Do insurance companies consider vapers non-smokers/non-tobacco users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
A question I have been considering lately. We all know that a life insurance companies charge a tobacco user more for a policy. If vapers are considered non-smokers, then the more people who switch from smoking to vaping would mean less money for these insurance companies. Just curious to see if any of you people out there with insurance policy tried to switch your policy to non-smoker one after to switched to vaping and if you did so successfully. Thanks.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
They will, well at least "The Good Hands" people do, give you a blood test checking for nicotine if you claim to be a non smoker.

Many people are just laying off the nic until after the test. For a urine test I think you can get it out of your system in four days. Blood takes longer IIRC.

pls0138

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
New Jersey
A good amount of people vape liquids with no nicotine as well, so how would this work for them? Also, if the urine test thing that flamingotutu mentioned is true, even if you do use liquids nicotine, you can say that you use the non-nicotine stuff, clean your system out and be good.
I feel like if they haven't already, insurance companies will eventually find a way to charge vapers more, even if it is a little less than tobacco users. They could probably get away with it and from their prospective its extra money to be made, so why wouldn't they?

Still would like to know if anyone here has had any direct experience with this, kind of surprised there isn't more information or discussions out there about it already. Probably the main reason for this is because the verdict is still out on the long term side effects and/or harmfulness of vaping.

Last edited:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
A good amount of people vape liquids with no nicotine as well, so how would this work for them? Also, if the urine test thing that flamingotutu mentioned is true, even if you do use liquids nicotine, you can say that you use the non-nicotine stuff, clean your system out and be good.
I feel like if they haven't already, insurance companies will eventually find a way to charge vapers more, even if it is a little less than tobacco users. They could probably get away with it and from their prospective its extra money to be made, so why wouldn't they?

Still would like to know if anyone here has had any direct experience with this, kind of surprised there isn't more information or discussions out there about it already. Probably the main reason for this is because the verdict is still out on the long term side effects and/or harmfulness of vaping.

Here are some other threads

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...sion/616584-feeling-discrimination-today.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...500637-add-me-list-those-getting-screwed.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-vaping-discussion/584168-help-passing-nic-test.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...rgent-help-needed-nicotine-cotinine-test.html

State Farm still charged me the rate for smokers. The agent made some calls to the home office but everyone was at a loss, so it was determined that because the blood test done for the life insurance policy showed nicotine use I was considered a smoker. I felt bad being put in the smokers catagory, I worked really hard to quit smoking and was proud to check nonsmoker on the form.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
There's been many threads here on ECF through the years on the subject. Most insurance companies consider vaping the same as smoking cigarettes although there have been a few reported exceptions. The test they all most often use will find your use of nicotine in vaping that same as found when smoking cigarettes.

Vaping without nicotine makes me a non-smoker in the eyes of insurance companies since no nicotine/tobacco is going to show up in any test they would run on me.

Alto101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2012
North Carolina
I just spoke with a rep from DomoInsurance.com and they are saying that Prudential will put e-cigarette users into a lower risk rate class than cigarette users. He described it as about half of the cost compared to current smokers. They are advertising this on Facebook and other places which is how I saw the ad. I am going to check out all of the details but this looks fair. I can admit to vaping with nicotine and pay only a slightly elevated premium compared to a never smoker. I will ask him if it is okay to post his contact info in case anyone else is curious.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Rates are determined by complex actuarial tables. Nicotine use is an added risk, so those who use it pay more with some insurance companies. The insurance company I have only considers smokers and those who chew to be tobacco users, but every insurance company is different, even the same insurance company in a different state has different policies. I do know many will test before paying out certain claims...

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I can relate only my own experience. My wife's work carries our life insurance policy. A week or two ago was the renewal date. When she sat down with the agent he asked if I smoked. She said not for almost 3 years. He uses one of those ecig thingies. He told her that it is not smoking then. I am now listed as a non smoker on our life insurance policy.

One has to realize how life insurance is checked. Seek out other companies or call a life insurance broker who will then pit each insurance agency against each other for you. Of course if you are receiving as a work benefit then you do not have a choice. You have to use their agent.

BLUwazoo

Sep 9, 2014
Indianapolis
Here's an easy fix to this. All we have to do is start to develop a list of insurance companies that do NOT consider you a smoker if you vape and distribute it widely. If enough people switch, they would have to change their policies or lose business. It puts us on the offense and them on the defense. Or, we can just keep .....in' about them cheating us.

samturdo

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2014
keyes, ca, usa
i was reading a life insurance policy regarding smoking, they state any nicotine use including smoking cessation products will classified as a smoker............idiotic

so i guess you can smoke patches and gum now? i didnt know that, maybe ill try that one day when i get a super strong nic craving :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread