UltraFire WF-188 charger. Charging AW IMR 16340 3.7V 550mAh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IOWN

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
BC
Ultrafire WF-188 Lithium Battery Charger
AW IMR 16340 3.7V 550 mah

I've emailed the vendor about my question, but it's taking too long for a reply..

I was wondering about the two switches on this charger.

One switch is for 3.7V/3.2V.

The other is for 300mA/650mA

I assume the first switch should be set to 3.7V.

It's the other switch that confuses me. The instructions for the switch:

"According to the battery capacity, select the charge current(650mA or 300mA)
charge current <=0.5 Capacity."

Does anyone know which current is BETTER to charge my AW IMR 16340 3.7V 550mAh batteries? I don't care if it takes longer to charge with the lower current. I don't want to over stress the batteries with the higher current. If the lower current will make my batteries last longer and give me full power then I'm happy.

If I do the calculation <=0.5 Capacity. 550 x 0.5 = 275 So I guess I should set the switch to 300mA. I'd still like to know if there are any advantages/disadvantages associated with the higher current. Like if I set the switch to 650mA instead.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
The 2nd switch is the charging rate and should be lower than the carrying capacity of the battery. e.g set it a 300mA. If you have a battery with a higher capacity, e.g 900mAh then use the 650mA setting.

However IAW Battery University, low and slow is better than high and fast for charging batteries. But my recommendation is safe to use - battery life will be slightly lower in the long run but not anything significant. OTOH charging a battery with to high a current e.g 550mAh battery at 650mA can cause greater damage then charging larger capacity batteries at a fast rate (e.g 650mAh batts and up).

Example: It will take roughly 3.5 - 4hrs to charge an 2600mAh 18650 at the high setting whist it will take 8-9 hrs at the low setting.

IOWN

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
BC
The 2nd switch is the charging rate and should be lower than the carrying capacity of the battery. e.g set it a 300mA. If you have a battery with a higher capacity, e.g 900mAh then use the 650mA setting.

However IAW Battery University, low and slow is better than high and fast for charging batteries. But my recommendation is safe to use - battery life will be slightly lower in the long run but not anything significant. OTOH charging a battery with to high a current e.g 550mAh battery at 650mA can cause greater damage then charging larger capacity batteries at a fast rate (e.g 650mAh batts and up).

Example: It will take roughly 3.5 - 4hrs to charge an 2600mAh 18650 at the high setting whist it will take 8-9 hrs at the low setting.

Thanks Switched!

I did a little research on this charger but found nothing specific for my AW IMR 16340's. I read a review with a bunch of guys comparing the Ultrafire to a CC/CV hobby charger, which slows the current down in the final stages. The WF-188 charger just shuts it down suddenly at full voltage. For the price of this charger and batteries I can't complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread