Most ppl vape under 5 V right? So what's the point of VW devices going up to 6 V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I get a lot of dry hits even at 4.8 V, so I don't see why some VW devices that can go up to 6 V. You would need a really high resistance coil for that right? I mean, imagine vaping at 6 V with a 2.0 Ohm coil, how can the wick keep up with that?

thx

the problem is more associated with prebuilt devices, many are not capable or designed to handle higher power. or as stated have very high resistances.

once you get into rebuilding though it becomes a different set of rules. and it is very easy to build a set up that can vape well all the way into the 50 watt range.

so its more a case of would you prefer less or more range? they could easily design a regulated device to go from say 3.5 to 5 volts but now you have less room to move. in most cases a device gets created and everyone falls in line with those settings then that becomes standard. it would almost be inconceivable at this point to not see a regulated device go from 3 to 6v anymore.

Sucker_dad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
topeka, ks, USA
I have been dripping a bit more than a month now and I am currently using spinners and an Itaste vv 3.0 I have everything cranked to it's highest potential. I have never had an issue on a dripper with dry hits unless I let it run dry. The cotton keeps up with anything I want to vape. Although if I let it get dry and take a huge lung hit which is how I do it then DAMN it is nasty.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
It depends on what kind of vape one perfers along with the juice they like. Most of my juices taste best at 3.3 with a 1.8 ohm head but one I like better at 3.7 volts with 2.2 ohms. I don't like a warm vape either so even if a juice didn't taste best for me at 3.3 or 3.7 I wouldn't vape it. A warm vape gives me a sore throat. I do like TH but not a knock yer socks off one.

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
I have been dripping a bit more than a month now and I am currently using spinners and an Itaste vv 3.0 I have everything cranked to it's highest potential. I have never had an issue on a dripper with dry hits unless I let it run dry. The cotton keeps up with anything I want to vape. Although if I let it get dry and take a huge lung hit which is how I do it then DAMN it is nasty.

Can you explain what "dripping" means? thanks

CliffCavin

Nov 15, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
In the past several months I have seen more varieties of dual coil tanks and cartomizers. Most dual coil stuff does not perform very well at 4.8 volts. The typical "spinner" batteries that many of us use just don't kick out enough current to drive two coils.

Most of the dual coil carts I have seen are rated at 1.5 ohm. This means that there are actually two, three ohm coils wired in parallel. It takes quite a bit of current to power these.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
can someone explain what "dripping" mean? thanks

In this case I believe it refers to a RDA, a rebuildable dripping atomizer. Like this. There is no tank. You drip juice into it.

ETA: Here's a very good explanation of non-rebuildable dripping atomizers from The Ocelot.

Last edited:

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
I vape @ 4.8v all the time never below it I used to vape at 4.1v never above it,
you will one day vape higher volts even on low ohm coils
your mouth gets used to the heat and up it goes as well as flavor and vapor.
Some VV device cannot handle high amps and I understand why people do not like them as well as mechs
but if you get the right VV/VW mod then you can vape down to a .3ohm coil and have greater battery vape life..
Mamu has just built a capable .3, 6volt mod VV lol you can literally vape anything you can coil with it..

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
in early 2012 vaping at the excessively high volts was the trend ,some were stacking to 7.2 volts ,but stacked battery issues put an end to that

Yeah. There sure was a whole lot of hysteria and nonsense as people went off half cocked without actually knowing the circumstances regarding the back-to-back injury incidents. -- The good thing that came out of that was educated consumers demanding proper venting, hotsprings, and any other safety features possible (like the 2c fuse etc). The bad thing that came out of it was misinformed consumers thinking it's dangerous to stack batteries in all circumstances and never actually learning anything about how batteries behave in series vs parallel vs single unit. It was amazing to watch, really.

Some of us still occasionally break out a 4 ohm atty and enjoy some HV, by the way ;) HV has just as much to offer as sub-ohm and pretty close to the exact same chance of experiencing a problem... which is pretty much zero if you use quality batteries and have the normal safety features in your PV.

Sucker_dad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
topeka, ks, USA
Can you explain what "dripping" means? thanks

Sure can. Dripping is a way of vaping using an atomizer that has no tank. It is a coil and wick inside an enclosed body with a mouthpiece and an airhole. You drip a few drops at a time of your juice and hit it with power. When everything is going right it is by far the most flavorful method of vaping. Some people dislike it because it is a bit of overload. This is a typical dripper. https://www.fasttech.com/p/1447805

Also look at Ocelots explanation listed above. He is much more experienced member.

Last edited:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Ah, I remember the search for the perfect 510 atomizer. My first experience was with a lo-res 1.5 ohm "genuine Joyetech" dripper. That was in the beginning, after my horrendous experiences with all things clearo: CE4's, Stardust Redux, Vision ViVi Novas. I wanted to shoot them with a gun. Finally my mentor hooked me up with a "dripping atty". I had no idea what that was at the time, but he showed me what to do, and gosh darnit, I made it work! I dripped for a solid 5 months straight. Nothing but butterscotch. During that time I must've patronized every single vaping website there was that had "genuine Joyetech" atomizers. I didn't have VV at the time, just a 1000 mah passthrough. When I got my first VV (800 mah Kgo VV, a pos), I started learning about ohms, volts, etc. What a journey dripping was. I always made sure I had my fifty ml of butterscotch in my back pocket, plus two back-up attys, and a pocket FULL of kleenex. Talk about messy, messy times. I always reeked of butterscotch. I had to put an end to my dripping days when I almost plowed into another car while driving. I'm talking inches-from-death here. And it would've totally been my fault. That shook me up pretty hard. So then I learned about carto tanks, and never, ever, ever went back.

I still bust out an old PT and drip into my "genuine Joyetech" attys to try new flavors, or few giggles, but it never really feels the way it did back in the day over a year ago. Good times, good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread