confused about chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

monsterkitty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2010
southwest
hi, i need a little advice. i have the AW IMR 16340 3.7v 550mAh batteries, but not sure which charger i should use. i have 3 different chargers;

Trustfire multifunctional, label on back states it will charge cylindrical lithium batteries including the 16340's

Nano 3.6v (small charger for one battery at a time)

Ultrafire 3.0v-3.6v

only the trust fire is for 3.7v batteries, but i am not sure if i can use it. i have been using the ultrafire and it seems the charge isn't that strong. also i don't know if these AW IMR's are lithium batteries.

also, the ultrafire charger gets very warm when i am charging my 3v batteries. i make sure it's on the right setting, make sure the batteries are in there properly, etc. the other two chargers don't get as warm. is this any cause for concern?

thanks to anyone who can help me out with this.:)

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Well you should post links to the actual chargers. The volt thing can be quite confusing as you listed it as can the maker's volt designations.

Standard 3.7V Li-Ions, including your IMRs, are actually charged to 4.2V. 3-3.2V cells to 3.6V.

It sounds like you are charging your IMRs in a 3V (3.2V) cell charger or a 3V (3.2V) setting if you one of these.

HF%20WF-188.jpg

3.7V is the correct setting, but to totally confuse you right off the charger the cell should be at ~4.2V. :)

monsterkitty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2010
southwest
willyb, thanks for the help. i don't know how to post links, i would post it if i knew how. i don't know that much about chargers or batteries either. so my 3.2v batteries should be charged on the 3.7v setting? have i done any damage to them thus far by charging them on the 3.0v setting?

is there a link to a page that explains all of this? i appreciate your help, thanks again.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
willyb, thanks for the help. i don't know how to post links, i would post it if i knew how. i don't know that much about chargers or batteries either. so my 3.2v batteries should be charged on the 3.7v setting? have i done any damage to them thus far by charging them on the 3.0v setting?

is there a link to a page that explains all of this? i appreciate your help, thanks again.
Not with the charger I posted a pic of. But charging batteries at a lower voltage will not harm them.

So I'm assuming you also have 3 or 3.2V batteries (the Tenergy Li-PO4s once said 3V on them now they say 3.2V, same thing actually), that's what they say on them?

Sounds like I totally confused you with my explanation.

Nano makes two different chargers. If you have this one:

Nano Li-Ion Single 3.6V CR123A Charger - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

It is made to charge 3.7V batteries, but every so often you'll see them stamped 3.6V. It should work fine for these batteries you listed (as long as they fit).
i have the AW IMR 16340 3.7v 550mAh batteries,

So it would appear you have two chargers capable of charging the standard 3.7V Li-Ions or your 3.7V IMRs.

With a charger that offers two settings choose the highest voltage., but with smaller batteries you may want to choose the lower mA setting Do you have the UltraFire charger I listed?

You also said this.
also, the ultrafire charger gets very warm when i am charging my 3v batteries. i make sure it's on the right setting,
If you were using the charger in my pic I would set the volts to 3.2V and the mA to 350mA. This may help with the heat. A lower current charging rate is actually better for the battery in the long run, it will just take a little longer.

The Tenergy 3V (3.2V) Li-PO4s, as an example, recommend staying lower than 500mA for charging.

monsterkitty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2010
southwest
thank you, thank you, it all makes sense now. yes i do have the Nano Li-on Single 3.6v CR123A Charger. I also have the black Trustfire charger which i found out is okay to charge the AW IMR's on. However, for the 3.2v i am not able to change the mAh setting. No, i do not have the Ultrafire Charger you listed.

I did e-mail the place that sold me the batteries/chargers. I noticed when i first started charging the batteries a couple weeks ago the charger would get really warm, now they don't get as warm but the charge is not lasting as long. This only applies to the 3.2v AW IMR's, the charger came with them in a package deal. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread