Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we have all od'd to some extreme here. 36 mg? I wouldn't touch the stuff. I think that's just asking for it. But that's my opinion.

I'm glad you are feeling better and feel comfortable talking about this. This is good information for everybody. I'm just sorry you had to pay for it like this. But we're learning from each other.

zaphod

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
I've had headache many times after parties when combined with alcohol I smoke normal cigarettes way too much. You know the alcohol just makes u smoke and I smoke a lot even without it.. The headache usually lasts the whole day after and painkillers don't help much if I don't stop smoking ...
Last year I quit smoking for about 3 month and I was really surprised when I found that without cigarettes I never had a headache no matter how drunk I was the previous night ;)
So, if you were used to low nicotine cigars its normal to end up with such a headache...
My advise will be not to quit e-cigs but get low nicotine carts... I think normal cigs will give u the same problems if u abuse yourself too much ;)

The standard HIGH carts are 18mg, so 36mg has to be way too much!

UncleMidriff

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Nicotine liquid scares the crap out of me, to be honest.

The fact that I have three little bottles on my desk the contents of which could kill a man several times over does quite a mind job on me. I have a recurring nightmare where my friends with children come over to my house, and one of their children find his or her way to my stash and drinks a bottle. Or, I'm out and about one day, arriving home to figure out my nic-bottle is no longer in my pocket, and then watching the news later that evening to see that some child has mysteriously died after drinking the contents of a bottle they found on the ground while their parents weren't looking. *shivers*

I know that's irrational. When anyone comes over to my house, I hide my nic-stash way up high in a secure place in my closet. And when I'm out and about with my nic-liquid, I check my pockets about 40 times a minute to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be. (Yeah, I'm an anxious person.) And, I would hope that any child faced with a bottle of nic-liquid would find the taste and smell so horrible that they'd toss the thing aside before even attempting to consume it. So the likelihood of either of those scenarios playing out is fairly slim, but it still plays quite a number on me when I'm trying to get to sleep at night.

:(

Nicotine liquid scares the crap out of me, to be honest.

I know that's irrational. When anyone comes over to my house, I hide my nic-stash way up high in a secure place in my closet.

That's not irrational. That's called being cautious. And you know? You MUST think about the worst case scenario. That does not make you paranoid. It makes you smart! Besides children and pets, there are WAY too many idiots out there. I am not playing Russian Roullette with them.

I hide my stash too.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Not irrational at all. Because we inhale the liquid, it can't be given a terrible smell and taste, as is done with some other poisonous liquids. Our liquids actually sometimes smell quite good -- and the taste isn't bad either. Yummm, apple!

If you have a dog companion, you know about "dog proofing" your house when you leave. No chocolate chip cookies left on the counter. If you forget, the cookies won't be there when you return. Dogs are curious. So are children. When it comes to liquid containing nicotine (36mg is unbelievably dangerous!), then it must be kept far out of tiny reach (and should have a child-proof, tamper-proof cap).

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
No. Kate is right. We're all different, I acknowledge that, but I miss real cigarettes after not having one for 16 months. And I've had numerous conversations with former smokers, who almost all say they miss cigarettes 5 years, 27 years, or even 36 years after quitting in the case of one I spoke with.

Smoking forever changes your brain. Quitting does not return your brain to that of a never-smoker. You will likely always experience cravings for cigarettes, no matter how easy things seem at any given moment. Just wait. The haunts will return.

My neighbor, with one lung lost from lung cancer a decade ago, just got out of the hospital after five weeks on the edge of having a blood clot turn loose. Weak, he limped across the road to greet me and the first thing out of his mouth was, "You got anything to smoke?" Now, that's addiction. He knows I use e-cigs all day, but I noted that he didn't ask, "You got an e-cig I could vape?" He's rejected my attempts to get him to try one.

Heck, John McCain told an interviewer he'd been off cigarettes for 28 years (think that's the right year number) and still misses them.

For me, and I bet many others, e-smoking is not a miracle. It's an acceptable, but incomplete, alternative. If you're a happy e-smoker now, let's talk again in a year. If the FDA doesn't speak first.

Sorry to go back to an earlier post slightly off topic, but hey only just caught up with Jimmys goings-on!

I kind've have to disagree with you a little bit Bob here I'm afraid...

I don't believe that smoking 'forever changes the brain' - I think it is more likely the nicotine for a start which we obviously get from vaping anyway. And I don't think the nicotine is responsible for a 'forever' effect, but memories certainly stay with us....

I think it's more likely that as humans we enjoy reminiscing on the good times... if you smoked for the past 30 years, your good times were most likely accompanied by a smoke. Added to this the nicotine which triggers the brain's reward scheme, and the good times become doubly enhanced!

Now, as ex smokers/current vapers, we all have one thing in common: that we enjoy an habitual element to our lives - without our habit, life is perhaps less enjoyable (or at least we think it is). So this is another factor to consider for the ex-smokers who never fully find a replacement 'habit' element in their lives and thus always crave their previous habit - the analogue.

I guess what I'm getting to Jimmy, is that give yourself a bit of time with the vaping, enjoy it at all times in everyday life, and sooner or later it will start to overcome those long gone days when you first lit up an analogue with your very first fling, after your first fumble in the dark...

Let the good times roll.... :thumb:

Ps. Oh and definitely cut back the juice strength jimmy!!! I hope you're fully recovered now - it must have felt pretty alarming!!

Jimmy S

Nov 7, 2008
Dublin
cheer smokeinjuice!! I have to be honest, I think that stuff about nicotine and the brain is complete garbage!! I quit smoking after attending an Alan Carr seminar a few years ago no problem and never craved one the whole time, a couple of years I think, he is right in everything he says, but there is something missiing or not elaborated in his book that prevents people some people quiting his way!! Anyway, I was the dumb scmuck who started smoking again and found it harder to quit his way the second time.

Headache is just about gone, now for my plan of action, What should I go for this time?? Can you get e-liquid in anything lower than 14MG anywhere?? I guess that either way I will experience some discomfort through the transition period but I am willing to give it one more try, so what is the safest bet for me??

thanks

Jimmy

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Hardly garbage, Jimmy. And thanks Kate for posting the link. Anyone can go to sciencedaily.com and be astounded by the physiological changes in the brain -- permanent changes. It's not the "good times" we miss, it's restructuring of the brain that we can never reverse.

In fact, it would be a good idea, Jimmy, to spend a day reading Science Daily after typing in "nicotine" in the search field. You'll learn a lot about headaches and nicotine and what smoking has done and nicotine intake will do to you if you keep it up.

KatyS

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
I am addicted to nicotine medium strengh 16, but its not the same as analog cigs. I went out today to shop and mail packages. Probably a 2 hour jaunt. To my dismay I realized I left my ecig pouch at home with all my ecig stuff. I didn't panic and think I have to stop at a store and get cigarettes like I used to do. I just took a deep breath gnawed on a pen, did my stops and went home. Sat down had some tea and a good vape. Its so nice to know I really am off tobacco cigs.

scrubadub

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2008
London, UK
Headache is just about gone, now for my plan of action, What should I go for this time?? Can you get e-liquid in anything lower than 14MG anywhere??

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better Jimmy. If you got hold of some flavouring and vegetable glycerine you could cut your 36mg juice down to any strength you like and change the taste of it. That's if you haven't already binned it that is:)

If you can stomach it I reckon it's worth another go with this thing, unless of course it's put you off nicotine altogether. I don't know about you but when I started smoking as a teenager I spent the first few tries with my head down the toilet with nicotine poisoning. I persevered though and here I am 20 years later with a nice healthy habit :thumb:

jules

Oct 20, 2008
west midlands uk.
Hi Jimmy, Sorry you've had such a bad experience,hope you are now fully recovered.
I buy totally wicked juice 36mg and dilute it with supercooks glycerine (69p from Tesco). I bought a couple of dropper bottles (80 something pence 20ml size from superdrug) and mix 50/50 juice and glycerine.This gives me 18mg juice.This way I only pay £14.99 for a 20ml 36mg juice,but get 2 bottles of 18mg.Don't know about you,but I have to watch the pennies these days.
I've even made up a bottle of zero nicotine juice using glycerin and vanilla flavouring.You may find this a bit sickly but I love it.
I learned all this from reading posts on this site.I tell everyone I meet who wants to take up e-cigs to read this forum.
I would like to thank all posters for the information given,it has helped me no end in making my changeover to e-smoking a great experience.Thanks.
julie:thumb::D

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
"The brain is permanently restructured by nicotine, dependent on the intake and duration of usage. It never returns to its pre-exposed state, although those who do quit end up with a brain dissimilar to both smokers and those who have never smoked."

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...rates-power-nicotine-addiction.html#post16304

Good info Kate!

I've been researching this for the past few hours delving through journals and all I've found so far suggests that smoking has more of a permanent effect on adolescents (ie. developing brains)...

Taken from New Scientist:

Teenage smokers risk badly wired brains

'Parents may now have another reason to worry about their children smoking. Nicotine may cause the teenage brain to develop abnormally, resulting in changes to the structure of white matter - the neural tissue through which signals are relayed.'

And a study on adolescent rats:

Modeling adolescent nicotine exposure : effects on cholinergic systems in rat brain regions
Auteur(s) / Author(s)

TRAUTH J. A. (1) ; MCCOOK E. C. (1) ; SEIDLER F. J. (1) ; SLOTKIN T. A. (1)

Excerpts:

'Smoking among teenagers is increasing and the initiation of tobacco use during adolescence is associated with subsequently higher cigarette consumption and lower rates of quitting. Few animal studies have addressed whether adolescent nicotine exposure exerts unique or lasting effects on brain structure or function. Initial investigations with a rat model of adolescent nicotine exposure have demonstrated that the vulnerable developmental period for nicotine-induced brain cell damage extends into adolescence. In the current study, we examined the effect of nicotine on cholinergic systems in male and female adolescent rats with an infusion paradigm designed to match the plasma levels found in human smokers or in users of the transdermal nicotine patch.
'

And in Conclusion:

'Midbrain values returned to normal immediately after the cessation of nicotine exposure and then showed a subsequent, transient suppression of activity. Although the cerebral cortex showed little or no change in HC-3 binding during or after nicotine administration, activity was reduced persistently in the hippocampus. The regionally-selective effects of adolescent nicotine treatment on cholinergic systems support the concept that adolescence is a vulnerable developmental period for ultimate effects on behavior.'

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw that in and will meanwhile see if I can dig up any other studies conducted on adults...

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
Thanks Tim, that's interesting. Most smokers start in their teenage years so I guess I could risk suggesting that most of us have gone through the abnormal developments you mention.

I was thinking the same thing Kate - speaking for myself, it would explain quite a lot! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread