Status
Not open for further replies.

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
Hi everyone!

So I have not been on here in quite a while.
In fact I had been smoke/vape free for the last 3 years.
Unfortunately I started smoking cigarettes again 2 months ago and now I am back at almost a pack a day.
Starting to feel the bad effects of it, getting constantly out of breath and having a constant sore throat.
I am pretty disapointed in myself tbh... and I feel like I have been hooked again.
I want to switch back to vaping like I did in the past.
It really helped me back then. By gradually cutting down on nicotine doses I ended up quitting the first time.

Oh boy, how the vaping world has changed.
I used to sport a Provari V2 with a tank that I would use with cartomizers I punched myself.
I would mix up my own liquids with nic liquid from rts vapes that I would mix with vg flavorings from a place I don't remember.

To my surprise Provape doesn't exist anymore, box mods seem to be all the rage now and I can't recognize any of the companies that reviews are linking to.
I feel like I need to start all over again, and 3 years ago I knew my .....
I would even build my own atomizers with a custom tank from a greek fellow.(He used to make the GG mechanical mods)

So yeah, looking for some advice on what to buy and where.
Like I said, I am not a beginner so I would be looking for a more advanced mod.
Money isn't really an issue.
I would like to have a good all around starter kit then start fidling in making my own ejuices and stuff again.
Can someone get me up to speed on these new tanks ? They seem so different now..

Thank you for your time and patience!

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Welcome back :) yeah e-cigarettes are where automobiles were in the 1920s. Constant innovation and hundreds of companies that come and go.

Provaris are now sought after items of quasi cult status ironically. If you want to MTL (mouth to lung) vape, or what you were doing before you’ve still got a great mod. This is differentiated from DL (direct lung) which are the people who blow gigantic clouds and go through dozens of ml of juice a day at really low nic levels.
Most box mods will do both. New innovations that are somewhat interesting include stainless steel temperature control (TC) which allows you to control the max temp of the coil and avoid burning wicks.

So basically if you’ve still got it your old gear is still good. If not, or you just want to try the new stuff I’d say a eleaf pico or aspire speeder are good reliable box mods. I’d personally avoid the whole drop in cartridge scene. They get expensive and you already know how to use regular coils which imho are superior to begin with. As to which atty that will depend on if you want to keep MTL or try DL.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Agreed, if wanting to still vape MTL there is nothing wrong with still using your provari. If you are looking for more clouds and vapor, a 2 box mod that can go to much higher wattages might be useful. Tanks have come a long way since cartos, there are some nice MTL tanks on the market, you might look into a new MTL tank (the nautilus 2 is popular, if you like something a bit more airy I am partial to the Nicolas Vapefly tank. You could buy a new tank for your provari and a sub0hm setup if you want some variety, I suppose. Tons of options, might be worth checking out the VW/VW boards if you want some feedback from real life members using these setups.

Best of luck and I hope you are able to find a way to make vaping work for you again. New isn't always better...

Anna

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
Welcome back :) yeah e-cigarettes are where automobiles were in the 1920s. Constant innovation and hundreds of companies that come and go.

Provaris are now sought after items of quasi cult status ironically. If you want to MTL (mouth to lung) vape, or what you were doing before you’ve still got a great mod. This is differentiated from DL (direct lung) which are the people who blow gigantic clouds and go through dozens of ml of juice a day at really low nic levels.
Most box mods will do both. New innovations that are somewhat interesting include stainless steel temperature control (TC) which allows you to control the max temp of the coil and avoid burning wicks.

So basically if you’ve still got it your old gear is still good. If not, or you just want to try the new stuff I’d say a eleaf pico or aspire speeder are good reliable box mods. I’d personally avoid the whole drop in cartridge scene. They get expensive and you already know how to use regular coils which imho are superior to begin with. As to which atty that will depend on if you want to keep MTL or try DL.

Hi, thanks for the reply!
I actually have to start all over as I got rid of my provari and all my equipment when I stopped 3 years back. I had a friend at work that was starting into vaping and he had a crappy ego-c. I decided to give him all my equipment as I was not planning on going back to it.... (seems dumb now that I look back at it) At the time I felt like vaping had helped me so much that I wanted it to help him as well and didn't think twice about it. I kind of regret it now, as I probably gave him well over 1k worth of equipment that I could now use.. but hey... at least I helped a friend in need.

If I were to describe my smoking habits, I would say I am more of a DL kind of guys. I usually don't keep cigarette smoke in my mouth, I just straight up inhale to my lungs to smoke as quickly as possible and is what I used to do with my ecig also. I used to mix my liquid at 24 mg and would use the ecig non stop. Then I gradually went down from there. 24-18-12-6-4-0.

I am not looking to go the cartridge route. In fact the only thing I kind of disliked about vaping back in the day was dealing with cartomizers, cartridges, leaking tanks, dripping (which is now called squonking or something? wth?!) as I felt it was too much of an hassle and after spending time building my own atty it would end up tasting burnt after half a day or less.

I guess as far as tank/atomizers go I am looking for something that will provide me with a good reserve of ejuice (not having to refill it every other hour), that is easy to set up (don't mind rebuilding as long as it is fairly quick and simple), that won't taste burnt after a few vapes and that won't leak. The more clouds I get the better also, always loved them clouds. I find the TC feature interesting, defenitly something I am going to look into.

Any places make decent juices now ? Back in the day I preferred making my own as what I usually bought was disapointing.

I have been looking at reviews and people seem to like the SMOK alien.
As far as I can remember SMOK tek (or something like that) was not very good back in the day but they now seem to be selling the most popular box mods. Are they really this good now ?

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
They are popular for what they deliver, many bells and whistles for a decent price point. They don't do TC very well, but for wattage only, a lot of folks like them. They've had some QC issues of late that seem to be subsiding, but I would still check out the warranty period and work with a vendor that gets good reviews for working with buyers, but that's not necessarily a reason not to buy such a setup, and they will certainly be DL. Lots of choices (tanks and mods) although there are many other choices besides smok. I am a MTL vaper so I won't try to get into recommendations though I am sure you will get some...

Anna

Reactions: Krang

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Heathers heavenly vapes for juice, either a kayfun mini v3 or the new kayfun prime and a jac vapour dna 75 mod. The kayfuns are rebuildables, so you would have to do your own coils, but the vape is incredible and better then any tank with pre made coils. You can go the pre made coil route, although buying those coils do add up compared to doing your own, and although the vape is good, not as good as a kayfun...the nautilus series is very good for premades...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
Heathers heavenly vapes for juice, either a kayfun mini v3 or the new kayfun prime and a jac vapour dna 75 mod. The kayfuns are rebuildables, so you would have to do your own coils, but the vape is incredible and better then any tank with pre made coils. You can go the pre made coil route, although buying those coils do add up compared to doing your own, and although the vape is good, not as good as a kayfun...the nautilus series is very good for premades...

Hmm interesting... I just looked up the dna mod. Seems like DNA mods are made by evolv who used to make the Darwin which was widely considered one of the best mods when I used to vape. Interesting to see they are still around but now making mod boards that are used by other companies...

A friend of mine just suggested using a Velocity RDA clone for dripping.
I think I will grab one up.

Now I want to look around and see what is available as far as RDA tanks, so I can have situations covered.
I will def be looking into the kayfun rebuildables.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Most DNA mods are great at TC, and great generally, though it would probably be useful to take a look at the ones folks really like, but yes generally those will be of a higher quality than a smok mod. They Kayfuns are great, some more so than others for MTL, I'd say if you want an airier draw, you might actually like the Kayfun 5, but really they are all adjustable to a degree and the KPrime is getting some really good reviews.

Having a DNA mod will allow you to try TC pretty accurately, if that's something you are interested in. I do think a DNA mod overall has a much lower likelihood of giving you issues, especially if you get one that's well regarded, and it's probably worth the investment if you really want to get back into vaping. I hope it works out for you. :)

Anna

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Hmm interesting... I just looked up the dna mod. Seems like DNA mods are made by evolv who used to make the Darwin which was widely considered one of the best mods when I used to vape. Interesting to see they are still around but now making mod boards that are used by other companies...

A friend of mine just suggested using a Velocity RDA clone for dripping.
I think I will grab one up.

Now I want to look around and see what is available as far as RDA tanks, so I can have situations covered.
I will def be looking into the kayfun rebuildables.
Yes the darwin started it all off for evolve and they are one of the biggest in the game. . Whatever tank you buy, just think of airflow, if your use to mtl draws, you might find alot of these newer rda's and rta's much different. If you purchase a new tank that has big airflow, you basically have to change the way you draw to direct to lung and even change nic levels

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
Most DNA mods are great at TC, and great generally, though it would probably be useful to take a look at the ones folks really like, but yes generally those will be of a higher quality than a smok mod. They Kayfuns are great, some more so than others for MTL, I'd say if you want an airier draw, you might actually like the Kayfun 5, but really they are all adjustable to a degree and the KPrime is getting some really good reviews.

Having a DNA mod will allow you to try TC pretty accurately, if that's something you are interested in. I do think a DNA mod overall has a much lower likelihood of giving you issues, especially if you get one that's well regarded, and it's probably worth the investment if you really want to get back into vaping. I hope it works out for you. :)

Anna

Thank you for all the great info and support Anna!

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
Yes the darwin started it all off for evolve and they are one of the biggest in the game. . Whatever tank you buy, just think of airflow, if your use to mtl draws, you might find alot of these newer rda's and rta's much different. If you purchase a new tank that has big airflow, you basically have to change the way you draw to direct to lung and even change nic levels

Ok I will look into it.
Most seem to have adjustable draw.
I am really considering the smok t-priv or alien as they come in a convenient package with everything I need.
Gonna start looking up the TFV8 Baby RDA to see how it performs and how easy it is to set up.

I know I will probably end up buying something better and more expensive down the line but I wanna start small and test out stuff before going too big, which is not a bad thing cause eventually I will probably need a backup mod anyway.

I will definitely be making my eliquid myself like I used to. I used to save allot of money this way. So if there is too much draw I will make them weaker.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Since you are looking for dtl tanks take a look at OBS Engine (dual coil) and Engine Nano (single coil) rtas. Both hold 5ml and worry free. Top af and easy build/wick decks. If you want larger capacity rta look at the Aromamizer line of tanks by Steam Crave. I would skip Smok mods, qc issues. Look a Smoant mods or Lost Vape DNA mods. Evolve only makes the DNA chips.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Ok I will look into it.
Most seem to have adjustable draw.
I am really considering the smok t-priv or alien as they come in a convenient package with everything I need.
Gonna start looking up the TFV8 Baby RDA to see how it performs and how easy it is to set up.

I know I will probably end up buying something better and more expensive down the line but I wanna start small and test out stuff before going too big, which is not a bad thing cause eventually I will probably need a backup mod anyway.

I will definitely be making my eliquid myself like I used to. I used to save allot of money this way. So if there is too much draw I will make them weaker.

The mod obviously doesn't matter as it will do both, but I believe the baby rda is for direct lung inhales. Yes they have adjusted AF, but a DL sub ohm tank won't give you a mtl vape, totally different. I don't own any smok products, so not 100 percent sure, but I think all their stuff is sub ohm DL vaping. The only way you will know, is to try, maybe you will enjoy it more, but if you do get something for DL inhaling, it does take time and a little practice to actually inhale it straight into lungs. ...good luck my friend

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I am an ex-pipe smoker and an MTL vapor, so not much to offer as far as gear. I do try an unofficial equipment of the year poll (currently running) and a company called eleafworld has really caught the vaping market by storm the last couple of years. The Pico is their best seller.
Original Eleaf iStick Pico 75W TC Box Mod -$26.08 Online Shopping| GearBest.com
This little mod is inexpensive and a good starting point as it can be used multiple ways- TC, Power, VW, etc.
The OBS Engine has been mentioned, and many love it for DTL Vaping
Obs Engine Best Deals + Online Shopping | GearBest.com
I always tell people you have to enjoy vaping to stay with it- so get yourself some e-liquids you love. I am mostly DIY now, but Heather's Heavenly Vapes makes delicious flavors. Not cheap, not not as ridiculously priced as some of the so-called "Gourmet Vendors". And you said money is not a problem.
Heather’s Heavenly Vapes, Top Quality Custom E-Liquids
Good Luck on your return to Vaping !

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hi, thanks for the reply!
I actually have to start all over as I got rid of my provari and all my equipment when I stopped 3 years back. I had a friend at work that was starting into vaping and he had a crappy ego-c. I decided to give him all my equipment as I was not planning on going back to it.... (seems dumb now that I look back at it) At the time I felt like vaping had helped me so much that I wanted it to help him as well and didn't think twice about it. I kind of regret it now, as I probably gave him well over 1k worth of equipment that I could now use.. but hey... at least I helped a friend in need.

If I were to describe my smoking habits, I would say I am more of a DL kind of guys. I usually don't keep cigarette smoke in my mouth, I just straight up inhale to my lungs to smoke as quickly as possible and is what I used to do with my ecig also. I used to mix my liquid at 24 mg and would use the ecig non stop. Then I gradually went down from there. 24-18-12-6-4-0.

I am not looking to go the cartridge route. In fact the only thing I kind of disliked about vaping back in the day was dealing with cartomizers, cartridges, leaking tanks, dripping (which is now called squonking or something? wth?!) as I felt it was too much of an hassle and after spending time building my own atty it would end up tasting burnt after half a day or less.

I guess as far as tank/atomizers go I am looking for something that will provide me with a good reserve of ejuice (not having to refill it every other hour), that is easy to set up (don't mind rebuilding as long as it is fairly quick and simple), that won't taste burnt after a few vapes and that won't leak. The more clouds I get the better also, always loved them clouds. I find the TC feature interesting, defenitly something I am going to look into.

Any places make decent juices now ? Back in the day I preferred making my own as what I usually bought was disapointing.

I have been looking at reviews and people seem to like the SMOK alien.
As far as I can remember SMOK tek (or something like that) was not very good back in the day but they now seem to be selling the most popular box mods. Are they really this good now ?

I love the provari (I own like 5 of them) and I have a couple of mods as well - I also quit vaping (although not for nearly as long as you) and went back to it.

A couple of things here, speaking from experience. After three years of not vaping your starting from scratch again, as far as having to readjust to vaping, most especially if you went back to smoking, even for a couple of months.

Your lungs are not going to be able to handle higher wattage vaping, you'll cough. That said, you might enjoy something that will give you a nice range, so that you can begin slowly, and move up as you readjust to vaping in general.

I would suggest either starting with a aspire zelos kit which comes with the nautilus 2 (although you will likely have to fill that tank once a day, perhaps twice on some days ) or you can get something such as the tesla nano 120, or the geekvape aegis, or perhaps the JAC which is quite popular among provari lovers, or the Pico 25 kit which comes with a lovely tank that would work nicely for you.

You don't need, and perhaps will never even desire, a mod that will do 200 watts. I use a 120 watt, two battery mod and the batteries last me 4 full days when I use nothing but that mod to vape. (I've done it so I do know). You can easily do a single battery 75 watt device and be perfectly happy.

Tanks that might work for you are the Melo 3, the Ello, The full size Nautilus, the Triton, etc.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think I agree with Opinionated, the Zelos starter kit is a nice mod, and the N2 (though it has its quirks) is great MTL tank. As is the Melo II ,III, Triton, etc.

If you want to start sub0hming that is something you can do as WELL, but many folks who really prefer a sub0hm setup have a MTL setup for work or other stealth situations, as you can vape a higher nicotine liquid with that, and then save clouds and lower nicotine and higher VG liquid for situations where it's easy to make clouds. I think if you did start smoking, transitioning might be drying (and remember, vaping has changed some, so some of the MTL setups are more versatile and provide more vapor) so sometimes starting small can be an easier transition. Plus, you will have a backup if your gear breaks... Would hate to see you have to start over X3. By the way I have some provaris, but I got an aspire zelos 75 watt TC (you don't need that necessarily, they make a 50 watt non TC for cheaper) as my backup vape and I really enjoy the size, the vape quality, and the form factor. I use it enough that I'm not sure it's really a backup vape anymore, LOL.

Anna

Paul Mohr

Oct 28, 2017
Adrian MI
A direct lung hit from a lower ohm high wattage device with an open draw atty is NOT the same thing as directly inhaling on a cigarette, trust me lol. If you were using a provari with a carto tank it was at fairly low wattage, with a higher ohm coil and very restrictive draw. I remember those days well my friend. I couldn't afford a provari though, I had a segelie v3 instead.

There is no shortage of high quality expensive mods on the market if that is what interests you. Just keep in mind some of them you are paying a higher price because of who makes them, or they are custom, or they are hard to get. Functionality wise they probably are not any better than most of the other good mods on the market. There are not that many people making decent chips now a days. More than 3 or 4 years ago for sure, but still not really that many. Hopefully with a more expensive mod you will get better build quality though.

I would suggest taking a look at a SX mini. Very well built, classy devices, and they are not overly expensive either. I don't know how hard they are to find though. I have seen recent posts where people have found them though. Another option that sounds good for you would be a Zen if he is still making mods.

The nice thing about most newer tanks is they have adjustable air flow now. I suggest getting something geared more towards the mouth to lung vaper. Then if you decide you want to try direct lung you can open the air flow and get a less restricted draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread