Is n-e-one starting to wish the british won the war???

Status
Not open for further replies.

EtherMagic

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
I know, I know, sounds stupid, and yes this is for entertainment purposes, but in a small way I'm being freakin serious (out of anger of-course)! I would be happy with either of them, the Revolutionary war, or the war of 1812, they should have kicked our butts!!! We would not have to be worried about our E-Cigs!!!LOL :D

The Brits just seem much more down to earth, they can be much more out-spoken in there country without the backlash, don't have to worry about being as politically correct as us Americans, and they have there E-CIGS!!!!! LOL

I remember a report on the News a while back about the CEO of McDonalds saying something along the lines of "So what, everyone knows are food is fattening, we are not forcing n-e-one to eat it".

I remember the reporter saying "McDonald's American CEO is British, she/he is from a place where you can talk like that, they don't understand that you can not talk like that here!".

I'm starting to dislike this Country more and More each day, or our Government for that matter! And just to think my Grandfather pretty much gave his life for this country by being ShellShocked from WW2 his entier life, he was never the same since!

All I gotta say is I would never fight for this country, but I would go to war to protect my Children, (Only if we where being invaded! LOL). If it's the Brits invading, I won't even get up! I'll sit infront of my TV, puff away on my E-Cig and pray they win! :)

If we have any laws that are cooler them British Law, speak-up now, or forever hold your peace!!! :D

Last edited:

Porphy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Lancaster, CA
www.AVEJuice.com
OP said the post was mostly for entertainment lets let it stay that way please.

I'd suggest living as an expatriate for awhile before saying something like this. Not that it'll change your mind (hell I don't know you) but it would change most peoples minds. Try England or a country still under or recently under British control.

NikUk

Jul 22, 2009
London
The Brits just seem much more down to earth, they can be much more out-spoken in there country without the backlash, don't have to worry about being as politically correct as us Americans, and they have there E-CIGS!!!!! LOL

As a Brit myself, I just felt that I had to stick my neck out here :)

I understand where the OP is coming from, but this is seriously a case of the grass is greener.... As someone else mentioned, do try it for a while before making said wish!

As for politically incorrectness... again I see where you are coming from, but I have to say, from my experience, we Brits seem to go a little nuts when it comes to being politically incorrect... for example;

I have always worked as a civil servant, and being in positions of local government, get to hear some of the best of political correctness gone awry.

When discussing the topic of refuse collection sacks, I am not to say "black" sacks, but have to say "refuse" sacks.

We as a local council, are not allowed to say to someone "Happy Christmas". We have to say seasons greetings.

Some of our local schools no longer are allowed to use the term "Easter Celebration" but have to use the term "Multi-Cultural Celebration".

But the best one I had, which I still can not for the life of me work out the principle behind, I was told not to use the term "park", but had to call it a "green space".

So back to the OP, yes we Brits may be more reserved and down to earth, but unfortunately, we bow to the pressure of the Nanny State, and we have to watch what we say!

Talen

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
East Coast U.S.A/Thailand
As a Brit myself, I just felt that I had to stick my neck out here :)

I understand where the OP is coming from, but this is seriously a case of the grass is greener.... As someone else mentioned, do try it for a while before making said wish!

As for politically incorrectness... again I see where you are coming from, but I have to say, from my experience, we Brits seem to go a little nuts when it comes to being politically incorrect... for example;

I have always worked as a civil servant, and being in positions of local government, get to hear some of the best of political correctness gone awry.

When discussing the topic of refuse collection sacks, I am not to say "black" sacks, but have to say "refuse" sacks.

We as a local council, are not allowed to say to someone "Happy Christmas". We have to say seasons greetings.

Some of our local schools no longer are allowed to use the term "Easter Celebration" but have to use the term "Multi-Cultural Celebration".

But the best one I had, which I still can not for the life of me work out the principle behind, I was told not to use the term "park", but had to call it a "green space".

So back to the OP, yes we Brits may be more reserved and down to earth, but unfortunately, we bow to the pressure of the Nanny State, and we have to watch what we say!

Man you guys are catching up fast...If you wan't we can send Obama over to finish it for you.

Better yet we'll send Al Gore...he really needs a new place to live other than America.8-o

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
No, Not really.

My ex was from Wolverhampton and we used to talk about the differences between the US and UK all the time and there are a lot of stupid laws & stuff over there. Like what guns you can and cant own, according to him you can't even own a paint ball gun with more than a set amount of power 8-o, says a 12 gauge would be out of the question, hell half the guns my dad owns wouldn't be allowed. Then there are all sorts of dumb laws regarding pets (IE he was telling me about this person he knew that the government made them put their dog to sleep because it attacked a guy that broke into their house, then the owner had to pay the man restitution!!) Then there's the whole thing about swans :rolleyes: And of course there's the fact that here in the US you can stand on a street corner talking about how much you hate Obama and sh*t talk him up one end and down the other and as long as you're not disturbing the peace they won't do anything about it. But in England (again this is coming from my conversations with the ex..) if you start shi*t talking the queen you will be arrested for it. Or how immigrants seem to be treated better than the citizens there (that's from both my sister in Scotland & the ex) And of course the fact that half of your pay goes to taxes.

I think I'll stick to America where I can have my vicious dogs, big guns, loud mouth, and don't have to give half of my $$ to the gov.

The grass is always greener... till you find out about the bugs hiding beneath the surface

Zofryer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
Near DC
zofryer.com
People are pretty much the same everywhere I've been once you hit the countryside. Even in the cities with extreme "tones" to them the vast majority of the people are pretty cool.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I'm not taking a government out for a pint of beer and some conversation. I'm not taking in a show with a head of state. I'm rarely directly impacted by any of the stupidity in gov't wherever I am. It's just slightly different BS depending on where you are.

In the end, little pieces of green paper are in charge. Despite the ethical debate on using human greed to move society forward, there's a certain calming effect when access to your BMW or trophy wife are at stake if you run down the streets naked shouting "THE ALIENS ARE COMING!" while brandishing an axe in one hand, and a big blue orange dildo in the other.

Hope This Helps

Last edited:

EtherMagic

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Is n-e-one starting to wish the british won the war???

Sure, so long as I don't have to eat the food:D

See, this is the kind of humor I started the thread for! :D

I agree, I HATE TEA and Crumpets!LOL JK Y'all UK folks

Hey, I also don't care for coffee and donuts either! ;)

KinUk: Wow, now that you bring the "Nanny" into this I think I'll get up from the TV after-all, toss the E-Cig in mouth and arm-up!lol I never knew that about the politically correct wording in Britain, they are starting to do that here in the states (been going on for a good 5-10 years now, American culture is fading in-front of us!). In fact, just this morning on the news they said they where taking the word (I believe this was the word, I know it had MAN in it) "Manhood" out of the dictionary and using a different term because it singles out a specific sex!

This is one reason I LOVE and HATE Fox news all at once, they think this politically correct wording crap is ridiculous, it's extreme liberalism! They tried to do that Christmas crap here also by posting signs in store saying happy holidays, and telling employee's they can't say Merry X n-e-more. In many towns there where protest, and even at my local best buy they ended up replacing "Happy Holiday" signs with "Merry X-Mass" as people started boycotting the stores.

Sounds much worse out there! The more conservative states/towns won't allow that here, while in bigger city's the "Happy Holidays" signs are everywhere.

I actually made this thread simply relating it to e-cigs, but hey, this got interesting, I learn something new everyday :)

BTW, I am very patriotic, but that's also a reason I said I feel that I'm at a cross-roads whether to fight for this country or not (of-course I would). These politics are going beyond ridiculous, they can't think of changing n-e-thing other then our culture and our rights these days, it really sickens me :mad:

Last edited:

UptownRiot

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Oh. Well, yeah. I've never really gotten rabid nationalism or the exact opposite of it. Still, I do think orange works better.

I find I have a particular distaste for anything said by someone who would bother to add an extra keystroke to sound like a 12 year old. There again, I do have some pride in where I live despite the mistakes they sometimes make. So two strikes in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread