Vaping, teens & parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
There was an interesting point made by the last head of the FDA: because of the way sheet tobacco is made, the amount on nicotine in them is controllable, and it is within the power of the FDA to limit the amount of nicotine in a cigarette.
My understanding is the FDA is sponsoring research into cigarettes with almost no nicotine. The idea has been around for some years. What they have done lately I don't know. Why are they foot draging? Seems like a good idea to me. I tried to find where someone might buy cigs with no nicotine. Apparently not available for sale.

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
Might have been a crude attempt to deal with ADDHD

Absolutely agree. I said that to my supervisor. Sadly I’m not allowed to discuss these issues directly with parents unless they knock on my classroom door or they ask to talk to me. Hopefully she suggested looking into that or something.

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
My understanding is the FDA is sponsoring research into cigarettes with almost no nicotine. The idea has been around for some years. What they have done lately I don't know. Why are they foot draging? Seems like a good idea to me. I tried to find where someone might buy cigs with no nicotine. Apparently not available for sale.

Would that help at all though? I mean, nicotine addiction is definitely not good, but what about all the other chemicals involved in smoking? Or is that caused by nicotine? Legit question as I always though nicotine was the least of our worries when smoking, for calling it something. And I had never heard of nicotine free cigarettes. That’s quite interesting.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Of course. Who would want them? Cigarettes taste terrible and will kill you slowly and horribly at tremendous public expense. Iirc he was talking about limiting cigarettes to the nic levels available for unprotonated nic. Then he retired inexplicably.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Would that help at all though? I mean, nicotine addiction is definitely not good, but what about all the other chemicals involved in smoking? Or is that caused by nicotine? Legit question as I always though nicotine was the least of our worries when smoking, for calling it something. And I had never heard of nicotine free cigarettes. That’s quite interesting.
There are a bunch of things in cigarettes which range from the rather innocuous to the extremely bad. The whole point of e-cigarettes was to remove the deadly things and all but one of the addictive things (my memory was there were three)

Reducing the nic level though would make cigarettes easier to quit. The other addictive things mostly serve to make nicotine more addictive.

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
There are a bunch of things in cigarettes which range from the rather innocuous to the extremely bad. The whole point of e-cigarettes was to remove the deadly things and all but one of the addictive things (my memory was there were three)

Reducing the nic level though would make cigarettes easier to quit. The other addictive things mostly serve to make nicotine more addictive.

Right, looking at it that way it makes sense! Thanks!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Like near beer? Sorry, but bad Idea of a low nic cig. The harm is the tars and other toxins, not the nic. Idea must have originated from Big Tobacco.
A zero nic cigarette would be stupid unless there were also various levels of nicotine reduction available. Then it might conceivably make some sense. Making only non nic reduced and zeros definitely doesn’t though.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
When I was about 14 or whatever age you are in 9th grade my mom discovered my cigarettes in my sock drawer. Back then my socks were stored ball shaped and I suppose the rectangle shaped pack of cigarettes stashed in them was easy to spot when she put clean socks in the drawer. I suppose I'd been smoking a month or two. Both my parents smoked.

My friends with non smoking parents went into orbit when they found out their little darlings smoked too. My parents just said not to steal them and I was to support my own habit. They didn't like it, but also knew everybody except my grandmother smoked so they figured it was natural I did at some point. But rules were a lot looser back then. Yeah we weren't supposed to but nobody really enforced it back then.

Back then 2/3 of my teachers smoked inside the school in their break room. Cops didn't hassle you, and they were cheap…like a quarter a pack. A soda was 15 cents then. The packs had some kinda warning on them but us kids…… we knew better. Yeah right.

Back then smokers lived to their 60's as a rule. Non smokers their 70's and some into their 90's. Heart attacks were usually fatal back then, but heck even the flu still took out a few people in our community each winter.

At some point while I wasn't paying attention society turned against smoking cigarettes. No smoking on airplanes and certain buildings began. One could no longer smoke in their hospital room after a surgery. Yup, after my first knee surgery I was still blurry eyed from the anethesia when I lit up one in my room. The nurse brought me an ash tray. I was around 15 years old, perhaps 16. Anyway in time it became normal to not smoke in buildings anymore.

I always thought that was good because folks don't smoke as much. Now people don't smoke in their own home. Or their cars. So society as a whole has largely reduced smoking greatly. Now days vaping is no longer a novelty like it was just a couple of years ago. It has become pretty main stream these days. And quickly.
So in my view it's just history repeating only now kids use vapers instead of cigarettes to a large degree. If not for vaping, would they smoke like we did?

• Agree
Reactions: PatVapes

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
It's kind of a mixed bag on the history repeating itself, back then I was smoking cigs but not laced with anything and I knew of no one who rolled their own, with the exception of another thing. I wish we knew the numbers of the kids vaping nic vs the other. With the interwebs who knows where or what they're getting, thankfully we never had that option of reaching far & wide.

elac

Apr 9, 2012
United States
Back then 2/3 of my teachers smoked inside the school in their break room. Cops didn't hassle you, and they were cheap…like a quarter a pack. A soda was 15 cents then. The packs had some kinda warning on them but us kids…… we knew better. Yeah right.
When I was a young newlywed we could get a carton of cigs on the AF base for $4.

• Agree
Reactions: scott58

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
When I was about 14 or whatever age you are in 9th grade my mom discovered my cigarettes in my sock drawer. Back then my socks were stored ball shaped and I suppose the rectangle shaped pack of cigarettes stashed in them was easy to spot when she put clean socks in the drawer. I suppose I'd been smoking a month or two. Both my parents smoked.

My friends with non smoking parents went into orbit when they found out their little darlings smoked too. My parents just said not to steal them and I was to support my own habit. They didn't like it, but also knew everybody except my grandmother smoked so they figured it was natural I did at some point. But rules were a lot looser back then. Yeah we weren't supposed to but nobody really enforced it back then.

Back then smokers lived to their 60's as a rule. Non smokers their 70's and some into their 90's. Heart attacks were usually fatal back then, but heck even the flu still took out a few people in our community each winter.

At some point while I wasn't paying attention society turned against smoking cigarettes. No smoking on airplanes and certain buildings began. One could no longer smoke in their hospital room after a surgery. Yup, after my first knee surgery I was still blurry eyed from the anethesia when I lit up one in my room. The nurse brought me an ash tray. I was around 15 years old, perhaps 16. Anyway in time it became normal to not smoke in buildings anymore.

I always thought that was good because folks don't smoke as much. Now people don't smoke in their own home. Or their cars. So society as a whole has largely reduced smoking greatly. Now days vaping is no longer a novelty like it was just a couple of years ago. It has become pretty main stream these days. And quickly.
So in my view it's just history repeating only now kids use vapers instead of cigarettes to a large degree. If not for vaping, would they smoke like we did?
Would they continue to smoke? According to statistics, yes. Smoking rates remained almost totally constant for years. Vaping was the first thing in a long time that made any change in them at all, and that change was drastic.
E-cigarettes were the first bare chance that smoking might actually be eliminated as the effectiveness of anti smoking campaigns was near zero compared to the effectiveness of e-cigarettes.

Anti smoking campaigners took credit for the change even though it was completely undeserved, and then proceeded to attack e-cigarettes, often with the help of big tobacco.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have smoked 1.5 herbal cigarettes (they are actually a thing and not tobacco, some proprietary blend of herbs and spices and whatnot.) I rather (sort of naively assumed at one point that my issue was inhalation, not tobacco addiction.)

Never was it more quickly made clear to me that my issue was NOT simply inhalation: they were FOUL.

I rather imagine a nicotine free cigarette would be similar. You wouldn't go back for more. This is the reason there are no "nicotine free" tobacco cigarettes on the market. You'd have to be a suicidal masochist to buy more than one pack.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have smoked 1.5 herbal cigarettes (they are actually a thing and not tobacco, some proprietary blend of herbs and spices and whatnot.) I rather (sort of naively assumed at one point that my issue was inhalation, not tobacco addiction.)

Never was it more quickly made clear to me that my issue was NOT simply inhalation: they were FOUL.

I rather imagine a nicotine free cigarette would be similar. You wouldn't go back for more. This is the reason there are no "nicotine free" tobacco cigarettes on the market. You'd have to be a suicidal masochist to buy more than one pack.

Anna
I smoked about a quarter of one once. It was all I could take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread