• Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Wow @Tor R, Many of us used them a lot more than 10 times. Nor have I ever heard of one failing (from an experienced user anyway).
    Most I ever heard for screen insertions would be 5 either from Steamer or Awsum. My max would be 3 on my non USB BB, 1 at install, 1 for escribe changes, 1 for firmware updates. I think it would be hard to reach 10.

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    Wow @Tor R, that can't be right. Seems like a misprint to me. Maybe they forgot the K as in 10K mating cycles. Many of us used them a lot more than 10 times. Nor have I ever heard of one failing (from an experienced user anyway).
    I think it lies in how the connection is designed, keep in mind that the entire patent is small and super low, and then the metal threads themselves that will take the load when the zip is closed are also very thin.
    The FCI Flex connector is not designed for multiple mating.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Yes normally it would be hard to reach 10 mating cycles. But that gives me a new todo item. I have I dunno like 15 spare large screens. They have never been tested. So I could connect them one at a time like 3 times in a row and that would be 45 insertions. So 7 insertions each would be over 100 total. And I still wouldn't expect to see any problems.

The weakest point looks like the latch hinge to me. But even that should handle a lot more than 10 times.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    So I could connect them one at a time like 3 times in a row and that would be 45 insertions. So 7 insertions each would be over 100 total.
    Brother Bill don't waste your time, at the end IF there was a failure it's the board connector that'll need replacing and I remember what happened the last time you did a test for me. LOL (these damn emoji's don't work on my Mac running Chrome)

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    Yes normally it would be hard to reach 10 mating cycles. But that gives me a new todo item. I have I dunno like 15 spare large screens. They have never been tested. So I could connect them one at a time like 3 times in a row and that would be 45 insertions. So 7 insertions each would be over 100 total. And I still wouldn't expect to see any problems.

The weakest point looks like the latch hinge to me. But even that should handle a lot more than 10 times.
    There is nothing to stress about, the actual SFVL 8 pin connector used on dna costs 50 cents and is sold at large electronics places such as Farnell etc. There are two types of 8 pin though.
    You need someone you know who does smt soldering (advanced soldering with heat).
    Now I don't remember how many pins there are on dna C, but there is a SFVL connection there too.
    Dicodes have 12 pin SFVL.

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    It's the third day or so with BB and DNA 60.

I was not very happy with the DNA, it turned out that the main problem was solved by replacing the hybrid dt with the original BB, now it gives a very great TC vape all the time.

I set up the menu in TC so that ohms, watts, vape watts are shown on the screen, every time I take out the atty I get a bug so that Voltage and Amp instead of how I set it up, solved by taking out the battery and reinstall the battery again.
    Slightly annoying but it is what it is.

I'll have a run with escribe the next time I take it apart, lay the wires a little neater, and see if my usb idea can be done or not.
    It could be that I like it so much that I invest in BB pcb's at the same time.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    I'll have a run with escribe the next time I take it apart, lay the wires a little neater, and see if my usb idea can be done or not.
    It could be that I like it so much that I invest in BB pcb's at the same time.

What about something like Tek Division did with their Legacy SbS mod???

My Tek Division SbS has a DNA60, they designed it with no USB connection on the body, for aesthetic reasons no doubt. They included a sealed Evolv USB board for connecting to Escribe.

To me, it looks like TD sealed the USB board in some clear silicone (not sure???). Maybe some kind of clear shrink wrap??? Whatever they used, they did a very tidy job of sealing the board.

-1.jpg

-2.jpg

TD soldered-in a small 5 pin connector on the DNA60 board (as seen above).

-3.jpg

When I've needed to connect to Escribe, I simply connect the USB board and it's ready to go.

The connection between the DNA60 board and the Evolv USB board is very very solid. I have no fears of it breaking, unless I would totally go full gorilla on it (LOL).

Perhaps you can fashion something like that for your BB? I'm thinking it would look nicer on a BB, retaining clean lines/design. IDK. Just a thought.

And also, perhaps @BillW50 or @dwcraig1 might have more input, or knowledge, on using that style of connection?

Last edited:

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com

My Tek Division SbS has a DNA60, they designed it with no USB connection on the body, for aesthetic reasons no doubt. They included a sealed Evolv USB board for connecting to Escribe.

To me, it looks like TD sealed the USB board in some clear silicone (not sure???). Maybe some kind of clear shrink wrap??? Whatever they used, they did a very tidy job of sealing the board.

View attachment 1008387

View attachment 1008388

View attachment 1008389
    When I've needed to connect to Escribe, I simply connect the USB board and it's ready to go.

The connection between the DNA60 board and the Evolv USB board is very very solid. I have no fears of it breaking, unless I would totally go full gorilla on it (LOL).

Perhaps you can fashion something like that for your BB? I'm thinking it would look nicer on a BB, retaining clean lines/design. IDK. Just a thought.

And also, perhaps @BillW50 or @dwcraig1 might have more input, or knowledge, on using that style of connection?
    Preci-dip connectors, 2mm pitch.
    (was already in my shopping list)

Yep, the plan was to go towards the battery, hidden connector makes the mod more stylish in my opinion.

Pigs

Vaping
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia

View attachment 1008387

View attachment 1008388

View attachment 1008389

And also, perhaps @BillW50 or @dwcraig1 might have more input, or knowledge, on using that style of connection
    Agree SMT.
    Works fine for my occasional connections to escribe. Saved me the wiring hassle and more importantly meant a less crowded pcb enclosure.

20240219_224109.jpg

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    Imperial Beach, California
    I recently aquirred a high end brand hybrid drip tip. It took me longer than I'll admit to to figure out that it was the root of my cold ohms being off,
    I bet if I took a pair of pliers to it that it would work good.

Last edited:

Pigs

Vaping
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    One of mine early experience with hybrid drip tips was quite obvious of why I had high cold resistance.

View attachment 1008412

They painted the threads and the bottom of those EXO Nave Style Drip Tips. Online they showed them unpainted.
    They remind me a bit of those Xeta clones that were released (briefly) a few years ago with translucent plastic barrel sections replacing the SS. Plenty of laughs on the FT chat about that.

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    I recently aquirred a high end brand hybrid drip tip. It took me longer than I'll admit to to figure out that it was the root of my cold ohms being off,
    I bet if I took a pair of pliers to it that it would work good.
    For us TC fanatics, we have to use tools to get enough torque.
    Mine was cold 0.9 ohm, after I went back to BB nut it is 0.8 ohm.
    This is surely why I have never been happy with the Jac 75, the 510 spring is, to say the least, of the soft variety. Jac will do the job of getting me used to escribe and which boost setting I want.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    Imperial Beach, California
    They remind me a bit of those Xeta clones that were released (briefly) a few years ago with translucent plastic barrel sections replacing the SS. Plenty of laughs on the FT chat about that.
    Now hold on as there was more to the story. Folks assumed that the ground was made through the SS barrel but that was not the case. The negitive coil leg post sits slightly higher on the deck enabling the chimney to touch against it creating the ground path. While I never tried one of the plastic barrels I'm sure they worked fine.
    I too was one of the believers that felt it wouldn't work....at first.

Attachments

• xeta.jpg
      xeta.jpg
      975.5 KB · Views: 7

Pigs

Vaping
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Now hold on as there was more to the story. Folks assumed that the ground was made through the SS barrel but that was not the case. The negitive coil leg post sits slightly higher on the deck enabling the chimney to touch against it creating the ground path. While I never tried one of the plastic barrels I'm sure they worked fine.
    I too was one of the believers that felt it wouldn't work....at first.
    That's great to know! I love a happy ending (and another win for SXK )

Pigs

Vaping
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    I've had the Raga for a few hours. It's built well, doors have zero play, is pretty small and feels good to hold.
    What's impressed me the most so far is the board/way it hits. Really smooth and fast. I haven't tweaked it at all yet.

20240220_204810.jpg
    20240220_204212.jpg

Definitely better for right hand thumb fire. I sometimes like to vape in the left hand but this feels clunky.

Users who are viewing this thread