Ego Recommendation Hating: A recommendee's (sp?) perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stifle

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
San Diego, CA
In the past few days I've seen a number of posts from people that are upset about the generalized newbie recommendation of.. "get an eGo" to all newbies.

While I do understand the logic of people trying to diversify their options to newbies..it seems to have been lost here that the ultimate goal is to recommend something that will help a newbie make a successful transition to vaping.

I am a newbie (bout 3 weeks now) and I bought the Riva 510 as a recommendation from the Newbie Forum. This is my experience...

I couldn't be happier!!!!

I was told that if I had gotten a more analog like PV that I would be juggling batteries and I wanted no part of it. I was told the Riva would mean considerably less battery charging and that seems to be 100% correct. I was also told that the 510 parts are readily available and that also seems to be true. I was told big mods would likely be too unfamiliar to help me kick the habit at places like work/in the car/ when i'm out, this is probably true as well. If I had to carry around a big mod and/or invest $200 in something just to get started I would have been much less likely to consider PVs as an option..

Most importantly, I was told that the eGo/Riva was a solid PV to start out with and it would give me a nice simple answer to a complicated question.."what is the best first time PV?" I wanted something that would help me stop smoking...as of today I am 8/9 days without a cigarette. Obviously, that is the most important thing to myself and many newbies and the eGo is a good recommendation for that goal.

I understand voicing alternative opinions and I have no doubt that there are viable and great options available. But, being upset because people recommended an eGo seems crazy..

I got that recommendation and I am so glad I did. I am now looking at DIY and mods and every other thing imaginable; but, the eGo is what started me down the path and most important cleared the clutter of information and GOT ME TO STOP SMOKING!!

Just thought it might be good to have the opinion of someone who got the recommendation personally, as the argument now seems to be focused so much more on the recommender and not the person it is meant to help.

It helped me, so I'll recommend it!

jplanet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
NJ
I heartily agree. If it wasn't for the eGo, I couldn't possibly have handled the barrage of information necessary to make a decision on something more advanced.

It is easy for many who are privy to the finer points of vaping to forget what a confusing underworld this is to someone who is new to the game. The eGo answers the concerns of someone who is just starting out. It's inexpensive, offers long battery life, is 510/306 compatible, so there are a variety of atomizers, cartomizers, mega, LR options, and now the tank option. There are bigger batteries for it, pass-throughs - it's easy and inexpensive to experiment with all of the different ways to vape, not to mention that it looks cool and is a low-profile design.

Perhaps the upper echelons of vaping snobbery think that everyone should start with a $200 bottom feeder with a 6-week delivery date, and that they should instantly be in tune with variable voltage/resistance combinations, MAP tanks and drip tips.

Tell you what, the burden of reaching the beginner's market is on the manufacturers and sellers. The vast majority of sites present these products in such a way that only a very experienced vaper would know how to decipher it. If I send my grandma to go buy a Provari or Ali'i, do you think she can tell by the product descriptions on those websites what the hell she would be buying?

That's like expecting a first-time computer user to avoid Macs and Windows and start by compiling their own custom build of Linux with an overclocked CPU and RAM.

I'm grateful for my eGo - I embraced the geeky aspect of this whole thing quickly and ordered a mod within a few weeks of vaping - but I admit that I am a geek, so I live for this kind of fun stuff. I learned about what the possibilities were through using the eGo - even when I get my box mod in a few weeks, I am still getting reliable vapor and performance out of it - I see no reason that I would not continue using it, especially in environments where whipping out a box mod would draw a lot of unwanted attention.

It's absolutely helpful to have a common starting ground for newcomers - they can take some comfort that others at their level of experience are having success with it, and it reduced the number of variables when troubleshooting. And there are a lot of things that can go wrong with the simplest equipment. Atties get clogged, don't work right when run too dry, too wet, too hot, or too long. Maintaining and cleaning, rotating batteries on chargers - there's a lot to absorb even at the simplest level. It's our drive to quit smoking that keeps us plowing ahead to make the experience better and less frustrating - otherwise, it's just too much to handle all at once.

Last edited:

frequentj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
I also think the ego is a great starter vape. I've been using mine for a month now, and I love it. It's available at pretty much all the vendor sites, easy to use, versatile, and has a great battery life. I know the hands on experience I've had with my ego has helped me understand things like how voltage and ohms affect the vape. I'm now looking to upgrade to an adjustable voltage and probably a MAP tank, but I have no qualms whatsoever recommending the ego to anyone starting out.

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Stifle, I whole heartedly agree. The Ego was my first vape and I am still using it. I stopped smoking the first day with it. It is reasonably priced, easy to use, reliable, and versatile. It can be dripped, atomized, or cartomized.

I have since purchased a Rough Stack, but to me it is not as satisfying as the Ego, and believe it or not, does not seem to have as long a battery life. I still use it sometimes, but my main vapes are Egos and Rivas.

I say "Thank you" to all those on ECF who recommended the Ego back when I was a lost newbie.

Now, hmmm, let me look at those Ego T-tanks.

Last edited:

Sathane

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
Belleville, Ontario, Canada
People are seriously getting upset over other people's recommendations/preferences?

I started 4 days ago with an eGo and also purchased the eGo-T atomizer at the same time. After reading through many of these threads about refilling carts and all the other maintenance stuff involved I am so glad I have my eGo. I am looking for other vape sticks, just to try something new, but I don't think it really matters what a newbie chooses to use - the important thing is that they are taking a step in the right direction for a healthier, and extended, life.

I can say this though; If I had gotten into this even a year ago and had to constantly play with syringes, get covered in juices, or clean/replace parts constantly - I probably would not have made the jump.

Beez

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
I did not know that there was any controversy, but I began with the eGo also (my husband also) and have been very pleased! It fits our needs perfectly. We bought extra batts to be very sure we were covered, but the batt charge lasts so long that the extras were overkill. I carry an extra to work just in case, but in my first two weeks vaping I have not needed to use it. Plus, I think that it is a good thing that it does not feel or look like an analog for many reasons including that the difference will make it easier to put the pv down when the time comes (helps break part of the habit, the feel/look aspect from the start).

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I started on the 510, and couldn't competely quit cigarettes until I ordered an extra starter set which was only two days after I got my 510. They were still high maintenance, and all that was relieved when I bought my eGo. I do recommend either the eGo or the Riva for most newbs now -- seems like it's less stress and actually less expensive.

BTW, hello and welcome San Diego neighbor, Stifle.

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
I bought a Riva 510 when I started a month ago. This was because a ton of people recommended it for all the reasons mentioned above.

I will ALWAYS recommend a Riva to anyone just starting to vape or on the fence!

1) It costs $30 for a kit, pus a few bucks more for some juice
2) It is extremely easy to use, reliable and works very well
3) It kept me from going back to smoking

There are some people that NEED more TH. That's fine to each their own. Recommending some crazy VV mod or Higher voltage mod to a newbie generally scares them. If someone had told me that if I wanted to vape for real, I should go buy a VV, Juice box, Life Changing mod for $100 or more, I would have said F it, and went back to smoking.

What is needed for people new to this is something easy, something simple, and something cheap.

I looked at it like this: $30-$40 gamble on an e-cig is nothing. It's the same cost for me to smoke for 4 days. That gamble paid off.
I did pay $30 for a npro clone from a mini-mart before I found ECF, that although wasn't great, got me through until I had my Riva.

The eGo style PV is agoos starting point You may quickly find you enjoy higher voltage, low resistance, feeders, tanks, lions, tigers and bears OH MY! The vast majority of people will never discover that if they don't take an important first, and inexpensive step. A lot of people find, eGo is just fine for them, and keep going with it.

I could see if your friend let you try their mod and you loved it, you would likely spend the big bucks off the bat and get it. Most of us don't know if we would even like vaping, so the low initial investment is great.

Last edited:

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
When I started vaping I knew it was my last ditch chance to get off cigs. I also knew that it was infinitely confusing to pick a good model. So, I went with the multiple, multiple recommendations for an eGo that I kept reading here. It was a perfect fit for me and got me off analogs completely. I, for one, am GLAD that it is so resoundingly endorsed here. It made it very easy as a newbie to buy a model that delivers consistently. If I had started with a lesser model from the mall or gas station, with limited battery life, I would have gone back to analogs just out of frustration.

bjannr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
I stopped smoking using 510 manual batteries and a PCC. Then I found the Ego/Riva. I have a PCC for them also. Then the mods. However the person who started me vaping is still very happy using a 510. Together, the two of us converted two other people at work. One bought a 510 starter kit, and the other person bought two of my Ego batteries and charger. I think it is whatever you feel comfortable using, and have the finances to purchase. I got into bottom feed mods because of the things I do, I can't always safely drip, and I do not care for cartridges, or cartomizers. I not only vape for the nicotine, but for the flavors available.

Danger Bunny

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Los Angeles, SFV, CA.
I'm a noobie of one month and I have to agree that the eGo is the best recommendation for a new vapor. It's not a one size fits all but it is a one size fits most, at least to start with. I started with a Kr8, which I still love. But the frequent battery changing was just to much so I got an eGo. I was buying for two, hubby and myself, so it was important to find something that would satisfy both of us enough to get us off analogs and the eGo with a cartomizer does that for us. We've laid out $400+ dollars in one month. I could have saved half of that if I had purchased the eGo in the beginning.

The bottom line is that the eGo is generally the best thing going right now for someone new to vaping. I will still always recommend the eGo to start with and the Kr8 (with a warning about the frequent battery charging) if the new person insists they need something more analog sized. After that it's up to them.:vapor:

Scooter70

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Hershey,Pennsylvania
I purchased my E-go because my co-worker recommended it as a very good unit and he has been vaping since September.This was all before I found this forum,and after reading a ton of recommendations on here, I realized I made a great choice.I love the battery life and the fact that it does not resemble an analog...Most importantly it allowed me to quit analogs,which gum,nicotine patches and cold turkey couldn't do. I will probably look into something a little better in the future,but for now It "works" well for me.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
I will normally recommend a Riva, eGo or KR808 depending on what the person is looking for and how much they smoke per day. I rarely, if ever, recommend a mod to a new user because I regard mods as geared toward the more advanced user and they're generally more expensive. I don't assume that the new persons interest in vaping means they'll like vaping or that they'll even be successful, so I don't see why they should be convinced to throw potentially hundreds of dollars at something they may not like or ultimately even want.

BiffRocko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
On the forums, I'll almost always recommend a Riva (or an eGo, but the cheaper price and bigger battery make the Riva my #1 suggestion). I tend to steer real life friends towards a 3.7v box mod though. The extra 0.5v makes a big difference, and the non-proprietary battery is much cheaper to replace. Plus, it's just as easy to use as an eGo. Either way, these two options seem to me to be the best balance between ease of use and performance for a new vaper.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
The nice thing about Riva/eGo is that no matter what you end up getting into they are versatile and low cost. I run VV Mods and still use my eGo batts. They are great for traveling and when whipping out a MOD just won't cut it. For travel they will drive LR atty's, cartos etc and produce nice vapor and have an acceptable batt life. In the event that something happens it is much easier to part with two or three eGo/Riva batts than it is with say a ProVari. Anyway whatever works to get people off smoking and into vaping is cool by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread