Is n-e-one starting to wish the british won the war???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zben504

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa, OK
www.VaporBliss.com
I saw some show that said London has over 2 million street cameras and they're implementing facial tracking software into all of them. Example: your on the government watch list for voicing strong opinions about the government. You walk down the street and a cam can automatically track your face then run it through their database. Next thing you know your in a poorly lit room being interrigated. Sounds extremely paranoid but you won't catch me living in that police state.

EtherMagic

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
I saw some show that said London has over 2 million street cameras and they're implementing facial tracking software into all of them. Example: your on the government watch list for voicing strong opinions about the government. You walk down the street and a cam can automatically track your face then run it through their database. Next thing you know your in a poorly lit room being interrogated. Sounds extremely paranoid but you won't catch me living in that police state.

Here in Chicago (I live 20miles out-side) implemented the identical technology. Actually Mayor Daley brought up the British about 20 times in his speech when the money got approved for the 10,000 camera's posted up in the city.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090223/1502283870.shtml

"Governments around the world are finding reasons to install surveillance cameras, but few are keeping account of the costs and benefits that come from those CCTV systems. Chicago, in its bid to follow in China's steps as host of the Olympics, is the most recent one to do so. By spending millions of dollars, Chicago aims to have a camera "on every corner" in preparation for the 2016 Summer Games that it hopes to host. But they are doing so without thoughtful implementation or an understanding of the realities of around-the-clock government surveillance.

Under the auspices of fighting crime and preventing terrorism, Chicago's Police Superintendent Jody Weis is hyping CCTV as having "limitless" crime-fighting potential. The reality, as is evident to anyone who has actually researched this type of thing, is that studies have shown municipal surveillance cameras to have little to no positive effect on crime. Further, London is widely known to have the most extensive CCTV network in the world, but that served as little deterrent to the terrorists of July 2005. But instead of bringing this up, the Sun-Times and Chicago officials point to a test in which "live video was used to catch a petty thief in the act of sticking his hand in a Salvation Army kettle outside Macy's State Street." Given the cost in both dollars and civil liberties, it is hard to justify catching petty criminals stealing some coins from charity.

But according to another city official, "civil libertarians have nothing to fear" from the blanket surveillance system because police operating the pan-and-tilt CCTV cameras see only what you would see if you were sitting on a park bench in front of that building." The difference, of course, is that by extending government power to all facets of public life, you extend the asymmetry of power between citizens and government (especially the corrupt ones for which Illinois is known). Indeed, we have already seen examples of "park bench" type cameras being abused by government."

The Olympics are just an excuse to install more, the camera system was announced way before the Olympics where!

Last edited:

Zofryer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
Near DC
zofryer.com
I find I have a particular distaste for anything said by someone who would bother to add an extra keystroke to sound like a 12 year old. There again, I do have some pride in where I live despite the mistakes they sometimes make. So two strikes in my book.

Yeah, it's bad when fark.com actually has a "florida" tag. An entire state getting slammed. Still, Jacksonville is friggin awesome in my book. About a million people, so just the right size. Great place to raise a family. Cost of living is low, but the standard of living is high. Great restaurants, beaches, etc. Beats the hell out of DC. It makes my "places I'd retire" list.

Bigbob

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
I know, I know, sounds stupid, and yes this is for entertainment purposes, but in a small way I'm being freakin serious (out of anger of-course)! I would be happy with either of them, the Revolutionary war, or the war of 1812, they should have kicked our butts!!! We would not have to be worried about our E-Cigs!!!LOL :D

The brittish did win the war of 1812.

Zben504

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa, OK
www.VaporBliss.com
Here in Chicago (I live 20miles out-side) implemented the identical technology. Actually Mayor Daley brought up the British about 20 times in his speech when the money got approved for the 10,000 camera's posted up in the city.

Chicago Rushes Head First Into 'Limitless' Surveillance | Techdirt

"Governments around the world are finding reasons to install surveillance cameras, but few are keeping account of the costs and benefits that come from those CCTV systems. Chicago, in its bid to follow in China's steps as host of the Olympics, is the most recent one to do so. By spending millions of dollars, Chicago aims to have a camera "on every corner" in preparation for the 2016 Summer Games that it hopes to host. But they are doing so without thoughtful implementation or an understanding of the realities of around-the-clock government surveillance.

Under the auspices of fighting crime and preventing terrorism, Chicago's Police Superintendent Jody Weis is hyping CCTV as having "limitless" crime-fighting potential. The reality, as is evident to anyone who has actually researched this type of thing, is that studies have shown municipal surveillance cameras to have little to no positive effect on crime. Further, London is widely known to have the most extensive CCTV network in the world, but that served as little deterrent to the terrorists of July 2005. But instead of bringing this up, the Sun-Times and Chicago officials point to a test in which "live video was used to catch a petty thief in the act of sticking his hand in a Salvation Army kettle outside Macy's State Street." Given the cost in both dollars and civil liberties, it is hard to justify catching petty criminals stealing some coins from charity.

But according to another city official, "civil libertarians have nothing to fear" from the blanket surveillance system because police operating the pan-and-tilt CCTV cameras see only what you would see if you were sitting on a park bench in front of that building." The difference, of course, is that by extending government power to all facets of public life, you extend the asymmetry of power between citizens and government (especially the corrupt ones for which Illinois is known). Indeed, we have already seen examples of "park bench" type cameras being abused by government."

The Olympics are just an excuse to install more, the camera system was announced way before the Olympics where!

I would spit on mayor daly if I lived in chicago. That type of thinking makes me sick. And there are people who say "hey if it makes the streets safer". I would rather live in a crime infested city than know I'm under 24/7 watch by the government. Does anyone believe they have our best interests at heart?

Bigbob

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
I would spit on mayor daly if I lived in chicago. That type of thinking makes me sick. And there are people who say "hey if it makes the streets safer". I would rather live in a crime infested city than know I'm under 24/7 watch by the government. Does anyone believe they have our best interests at heart?

Better start saving your spit, 'cause cameras are already everywhere, and lot's more are coming.

The question is what are you going to do about it?

Edit: Just a quick google search showed: The public can now see what the Oklahoma Department of Transportation sees with their 29 traffic cameras in Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

They are already in you city...

Last edited:

Zben504

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa, OK
www.VaporBliss.com
Better start saving your spit, 'cause cameras are already everywhere, and lot's more are coming.

The question is what are you going to do about it?

Edit: Just a quick google search showed: The public can now see what the Oklahoma Department of Transportation sees with their 29 traffic cameras in Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

They are already in you city...

traffic cameras don't bother me as much as street cameras. And if the public can go online and watch a live feed, it really doesn't bother me. They're obviously for traffic and not invading our privacy. Yeah it still sucks. But thankfully I live out in the country where I don't have to worry about all that. Besides, 29 cameras? That's barely any at all. And Tulsa really isn't much of a walking city, so if they do implement sidewalk cameras it would only be in downtown Tulsa. So Oklahoma is pretty non police-statey (I know that's not a word :p)

Moved On
May 10, 2009
Pacific NW
Nope, I don't. Because we still have a long shot at saving our country. England is already dead to rights. We will be there soon, as you can see, more often than not non-citizens have more rights and free rides than the tax-paying citizens themselves. This was UK's downfall, and will soon be ours. It comes from being too PC, people and their reps are too ..... to say, "No sorry, we don't want the worlds garbage, turn around, go home." Simply letting the 3rd world pour in turns our country into the 3rd world. Look at CA, budget problems? You're telling me that paying room/board/welfare/school/healthcare/etc. for non-citizens is a boon to the economy? But no-one will say it, it would hurt too many people's paper thin feelings. If you think I'm being too harsh, suck it up, I fought for this country, I should have a say in it.

Bigbob

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
Nope, I don't. Because we still have a long shot at saving our country. England is already dead to rights. We will be there soon, as you can see, more often than not non-citizens have more rights and free rides than the tax-paying citizens themselves. This was UK's downfall, and will soon be ours. It comes from being too PC, people and their reps are too ..... to say, "No sorry, we don't want the worlds garbage, turn around, go home." Simply letting the 3rd world pour in turns our country into the 3rd world. Look at CA, budget problems? You're telling me that paying room/board/welfare/school/healthcare/etc. for non-citizens is a boon to the economy? But no-one will say it, it would hurt too many people's paper thin feelings. If you think I'm being too harsh, suck it up, I fought for this country, I should have a say in it.

What happened to " Give us your tired, your hungry and your poor." Now it's: "Stay away,we're fat and happy and don't need you to do our dirty work anymore?" Unless your a native american or african american, your ancestors were "The tired, hungry and the poor!"

While I did not fight in any war (unless you count the war on drugs) I too served in the US military.

Moved On
May 10, 2009
Pacific NW
What happened to " Give us your tired, your hungry and your poor." Now it's: "Stay away,we're fat and happy and don't need you to do our dirty work anymore?" Unless your a native american or african american, your ancestors were "The tired, hungry and the poor!"

While I did not fight in any war (unless you count the war on drugs) I too served in the US military.

That entails immigration on a legal basis. When someone is a legal immigrant they pay taxes, when they pay taxes it fund schools, health, infrastructure etc. America was not ready to receive this many people and have it's entire culture changed in a matter of years. The largest problem is all other people from poor countries see is "FREE RIDE", they want something with structure that is already in place because THEY have FAILED to work to implement these things in their own country. Now their burdon rests on MY shoulders, the US taxpayer. Our infrastructure is WAY over capacity because those individuals chose to skirt the law in their best interests, not society or their own country as a whole.

And by the way, my grandparents were from Norway, they were legal immigrants, they paid taxes AND spoke english BEFORE they arrived. They were a burdon on NO-ONE.

Last edited:

AngelsBreath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Alabama, United States
I find I have a particular distaste for anything said by someone who would bother to add an extra keystroke to sound like a 12 year old. There again, I do have some pride in where I live despite the mistakes they sometimes make. So two strikes in my book.

Lighten up lmao...what part of joke didn't you get? I mean really? Just saying is all. Good grief just laugh it off for goodness sake or you are going to die young due to stress over the small stuff. Take a deep breath Uptown and just relax ;) trust me, it's not a big deal hahahaha.

Sorry, I know this is an old thread...I just could NOT help myself lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread