FDA Game changer? - "Relax ... it's a ___ NJOY!" (NJOY to make a non-cigAlike/advanced system with a tank?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Not for the first time, you're basing your entire premise on an unfounded (and thus intrinsically flawed) assumption, e.g. that every vaper either 1) uses cigalikes only, or 2) uses APVs only, and that there's no overlap between the two groups. As one who uses both on a daily basis, I and everyone like me (and I can't imagine I'm an isolated case) would be useless for the purposes of such a study.

You're desperately trying to create a false distinction where no distinction needs to be made, and it's beyond me what you think the point is of doing so.

The tobacco Act (FSPTCA) refers to [specific] products and requires that they be certified based on whether they are appropriate for the protection of the public health.

And that's how this thread got started. The question is whether an advanced system has a better chance of passing this test, if made by a manufacturer who has tens of millions to throw at the approval process.

It would be nice if the FDA could just give a blanket approval to vaping. That's not how the law works.

So I am not "desperately" trying to do anything, by making a "false distinction".

I suggest that you blame Congress instead.

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
Nate -- You're not..I have 3 personal friends that use both Blu and eGos. Have been for several months. They're happy with those ones.

In my case:

For vapers I've seen/met in the wild, they're always using eGo-types & sometimes even APVs -- never a cigalike

For people I've met in the wild who tried cigalikes & didn't advance up the vape ladder, they always give it up & go back to smoking...

With NJOY & other companies putting out more eGo-types these days in retail locations, alongside cigalikes, I'd say that eventually the 2nd group will give it another shot with these "new" products.. They'll look at the eGo-types, sitting next to the cigalikes (which they didn't like), eyes going back & forth comparing the two, perhaps knowing some others who are trying them & liking them more, will put the connection together, and go for it, themselves..

If it sticks (and I think in many cases it will, as I found a much more positive difference between cigalikes & eGo-types), then NJOY & others with similar products are off to the races.. Putting more money in their pockets (to fight the FDA) -- and less money in BT's pockets (both in terms of traditional cigs & their cigalikes)...

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
In my case:

For vapers I've seen/met in the wild, they're always using eGo-types & sometimes even APVs -- never a cigalike

For people I've met in the wild who tried cigalikes & didn't advance up the vape ladder, they always give it up & go back to smoking...

With NJOY & other companies putting out more eGo-types these days in retail locations, alongside cigalikes, I'd say that eventually the 2nd group will give it another shot with these "new" products.. They'll look at the eGo-types, sitting next to the cigalikes (which they didn't like), eyes going back & forth comparing the two, perhaps knowing some others who are trying them & liking them more, will put the connection together, and go for it, themselves..

If it sticks (and I think in many cases it will, as I found a much more positive difference between cigalikes & eGo-types), then NJOY & others with similar products are off to the races.. Putting more money in their pockets (to fight the FDA) -- and less money in BT's pockets (both in terms of traditional cigs & their cigalikes)...

Yeah Gato -- That makes a lot of sense. The one friend (using the Blu)said he was ready to get something better. Idk what he plans on getting I told him he should try one of the cheaper iTastes. Pretty good for the money and easy to use.

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
You must hang out in different parts of the wild than I do, because this isn't my experience at all.

That's the difficulty. None of us are probably referring to more than 10 or twenty people, if that, and there are a lot of variables - age, socio-ec status, subculture... this is all pretty flimsy either way, IMHO.

Last edited:

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
That's the difficulty. None of us are probably referring to more than 10 or twenty people, if that, and there are a lot of variables - age, socio-ec status, subculture... this is all pretty flimsy either way, IMHO.

It is pretty flimsy, as things always tend to be that are informed primarily by personal anecdotes and individual tastes/preferences. It's a great recipe for confirmation bias.

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
You must hang out in different parts of the wild than I do, because this isn't my experience at all.

It's why I had prefaced it with "In my case:"

I'm sure there are others who observe the same as I do, just as there are others who observe the same as you do..

Heck, I'm sure there's also some middle ground -- and even areas where any sort of e-cigs/vaping is pretty much non-existent...

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Human nature, Nate. You know what they say here in California--anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, anyone driving faster than you is a maniac. :D Just read any of the numerous ProVari threads. ;)

I started with Green Smoke, found ECF and quickly moved "up" to V4L. Most of us here in this thread are V4L alumni. Eleanor, Aubergine, Kent--we all met there, years ago. We had a blast quitting smoking and exchanging tips and complaints. I still have a couple of working V4L batteries, and SmokeStik batteries.

BTW, you don't have to buy GS cartos if you don't like their flavors--you can buy blank kr808D-2 cartomizers and fill them with your Halo juices. It's cheaper! I actually liked GS tobacco and mint...

I use my eGos when I'm driving.

Whatever works!
I REALLY liked Green Smokes tobacco flavors as well! I got frustrated, when I started getting a bad run of cartos and batteries from them! I felt like they had some quality control problems for a while. I can actually thank them for aiding in quitting smoking and also moving on to a better "set-up", as it was an unfortunate benefit, leaving me the desire to find something a tad better!

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
It is pretty flimsy, as things always tend to be that are informed primarily by personal anecdotes and individual tastes/preferences. It's a great recipe for confirmation bias.

True. And let me apologize again for my blanket generalizations about cigAlikes.

I'd also urge you (and everyone) to take a second look at the points that I made in #156.

If a cessation alternative is more expensive and/or harder to obtain, this is more likely to be sought out by those smokers who are more committed to the goal of quitting.

Even if vaping didn't exist, that would be relevant to nic inhalers vs. OTC (since nic. inhalers require a prescription).

My goal in #156 was to try to look at this from the point of view of population studies that might be relevant to FDA approval under the law.

Personal experience, ancectdotes, and so forth are all interesting.

What I was trying to say is that there may also be "bias" in any population study, which is inherent because of the fact that cigAlikes are less expensive, less well-known as cessation options, and more actively advertised.

And if we were arguing about nic inhalers vs. the patch and the gum, the very same points would apply.

We all have our own personal experiences, and come from different places. But at the end of the day, this decision made by the FDA and/or the courts is going to have a huge impact on the future of vaping and the ability of other smokers to quit.

It seems that this thread has become construed as a "war on cigAlikes" .. which was never my point to begin with. CigAlikes rock, and those who use them as a method for quitting or cutting down also rock.

I LOVE cigAlikes. Because we all wouldn't be talking about this, if it weren't for them, and the smokers who have quit, or cut down, because of them.

The question is ... which way forward?

Last edited:

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
If a cessation alternative is more expensive and/or harder to obtain, this is more likely to be sought out by those smokers who are more committed to the goal of quitting.

When we say "more expensive," are we talking about the initial price point, the ongoing refill costs, or a combination of both? It seems to me that a run-of-the-mill cigalike starter kit and a run-of-the-mill second generation PV cost about the same (40-60 bucks or thereabouts), but the refill costs for the PV are vastly less. When I was exclusively using cigalikes, I spent at least 15 bucks a week on cartos. Now that I primarily use a PV, I spend about 15 bucks a month on liquid.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
When we say "more expensive," are we talking about the initial price point, the ongoing refill costs, or a combination of both? It seems to me that a run-of-the-mill cigalike starter kit and a run-of-the-mill second generation PV cost about the same (40-60 bucks or thereabouts), but the refill costs for the PV are vastly less. When I was exclusively using cigalikes, I spent at least 15 bucks a week on cartos. Now that I primarily use a PV, I spend about 15 bucks a month on liquid.

Well, context is important - so the context of my original discussion (#156) was the bias inherent in both population studies and anectdotal recollections.

So I'd say that the "entry point" price is more pertinent, than the ongoing costs.

However, if we're talking about the types of longitudinal studies that will be required under the tobacco act, it's possible that these will settle out. Right now, the "research" (if one can call it that) is focused on "ever-users," so there's a huge problem right there.

I'm glad I don't have to deal w/ what you folks do in CA, I can't imagine what you're going through out there ... *sigh* ... not fun :( :mad:

Last edited:

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I'm glad I don't have to deal w/ what you folks do in CA, I can't imagine what you're going through out there ... *sigh* ... not fun :( :mad:

It's just par for the course, really. Our legislature only passes bills that accomplish the following three goals simultaneously: 1) Placing onerous and unnecessary burdens on law-abiding citizens, 2) Driving as many businesses out of the state as humanly possible, 3) Creating a whole new set of problems in an effort to solve a different problem that never existed in the first place.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
It's just par for the course, really. Our legislature only passes bills that accomplish the following three goals simultaneously: 1) Placing onerous and unnecessary burdens on law-abiding citizens, 2) Driving as many businesses out of the state as humanly possible, 3) Creating a whole new set of problems in an effort to solve a different problem that never existed in the first place.

That really sucks. But you Californians are an example to all vapers around the world. :thumbs:

You have fought the good fight, and are probably going to win. Woo hoo!! :D :D :D

tombaker

Moved On
Oct 21, 2013
The Tobacco Act (FSPTCA) refers to [specific] products and requires that they be certified based on whether they are appropriate for the protection of the public health.

Would like to see you cite exactly what you are refering to. I have not read anywhere that the certification is based on the protection of health, the way that you are stating it. I have read sections only, that approval should not occur if the outcome is negative to public health. It is different. So what is the exact language using from the Regs?

It would be nice if the FDA could just give a blanket approval to vaping. That's not how the law works.
Its unclear if you understand how the law works. To explore.
1. All E-Cigs have E-Liquid.
2. After the first E-Cig is approved.

What would be the reasons, to deny other E-Cigs? Reasons as meaning, how could they, and what would that rest on.

I am trying to be specific for you

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I REALLY liked Green Smokes tobacco flavors as well! I got frustrated, when I started getting a bad run of cartos and batteries from them! I felt like they had some quality control problems for a while. I can actually thank them for aiding in quitting smoking and also moving on to a better "set-up", as it was an unfortunate benefit, leaving me the desire to find something a tad better!

I've tried and liked Green Smokes flavors. And been frustrated by cartos before.

I started with, I think, Century's disposable brand from convenient store after taking about 3 puffs while out disc golfing and meeting up with a guy I didn't know, but was very friendly/cool. I bought probably 8 of the Century ones, giving 3 of those away to a friend who happened to get into vaping about a week after me (because of me). Those Century disposables, on hindsight, are easy to now say they were bad. But at the time, compared with 'average smoke' they were adequate to good. And just the first experience of a) getting nicotine via act like smoking and b) it being vapor / new / magical was enough for me. Nowadays, I often downplay the Century cigalike because I've been with V2 for so long, and consider it so much better, that it is easy to forget what actually got me started.

While there's a really long version of my history with vaping and a shorter one, I would note that V2 works for me on many levels, even while I feel well aware that there are very likely better devices around. At one point, I met a person online who was sending me free stuff (including bigger devices) that I had so much I was literally not sure what to do with it. Tried the bigger devices (two I think, don't recall brand names) and found them clunky, awkward to use. Already has a decent set up then (only using pre-fills) that I didn't really want to go explorin' on big devices to find a new sweet spot when I had what worked, and what suited me, established.

When I look at what I spend per month, it is challenging to quantify. With V2, anytime a battery isn't working like I think it ought to, I ask them for a new one, they send it out, and I return the non-working one, with me paying around $2 for that new battery (cost for me shipping the old one back). So, while I have amassed about 30 batteries over the first few years, I've paid for around 11 of those, and of those 11 have had about 6 replacements. I currently have 8 batteries, and almost all the rest have been given away, with glee.

So, not really spending any money on gear and just spent around $25 yesterday with enough juice to take me thru what I feel will be end of summer, though current stock has me lasting until I would say at least July 1st. Thus, not really sure because like any vap-a-holic, I'm going to keep buying new juice well before my last bottle is realized. I can't remember the last time I was down to last bottle/cart, because once that happens to you, you realize 'don't need that to happen again.' But, if I had to guess, I'd say I spend $25 a month (maybe less) on liquid.

Couple that with the $7 a month I spend on smoking and compare that to the $200 (maybe more) I was spending on just smoking, and it seems like way way better deal financially speaking. But vaping is such a thing that the money, as good as it is, is easy to forget about.

I really really like the free market aspect of vaping. Even while I have fairly decent idea of all the 'big/significant players' in the industry, I sometimes feel like a noob because of all the exploring with vaping I could do, would like to do.

So many flavors, so little time.
Makes for a very happy vaper.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
We all have our own personal experiences, and come from different places. But at the end of the day, this decision made by the FDA and/or the courts is going to have a huge impact on the future of vaping and the ability of other smokers to quit.

It seems that this thread has become construed as a "war on cigAlikes" .. which was never my point to begin with. CigAlikes rock, and those who use them as a method for quitting or cutting down also rock.

I LOVE cigAlikes. Because we all wouldn't be talking about this, if it weren't for them, and the smokers who have quit, or cut down, because of them.

The question is ... which way forward?

I don't think of this thread as 'war on cigalikes' but do think of it as yet another ECF thread (or vaping thread) where bigger device users feel very okay to bash cigalikes. If this is your first month or first 6 months of vaping, that may seem new. Ever since about my 2nd month of vaping (now more than 2 years ago), I would call that par for the vaping course. And in both my opinion and experience, it stinks when it shows up. Like when non-filter users used to bash on filter users, only different cause didn't have much of an internet back then and so didn't seem like an everyday thing.

Plus, and more importantly, non-filter users weren't constantly towing the cessation line.

I get that FDA is partially about 'let's get all people off those evil things.' But it is clearly not only FDA, even while FDA appears to hold all the cards right now. In reality, they do not, nor ever will.

This incessant ideology calling for cessation has to cease at some point. I reckon that is years away, but in my time of vaping I have seen the tide turning, and think it is very good. At same time, the prevailing politics around eCigs/vaping is 'whatever keeps you from smoking is great.' Which is not so great from the dual users perspective. Not horrible because I'm guessing I'm part of a large crowd that thoroughly enjoys smoking less, due to (existence of) vaping. But sucks that my dual usage would be perceived by anyone as 'still part of the inherent problem.' Ya know, cause I still have some appreciation for those 'evil things.'

Yet, my experience does bring to the table more years of going cold turkey than most, if not all, vapers have been in cessation mode. Thus, I feel like I fully get what it is like to not ever want an 'evil thing' again. My relapses (plural) from cold turkey to smoking were always made by choice, and never something BT did to me, that I had no say in. I call phooey on that sort of thinking whenever it arises, in whatever form it takes. This notion of, 'golly gee, really didn't know smoking was bad, and so I blame BT. After all, did you hear how they manipulated them to make 'em more addictive. Boy, does BT suck. Let's all blame BT for their wicked and constant attack on our pure innocence.'

As much as some vapers really really want smokers to cease smoking, and can't wait to help out on that front, actively seeking converts, I am not in that boat. I often times really really wish all vapers would smoke moderately. I hear many vapers claim if they had just one, it would be back to full time smoking, but really? I mean, you quit smoking, because a) you wanted to and b) vaping made it so darn easy, then why wouldn't that be true next Thursday, or Saturday or the Tuesday after that, if you had just one smoke today? I would say the reality is you don't want to smoke again, because you are afraid that you would choose smoking over vaping. Which would be great if that sort of honesty was expressed, but never comes out that way. Also, would be easy to deal with because if you want to quit, and realize vaping does work (in reduction), then kinda sorta doesn't matter what your choice is unless your choice is, I'm going to abandon vaping.

I really really like moderate smoking because it is far healthier than abusive smoking and is not an experience I am accustom to since, well ever. Never saw the moderate smoker growing up, except for in the fantasy world of movies/TV where they (characters in a story) seemed to have about 3 to 5 in the course of a whole story, and looked oh so suave when doing it. Not seemingly dealing with the inner cravings that I experienced when I was active abuser. With moderate smoking, especially with vaping in the picture, I truly believe the addiction/cravings has ended. Not, I kinda think it has. It has. From my cold turkey decade of experience, I know what it is like to have an entirely different mindset around smoking, but unlike my cold turkey days, I now have added confidence in my ability to choose just a few smokes a week without thinking/being tempted to go back to full time smoking, or abusive behavior.

And with moderate smoking, I honestly feel the politics of what FSPTCA is about, is put in proper perspective. They say 'prevention' or 'cessation' but constantly, and very visibly, play in the arena of hypocrisy. Constantly downplaying own willpower, at the expense of believing the solution to 'the great evil' is outside of the user in this message, or that substance, or this device. Constantly downplay the choice to smoke, the appreciation for a good smoke, and the liberation that one may experience from smoking. When you ignore, or downplay all that, your cessation claims and advocacy fall far short of reality. And you cease to be a wise advocate for actual prevention.

All this, and more, I intend to share in comments to FDA. Likely being one of very few voices coming from this angle. And fully realizing that this game of cessation, prevention, hypocrisy and continued abuse will play out nationally, if not globally, for awhile longer.

But as I noted earlier the tide is turning and the cigalike vs. better device debate is just more of the same old thinking. In this thread the tide has visibly turned and is microcosm of how it can go the other way. Don't need to bash smokers/smoking for people to realize there are options available that may be just what suits you going forward, and that ultimately prevents you from becoming an abusive smoker.

Last edited:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I use the term "cigalikes" in 2 ways; the most common way (lately) is symbolic of mass produced devices from companies that have done minimum to develop vaping as an industry. Some didn't enter until after 2012 yet they have positioned themselves to be the only recognized products with numbers that matter to financial interests, media, gov't authorities. The consumer wants are secondary and often mischaracturized (single use cartridges). They most often are allied with what tobacco companies want, usually use tobacco companies methods of distribution and market saturation (smoke shops, tobacco distribution, TVECA). They position themselves to be the voice of the vaping industry - which many here don't agree with. It's a catch-all generalization.

2) Cigalikes can also mean very specific devices that are made to look and feel like a cigarette. They are usually more expensive and less efficient than 2nd and 3rd generation devices.

I know I am talking more about the first when I talk about cigalikes much of the time - but not always. I tried a cigalike when I first experimented with vaping and didn't find them satisfying. That experience delayed me from having any interest for another year and I have friends I'm still trying to convince to give vaping another chance. I'm glad they work for some. However, some sources say cigalikes are 2/3rds the market and one of the harshest examples that vaping doesn't work is that 2/3 rds of vapers are dual users. I think that might be relative.

I think it's important to take into context how the term cigalikes is being used.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I use the term "cigalikes" in 2 ways; the most common way (lately) is symbolic of mass produced devices from companies that have done minimum to develop vaping as an industry. Some didn't enter until after 2012 yet they have positioned themselves to be the only recognized products with numbers that matter to financial interests, media, gov't authorities. The consumer wants are secondary and often mischaracturized (single use cartridges). They most often are allied with what tobacco companies want, usually use tobacco companies methods of distribution and market saturation (smoke shops, tobacco distribution, TVECA). They position themselves to be the voice of the vaping industry - which many here don't agree with. It's a catch-all generalization.

2) Cigalikes can also mean very specific devices that are made to look and feel like a cigarette. They are usually more expensive and less efficient than 2nd and 3rd generation devices.

I know I am talking more about the first when I talk about cigalikes much of the time - but not always. I tried a cigalike when I first experimented with vaping and didn't find them satisfying. That experience delayed me from having any interest for another year and I have friends I'm still trying to convince to give vaping another chance. I'm glad they work for some. However, some sources say cigalikes are 2/3rds the market and one of the harshest examples that vaping doesn't work is that 2/3 rds of vapers are dual users. I think that might be relative.

I think it's important to take into context how the term cigalikes is being used.

Same here. Early on (for me, earlier for others) - 2009-2010 - all newbies trying to quit wanted something that looked like a cigarette plus they wanted an eliquid that tasted just like their favorite brand. At the time, there were 510's, 901's that most closely resembled cigs and the 801 that was a bit larger - a large cig with a cigarette holder. The superminis came on board that were more the size of a cig, but the performance was poor. For some, who only smoked at bars on the weekend, superminis were the ticket, but pack a day+ smokers needed more than that. And many were able to quit using the cig diameter, but longer 510, 901 and 801's. I quit the day I got a 510 - had a supermini a week/10 days before that - but that didn't replace cigs for me. And I vaped a 510 for 6 months and longer before getting some tube mods and box mods that still used the 510 connection.

There's been great strides in cigalikes since then. They now have 'clearos' (eGo-cc, eg.) instead of cartridges and cartos, that vape just as well as eGo/mod types just the battery charge and capacity still suffers.

Anyway, I make the same distinction as aikanae, plus what I've mentioned before that early on it was Blu, NJoy and SE that were truly rip offs and attempted to get people on 'monthly plans'. There are many early threads that bear this out. Credit card fraud, etc. etc. Much of the disdain from older vets come from this - ask wv2win :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread