Getting Something Off My Chest

Status
Not open for further replies.

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Jim - I agree in the intent, but bear in mind, in that same thread you yourself are mentioning, you say 'e-cigs are the best way to quit smoking', yourself.

Is that not indeed still opinion? For some, it may be Chantrix, cold turkey, you name it.

I do agree with moderating comments of 'best thing since sliced bread' to everyone, and simply making it more obvious that these are neatl all simply opinions, and not facts...even down to 'e-cigs are better for you than analogs' at this point. Even gennerally accepted does not mean 'proven fact.'

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2009
    Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
    Jim - I agree in the intent, but bear in mind, in that same thread you yourself are mentioning, you say 'e-cigs are the best way to quit smoking', yourself.

Is that not indeed still opinion? For some, it may be Chantrix, cold turkey, you name it.

I do agree with moderating comments of 'best thing since sliced bread' to everyone, and simply making it more obvious that these are neatl all simply opinions, and not facts...even down to 'e-cigs are better for you than analogs' at this point. Even gennerally accepted does not mean 'proven fact.'

If you check the OP closer, I admitted that I am also guilty. We all have to be careful, and do our best.

pipe6078

ECF Veteran
    May 8, 2009
    texas
    i don't think people need that much protection. if i love a product i want to jump up and down and shout it . fear of being banned or for someone dying is causing way to much hush hush to me. total addict behavior by the way. this is an adult forum and should say use at your own risk unknown science not fda approved. totally false or mean spirited should go or not?

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 1, 2008
    Southern California USA
    www.ecigmall.com
    You also have to realize that most of us are still learning about the e-cig! Can't blame the ignorant!
    I have a few comments about the forum. This is the best place to come to for information, and just chatting with friends. However I noticed a few things that I would like people to think about. Please don't take my comments the wrong way because I am guilty of some of the same things.

Everyone is excited, and proud of their e-cig, and are willing to help others and share their experiences. When helping others, be sure to give complete information, and only facts, as you know them. What is good for you, is not necessarily good for others.

The following are just general examples, and should not be taken as a personal attack.

Some new people state that they have a respiratory condition, and ask if the e-cig is good. Your opinion and experience is GREAT, but please tell them to consult a medical professional before starting. We don't want to be the cause of a terrible accident.

Many people say things like "a manual switch is the best". Try to remember that a newbie with a brand new shiny e-cig, may have difficulty understanding this, and may burn $100.00 worth of atomizers from inexperience.

A favorite of mine is, Get an EVO. I hace two EVO's myself, and like them, but people that recommend them are failing to note that they cannot be used in noisy enviroments because they are sound sensitive. So the newbie buys one and takes it to his job in a saw mill, and finds nothing but problems with it.

Some recommend certain power adaptors for passthroughs, and the newbie buys it, and then finds out there isn't enough power to run it.

These are only a few examples. Lets all be as helpful as possible, but when offering information, we need to give complete information, and make a note if something is unclear. If it's a personal opinion, please say so up front.

As is said earlier, please don't take this the wrong way. Lets do our best to get everyone on board with as few problems as possible.

jd

ApOsTle51

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2008
    UK
    [sarcasm]That's good to know "ApO", I'll be sure to get your seal of approval the next time I want to bold one of my posts.[/sarcasm]

I could care less if you know that I'm a moderator, it's my choice to post however I see fit (so long as it is within the confines of the rules).

This is the second time you have posted in reference to me, "heck even the latest mods are new users..makes me wonder..".

If you have some kind of problem with me, feel free to take it to a PM.

Otherwise, keep it to yourself and get over it.

~Azure
    jeez , you lot really don't have a sense of humour do you..rule with an iron fist aye..fair enuff :confused:

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2009
    You also have to realize that most of us are still learning about the e-cig! Can't blame the ignorant!

Everyone is still learning, but when giving information, let the person know if the subject is hard fact or opinion. Lots of information gets lost in the translation.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2009
    North Yorkshire UK
    Part of the interest and the fun of a forum is in being able to 'talk' to someone .....I felt quite upset when I read post's from 'oldies' complaining that newbies should 'read' the forum instead of keep asking all the questions that have already been answered. I felt like I may as well go away and buy myself a book.

ApOsTle51

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2008
    UK
    Part of the interest and the fun of a forum is in being able to 'talk' to someone .....I felt quite upset when I read post's from 'oldies' complaining that newbies should 'read' the forum instead of keep asking all the questions that have already been answered. I felt like I may as well go away and buy myself a book.
    I'm not saying they shouldn't post pete, heck no , just post in already open and relevant thread rather than start a new one if possible.

keep it like B&Q , keep it all under the same roof as it were.

WiηgC¤mmαηdεя

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 3, 2009
    Dieppe, NB
    Jim Davis has some very valid points, I am guilty myself when talking about e-cigs of being partial to a particular brand (probably since its the only one I have now) ,and perhaps unintentionally not mentioning the drawbacks of a particular model where I have adjusted to that models quirks.
    You have given me something to think over. Thanks

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2009
    North Yorkshire UK
    I'm not saying they shouldn't post pete, heck no , just post in already open and relevant thread rather than start a new one if possible.

keep it like B&Q , keep it all under the same roof as it were.

Yes I agree with that I didn't start any threads myself when I was new, I just joined in and asked a question in any relevant thread to anything I was wanting to know about and there were people already there talking about it.

mamacat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 27, 2009
    WS, NC, USA
    Yes I agree with that I didn't start any threads myself when I was new, I just joined in and asked a question in any relevant thread to anything I was wanting to know about and there were people already there talking about it.

That is me, too. I know that I have no really new questions to add at the moment, as I have found everything I am looking for through the search feature on the forum. But, if I an unable to find it, I have a few UKers I can certainly count on for help........;)

sherid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 25, 2008
    USA
    This is not a quit smoking forum. This is an e cig forum. Therefore, I am offended and put off by posters who tell others that a few cigarettes a day is too much. If the poster decides to quit smoking, he/she will; however, it should be totally up to the poster. IMO, advice about how much to vape and whether or not to continue smoking should only be given when the poster asks for the advice.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2009
    This is not a quit smoking forum. This is an e cig forum. Therefore, I am offended and put off by posters who tell others that a few cigarettes a day is too much. If the poster decides to quit smoking, he/she will; however, it should be totally up to the poster. IMO, advice about how much to vape and whether or not to continue smoking should only be given when the poster asks for the advice.

Good point sherid. I'm guilty of that myself. I won't do that again.

Cheers;
    jd

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread