General Wasn't-a-Smoker-Before-Vaping Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
Since we can't have a forum yet, I vote we discuss things here for the time being. :)

For starters, if you go to the bar above this and click "Thread Tools" and then "Subscribe to this Thread", you can set it up to be like an email newsletter. I would recommend choosing Instant or Daily Email Notification, but if you're on ECF a LOT and actually check your subscriptions, the "Subscribe through Control Panel Only" option might be good. I would definitely recommend subscribing! That way you can find out when (if ever) we get our own forum/group!

This thread is only for people who are currently, previously, or potentially vapers who have either never smoked/used tobacco or else only used tobacco very occasionally. Friendly, supportive people who did smoke analogs before vaping are welcome to post too, but this thread is NOT for debating whether it's okay for non-smokers to vape. Chances are we're all vapers here now, so no sense splitting hairs. :)

Okay, so some discussion topics:

-Have you ever smoked an analog before? Done hookah? Other?
-Do you like "throat hit", as a non-smoker?
-What juices and nic levels do you prefer?
-What set-up do you think is perfect for a non-smoker, in terms of hardware?
-How does your family or friend group react to your vaping? Do they know? Care?
-How often do you vape?
-Have you actually gotten addicted to nicotine, if you vape nic juices?
-Do you vape in front of kids (yours or otherwise)?
-Why did you start vaping?

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
Nope. Never done any of this, though I really want to try hookah some day.

Haaaaaate throat hit. I do everything in my power to avoid it!

I pretty much only do organic juices. I end up vaping 6-12mg most of the time. So far I adore Virgin Vapor's chai tea latte, but I haven't had much chance to try others. I can only vape VG, apparently.

It took me a while to find the right thing for me, but at the moment I think clearomizers (or lite-o-mizers!) with a 510 mega batt is just about perfect for me. I wanted a pretty pen-style from the start, and while 801/302 wasn't quite right for me, the 510 mega batts and clearos are gorgeous and exactly my style.

My brother doesn't seem to care. Girlfriend and friends have pretty much been unanimously supportive. Rest of the family has no idea.

-How often do you vape?
Apparently not that often. I feel like I vape all the time, but it works out to be 3-5 times a day for maybe half an hour at a time, and it takes me literally over a week to empty a filled 1.8ml clearo. O_O I got some Hello 016 1300 mAh batts 2-3 weeks ago and am still using the same one on the same charge! It was my only vape during that whole time, too.

Despite my best efforts ( :laugh: ), nope. Even when I vape 12mg exclusively for a week at a time, I don't really have cravings. I do count myself lucky in this regard, because I have trouble getting addicted to anything but video games! I'm not sure if it's harder to get addicted to nicotine when it's in vapor vs smoke, or if I'm more immune to it than the average joe (just like I have trouble getting addicted to caffeine, alcohol, the super strong pain meds I'm on... pretty much everything addictive I've tried), but either way I don't seem to be getting "hooked" on nicotine. Suck on that, FDA!

I try not to. I don't have to vape all that often anyways (see the question above) so it's not usually a big deal to wait until the kids aren't around me. I don't live with kids so that probably helps. I figure that not vaping is better than vaping, so even though I'd rather have kids vape than smoke, I don't see any point in exposing them to either if I can avoid it.

I've already mentioned this a few times, but I had really bad depression and attention problems. My psych at the time didn't believe in ADD (hence why I don't have any "official" diagnosis) and the only drug that halfway worked for me... well, it only halfway worked. :p I'm a researching kind of person, so I did a few hours of research for my problems and eventually found some clinical trials about nicotine. I also discovered it helped or prevented a lot of other problems that I have: epilepsy, immune system disorder, chronic arthritis-type pain, asthma, mild OCD symptoms (I have a lot of psych and neurological problems due to a head injury when I was younger), and slight overweightness, to name a few!

It even helps things I'm just at a really high risk for: Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, even breast cancer. :D

Last edited:

LibertyValance

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Tampa, FL
Have you ever smoked an analog before? Done hookah? Other?

I used to smoke, but quit 20 years ago. However since then I have been an occasional smoker, typically a couple cigarettes a month.

Dont really care.

Halo Malibu 6mg nic.

The 510. Since battery life is not an issue for a light vaper, it is a perfect device.

I showed it to my wife who smokes about 1 cigarette a month and she immediately took to it like white on rice.

-How often do you vape?

A couple times a day

No.

Not so far.

I was worried that even a couple cigarettes a month might kill me.

dopamine

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks for starting this, stillalive!

maybe one or two puffs of an analog- I had never inhaled though- too cough-y and painful. I still don't get how people can get past that initial pain and nastiness of burning smoke! I've done hookah a few times and will whenever I get the chance- it's really smooth and tastes and smells lovely. Plus it's fun in social settings.

No. I received a 24mg strength sample in the mail (with my other 0mg nic juices_ you'd think they wouldn't include powerful samples in orders of only 0mg!) and tried one drop- the throat hit was startling and painful and I disliked it very much. I will not use this again. I do like the warmth of the vapor hitting my throat with 0mg juice, but not that stinging that happens with more powerful juice.

I like most juices I've tried- I love a variety of flavors as I get bored with just one. All of my juices are 0mg, but I also have a
6mg sample I received with an order and will occasionally use that. I don't feel anything different from the 0mg with that. Same with 8mg. The one time I tried the 24mg, like I said, it was too harsh and I will not use it again.

depends on what you do it for! I'm in it for flavor and feel and couldn't care less what it looks like, so I use an eGo and Cisco LR atty and drip.

I don't really vape around anyone. My friends think it's amusing, I guess. My husband dislikes it so I don't vape around him, but he knows I do it.

-How often do you vape?
Maybe 1 to 2 hours a day, but not every day. 5 times a week I'd say.

no. can't tell when I smoke 0mg vs. 6-8mg.

I would not. I do vape in front of my dog and she haaaaates it!

they smelled really great and I like experiencing smells / flavors and doing things with my hands.

Last edited:

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
File me in the friendly supportive former smoker bracket. I just wanted to comment because of your hookah question. Me and my brother were both occasional hookah smokers, and we both think the hookah is the absolute closest analog you can find to a PV. So much so that we've been known to call them our electric hookahs. :) Lots of interesting non standard tobacco flavors, warmish but not hot smoke, long slow draw. Of course, if you have a good vape around, there's not much reason to fire up a hookah, unless you just want to hear it gurgle. If anyone decides to try one, and I'm not saying you shouldn't, please keep in mind that they are linked to most of the same health risks as smoking.

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
haha, I love it!!! I think I might start calling my PV an electric hookah. ;) My eventual goal is to have a very steampunk-themed E-cig (long copper battery, lots of purple LEDs) and I think calling it an electric hookah sounds so much more steampunk than an electronic cigarette. :laugh: I never started this to look cool, but I'm a big believer in putting my style on everything I have to use on a daily basis! A lot of my walking aids have been modded out to look neat, so no reason my PV can't look neat too, right?

I do realize that a hookah is going to have similar health risks to smoking (though I have to believe that cutting out all the toxic chemicals is going to cut down on some of them!), but I figure doing it occasionally wouldn't hurt me. My former roomie loved hookah when she did it on occasion, and I love vaping, so as a social thing I think I would enjoy it as well. Definitely loving my PV, though.

As previously mentioned, I'm not addicted so far. However, it makes me function so well that I wouldn't be upset over a dependency, truthfully. :) I'm a much more pleasant person to be around when stressful things happen, I have more energy, and I enjoy life a helluva lot more. That's an addiction I think few people could complain about, hehe.

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
Wow, this is interesting. I've never read of any non-smokers who took up vaping. I've only come accross people who vape because they don't want to smoke. Though I can see the draw, of course.

A few people have said that some day ecigs will be the new analogs, and analogs will basically be the new ..... :laugh: Obviously we're not there yet, but I've always been a little bit anachronistic like that. ;)

In the meantime, I'm getting some great health benefits. My resting heartrate has dropped 10-20 bpm (I frequently have too-high heartrates and too-low BP readings) and I'm only having mild, infrequent headaches as a side effect.

dopamine

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2011
Austin, TX
I inhale in so many ways- since I'm doing this more for fun / interesting experience than anything else, I get bored with a single way :)

I loooooove doing french inhales- I do that most often, by far. Sometimes I will do that open mouth vape to get in fresh air, too. Sometimes I won't inhale at all and just suck it into my mouth, "swish" it around, and exhale (great for smoke rings + flavor!) With my LR atty, I do hard short drags, and with my regular carto I do shorter softer drags.

I'm excited to order some VV juice!

I did it last night with some friends- they get a kick out of it, especially some of my more wacky flavors. But I don't ever feel the "need" to do it; it's just entertainment. Other than last night, maybe 5 drags, I haven't done it in a few days cuz I just haven't felt like it. But I like knowing the option is available if that's what I want to experience.

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
So, since we didn't really replace a smoking habit, have any of you replaced another bad habit?

I think vaping helps a little with eating out of boredom, though I have to say sometimes just putting something in my mouth and getting the flavor of the vapor makes me hungry!

Besides that, I noticed I've really cut back on chewing on pens and biting my nails. I also tend to bite the skin off my lips and use my tongue to play with my mouth, and I didn't even realize how much I did it until I started vaping and stopped doing it!

kalvinf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Hamilton Canada
calling it an electric hookah sounds so much more steampunk than an electronic cigarette. :laugh: I never started this to look cool, but I'm a big believer in putting my style on everything I have to use on a daily basis! A lot of my walking aids have been modded out to look neat, so no reason my PV can't look neat too, right?

The steampunk mod would be great - come up with designs and then work out how make this.

dopamine

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2011
Austin, TX
I have an annoying habit of picking at the skin around my fingers / cuticles. I've done it for at least 28 years. I've tried to stop many times and have never been able to. But I decided a couple of days ago to give it another go, and haven't been picking! It can't have to do with nicotine as I haven't smoked practically any nicotine in the past week or so, so maybe it's just the vaping (though I haven't vaped for the past 2 days- maybe it's just knowing I have some alternative?).

<3 this thread!

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
hehe, I remembered another hand-to-mouth thing I used to be obsessed with as a kid/teenager/young adult: bubbles! I had a serious bubble habit going for a looong time. I find vaping is pretty similar, though a lot less sticky and a lot nicer smelling. ;)

I think the breathing control aspect of smoking/vaping/blowing bubbles might be a more powerful relaxer than we realize. It's not just the hand-to-mouth thing or the nicotine... when I meditate I focus on my breathing, and when I vape or blow bubbles I focus on my breathing as well. Not sure if that's been studied or not! Obviously it's not JUST about the breathing, but it would be interesting to see how that applies to others....

burgblu

Verified Member
Jun 18, 2011
massachusetts
Hello, I'm glad I found this thread. i thought I was the only one that didn't smoke analogs.
-Have you ever smoked an analog before? Done hookah? Other?Yes I smoked for 20yrs. quit 20yrs ago. I tried a hooka 10yrs ago at a party. liked the taste.
-Do you like "throat hit", as a non-smoker?Haven't noticed any throat hit.
-What juices and nic levels do you prefer? I only like the fruit flavors so far. Hated the tobacco flavors. Only use 0mg. Plan on trying other flavors.
-What set-up do you think is perfect for a non-smoker, in terms of hardware?Don't know. Just started with a safecig. tastes gross. weird plasticy taste. Sending it back as soon as the volt I ordered gets here. Refilled empty cartomizers with juice from freedomsmokeusa. No more plasticy taste.
-How does your family or friend group react to your vaping? Do they know? Care?My daughter thinks it's great. No one else knows.
-How often do you vape?4-5 times a day for 10-15 minutes.
-Have you actually gotten addicted to nicotine, if you vape nic juices?Only 0mg nic juice
-Do you vape in front of kids (yours or otherwise)?Yes my kid ;) but she is an adult.
-Why did you start vaping? To help me stop smoking for a work test. Got in trouble for my first post asking if anyone knew if it would help. Got a quick answer of yes and then a mod blocked it.And yes it has helped a lot.,

newplague

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2010
Oregon
Friendly ex-smoker here. My wife was an occasional clove smoker who now vapes 0mg. She started out with the 510 mega batteries and has moved on to an Ali'i. It is a little big for her hand but she likes the super long battery life and the 6ml bottle. I'll have her check in on this thread when she gets back in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread