Why do VV/VW go up so high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Stub

Jan 16, 2014
Lone Tree, CO
I'm so confused :(- Alll these mods have VV/VW with ranges that go up pretty high. I say high, because w/ 50/50 juice in an Evod (or any tank I have) w/ 1.8-2.5ohm heads, I can't turn the watts up past 3.5 or 4.0 on most flavors w/o gettinga burnt taste. Especially w/ my coffee flavors, I have to keep those at 3.0W to keep from burning. I gues my question is why do the watts/vols go up so high, if anything over 4W burns my juice? So confusing... I'm looking at the eleaf istick instead of an MVP, 'cuz the MVP's watts don't go all the way down to 3... Please help! I just know I'm missing something important, or these mods wouldn't all go up so high!! Thanks you so much in advance for your time, I really appreciate it!

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
3 or 4 watts, or 3 or 4 volts? Makes a diff. 3 or 4 watts....I'm surprised you can vape at all that low. Good figure is about 7 or 8 watts for stock standard coils.

Voltage on the other hand is normally in that range (3-4) for stock stuff.

Another thing: What PG/VG are you using in that juice? You may find thinning 100% PG with a few drops of water will help it wick and not burn.

Last edited:

James Laudano

Dec 1, 2014
CT
I believe airflow is a key factor in how well juices will perform in your average evod or kanger tank. The pg/vg ratio is a big determining factor as well. I run 65/35 in my small tanks and am able to use 11 watts without issue no matter the juice. But I do rebuild my coils using organic cotton and pretty much have it down to an exact science by now. I mainly vape menthol on 2.1 ohm nano sized coils at 9watts. The innokin gladius is my primary tank, which is a tank that doesn't receive enough credit. I only go through 1 to 1.5 mills of juice per day, so for me it works. I bought it when I knew nothing about vaping but do not regret it one bit. The prebuilt coils stink, but with rebuilt coils it shines. It never leaks, pops, is not messy and is a very durable tank. The heads can easily be rebuilt.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
3-4W attypop, sorry for nor being clear:) Thanks for the advice.

What battery are you using?

Generally speaking, 6-7 watts is ideal (and recommended) wattage for Kanger single coils. At 3 watts, you won't be able to vaporize the juice properly.

I use Kanger clearos on my MVP 2 all the time and in that range (6-7W per single coil).

James Wilson

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2014
Lebanon, Indiana, United States
The funny thing is I haven't had a lot of problem out of stock coils. Though I will admit some of the new kanger duel coils aren't that great. Had to take a sewing needle down the center and poke some holes in what I assume was the wick. Before on these 1.5 ohm I wasn't getting hardly any flavor or a decent vape. I did that and it improved it a lot. Still not as good as the 2.0 ohm I had before though. I can usually get a month or two out of a coil though. But I keep my setup pretty clean. I am looking to get a Nautilus though along with an mvp 20w if I get enough in on my tax check. A nice step up from my Itaste VV with Kanger Aerotank Mini. I also recently got a stingray. I think it may be a clone but it is nice. Still need to get me some organic cotton so I can make a wick for it. I already got a coil on it. The guy who gave it to me used to use it. The coils are ones he built and put on there and are in good shape. Can't wait to try it out. For VV/VW's though how much power you actually need depends on your setup really. Not everyone can make good use out of high powered mods. Just cause not every setup can handle it. But there are others that can and are made for it. The reason I have decided on the MVP 20w is because 20w is all i really need for the Nautilus and it is a good box mod. Now if I was going for the Atlantis I'd be looking at a higher powered unit.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
If you're looking at what to purchase, the istick 30 watt might be better at handling low voltages. ( though you'd need to check the specs to be sure).

Turns out the battery lasts longer if you don't turn it up all the way. So you don't have to use the top ranges, but can still take advantage of the long battery life that the high wattage models can have- as long as it will also work well in the lower voltage/wattage ranges.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
5 watts is about the lowest setting you can SEE on an istick - you must be confusing volts and watts ...............

That's what I wondered too. 4 volts and 1.8 ohms = 4 x 4 / 1.8 = 8.88888 watts. And coffee flavors burn easily. Also wicking MAY still be an issue.

IDK what the user interface is like. Does it have a W or V or something on the display to tell what mode it's in?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Lowest wattage on MVP 2.0 is 6, the range is 6-11. The lowest voltage is 3.3V. Still, start low and turn up gradually, allow time for the liquid to wick between hits. I dunno if the type/style of inhalation makes a difference.

It does--if one chain vapes or power vapes. :)

If the juice doesn't have enough time to get to the coil to keep it wet, dry hits will happen, even at low wattages.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
high watts are for "advanced" user gear. it's all the rage now with the watt race going on. for most users it's not necessary, nor should be suggested. an mvp is a fantastic device for the normal user.

that being said. i'm vaping my own coffee brew right now at approximately 80 watts. but i have the gear to do it, the understanding it takes to use that gear, and i vape at that range all day, every day... with extremely high nic.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
high watts are for "advanced" user gear. it's all the rage now with the watt race going on. for most users it's not necessary, nor should be suggested. an mvp is a fantastic device for the normal user.

that being said. i'm vaping my own coffee brew right now at approximately 80 watts. but i have the gear to do it, the understanding it takes to use that gear, and i vape at that range all day, every day... with extremely high nic.

The OP is using a Kanger single stock coil. It's not designed to handle more than 8 watts or so.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
The OP is using a Kanger single stock coil. It's not designed to handle more than 8 watts or so.

i noticed.

i concur.

you guys have covered that pretty well. and i'm sure still working on it.

i was more answering the "why" part of the question... with somewhat of a disclaimer.

guess i did a poor job of relaying that disclaimer?

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010

exactly! and that brings us back to atty's math ;)

That's what I wondered too. 4 volts and 1.8 ohms = 4 x 4 / 1.8 = 8.88888 watts. And coffee flavors burn easily. Also wicking MAY still be an issue.

there is no doubt in my mind when the op references 3-4 watts she is meaning to say volts

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
guess i did a poor job of relaying that disclaimer?

;)

exactly! and that brings us back to atty's math ;)

there is no doubt in my mind when the op references 3-4 watts she is meaning to say volts

I agree.

OP, your 1.8Ω coil should work just fine at 3.4-3.8 volts or 6-7 watts.

When in doubt, start low and increase your wattage (or voltage) to suit your taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread