit harder than others and when dealing with a mech, conductivity is a huge deal.

I can tell the difference between my Infected ss and brass compared to my solid copper. There is less lag and battery lasts longer due to the better conduction.

Mechs also give a different flavor that a regulated just cannot do. I have a cool vape at beginning draw and a warm or hot vape at the end, depending on how long I draw. This creates a different or range of flavor out of my liquid. My regulated is the same flavor start to end since there isn't a ramp time.

To say mechs are just for collectors is crazy, they are for experienced vapers for sure. Anyone can use a regulated device and it work great. To run a mech takes time, skill, and the want to.

The only time I'd say a mech isn't really useful is with a tank, unless it has a rebuilable deck. Dripping thought on a mech to me is just about as good as it gets.

To each their own but never say never when its an opinion and not a fact, that's just insane, lol. I don't care for temp control but I'd never tell anyone not to try it. I've actually recommended it to people, in some ways I see it as a better alternative for certain people.

Lastly a mech makes a great backup for a regulated device that just quits working. I know from experience, most of the time they just stop with no warning or sign. Pull out a battery and slap it in the mech that's been riding in the glove box for a year and good to go, lol.

Reactions: vapomike

vapomike

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Hickory, NC (USA)
I personally use both and love both. The reason I love my regulated devices is they are easy and simple. Just throw something at them, adjust your settings and vape away. Also it's easier to control vapor production and extend battery/juice consumption. For example on my 50w box I build my subtank mini to .75 ohms and the battery will last two days while a tank will last 10 hours or so at 20w. On my IPV3 Li I can push the limits of my builds and try for max flavor/clouds. Although I still stay with in my battery limits so the IPV3 actually never sees 200w.

My mechs are more of a tinkering for the best build while staying within safe limits. I pretty much have it down at this point, but it's still fun to play around with and see what I can get out of them. It's just a satisfying experience for me to get a good vape off of a mech with a fresh build. Also my mechs don't leave the house they are just for dripping at home.

All this being said if I was forced to choose I'd give up my mechs. Regulated vaping gives a much more consistent and controllable vape experience. You can control the vape with a mech, but you are limited by your build and how charged your battery is at the moment. Also another note is there is no way to know exactly where your battery charge is on a mech other than taking it out and putting it on a voltmeter or other device that has a battery indicator. But to change your vape on a mech you can't just hit a button and change a setting. You have to either get a freshly charged battery or rebuild your atomizer. I could never use a mech as an all day vape just for the fact that you are at the mercy of your battery. Where as with your regulated device as long as your battery has some usable charge on it you are getting the same hit every time. In the early days of my vaping there was nothing more painful than that dissatisfaction of a half charged battery.

If your goal is a simple vape than there really is no question regulated is the only option. A mech is simple in design not so much in use. You have to be aware of your build and connection points much more so than with a regulated device. There is no hey idiot you just threw a short at me I'm not firing that protection. So you have to be more cautious with safety. You still have to watch your limits on regulated devices, but you do have a chip that helps between the atomizer and the battery. Whatever you get you need to do research on it and read reviews/personal experiences and see if it fits you. But from just this thread I'd have to say that a regulated device is your best bet.

3ebmike

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2015
i am trying to figure out which one i would like. i already have a VT mod the eVic VT but i want to upgrade on that.

i like VW's but at times im just simply tired of messing around with the wattage. i don't mind warm vapor i've gotten used to it. i use subohm coils only and am looking to switch from flavor chasing to cloud chasing and just simply keep my evic for flavor chasing/on the go.

any opinions which i should look into investing in. i will be owning this mod for probably a year at the least maybe longer if it lasts that long. currently am looking at Snow wolf 200wat for the VW mod Mech mod i'd like a box mod and was looking at the tug boat box mods but i am open to other box mods if suggested.

I don't see why you'd get a mech mod over a VW/VV TC mod.. If you're looking to cloud chase the VW mod will, I think personally do a better job and produce more clouds then a mech mod. Mech mods don't give out consistent power at once.. After you first 10 hits, you're already started to go down in vapor production slowly, but surely. So I'd say definitely get a Mod that you can adjust the wattage on, also no offense but it's really not that difficult to chance the damn wattage on your mod man, come on. I'd take a look at the IPV4S, IPV4, IPV3LI, and the Snow Wolf. I own all of those and I have to say my favorite is the IPV4.. just something about it.. I feel like it fires the quickest.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
Mechs also give a different flavor that a regulated just cannot do. I have a cool vape at beginning draw and a warm or hot vape at the end, depending on how long I draw. This creates a different or range of flavor out of my liquid. My regulated is the same flavor start to end since there isn't a ramp time.

You can get the same type of vape from a VW mod, just have to bring the wattage down some.
I am not a fan of the 'boost' feature on some devices (especially on TC mod) myself, but as far as regular vaping goes, you can absolutely have a slower ramp up.
I do think that mechs give a smoother vape over devices that use PWM which seem notoriously harsh to me, but with a decent chip that has a flat and smooth signal that is not an issue.

Reactions: papergoblin

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I don't see why you'd get a mech mod over a VW/VV TC mod.. If you're looking to cloud chase the VW mod will, I think personally do a better job and produce more clouds then a mech mod. Mech mods don't give out consistent power at once.. After you first 10 hits, you're already started to go down in vapor production slowly, but surely. So I'd say definitely get a Mod that you can adjust the wattage on, also no offense but it's really not that difficult to chance the damn wattage on your mod man, come on. I'd take a look at the IPV4S, IPV4, IPV3LI, and the Snow Wolf. I own all of those and I have to say my favorite is the IPV4.. just something about it.. I feel like it fires the quickest.

Clouds have nothing to do with the "mod".

They have EVERYTHING to do with the atomizer.

Reactions: crunchie812

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
If mechs are about tinkering, adjusting coils, chasing clouds or flavor or butterflies, et cetera and so forth...

... I've been doing it all wrong. I don't tinker or adjust or chase anything. Once ones atties is set up to go on a mech, there is no "simpler" setup to be found. Push a button - have a vape. Building a coil for a mech is no more or less work than building any other coil. Figuring how to build a coil that does not suffer the full extent of the "voltage creep" - that may take a little time. You build coils for a range, not a set wattage. Efficiency is key to get the most out of ones battery. Difference with regulated mods is that one can brute force ones way past this learning curve by simply upping the power until any coil produces some amount of vapor.

Adjusting wattage "for efficiency" is an illusion. Efficiency is in the coil. It takes a specific amount of power to bring a specific coil up to the required temperature. Feeding it less power does not increase efficiency. It will simply produce less vapor at a lower power drain. I dare say it's less efficient as there's a temperature threshold you want to cross as quickly as possible to avoid heat sinking over time.

crunchie812

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
If mechs are about tinkering, adjusting coils, chasing clouds or flavor or butterflies, et cetera and so forth...

... I've been doing it all wrong. I don't tinker or adjust or chase anything. Once ones atties is set up to go on a mech, there is no "simpler" setup to be found. Push a button - have a vape. Building a coil for a mech is no more or less work than building any other coil. Figuring how to build a coil that does not suffer the full extent of the "voltage creep" - that may take a little time. You build coils for a range, not a set wattage. Efficiency is key to get the most out of ones battery. Difference with regulated mods is that one can brute force ones way past this learning curve by simply upping the power until any coil produces some amount of vapor.

Adjusting wattage "for efficiency" is an illusion. Efficiency is in the coil. It takes a specific amount of power to bring a specific coil up to the required temperature. Feeding it less power does not increase efficiency. It will simply produce less vapor at a lower power drain. I dare say it's less efficient as there's a temperature threshold you want to cross as quickly as possible to avoid heat sinking over time.

Yes! What he said!

A regulated mod is good for finding that range and what coil you want for a specific atty. I use Taifuns GT2, ErlKs, and Magmas, slightly different coils on each, double coil on the Magmas. I'm good from freshly charged down to about 3.5~3.4v. My Sigelei Mini adjusts to .1w, which is senseless and makes it a pain to adjust. Better if it had a VV mode and cycled through .1v increments and displayed the wattage. It does make a good backup in case something happens to my ohm/volt tester or battery charger.

Hands down, the most pleasureful, and tinker free vaping gear I have ever used is a cheap unregulated squonk box with a Magma clone modded for bottom feed. It just works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread