Need some advise please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dthor68

Dec 30, 2018
Greer, SC
I started vaping a couple weeks ago to help me quit dipping. Believe it or not, it is working. Anyway, I have been using the Juul with mint pods. All of a sudden there are no mint pods anywhere, so I had to buy regular tobacco flavor. It is nasty! Looks like Juul is pulling all the flavors because so many kids are using.

So, I am looking to buy a regular vape that I can add juice to. I am looking for something like the Juul, I guess you call it mouth to lung? I have been trying to research this stuff and did come up with a unit called the KangerTech Top Evod. They are cheap, not sure how they hold up. Any advise would be helpful. Also, when buying the juice what nicotine content would best match the Juul? I would like to start out equal with the Juul and drop nicotine over time.

Thanks for any help,
Derek

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
OK. Difficult questions and I may not be able to help much, but maybe I can help direct your research a little.

I don't know the nicotine conversion of dipping vs smoking vs vaping. For smokers hoping to convert to vaping we generally recommend:

For e-liquid, the typical nicotine recommendations are generally determined by how much you smoked, and are as follows:

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
1 ppd = 12 mg
1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
2 ppd = 24 mg

Should you choose to use a sub-ohm juice attachment (coil less than 1.0 ohm); drop the above recommendations by half.

Not sure if that helps you much.
I don't know if Juul is discontinuing flavors or not. I would think, "I don't think so." I believe the FDA is demanding that the e-liquid pods be sold either online or in vape shops, and not in gas stations or convenience stores. There are other pod systems from other manufacturers available other than the Juul. Some allow you to add your own e-liquid of choice, which I feel is a huge plus:

As far as mod systems other than a pod or Juul, read this:

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

The Innokin Kroma/Zenith starter setup is the one most recommended on this forum.

Innokin Kroma-A with Zenith Starter Kit
List Price: $49.99
star4.5.gif
(40)

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I started vaping a couple weeks ago to help me quit dipping. Believe it or not, it is working. Anyway, I have been using the Juul with mint pods. All of a sudden there are no mint pods anywhere, so I had to buy regular tobacco flavor. It is nasty! Looks like Juul is pulling all the flavors because so many kids are using.

So, I am looking to buy a regular vape that I can add juice to. I am looking for something like the Juul, I guess you call it mouth to lung? I have been trying to research this stuff and did come up with a unit called the KangerTech Top Evod. They are cheap, not sure how they hold up. Any advise would be helpful. Also, when buying the juice what nicotine content would best match the Juul? I would like to start out equal with the Juul and drop nicotine over time.

Thanks for any help,
Derek
If you're going to go the route of a tank & mod, like the Evod, I agree that the Innokin Zenith/Kroma tank seems to be the most recommended starter on this forum. Innokin makes good products.

@Baditude gave you some good advice and links to check out.
If you want to stay with pod systems, I've tried a few other than Juul:

Vaporesso Zero - nice unit, but I didn't like the draw activation on it. I like a slower draw, and this one made you hit pretty hard and fast to work. But if you're used to Juul, you'd probably like it. Finding replacement pods won't be as easy as Juul's...but then nobody's are.

Smok Infinix - hits really nice. I didn't own it, but tried it. I liked the vape on it better than the Juul. But Smok products are notorious for poor qc.

Innokin EQ - currently using this one. Requires pushing a button to fire, but a very flexible system. Innokin's been around quite a while and has a good rep, so finding pods should be easier than most.

HCigar Akso - I recently won this one, and really like it. First time I ever liked a flavor other than tobacco- it came with an Ice Mint that's very tasty and satisfying. Very much like a Juul, only seems better made. Only problem is, right now, pods will be harder to find for this one. It's brand new, and I'm not sure how many will carry it and the pods. I know because I like it enough that I'm actually going to buy some, and started looking. Available at HeavenGifts, and a couple other places. Interestingly, you can buy pre-filled pods, or empty ones that you can fill once then throw away.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The juul usually uses a shockingly powerful 50mg nic salt juice. They also have a 35mg/ml juice. I would suggest trying a 35mg/ml and if that just won’t work for you go up to 50, though personally I suspect it will be fine.

The kroma-a with the zenith tank is a very good mod. It’s a great deal larger than the juul though. The upside is it provides much better vape quality for a much longer time.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I have been trying to research this stuff and did come up with a unit called the KangerTech Top Evod. They are cheap, not sure how they hold up. Any advise would be helpful.

I have several of them that I still use every now and then, even though I have a big variety of bigger and/or more powerful mods and many different tanks. I've had zero problems from them at all! The topfill is super easy, changing the coil is easy, and the coils themselves are also very inexpensive for a box of 5. I think that's a great choice for you...especially since you just started vaping and have been using something small...a Juul. The TopEvod Kit's got the same mAh battery as a Juul does, too.

I just helped 2 other people start vaping about 3 weeks ago...and after trying a few different kits I have, both of them chose the KangerTech TopEvod Kits as the ones they wanted to use. I've checked in with them since then, and both are still liking them and are loving vaping! Neither has had any problems with them and both like that they're so darn easy to use, replace a coil, fill with eliquid, etc. :thumbs:

Last edited:

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
The "pod" type system I like is the Aspire Nautilus AIO. It is refillable, uses Nautilus coils, adjustable airflow, 1000 mAh battery and 4.5mil tank. Can use nic salts or regular liquid. Relatively cheap and the coils are available everywhere. Needs a needle top bottle for easy refilling.

I think the juul uses really high nicotine (like 36mg I believe) but I would not use that high a nic in any other device. 12-18 mg should be enough in most devices used today.

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I don't have experience with pods but when I was researching them for personal use the aspire breeze 2 or the nautilus aio system as mentioned above came out on top for me. The coils or replacement pods are readily available and I believe you can refill them both with juice of your choosing.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I think the juul uses really high nicotine (like 36mg I believe) but I would not use that high a nic in any other device. 12-18 mg should be enough in most devices used today.

One of the reasons the Juul uses such high nicotine juice is because it's lower-powered than a lot of the alternatives. That's why, as @Grimwald says, you might want to lower your nicotine level if you switch to another device. More vapour + lower nicotine concentration = the same amount of nicotine you're getting from the Juul.

dthor68

Dec 30, 2018
Greer, SC
Thanks Everyone. I found that Juul is only taking their flavored pods out of gas stations. However, vape stores still carry them. I paid $21.00 at a nearby vape store last night. A bit ridiculous. I found a couple more units that look tempting, Joyetech Exceed 19 and Innokin Endura T-18. Like everything, starting to get complicated. But, I really do like the adjustable air hole feature on the Joyetech unit.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Adjustable is great it really is. And you can keep your Juul around for times you really need higher nic, etc. It might be a bit of an adjustment but perhaps a worthwhile one.

LOL the more you learn the more complicated vaping gets. I'm not sure that is a negative though.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Ok, so KangerTech Top Evod, Joyetech Exceed 19 and Innokin Endura T-18. which one? LOL, seems like every time I turn around I am doing this. Last week it was a Hard Drive Dock, last month a 1000 luman flashlight. Then I will have to figure out who to buy it from.
Welcome and glad you joined.
The Endura T-18 gets high marks.
Innokin Endura T18 Starter Kit
I like this Kanger because you get a free back up:
Kanger EVOD 2 Starter Kit
The above two starter units are close to ideal to learn on and are more cost effective than Pods. Pods and stick cig carts can get pricey but worth the cost to wean you off dipping.
The information below may help you to obtain a good foundation of vaping knowledge.
Might like to read:
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
Learn What Vaping is and How to Inhale Properly - Vaping360
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
Beginner Archives - Guide To Vaping
Vaping 101: An Ultimate Guide Focusing on Basics for Beginners
6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...nk-or-what-a-guide-to-juice-attachments.3230/

Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thank You Brother Bob! So, how long do the coils last in the Kanger and Innokin sets? And the links, are they reputable dealers who will advertise when something is not in stock? I really do not want to wait 3 months, less than a week would be nice.
Coil life is pretty variable because it depends on many factors: juice type, wattage, amount vaped, what you personally consider too crises up to vape on, and possibly even type of draw. What looks like more or less normal around 4 days to a month, depending on various factors. There are many reputable US based vape shops that can generally deliver in a few days. Most of them, really. It’s the China based ones that tend to take longer. They are often but not always comensurately cheaper.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread