Want to get back into vaping.. need some help and advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
I love the provari (I own like 5 of them) and I have a couple of mods as well - I also quit vaping (although not for nearly as long as you) and went back to it.

A couple of things here, speaking from experience. After three years of not vaping your starting from scratch again, as far as having to readjust to vaping, most especially if you went back to smoking, even for a couple of months.

Your lungs are not going to be able to handle higher wattage vaping, you'll cough. That said, you might enjoy something that will give you a nice range, so that you can begin slowly, and move up as you readjust to vaping in general.

I would suggest either starting with a aspire zelos kit which comes with the nautilus 2 (although you will likely have to fill that tank once a day, perhaps twice on some days ) or you can get something such as the tesla nano 120, or the geekvape aegis, or perhaps the JAC which is quite popular among provari lovers, or the Pico 25 kit which comes with a lovely tank that would work nicely for you.

You don't need, and perhaps will never even desire, a mod that will do 200 watts. I use a 120 watt, two battery mod and the batteries last me 4 full days when I use nothing but that mod to vape. (I've done it so I do know). You can easily do a single battery 75 watt device and be perfectly happy.

Tanks that might work for you are the Melo 3, the Ello, The full size Nautilus, the Triton, etc.

I think I agree with Opinionated, the Zelos starter kit is a nice mod, and the N2 (though it has its quirks) is great MTL tank. As is the Melo II ,III, Triton, etc.

If you want to start sub0hming that is something you can do as WELL, but many folks who really prefer a sub0hm setup have a MTL setup for work or other stealth situations, as you can vape a higher nicotine liquid with that, and then save clouds and lower nicotine and higher VG liquid for situations where it's easy to make clouds. I think if you did start smoking, transitioning might be drying (and remember, vaping has changed some, so some of the MTL setups are more versatile and provide more vapor) so sometimes starting small can be an easier transition. Plus, you will have a backup if your gear breaks... Would hate to see you have to start over X3. By the way I have some provaris, but I got an aspire zelos 75 watt TC (you don't need that necessarily, they make a 50 watt non TC for cheaper) as my backup vape and I really enjoy the size, the vape quality, and the form factor. I use it enough that I'm not sure it's really a backup vape anymore, LOL.

Anna

You two are making interesting points.
The MTL and DTL aspect is probably what is most weird and confusing to me right now.
I guess back when I vaped everything was MTL?
I think I will head on over to a local vape shop on Monday before pulling the trigger on a setup.
I expect most shops have spare drip tips and let people try out setups before buying.
I will try both and see what suits me best.

Since mods do both and it is dependent on the coil resistance I will chose a tank to go with it after having tried both.
I do like the fact that the smok alien has 200 watts though as if I end up eventually wanting more power to do DL it will be able to. 75 watts might also be sufficient for DL vaping so the aspire zelos might be a good catch. They are about the same price.
If I end up wanting a MTL tank I will probably try the nautilus 2 as a few people have mentioned it already.
If I decide to go DTL I will probably pick up a OBS Engine or try the TFV8 if I go the smok route.
I will also pick up a Velocity V2 clone.

SO much to learn.. exciting times to be a vaper! :p

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm glad you are asking these questions ahead of time, and I think visiting a vape emporium might be a good plan to get a feel for how the equipment has changed.

Just by the way, if you decide on a smok mod, you can put either a sub0hm setup on there, OR a MTL tank, so it might be more cost effective to start, if you think you will be sub0hming some of the time, with a two battery mod.

A lot has changed, so since you are considering a two battery setup, be aware that you probably want two sets of married batteries and an external charger (charging via USB takes time, and also it is not considered best practice as sometimes batteries don't charge evenly.) Make sure you get batteries from a reputable vendor, and I'm going to link you to ECF's resident battery expert's blog, so you can get a sense of what are good vendors, what are good chargers, and what are safe batteries....Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

In it, you'll find a list of "approved" batteries that aren't rewraps, as well as vendors (I am partial to IMRBatteries but there are lots of good vendors) and make sure you don't buy rewrapped batteries as there is no way to know what is on the label, and etc.

Good luck, have fun at the vape shop!

Anna

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
I'm glad you are asking these questions ahead of time, and I think visiting a vape emporium might be a good plan to get a feel for how the equipment has changed.

Just by the way, if you decide on a smok mod, you can put either a sub0hm setup on there, OR a MTL tank, so it might be more cost effective to start, if you think you will be sub0hming some of the time, with a two battery mod.

A lot has changed, so since you are considering a two battery setup, be aware that you probably want two sets of married batteries and an external charger (charging via USB takes time, and also it is not considered best practice as sometimes batteries don't charge evenly.) Make sure you get batteries from a reputable vendor, and I'm going to link you to ECF's resident battery expert's blog, so you can get a sense of what are good vendors, what are good chargers, and what are safe batteries....Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

In it, you'll find a list of "approved" batteries that aren't rewraps, as well as vendors (I am partial to IMRBatteries but there are lots of good vendors) and make sure you don't buy rewrapped batteries as there is no way to know what is on the label, and etc.

Good luck, have fun at the vape shop!

Anna

I used to use AW IMR 18650 protected batteries, those should do the trick right?
My friend suggested batteries from IMR so I guess I will go there since you are vouching for them as well.
He suggested the Samsung 25r.
Only thing is they don't seem to be protected but the regulated mods usually are.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I used to use AW IMR 18650 protected batteries, those should do the trick right?

Not these days my freind. Those are only used in provaris now.

Nope, if your planning on a sub ohm type mod (anything over 30 watts) first you need flat top batteries, the LG h2 is good for battery life these days, the Sony vct5 or 6 for higher wattage vaping, or the Samsung 25r's are fine too.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, with a two battery mod, you will probably be shocked at battery life. You want flat tops, not button tops, but look at Mooch's chart and you will begin to get the picture LG h2 is a good battery, and I am also partial to Samsungs. I have one Sony. All purchased from IMR batteries.... Your charger, depending on its age, may work for that type of battery though, if you have one. You can check (usually on the back) what batteries it will charge....

Anna

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
Not these days my freind. Those are only used in provaris now.

Nope, if your planning on a sub ohm type mod (anything over 30 watts) first you need flat top batteries, the LG h2 is good for battery life these days, the Sony vct5 or 6 for higher wattage vaping, or the Samsung 25r's are fine too.

Ok, I will look at the Sony vct5 or 6 since I don't know if I will use high wattage eventually. Better safe than sorry.

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
Yes, with a two battery mod, you will probably be shocked at battery life. You want flat tops, not button tops, but look at Mooch's chart and you will begin to get the picture LG h2 is a good battery, and I am also partial to Samsungs. I have one Sony. All purchased from IMR batteries.... Your charger, depending on its age, may work for that type of battery though, if you have one. You can check (usually on the back) what batteries it will charge....

Anna

Battery life should be about the same no ? I used to have an extension on my provari so it could take 2 x 18650's.

Reactions: stols001

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Ok, I will look at the SOny vct5 or 6 since I don't know if I will use high wattage eventually. Better safe than sorry.

If I were you I would go with the LG h2's..

I'm serious. What is considered sub ohm or high wattage these days was not even heard of when you were vaping.

The LG h2 will take you high... like higher than heard of when you were vaping. (60 watts per battery i believe but check with @Mooch on that)

My son uses the Sony's to vape over a hundred watts... something that absolutely makes me feel like I'm dying.

Vaping even at lower watts has so improved as to be much different than when you were vaping.

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
If I were you I would go with the LG h2's..

I'm serious. What is considered sub ohm or high wattage these days was not even heard of when you were vaping.

The LG h2 will take you high... like higher than heard of when you were vaping. (60 watts per battery i believe but check with @Mooch on that)

My son uses the Sony's to vape over a hundred watts... something that absolutely makes me feel like I'm dying.

Vaping even at lower watts has so improved as to be much different than when you were vaping.

Ok, I will try the LG H2 then.
Once I get around to finally choosing what setup I go with and everything I will order and update you guys!
Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my noobish questions :)

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Hi everyone!

So I have not been on here in quite a while.
In fact I had been smoke/vape free for the last 3 years.
Unfortunately I started smoking cigarettes again 2 months ago and now I am back at almost a pack a day.
Starting to feel the bad effects of it, getting constantly out of breath and having a constant sore throat.
I am pretty disapointed in myself tbh... and I feel like I have been hooked again.
I want to switch back to vaping like I did in the past.
It really helped me back then. By gradually cutting down on nicotine doses I ended up quitting the first time.

Oh boy, how the vaping world has changed.
I used to sport a Provari V2 with a tank that I would use with cartomizers I punched myself.
I would mix up my own liquids with nic liquid from rts vapes that I would mix with vg flavorings from a place I don't remember.

To my surprise Provape doesn't exist anymore, box mods seem to be all the rage now and I can't recognize any of the companies that reviews are linking to.
I feel like I need to start all over again, and 3 years ago I knew my .....
I would even build my own atomizers with a custom tank from a greek fellow.(He used to make the GG mechanical mods)

So yeah, looking for some advice on what to buy and where.
Like I said, I am not a beginner so I would be looking for a more advanced mod.
Money isn't really an issue.
I would like to have a good all around starter kit then start fidling in making my own ejuices and stuff again.
Can someone get me up to speed on these new tanks ? They seem so different now..

Thank you for your time and patience!
Sounds like me, Quitting , then going back.
If you like a big cloud and want to rebuild easily you might like this.>
$11.28 Authentic Wotofo Sapor RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 2ml / stainless steel + glass / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Just got this yesterday and I have to say its the best RTA I own to date:
As for a mod, keep it simple and cheap will work fine.
$32.88 Authentic Eleaf iStick Power 80W 5000mAh TC VW APV Mod (Wood Grain) - 1-80W / 100-315'C(200-600'F) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
This should have enough power to last the day, and you won't be needing batteries and charger.
Hope this was helpful.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hmm interesting... I just looked up the dna mod. Seems like DNA mods are made by evolv who used to make the Darwin which was widely considered one of the best mods when I used to vape. Interesting to see they are still around but now making mod boards that are used by other companies...

A friend of mine just suggested using a Velocity RDA clone for dripping.
I think I will grab one up.

Now I want to look around and see what is available as far as RDA tanks, so I can have situations covered.
I will def be looking into the kayfun rebuildables.
I’m rather fond of my pharoh25. It’s absolutely a DL tank though. The velocity will both DL and MTL so you can decide if DL is interesting to you or not before spending money on DL gear

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Battery life should be about the same no ? I used to have an extension on my provari so it could take 2 x 18650's.
I thought I knew all provari's, but one that took 2 18650's is one I don't remember

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
I thought I knew all provari's, but one that took 2 18650's is one I don't remember

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You are correct. I looked it up afterwards and I was wrong.
The extension cap only gave me the possibility to use a 18650 instead of a 18500

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
@Krang ... About nine months ago, I was right where you are now. Coming back to vaping after a long hiatus and absolutely overwhelmed with the growth of both technology and terminology. I relapsed to combustibles in late 2014, when anything with variable wattage over 15 Watts was considered a fad, a coil resistance less that 1.5 Ohms was considered dangerous and adjustable airflow was something those dripper types used.

I can't tell you what to do or what to shop for. I can only tell you what finally worked for me. I completely quit combustible tobacco three months ago yesterday. It was sub-Ohm, direct lung vaping at 35 to 40-ish Watts that made me literally forget to go out for a smoke.

I used to use variable voltage eGo style devices and two Vamo VV/VW 15 Watt mods. I still have and occasionally use the mods but my main rotation now consists of five Eleaf Pico 75 box mods, a Pico Dual 200 and a Smoant Battlestar 200. I have an Eleaf Ikonn 200 on the way.

I used to use Protank II's, Kamry X10 tanks and Evod clearomizers. My main atomizers are now Kanger Subtank Minis, Toptank Minis, a Vaporesso Estoc Mega and and two Eleaf Melo III tanks.

Rebuildables are creeping back onto my screen (long story there), and I'm using a Battlestar RTA, an old Goblin RTA, RBA heads for the Kangers and the Eleafs and two tanks that I consider "pain in the ...." projects to build and wick.

When I got back into vaping earlier this year, I tried to go back to the mouth-to-lung style I'd used ca. 2013-14 and it just wasn't getting it done for me. I bought my first Pico and Subtank Mini and never looked back. The lungs-full of warm vapor took the place of a throat hit from higher nic juice. That setup was all the power and versatility I was looking for. DL? Check. MTL? Check. Temperature Control? Check. Rebuildable atomizer? Check.

Rebuildable, DL, 40 Watt Temp control? Vaping it as I type.

I have tried (I think) about 14 different tanks, including tanks from Aspire, Joyetech, Smok, Geekvape, Anyvape and Uwell. I have tried mods from most of those same outfits, too. I keep going back to the Eleafs and now the Battlestar combo.

Again, I ain't gonna tell ya what to do. But I've never gone three straight months without needing a cigarette since I was a virgin, and my lighters are used now for birthday candles and barbecue.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    You two are making interesting points.
    The MTL and DTL aspect is probably what is most weird and confusing to me right now.

I guess back when I vaped everything was MTL?
    I think I will head on over to a local vape shop on Monday before pulling the trigger on a setup.
    I expect most shops have spare drip tips and let people try out setups before buying.
    I will try both and see what suits me best.

Since mods do both and it is dependent on the coil resistance I will chose a tank to go with it after having tried both.
    I do like the fact that the smok alien has 200 watts though as if I end up eventually wanting more power to do DL it will be able to. 75 watts might also be sufficient for DL vaping so the aspire zelos might be a good catch. They are about the same price.
    If I end up wanting a MTL tank I will probably try the nautilus 2 as a few people have mentioned it already.
    If I decide to go DTL I will probably pick up a OBS Engine or try the TFV8 if I go the smok route.
    I will also pick up a Velocity V2 clone.

SO much to learn.. exciting times to be a vaper! :p

As you look around you will find the the market has started to swing back to MTL products.
    The good news is that there is a never ending supply of things to try, and the most important thing is to just have fun finding what you like.

I'm not the one to ask about the new stuff though (got a 50 year supply of Boge cartos stashed away)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    When I started vaping I went the mtl route and was just frustrated. Wasn't until I stumbled across dtl that the possibility of quitting smoking seemed possible. Had my 2 year quit anniversary in May, my 3 year vaping anniversary is next month. Just my story, you'll find your own path.

WerkzINC2017

Oct 16, 2017
    Also a mistake I made when starting back up is trying high nic content like 18mg these new tanks deliver nicotine way more efficient than they used to. At least for me I got very sick with anything over 6mg for a dl setup and 12mg was too much even for mtl with some of those new tanks out. Just trying to save you the headache of buying juice you can't vape like i did lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread