kayfun clone 3.1 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pur3Rush

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Southern California
I've been vaping for about 3.5 years. I just got a kayfun 3.1 from fasttech.com . I have mech mods, and usually drip. I also have an Aqua clone that i love, but it's juice capacity leaves a lot to be desired.

I built the coil @ 1.2 ohm, cotton wick, filled with juice and fired her up. I was very unimpressed. I kept vaping saying aloud, is this what all the fuss is about. I texted my brother to see if he wanted to buy it off me, then I could put that money toward a fasttech hades clone for 30bucks. I decided to build it again,

this time I built a .9 ohm twisted 30guage coil. Cotton wicked it *used less cotton this time, put the tank together, filled with juice, then fired her up.. ooohh yeah, the flavor on this thing is about 9.5 out of 10, with dripping being a 10. It gave me more vapor than my dual coil Aqua. Don't know how it did that.

Yeah I would so buy another one if I hadn't already blown my vape budget, and if I didn't have a 3d dripper clone on the way.. I give the 3.1 clone two thumbs waaaay up..

Just my 2 cents.

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
this time I built a .9 ohm twisted 30guage coil. Cotton wicked it *used less cotton this time, put the tank together, filled with juice, then fired her up.

since i am planning on buying the 3.1 can you elaborate on how to build a .9 ohm "TWISTED" 30 gauge coil. i have never heard of the twisted aspect of it but if you could explain how that's done or point me to a video on it that would be great thanks.

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
since i am planning on buying the 3.1 can you elaborate on how to build a .9 ohm "TWISTED" 30 gauge coil. i have never heard of the twisted aspect of it but if you could explain how that's done or point me to a video on it that would be great thanks.

1. Unroll and snip off a piece of 30g wire that is roughly twice as long as you'll need.
2. Fold it in half
3. Grab the two ends with a pair of pliers and hook the loop end with an allen wrench or some such device
4. Twist the allen wrench until your wires are tightly twisted together
5. Now you have a 2-strand twisted wire

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
1. Unroll and snip off a piece of 30g wire that is roughly twice as long as you'll need.
2. Fold it in half
3. Grab the two ends with a pair of pliers and hook the loop end with an allen wrench or some such device
4. Twist the allen wrench until your wires are tightly twisted together
5. Now you have a 2-strand twisted wire

ok so what is the main advantage of using a twisted wire as opposed to a single wire with many coils.

Pur3Rush

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Southern California
Twisted coil provides more coil surface area. Gives you a denser, wetter, almost juicy vape. I'm vaping a diy candy apple. Unbelievable in the kayfun. The youtube king of coils is "Riptrippers" . He's quite an excitable fellow, but he knows what he's talking about. I learned everything I know about coils from this guy. Scroll to tutorials when you check out his youtube videos. He also has his own juice line of boutique type eliquids.

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
ok so what is the main advantage of using a twisted wire as opposed to a single wire with many coils.

2-strand twisted 30g vs. single-strand 30g
Advantage #1 - shorter overall coil length to achieve equal resistance (assuming equal ID's); saves space inside yer chamber
Advantage #2 - less length = less thermal resistance (coming from ambient air) = quicker ramp-up (to vaporization temp; shorter toot-time) NOTE: 2-s twisted will have slightly more wire mass than a single-strand of same gauge and same resistance, however, even though the added wire mass usually yields higher thermal resistance, that mass if twisted tightly together and then arranged into small ID contact coil should provide enough thermal conductance to overcome said mass-induced thermal resistance. It will get hot and stay hot better and faster than single-strand because it's twisted and wrapped all snuglike.
Advantage #3 - Increased wire mass per unit length = less likelihood of hot-leg-coil-popping

2-strand twisted 30g vs. single-strand 28g (of equal Ohms)
Advantage #1 - increased surface area for direct wire-to-juice contact = more vapor per toot
Advantage #2 - when yer out of 28g, you can still toot like a champ

Last edited:

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
2-strand twisted 30g vs. single-strand 30g
Advantage #1 - shorter overall coil length to achieve equal resistance (assuming equal ID's); saves space inside yer chamber
Advantage #2 - less length = less thermal resistance (coming from ambient air) = quicker ramp-up (to vaporization temp; shorter toot-time) NOTE: 2-s twisted will have slightly more wire mass than a single-strand of same gauge and same resistance, however, even though the added wire mass usually yields higher thermal resistance, that mass if twisted tightly together and then arranged into small ID contact coil should provide enough thermal conductance to overcome said mass-induced thermal resistance. It will get hot and stay hot better and faster than single-strand because it's twisted and wrapped all snuglike.
Advantage #3 - Increased wire mass per unit length = less likelihood of hot-leg-coil-popping

2-strand twisted 30g vs. single-strand 28g (of equal Ohms)
Advantage #1 - increased surface area for direct wire-to-juice contact = more vapor per toot
Advantage #2 - when yer out of 28g, you can still toot like a champ

thanks for wrapping that up like that. :)

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
I see what you did there. ;)

BTW, How'd it go with the puppy?

she is good she is setting in my lap right now. but i had to cut some jeans to make a outfit for her cause they didn't give me a cone to keep her from licking her incision lol ill get a pic real quick posted its kinda funny. tell me this isn't some kick a improvising lol. :thumbs:

DSCF2326_zps1eac8604.jpg

DSCF2327_zpsb0d57281.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread