Status
Not open for further replies.

btngchck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2010
Gibraltar, MI
I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this. It really is a powerhorse. But, I wanted to share some of my insight to maybe help others that are looking at it.

My first impression was WOW! This really is a thing of beauty.

I watched a couple of Jay's vids so I could try and do everything the right way (they helped me out). Then trying to figure out which atty and juice.

Filled the juice bottle and putting it all back together. I like his thought on the 10 mil bottle as that has a nice tight fit, but I definitely see his point as the bottle looks like chit after a day and a half and it's hard as h*** to squeeze (yes that's what I tried first, I rigged one to fit). I do like how snug that was compared to the 6 mil bottle. However to fix that I put a bit more cotton ball in the top cap (it holds the 6 ml bottle snugly).

I find myself holding it backwards? if there is such a thing and pressing the button with my forefinger instead of my thumb (as I do on my GLV2). It's a bit heavier than I expected (again nothing bad about it, just noting the weight of it). It's more comfortable for me to hold the feeder portion in my hand.....I'm sure it's all personal preference and hand size. My hands really aren't all that big.

One thing I guess I wasn't thinking about (and my son pointed out) is the use of an adapter while bottom feeding. It doesn't look like an option. I don't think anyway unless I can drill a bigger hole in the center of the adapter. But then my son's logic says how's the juice going to reach the atty:facepalm:.....hmmm more food for thought.

Quite easy to get the hang of feeding. I was really impressed by how quickly I got used to it and knowing just the right amount to squeeze. Yes, I overdid it a couple of times. :p

If you think that this thing is huge, it's really not. My son put his reo grand next to it and it really isn't much bigger than his Grand.

With all of that being said, I've only used it to bottom feed as yet. I'm LOVING IT! No dripping and driving. I have the GLV2 6V and a thor and have hardly touched either of them since I received this on Friday.

I am 100% satisfied with this purchase! Not just a happy customer but a RAVING FAN!

Happy vaping!:2cool:

debb

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
in the nj woods
got my sm yesterday....Grimms review is spot on...I'm using a dc carto on mine and noticed the gap ...the air flow for this dc is perfect...the vapor and flavor is superb...actually surprised me...lol..I tried the liquinator with the adapter....same result...massive flavor and vapor..and it looks cool perched on the mini....:)..306 dc carto....same...so , my fav cartos work great on the glv sm...Big surprises in the this tiny lil mod! This is a great purchase!

Barefoot

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Xianning, Hubei Province, China
My 1st Video Info-mercial Review
wink.png

I Bought this with my own Cash!

Name: GLV-XL Mini
Vendor/ Maker: Jay @ Great Lakes Vapor.com
Where: USA
Cost/Paid: $145 for the un-customised version (110GBP delivered for mine)
P+P: $12.50 ish to the UK
Wait: average 8 weeks lead time – actually took 12 weeks to the day
Aimed At: Vapers – rather than the Vape Curious

What is it?
Native Connector: 510 (also comes in 901 and 801)
Batteries: 18650 (will also take an 18490/18500 + the Evolv Kick)
Button: Detonator Style, Solid, Mechanical, Plastic, with a Nice ‘Clicky’ Action
Button Position: Top Button
LED: No
Fixed or Variable: Unregulated 18650
Fit the Kick: Yes = Variable/Regualated Wattage between 5 and 10W
Size: 4.5 inches (113mm) by 1 inch (26mm) at the bottom and 1.4inches (35mm) including the atty connector arm at the ‘top’.
Weight: 120g with an 18490 + Kick
Material: High Grade Aluminium
Threads: Excellent – smoothe action with no lubrication required
Will it Roll: Nope – the atty ‘arm’ stops it!
Standing up: Yes - – not overly stable though
wink.png

On/Off: No – though button hard to fire accidently
Centre Pin Adjustment: Yes – with an Allen Wrench (Key) – US size 10?
Use of Adapters: Work well with the above
Vent Hole: Biggest I’ve seen
lol.gif

Aesthetics: Looks Very Good + choice of 23 colours

How does it Vape?
Firing: 1st time Everytime – 10/10
Vapour Production: Excellent Power to Vape Ratio 9.5/10
vape.gif

How does it Feel: Perfectly Natural in the Hand – Well ‘Balanced’ 10/10
Ease of Change: Easy – especially with the Centre Pin Adjustment 9/10

Overview
Misses:
I would prefer the XL-mini to be more stable when standing – but like the aesthetics as they stand? (Stands maybe available from GLV)

8-12 weeks – although possibly acceptable when thee know what thee want – is a long time to wait on the ‘Off Chance’ i.e. a 1st time buyer – especially if not having actually trid one.

The Looks are somewhat marred by having to use a 510-510 adapter or similar if thee wish to use a tank bigger than 3.5ml – so that it clears the top button.

If thee don’t like ‘Clicky Buttons’ – possibly not

At the Higher end of Price Point for a 3.7v device

Hits:
The ‘Detonator’ Button just screams ‘Push Me!’
wink.png

Feels very ‘Natural’ in the hand

Takes the Kick – and as the top cap unscrews – easy to adjust if/when necessary

Adjustable Centre Pin – OK with an Allen Key – but just carry ut in my ‘Vaping Bits’ pocket in me ‘Man Bag’.

The ‘Miser’ Connection is offset (though lacks Drip Cup) so any Juice avoids going inside the XL-mini – also gives a better ‘Balance Point’ to other ‘Tube Mods’ I’ve tried – and an extra ‘bit’ to use when fishing it out of ones pocket
wink.png

A Great Power to Vape Ratio
good.png

Did I mention that I want to keep clicking the ‘Detonator’ Button?

Usability:
For me the GLV-XL Mini is a great ‘Go To’ APV – because of it’s relative light weight Aluminium, the way it ‘Fits’ my hand etc. – it can be used either at home or out-and-about with no problem. The only situation that I might need to use a different device is ‘Stealth Vaping’ – in which case the GLV2 mini is perfect.

The ‘Miser’ arm actually makes the XL-mini easier to hold, and easier to unscrew, and the Button easy to fire – so should be be good for either Righties or Lefties and for those with Grip or dexterity problems.

I’d give this 9.5/10 for Usability

Summary
OK – I’m a bit of a Fanboy on this – but there are good reasons:

Having tried several APV’s (Advanced Personal Vapourisers) the GLV range fit in my hand the way I want a PV to. It feels like a natural extension for me – and this is a combinaton of size, weight, button and balance which is, in my experience, ‘unique’ to the GLV’s.

With a Kick on board I have my ‘Ideal Vape’ – no matter what ‘Miser’ I use – in the ‘Form’ that I like best.

Would I recommend the XL-Mini – YES – but not without trying one (or at least a GLV) 1st to see if it works fa thee. Some folk can’t stand ‘Clicky’ or Top Buttons etc. – What works so well for me might not for thee – but if thee try it and like it it’ll be thy ‘Vape’ fa Life!

Last edited:

Barefoot

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Xianning, Hubei Province, China
Deliberately been using the XL-Mini with only a Senybor 2800 mAh and the Vision Vivi Nova v2 - and the 2.4 Ohm head works as well as the 2.8 at 6w - vape.gif

So even if the Kick fails - just use a Re-buildable atty - or something like the Vivi Nova - to recreate the experience - and unlike other devices that offer VV 0r VW - Vape On! vape.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread