What's happened to the hobby?

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
Since it's the Easter holidays and it was a sunny day yesterday, I decided I'd go out for a stroll to my local bricks & mortar. The same one I started at, ten years ago, where I bought my first ever mechanical device...
The high end cabinet - gone. The main cabinet, full of starter kits and pod systems. The rest of the place, jam packed with disposable vapes.
Kid behind the counter came up, asked me if he could help me. I said, "I'd like some pre-made fused claptons and a pack of Cotton Bacon please."
He looked at me as though I had just stepped out of a flying saucer from Mars.

How did we get to this?

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Since it's the Easter holidays and it was a sunny day yesterday, I decided I'd go out for a stroll to my local bricks & mortar. The same one I started at, ten years ago, where I bought my first ever mechanical device...
The high end cabinet - gone. The main cabinet, full of starter kits and pod systems. The rest of the place, jam packed with disposable vapes.
Kid behind the counter came up, asked me if he could help me. I said, "I'd like some pre-made fused claptons and a pack of Cotton Bacon please."
He looked at me as though I had just stepped out of a flying saucer from Mars.

How did we get to this?

It all began in a place called Washington, DC... :-x

1712184086140.png

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
the insurrection

I believe you're supposed to always capitalize that phrase for emphasis. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, some light reading about how/what has transpired resulting in what you saw the other day. It's been a long, slow, and painful roll.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Basically, there was a move towards banning open systems, of which pod mods are a halfway house, sort of, so manufacturers started producing closed systems, ie; disposables.

Open systems are still around, but it’s a rare sight to find them in B&M’s or, at least, anything a veteran would want to use. Better luck will be had online.

The action in open systems is still ongoing in Europe and Asia, for the moment, but shoes are dropping everywhere.

American modders have started the move underground. It’s still up in the air, but I fully expect a robust response from garages all over the USA if the trend continues.

Now, what to do with all these empty disposables.. Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I fully expect a robust response from garages all over the USA if the trend continues.

..and it probably won't turn out like the good, old, "Triumph of the Nerds" days (also born from/in garages), unfortunately or fortunately, depending on one's perspective.

1712186203989.png

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
..and it probably won't turn out like the good, old, "Triumph of the Nerds" days (also born from/in garages), unfortunately or fortunately, depending on one's perspective.

View attachment 1010837

Yes, but, in many respects, it will be like the old days, with no expectations other than a better vape, you know, “For The Children..”

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
“For The Children..”

I keep waiting for the government-funded report with exactly how many we saved, with all these utterly amazing (and TOTALLY altruistic!) efforts.

~ William F. Gifford

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
Open systems are still around, but it’s a rare sight to find them in B&M’s or, at least, anything a veteran would want to use. Better luck will be had online.
Online is where I've been shopping lately. I've seen no lack of veteran supplies. It was just better when you could do this face to face. I haven't been in that shop for years. The owner hates where his business is going. He pointed to the newsagent over the road... Said he'd refused to sell the disposables to some kids that came in last week. They went over to the greengrocers opposite and scored, no problem.

It is a sad and sick state of affairs.
Now, what to do with all these empty disposables.. Be careful what you wish for.
I'm waiting for the hot weather, to hear about the first rubbish bin to explode in the street. Then again - do people who vape disposables even bother with bins...?

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
If you can order from TEMU.com...they DO have a variety of various vaping items. Some of their names for things are kind of funny (like they are from some other vendors now), to sort of fly under the "vaping" radar. However, they are legit items as described...just as you'd buy from anywhere else...only usually MUCH cheaper! There's a minimum $10 order total to get FREE shipping, and it may take 6-10 days for you to receive your order. If they deliver your order even 1 day later than they expect to....they immediately place a $5.00 credit balance in your account.

There are quite a few of us on ECF who've been very happy ordering not only some vape items, but MANY other items, from them, too. In fact, there are a bunch of Amazon sellers who seem to be buying in bulk from TEMU, at their much lower cost...and then reselling the stuff on Amazon for much more. Even the pictures some of the Amazon sellers use are taken from TEMU's website.

I can't tell you how much $$ I've saved buying from TEMU, since I started ordering from them last June. I've received any/every order I've placed so far, and believe me... it's been a WHOLE LOT of orders! Have bought vape stuff (battery cases, heat sinks, drip tips, pre-wound coils, glass tank protectors, silicone skins for mods, etc.), pet stuff, gifts for other people, housewares, tools, electronics and supplies, some clothing and shoes, horse related items, computer and tablet related "stuff", etc., etc.

So...since the vape shop guy had no clue what you were talking about...I did a little searching on TEMU for fused clapton coils and Cotton Bacon. Here's just a few of them that I found. The links to the exact items I found are extremely long...so I just copied the exact title and pasted it below. Just copy it and paste it in the Search field on TEMU. The exact items should pop up.

10pcs/box, Nichrome Fused Clapton Coils Double/Tri/Four-Core Ni80 0.45ohm 0.31ohm 0.2ohm Premade Coil NI80 Resistances DIY Heating Wire - $3.19 for a box of 10

48pcs/set, Pre Built Coils Variety Pack - Clapton, Twisted, Fused, Alien - Premade Heating Wire for Easy DIY Vaping - It's a wheel-shaped variety pack for $2.79

10pcs/box, Prebuilt Coil Variety Pack - 8 Different Styles for Customized Heating - There are actually 16 different coils you can choose from. The Fused Clapton 0.45ohm are $1.99 for a little canister of 10 of them.

1pack, Cotton V2 2.0 Second Generation PK Dragon Cotton VCC For Rebuildable RDA RBA DIY Heating Coil Wire, Household Gadgets, Holiday Gift, Birthday Gift, Gift For Friends - The Cotton Bacon Prime and the Cotton Bacon V2 are each only $1.34 per pack.

You can find other vape items, too, by searching for Vape, Vaping, 510, 810, drip tips, etc.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
My instincts are neither to trust, nor indulge TEMU.
OK... just thought I'd pass along what my own experiences with them have been and what you could get that your shop didn't have.
I personally have no vested interest in the company at all. I know there's all kinds of supposed "negative stuff" said about them on the internet. I just preferred to not believe everything I read online. So I investigated them myself, talked with people who'd been ordering from them, decided to try them, and have been nothing but pleased.

Last edited:

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
My instincts are neither to trust, nor indulge the Chinese megamarkets.
I understand your being cautious, I was in your shoes many years ago, with off-shore ordering. I've never had an issue, except what was brought on by myself, anticipating troubles. Once accustomed to the way places operate, I tended to have faith and patience. Their reliability to deliver said items went without a hitch. The savings of cutting out that middle man pays off. I'm for that.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
Almost every time you buy vape related, you're buying products from off-shore, with a middle man. Those in the know (members here) pretty much are on top of any goings on...good or bad.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Then again - do people who vape disposables even bother with bins...?

Apparently not. In this small, clean town I live in, there was a flattened disposable, the victim of a hit and run. It had been lying on the road where I take my daily walks. I got sick of seeing it, so on Monday (trash day), I picked the poor thing up and put it in the nearest trash bin. Now it will explode this summer in the landfill, rather than on a busy street.

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    Almost every time you buy vape related, you're buying products from off-shore, with a middle man. Those in the know (members here) pretty much are on top of any goings on...good or bad.
    It's not just about the cash savings, for me. Or that I have no doubt the items will arrive (eventually). I just prefer to support local businesses.

Last edited:

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    It's not just about the cash savings, for me. Or that I have no doubt the items will arrive (eventually). I just prefer to support local businesses.
    I get it. I always try to support our local brick and mortar first. However, when the businesses no longer consider me (I've lived where I am all my life) as an asset to their existence, I have no problem taking my business elsewhere. In general, if local shops don't have what I want, in-stock, and/or cannot get what I need in reasonable time, I walk.

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    I get it. I always try to support our local brick and mortar first. However, when the businesses no longer consider me (I've lived where I am all my life) as an asset to their existence, I have no problem taking my business elsewhere. In general, if local shops don't have what I want, in-stock, and/or cannot get what I need in reasonable time, I walk.

I get what you mean. I didn't want to get into the nitty-gritty of all the 'issues' surrounding TEMU as I don't want to come across as if I'm judging anyone for their choices. I don't, honestly. But I've also had to 'walk' (away) from my local B&Ms because they've lost their way now, and have tumbled down the black hole of 'yick'. At least, that's how I feel about it. But there are many small independent retailers online - some in my local town, that I feel determined to support. I can even speak to someone on the phone. And I tend to feel safer using my debit card with them. I've read a lot about TEMU and Shein. Data mining, an app that spies on you etc... I can't determine what's real and what's false - but there are just too many questions for me to feel comfortable, and I just don't have the time to dig for answers. And these low prices have the effect of making me feel suspicious. Plus, with my local guys, I can get a two day or next day turn around. Which suits me just fine. I'm simply not patient enough to deal with 10 day waiting times.

So it's a variety of factors... and just about what feels right.
    I bought a watch from a Chinese company and they were really good. Was able to email them, etc. So good, down to earth, independent Chinese companies DO exist. :)

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld

Vaping might become challenging without the Chinese megas, or at least the SEMI megas (3F, 2F, VapeSource, etc.).

12.5 years and I've stepped into a vape shop exactly twice in my life. They didn't exist when I started, so I had already forged my business friendships on the webz.

By the time I saw what the B&Ms where charging, I decided I'd just keep doing what I'd been doing. I'm still here. :)

Users who are viewing this thread