hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello and welcome back for another review. This time I will be covering the Thunderhead Creations Mech Boro Mod that was sent to me by Sourcemore in order to provide you with a fair and honest review. In case you don’t know what a boro mod is, a boro tank I believe was originally used in Billet Box type mods where the tank sits inside the mod which is then called an All in One mod or AIO. These tanks can be used on many Boro devices and can be either rebuildable or use factory coils like PNP or Nautilus coils. I’m sure there are more but those are the two that I am most familiar with. The Tauren Mech Mod can be purchased two different ways. It can be purchased as an unregulated mechanical mod only or can be purchased with the X Chip which makes it a semi regulated mod. I would not recommend purchasing the unregulated version unless you are very familiar with ohm’s law and using the proper coil resistances for the batteries that you are using.

The Tauren Mech Mod is compatible with 18650, 20700, and 21700 batteries depending on the configuration you choose to use. The last two are only compatible when not using the X Chip. The connections inside are 24k plated to ensure a good connection and can be used with most boro tanks as far as I am aware. I have a few different ones and will test the unit with these. There is also a 510 build deck adapter that I will talk about more later. In the past I have been very pleased with all of the THC tanks that I have tested so have been looking forward to testing out this new mod.

aYwk2lh.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1* Tauren Boro Mod
    1* 21700 Battery Cap
    1* 18650 Battery Cap
    1* 510 Adaptor
    1* Coil Leg Trimmer
    1* 510 Build Deck Insert
    1* Multifunctional Wrench
    1* Thanks Card
    1* Warranty Card
    1* User Manual
    Spare Screwdriver & Screws & O-rings

gaFJQ4l.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:

BrandThunderHead Creations
    Product NameTauren Mech Boro Mod
    Size29.5*47*70mm
    MaterialAluminum
    Battery Compatible21700/18650/20700 battery
    ColorMatte Black, Gunmetal, Electric Blue

zyICcwK.jpg

FEATURES:

1. Compatible with 21700/18650/20700 battery

2. Multifunctional wrench and build deck included

3. Compatible with Tauren Boro Tank

4. Full mech mod only

5. Compact mini size & elegant

6. 0.1s fast boost, 0.1ohm support

7. 10s auto cutoff, 510 build deck

8. Full 24K plated inside, strong connection

9. Multiple modes: 18650 mech mode, 20700/21700 mech mode

10. Safety protections: Short Circuit/Over Discharge/Battery Reverse/Over Temperature Protection (WHEN USING X CHIP)

QDJStFR.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The version that I received for this review is the blue Mech version that does not include the X Chip which adds some safety features to the mod but only fits in the mod with the 18650 battery and taller battery cap. I won’t be covering the X Chip since I didn’t receive it for testing.

The packaging for the Tauren is really pretty nice in my opinion. The front of the box has the Tauren symbol and name near the top in a metallic looking color and below it lets you know that it was designed and manufactured by Thunderhead Creations. There is a clear viewing window that allows you to see one side of the mod before opening the box. I’m sure it was done on purpose like this so that the badge on the side of the mod was visible.

The back side of the box has the same Tauren logo and name as well as the THC logo near the top in gold. It gives a rather lackluster description of the contents of the package and the THC website near the bottom.

1693703722871.png

1693703747055.png

The box is opened by pulling on the cloth tab that is protruding from the bottom long side of the box. Once opened, you get a better look at the contents of the box which includes the mod itself, coil cutting guide, long battery cap for use with 21700 batteries, build deck adapter, and 510 adapter for dry burning coils. There is a spare cut out in the foam for the X Chip but as I mentioned, I received the mech only version without the chip. The user manual is located underneath the foam insert along with the Tauren wrench which can be used to help in removing the battery cap as well as the boro nut that secures the tank in place. I was a little surprised that there is no tank included in the kit so if you are wanting the Tauren boro tank then it will have to be purchased separately.

1693703821272.png

This is a mechanical mod so there is no display to discuss. It’s definitely a good idea to know ohm’s law and your battery capacity when using a mechanical mod. I personally do not normally use mechanical mods. If you aren’t familiar with ohm’s law then free calculators can be found easily online. It will tell you how many watts and amps a particular coil resistance will draw from the battery so you do need to know the rated ampacity of the battery you are using. This battery information can be found from the place that you purchased it or better yet take a look at Mooch’s battery reviews. His reviews can be found here Home - Mooch Batteries Reviews Blog.

The front of the mod has the door that covers the boro tank that you choose to use with the mod but has a large opening. Near the top is what I am guessing is a serial number and below the opening are five round airflow holes. Near the bottom is the fire button. This button has kind of a spongey feel to it. I personally am not crazy about the placement of the button here. I am normally a person that likes to use my thumb to fire a mod but with this one the only comfortable way I could find to fire it is with my hand wrapped around the battery tube and fire it with my middle finger. The mod has four magnets and the door has four magnets as well on the back side to hold the door on very securely. They are so strong that sometimes it’s a little bit of a struggle to remove the door. In the last picture below you can see the gold plated contact that meets up with the bottom contact of the boro tank. The center screw has a slot cut in it so it can be removed for cleaning and is adjustable to better fit some tanks. The drip tip that is included is replaceable. At first I thought it was an integrated tip but pretty quickly discovered that it was not after trying to tighten the boro nut by turning the tip. I quickly replaced the included tip with one of my favorite integrated tips. These eliminate the need to use the Tauren wrench to tighten the nut.

1693703863998.png

1693703889378.png

1693703913792.png

The mod comes with the short battery cap pre-installed on the mod which is only able to be used with an 18650 battery and does not allow room for the X Chip. In the kit however is a longer battery cap that allows the user to use an 18650 with the chip or a 20700/21700 without the chip. The battery is loaded with the negative post pointing up towards the threaded cap. The polarity is not marked inside the mod which would have been a nice touch. However, the inside of each battery cap has a – symbol engraved into the contact. I experienced some difficulty trying to thread on the shorter battery cap. It was a little tough to get the threading started because the mod body gets in the way. I ended up running the mod most of the time with the taller batter cap and a 21700 battery. The longer cap gives you more room to get a grip on it to get it started. Also the short cap is a little difficult to unthread because of a lack of area to grip which is where the included wrench can come in handy to help you get the cap started to unthread. The wrench can also be used to tighten the boro nut with whichever boro tank you decide to use with the mod.

1693703947828.png

1693703971121.png

zu7ui8H.jpg

GWXSZnr.jpg

One side of the mod has a gold badge shaped like the Tauren symbol. I personally think that the badge would have looked better in stainless steel to match the stainless battery tube. There is an opening on either side so the boro tank is exposed and can be seen. Both sides of the mod have three slanted oval holes that allow plenty of airflow for the tank.

1693704118695.png

1693704153491.png

The base of the mod has the THC logo and Thunderhead Creations name printed on it. The base is held in place with two torx head screws which I’m assuming can be removed for cleaning the mod. Also on the bottom are seven holes in a circular pattern which serve as a safety feature in case of battery venting. This is definitely a good idea in a mechanical mod.

aOnfbDF.jpg

Included in the kit is the Tauren build deck and a 510 adapter. The build deck is inserted in the mod in place of a boro tank and the 510 adapter screws in from the top in place of the boro nut in order to provide the user with the ability to dry burn coils. Of course the boro tank you are using would have to have a 510 threaded connector on it to use it like this. From what I understand, the Tauren boro tank does have such a connection. I guess you could also use this to fire a tank but that is not the intention. I personally have a little bit of an issue dry burning a coil on a mechanical mod. A lot of boro bridges don’t have a lot of room to build in and one could easily have a shorted coil which would not be a good situation when trying to dry burn the coil on a mechanical mod. I did try dry burning a coil with my first build in the Ether boro tank that I used and it burned the coil to the point where every puff tasted burnt and I had to install a new coil.

3lQrOCx.jpg

wNDSHvU.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I was a little late to the game when it comes to THC devices. I have tested a few of their tanks and have been impressed with the build quality and performance. I’ve never been much of a mechanical mod user even in the earlier days of vaping when there wasn’t much available on the market.

I tried two different tanks in the Tauren which were the Ether boro tank and another tank that uses nautilus coils. Both worked fine in the mod without issue. I used a MTL Clapton ni80 wire to wind a .7 ohm coil in the Ether boro tank. Initially with a fully charged 18650 battery it seemed to hit well but after a short while I was finding myself wishing it was a regulated mod where I could turn the wattage up. After that I used a 21700 battery with the same tank and could immediately tell that it seemed like the mod hit harder with the larger battery.

The Tauren mod does work as promised and looks good doing it. Remember that these are my personal opinions and that I am not a seasoned mechanical mod user. I will say that the Tauren is smaller and lighter than what I expected from a mod like this. To me it doesn’t seem to fire quite as fast as another mechanical mod that I used before. For me the fire button placement is a little awkward and feel like since it is a mechanical mod with this type/position of fire button that there should be some way to lock the fire button. My other complaint is that it doesn’t come with a tank. I wish they would have included the Tauren boro tank and adjusted the price accordingly. It is good that there are a couple different battery configurations. I didn’t get the X Chip with the kit I received for review but wish that the chip could also be used with the 21700 battery for maximum battery life.

I hope that I have done a well enough explanation of this mod for you. Some might love the Tauren Mech Mod but for me personally it’s probably going to be a no go. It just doesn’t fit my vaping style well. I’d like to thank Sourcemore and Kavis for sending the Thunderhead Creations Tauren Mech Boro kit for this review. Thanks also to the readers for making it to the end of yet another review. Below is a link to the website if you would like to purchase one yourself. There isn’t a coupon code on this one.

ThunderHead Creations Tauren Mech Boro Mod (sourcemore.com)
    8uhOMrB.jpg

Pigs

Vaping
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Thanks for another thorough review @hittman.
    I own one and had a lot of fun playing around with its appearance, but don't see it as a practical or even a very safe device. Agree with your final thoughts.
    Not sure Thunderhead should have marketed a mech boro mod to the masses and they made a mistake in labelling the boro positive to 510 adapter as a "build deck". Crazy on a mech.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Thanks for another thorough review @hittman.
    I own one and had a lot of fun playing around with its appearance, but don't see it as a practical or even a very safe device. Agree with your final thoughts.
    Not sure Thunderhead should have marketed a mech boro mod to the masses and they made a mistake in labelling the boro positive to 510 adapter as a "build deck". Crazy on a mech.
    Thank you and I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread