What's happened to the hobby?

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
@Dan_V , I took the thread title to mean what has happened to all the cool, small manufacturer stuff that used to be available at (some) vape shops. A lot of that is online through Facebook, etc.. vaping has become mainstream and so suffers from the schlock factor that comes with success, endless disposables and pod mods churned out in China, which, to be fair, vape better than a lot of the stuff that used to be available. It’s not necessary to go looking far afield for a decent vape. It’s just not what we remember or want.

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
Vaping might become challenging without the Chinese megas, or at least the SEMI megas (3F, 2F, VapeSource, etc.).

12.5 years and I've stepped into a vape shop exactly twice in my life. They didn't exist when I started, so I had already forged my business friendships on the webz.

By the time I saw what the B&Ms where charging, I decided I'd just keep doing what I'd been doing. I'm still here. :)
But it was a nice day out . And I'd get home, all excited, with a new bag of goodies to try.

Tor R

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    If you can order from TEMU.com...they DO have a variety of various vaping items. Some of their names for things are kind of funny (like they are from some other vendors now), to sort of fly under the "vaping" radar. However, they are legit items as described...just as you'd buy from anywhere else...only usually MUCH cheaper! There's a minimum $10 order total to get FREE shipping, and it may take 6-10 days for you to receive your order. If they deliver your order even 1 day later than they expect to....they immediately place a $5.00 credit balance in your account.

There are quite a few of us on ECF who've been very happy ordering not only some vape items, but MANY other items, from them, too. In fact, there are a bunch of Amazon sellers who seem to be buying in bulk from TEMU, at their much lower cost...and then reselling the stuff on Amazon for much more. Even the pictures some of the Amazon sellers use are taken from TEMU's website.

I can't tell you how much $$ I've saved buying from TEMU, since I started ordering from them last June. I've received any/every order I've placed so far, and believe me... it's been a WHOLE LOT of orders! Have bought vape stuff (battery cases, heat sinks, drip tips, pre-wound coils, glass tank protectors, silicone skins for mods, etc.), pet stuff, gifts for other people, housewares, tools, electronics and supplies, some clothing and shoes, horse related items, computer and tablet related "stuff", etc., etc.

So...since the vape shop guy had no clue what you were talking about...I did a little searching on TEMU for fused clapton coils and Cotton Bacon. Here's just a few of them that I found. The links to the exact items I found are extremely long...so I just copied the exact title and pasted it below. Just copy it and paste it in the Search field on TEMU. The exact items should pop up.

10pcs/box, Nichrome Fused Clapton Coils Double/Tri/Four-Core Ni80 0.45ohm 0.31ohm 0.2ohm Premade Coil NI80 Resistances DIY Heating Wire - $3.19 for a box of 10

48pcs/set, Pre Built Coils Variety Pack - Clapton, Twisted, Fused, Alien - Premade Heating Wire for Easy DIY Vaping - It's a wheel-shaped variety pack for $2.79

10pcs/box, Prebuilt Coil Variety Pack - 8 Different Styles for Customized Heating - There are actually 16 different coils you can choose from. The Fused Clapton 0.45ohm are $1.99 for a little canister of 10 of them.

1pack, Cotton V2 2.0 Second Generation PK Dragon Cotton VCC For Rebuildable RDA RBA DIY Heating Coil Wire, Household Gadgets, Holiday Gift, Birthday Gift, Gift For Friends - The Cotton Bacon Prime and the Cotton Bacon V2 are each only $1.34 per pack.

You can find other vape items, too, by searching for Vape, Vaping, 510, 810, drip tips, etc.
    I have bought foam from Temu, is at my door much faster than AliExpress.
    Three times I have shopped, I have no complaints about Temu.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    @UncLeJunkLe but horses produce methane and according to the pseudo- science, causes the greenhouse effect and melts ice. Like ice is supposed to stay frozen forever or something. And I'm being totally sarcastic here hahaha

Beat me to the punch. ;) :lol:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    My instincts are neither to trust, nor indulge the Chinese megamarkets.

Well you're to wrong to trust trust chinese megamarkets for vape gear such as clones and fancy coils like claptons and such. The coils are likely to be crap and so are the clones. Clones on the megamarkets are usually sweatshop clones that are listed as made by "sxk' "ulton" "yftk" and such, but they usually aren't and are more often than not poorly made and barely usable, if at all. Same for coils.

I would also suggest not buying even mainstream branded vape gear from the megamarkets unless marketplaces happen to be your only avenue for vape gear, as the risk of clones is high on marketplaces. That applies to all marketplaces, even Amazon and Ebay. Any marketplace. Many of us US vapers learned that the hard way from back in the day when vape was allowed on US marketplaces. The same holds true today for batteries.

IIRC, you live in UK. UK has no shortage of reputable online shops so there's little reason to buy vape gear from marketplaces.

If ordering from China, stick with the reputable vape sites like Sourcemore and HealthCabin (for mainstream gear) and 3FVape, 2Fdeal and Shareavape (for clones and prewound coils).

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    You could have both.

Nah, why have a modern invention when I can have old school transportation? 'sides, I only have room in my garage for one or the other. Horse it is.

@UncLeJunkLe but horses produce methane and according to the pseudo- science, causes the greenhouse effect and melts ice. Like ice is supposed to stay frozen forever or something. And I'm being totally sarcastic here hahaha

yL6KJVm.jpg

Last edited:

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    Well you're to wrong to trust trust chinese megamarkets for vape gear such as clones and fancy coils like claptons and such. The coils are likely to be crap and so are the clones. Clones on the megamarkets are usually sweatshop clones that are listed as made by "sxk' "ulton" "yftk" and such, but they usually aren't and are more often than not poorly made and barely usable, if at all. Same for coils.

I would also suggest not buying even mainstream branded vape gear from the megamarkets unless marketplaces happen to be your only avenue for vape gear, as the risk of clones is high on marketplaces. That applies to all marketplaces, even Amazon and Ebay. Any marketplace. Many of us US vapers learned that the hard way from back in the day when vape was allowed on US marketplaces. The same holds true today for batteries.

IIRC, you live in UK. UK has no shortage of reputable online shops so there's little reason to buy vape gear from marketplaces.

If ordering from China, stick with the reputable vape sites like Sourcemore and HealthCabin (for mainstream gear) and 3FVape, 2Fdeal and Shareavape (for clones and prewound coils).
    Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 20.11.44.png
    :smokie:

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    You may wonder what happened to the shops you usually go to, the answer is profit and simplicity.
    Unfortunately, this applies to most shops we were used to.

Where do we go after this? Most of the shops will disappear when disposables ban, flavor ban, taxes come into effect.
    The profit and simplicity are gone with one stroke of the pen, the question is whether any of these manage to adapt, my tip is no.

In England it doesn't happen overnight, but you have a prime minister who wants his name in the history books, Rishi Sunak - the minister who introduced tobacco-free generations.

The sacrifice of three to four million Britons who vapes is a small price to pay to be written down in the history books.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    There is nothing I can't make for myself. Mamu tought me that.
    Here, try this.

When I first started vaping (2010) the handwriting was on the wall. The FDA was involved in a lawsuit, (witch they lost) and that really pizzed them off. Customs was seizing shipments, and vaping was about to end.
    So I figured that I had better figure out how to become "self sufficient" if I wanted to stay off cigarettes.

As luck would have it, there were companies that came up to the plate, with products that would last for several lifetimes.
    So I have A7 RDAs. ProVari. and Caravela mods (and carto tanks) that will last until the next century.

IMO, anyone who isn't like prepared by now has been living with their head up their a--.

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    There is nothing I can't make for myself. Mamu tought me that.
    Here, try this.

When I first started vaping (2010) the handwriting was on the wall. The FDA was involved in a lawsuit, (witch they lost) and that really pizzed them off. Customs was seizing shipments, and vaping was about to end.
    So I figured that I had better figure out how to become "self sufficient" if I wanted to stay off cigarettes.

As luck would have it, there were companies that came up to the plate, with products that would last for several lifetimes.
    So I have A7 RDAs. ProVari. and Caravela mods (and carto tanks) that will last until the next century.

IMO, anyone who isn't like prepared by now has been living with their head up their a--.
    I took one thing from your comment and decided to take a look at Caravela mods.

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    So, do you know where I could get a Provari mod in the UK? I've looked, but can't seem to find any website that sells them.

Caravela only seem to do single battery mech mods. That isn't what I'm after.

Other than that, what other mods can you recommend?

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    So, do you know where I could get a Provari mod in the UK? I've looked, but can't seem to find any website that sells them.

Caravela only seem to do single battery mech mods. That isn't what I'm after.

Other than that, what other mods can you recommend?

What are you looking for in a mod, other than no single battery mech mods?

Users who are viewing this thread