Kayfun (clone) questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpidaFly

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
Glenadle, AZ
Hello,

I have a Kayfun 3.1 clone. I have questions..

1. What is the maximum space recommended between the coil and the air hole?

2. What is the minimum recommended resistance across the unit? I've been warned that running too hot can melt the o-rings in the tank.

3. What is the most likely cause of gurgling in the tank? (Over-priming the wick perhaps?)

4. On my particular clone, there doesn't seem to be a fill hole on the bottom like I see in a lot of videos. What's the correct way to refill the tank to ensure against leaking?

Thanks.

Last edited:

sedition

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
New Zealand
  1. More is better than less - around 2.0 - 2.5mm works well. Less space begins to restrict airflow (through the hole you see underneath)
  2. I've read 1.5 - 1.8 ohms is the sweet spot for flavour. I prefer 1.5 ohm personally for my ADVs - MBV Hawk Sauce and Halo Malibu.
  3. Try draping the wick over the holes where the juice enters the chamber - despite many people advising the opposite, it works great for me.
  4. The 3.1 has the valve instead of the bottom fill hole. There are three holes on the base section - left to right they are the airflow control set screw, airflow intake, and the fill valve. You can fill either by tipping the empty and assembled Kayfun upside down, then using a bottle with a long thin tip (normally included in the box) press the nozzle into the valve hole and gently press.

I've personally never bothered with it, I just top-fill. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fy3ptjro4k

Language warning!

kteto

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2013
London
1..1-2mm gap between the coil and airhole
2..im using 28g 2mm coil build between1.2-1.5 ohms..take note KF is not suitable for high wattage build..
3..i dont have gurgling issue on all my KF but have dry hits if i overfill the cotton..
4..Put a finger over the airflow hole, fill, start the cap threading, flip, un-block the air hole and finish snugging down the cap

SpidaFly

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
Glenadle, AZ
[*]I've read 1.5 - 1.8 ohms is the sweet spot for flavour. I prefer 1.5 ohm personally for my ADVs - MBV Hawk Sauce and Halo Malibu.
2..im using 28g 2mm coil build between1.2-1.5 ohms..take note KF is not suitable for high wattage build..

Ok, thanks! Sounds like I'm under-building a bit then. Multimeter reads 1.3 at the base even though the Steam Engine estimates 0.8 ohm (8 wraps 26ga kanthal). I'll have to get some 28 or 30 and give it a few more wraps.

Oh, and +1 on the Halo Malibu. That's what I have in my Kayfun right now! :D:vapor:

Last edited:

sedition

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
New Zealand
Ok, thanks! Sounds like I'm under-building a bit then. Multimeter reads 1.3 at the base even though the Steam Engine estimates 0.8 ohm (8 wraps 26ga kanthal). I'll have to get some 28 or 30 and give it a few more wraps.

Don't forget to subtract resistance of the multimeter itself - touch the leads together and give it about 30 seconds to give a stable reading, take that away from the coil resistance. That should bring it down to the 0.8ohms. Steam Engine is scary accurate.

Oh, and +1 on the Halo Malibu. That's what I have in my Kayfun right now! :D:vapor:

Have you noticed that it doesn't leave any scent behind? It's perfect for vaping inside if you need to be considerate of others. I vape it in my shared office at work.

SpidaFly

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
Glenadle, AZ
Don't forget to subtract resistance of the multimeter itself - touch the leads together and give it about 30 seconds to give a stable reading, take that away from the coil resistance. That should bring it down to the 0.8ohms. Steam Engine is scary accurate.
Resistance across the leads is about 0.3 ohms. I forgot to measure the coil itself, only measured it from the base (1.3-1.4 ohms). So even if I went 1.3-0.3=1 ohm, it's still a ways off from the expected 0.8ohms of the coil. I'm thinking my multimeter might have accuracy issues.

Have you noticed that it doesn't leave any scent behind? It's perfect for vaping inside if you need to be considerate of others. I vape it in my shared office at work.
Yep! It's great.Sometimes when I want to cut down the nic of my Malibu I mix it with some 0mg strawberry flavor so it's like a strawberry pina collada. Pretty cool. :)

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Multimeter reads 1.3 at the base

What kind of multimeter? Unless it's very high-end, I wouldn't trust fractional resistance measuements, without digging up the specs and verifying it. I have a Fluke 115 -- appx $130 meter, low end of Fluke's "electronics" line. It doesn't do small resistance measurements with high accuracy. Probably somewhere on ECF there's at least one discussion of digital meters and accuracy.

I built my own milli-ohm adapter for my meter. Cheap circuit, and it allowed me to discover just how far off all my mutlimeters are on low resistance measurements.

There are purpose-built meters for testing your coils. While I don't own one, as I don't need it, I would recommend getting one.

SpidaFly

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
Glenadle, AZ
What kind of multimeter? Unless it's very high-end, I wouldn't trust fractional resistance measuements, without digging up the specs and verifying it. I have a Fluke 115 -- appx $130 meter, low end of Fluke's "electronics" line. It doesn't do small resistance measurements with high accuracy. Probably somewhere on ECF there's at least one discussion of digital meters and accuracy.

I built my own milli-ohm adapter for my meter. Cheap circuit, and it allowed me to discover just how far off all my mutlimeters are on low resistance measurements.

There are purpose-built meters for testing your coils. While I don't own one, as I don't need it, I would recommend getting one.

Hmm... ok, guess it would be worth the investment. Hopefully I can find somewhere that has one in stock. Are the $20 510 connector models any good?

Thanks for the advice.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread