you didn't really quit smoking because you're vaping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

astounded

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
vancouver bc
Some responses I have not yet had a chance to use:

Although I try to be polite regarding exhaling clouds near somebody, if I do get a complaint I am ready with:
"I am so sorry - I just assumed that living in Vancouver you would be used to water vapour."

And, (although strangely enough my strategy mentioned in my previous post seems to have shut everybody up), I am now almost looking forward to the day somebody tells me I am still smoking ...
"Smoking? Honey ... you better believe it - in fact I downright sizzle! Hot, hot,hot." (Sly wink and walk away humming the song)

(Apparently tobacco use previously reined in my sarcastic inner b.... - watch out world, she's being set free!)

TimmyB5286

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Ohio
Every time I have to go to the hospital or to my doctors office, I'm asked if I smoke. I tell them I use an electronic cigarette. They say, well your a non smoker. Once, they were going to put that I use an electronic cigarette and how much juice I vape, but the nurse didn't know how to put it down, so she just put down non smoker.
Like others have said, if you feel better, who cares what others think. Most of all never smoked a cigarette people are on a high horse as it is. I had a debate with one, and it just got ridiculous.. Enjoy what you do and enjoy how irritated people can get because you do not conform to what they want. :) (This is all just in general, not directed to any one person)

Fred Garvin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I get this from folks who don't understand the technology so it's usually a simple matter of explaining what's going on.

Then, there are those special people who still believe the Earth is flat and the solar system revolves around us. For them, I have to get a bit more specific:

Merriam-Webster defines smoking as:

Medical Definition of SMOKE

intransitive verb
1: to inhale and exhale the fumes of burning plant material and especially tobacco; especially : to smoke tobacco habitually
transitive verb
2: to inhale and exhale the smoke of (smoked 30 cigarettes a day)

Definition of SMOKE

intransitive verb
1a : to emit or exhale smoke
b : to emit excessive smoke
2 archaic : to undergo punishment : suffer
3: to spread or rise like smoke
4: to inhale and exhale the fumes of burning plant material and especially tobacco; especially : to smoke tobacco habitually

Rarely, folks will argue the definition of "smoke" as a noun but I defeat that as we're talking about "smoking" or "smoke" as an act, or verb.

Many times by this point they're staring blankly at my forehead (some even drool) and we're done.

Bobee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2013
Tennessee
I've got to completely disagree completely with that statement personally. Especially earlier I was just doing a little research on just few of the ......ed amounts of things in actual cigarettes. Not to mention my goal is to be down in the 0-6mg range within the next six months. I have already went from 24 to 12. So then at that point as I still enjoy vaping, who doesn't enjoy vaporized cheesecake? (Just a flavor example)

Vaptor

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2012
sydney
I consider myself to be an ex smoker because i am no longer smoking analogs however i can understand the reasoning behind someone saying that i have not given up smoking because their seeing me vape but they don't understand that there is a big difference between the two.

I don't consider my self an ex-smoker as I don't consider my self an ex-Coke drinker. I just don't use those anymore.

MonkInsane

ECF Veteran
I tend to politely dismiss their arguements by listing the beneficial aspects of vaping, especially the fact that you get 0% Nic juice and that you can ween yourself off the nicotine completely whilst still continuing to vape! :) Seems to warm most people to the idea of me vaping!

But in all honesty all my friends and family, smokers, Ex-smokers and non - have been very supportive. They are really the only people who's opinions matter to me - so I don't really pay too much attention to everyone else's opinion.

MonkInsane

ECF Veteran
The way I see it is that vaping is a healthier alternative to smoking. You are not taking in co2, tons of chemicals, smelling like an ashtray.

However you are still taking in as much if not more nicotine then smoking. With that being said I believe heart attack risk remains the same as a smoker due to increased blood pressure.

Still beats smoking.

Actually there have been studies that prove otherwise:

E-Cigarettes Don't Harm Heart, Study Shows
E-Cigarettes Not Tied to Risk of Heart Disease in Study - Bloomberg
Electronic Cigarettes Not Linked To Heart Damage

And you are taking in far less nicotine as nicotine from an e-cig gets absorbed much slower than from a conventional cigarette.

MonkInsane

ECF Veteran
That's also why so many vapers are shocked to hear that the ANTZ oppose e-cigarettes. It flies in the face of everything they've been told about why they should quit smoking.

Exactly! I've always wanted to quit, even tried one - lasted 4 days - Now I've quit using an E-cig and ANTZ is still on my case! Bloody hell, can't they just take me switching to an e-cig as a victory for them (Much more so for me personally :) I beat the stinkies :p ). But no, they are never satisfied.

Last edited:

curlygirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2010
Indiana
Just this past weekend, my husband and I went to a local bar that is now "smoke free". We did vape, but one patron said that supposedly wasn't "permitted" either? A friend of a friend, who does not smoke, asked to try my ecig. Puzzled as to why a non-smoker would want to, but provided her with it and she choked and spat out "oh that is so strong"... No S&it...I mean, to a non-smoker, I am sure it is. But then it is followed up with, why not smoke real cigs? I was really good, at first. I just replied with the truth: I was really tired of smelling like smoke, burning my clothes and standing in the cold to smoke. She replied, this seems just as bad.

I normally have no filter....but I did rise above her snarkiness and decided, it's not worth my time. I have no desire to educate someone who already has all the answers. I am vaping because I know it is better for me than smoking. I am twelve days analog free and I have quit cold turkey, with chantix, with Wellbutrin...I just have found vaping is working for me and is less stressful. I don't owe anyone an explanation for my vaping, especially those who got it all together ;)

Rusty S.

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2013
Kitsap County, Washington State
I think one of the worst tings the ANTZ did was vilify smokers - it made everyone who has a pi$$y streak about smoking the junior high bully, and they're utterly toxic. The ANTZ made smokers into second-class citizens, and now they're flying test balloons to see if they can fling vitriol at vapers, too.

I let them know with a smile and a few simple words that I think they're out of line by casting judgement on me and walk away, because I've been on this rock for a long time, and if there's one thing I know, it's that there's no such thing as a puritan who's really pure.

solace.discord

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
Southern Maine
actual conversation over the weekend with someone that told me I looked stupid and should just be smoking butts instead:

do you do things that aren't great for you?
"well, I suppose.." (takes a drag off a cig and haul off a beer)
and if there were something out there that you could do instead, healthier options, less dangerous, and so on, would you try it or switch?
"I guess.."
vaping is what I did to stop smoking cigarettes. my choice, just like its yours to keep doing what you're doing. you think I look stupid, I think you smell bad. there, we're even.

and then she walked away. ;)

(I'm in sales, and I don't tolerate snarkiness/ignorance in my face.)

Last edited:

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
actual conversation over the weekend with someone that told me I looked stupid and should just be smoking butts instead:

do you do things that aren't great for you?
"well, I suppose.." (takes a drag off a cig and haul off a beer)
and if there were something out there that you could do instead, healthier options, less dangerous, and so on, would you try it or switch?
"I guess.."
vaping is what I did to stop smoking cigarettes. my choice, just like its yours to keep doing what you're doing. you think I look stupid, I think you smell bad. there, we're even.

and then she walked away. ;)

(I'm in sales, and I don't tolerate snarkiness/ignorance in my face.)

I think you were moderate in your response ... you certainly could have mentioned other undesirables that go along with smoking such as stained teeth, bad breath, poor lung function ... the list goes on. Let's hope you planted a seed and she reconsiders her attitude and position.

Vape On! :)

solace.discord

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
Southern Maine
I think you were moderate in your response ... you certainly could have mentioned other undesirables that go along with smoking such as stained teeth, bad breath, poor lung function ... the list goes on. Let's hope you planted a seed and she reconsiders her attitude and position.

Vape On! :)

it was obvious she didn't want to be educated. if she had, I would have gone into benefits of vaping vs continuing to smoke... I have had those conversations before and have several of my supplies out on loan because of it! this particular individual came off as a condescending ...... at the start- them types don't get much of my time or breath- I need it for vaping! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread