Unwelcoming Brick & Mortar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubuk

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2014
A mountain top in Northern Ohio
I only wrote about this to add my experience to the thread as this place is one of two places near me selling vape stuff, one being a smoke/alcohol shop and the other a head shop. I have not gotten to experience an actual vape store nor do I come into contact with anyone who is really into vaping. A couple cigalike vapers who aren't really into it like me or ones that vape when you can't actually smoke cigs. I am a lonely vaper though my non smoking non vaping husband does listen to me talk about vaping and all the stuff I have learned since I started.

My point is while I will read about negative experiences I don't usually write about them unless they are so bad that I find myself incensed for days on end. When I have an awesome experience I will share it.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
I was hesitant to post this, but I want your opinion on this...

My friends have only been vaping for a few months and ventured out to a new shop about 45 minutes away. We open the door, and seem to immediately inconvenience the store attendant by taking them away from their xbox. We say hi and continue to mosey over to the counter. "Whats up, how are you?" I say in attempt to start conversation.

After staring in the case silently for a few minutes, I ask him how old the some juice is in the shelf "I don't vape anything out of plastic bottles" he dismissively replies, "I like high-end juice." So I say "okay then great, what do you have? What do you recommend?"

"The descriptions are right there" as he languidly points to some paper on the counter with brief descriptions of the juice lines. Hmm. Seems like info easily retrievable online (e.g. frankenvape is a kiwi marshmallow).

Hm. "Do you have a sample?" The silence is militant at this point. I took a couple puffs, hmft a couple hmmfts, then said "well thanks for your time" and walked out, for the first and last time.

Here's the thing, I was in retail for about 5-6 years, and if I learned one thing, it's that you are selling yourself. If people are comfortable and trustworthy of you, they are much more likely to buy and come back. I felt like I we were simply keeping the store attendant from the xbox sticks...

I have been to multiple other stores and had a MUCH different (and positive, welcoming, encouraging, open) experience. I tried to portray my experience fairly and honestly, but why would a shop not be chock full of friendly, helpful, informative and welcoming staff? I don't doubt that this person is probably nice - but I'm really not how they expect to grow a business with this kind of attitude.

Has anybody had experiences like this? Sorry if this is a dupe post (other brick & mortar stories - please link or direct).

P.S. - NOT a tobacco shop with a side chest of gear and sauce, this was a dedicated vapor shop.

Are you asking if anyone has had experiences with poor customer service? Lol, I think we all have :)

If you mean specifically vape brick and mortar related....well....no, I haven't....but then again I only go to one brick and mortar shop, VapeRite in Woodstock, GA.

Anyway, vape related or not...it happens. Just take your business elsewhere.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
There are bad retail stores of all types- don't know why vape shops would be any different...

My thoughts exactly. After reading this thread, I was sitting here trying to figure out the point of it. What message was the OP trying to convey?

I guess it was just ranting about his experience with a crappy brick and mortar store?

Not that I'm saying theres anything wrong with a thread like this - absolutely not! I just didn't understand what he was trying to convey exactly.

TheAmazingDave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
San Jose, California, United States
So sorry for your bad experience. The sad thing is, the owner/manager will probably look at very low, to no, receipts for the day, and the clerk will tell him, "Well, I couldn't help it. Nobody came in the store."

Small shops would do well to install small surveillance cameras - not to watch the customers, but to check up on terrible employees like that one.
I just recently installed a 16-cam HD Axis system for one of our clients. He didn't purchase it for theft/security, his primary factor was keeping an eye on his employees in the shop. We hung a 70" monitor on the wall of his office solely for displaying the cam video to keep an eye on the shop during production hours.

scylla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Illinois
The first thing I was taught about customer service is for YOU to set the expectations. Having been on both sides of the auto mechanic coin I can say with a relative amount of certainty that a major problem in your business is a failure to set those expectations correctly.

Sounds like you have been out of the game too long. I can say with complete certainty that people here in the States aren't like they used to be. I have been at it 25 years.
I have always treated customers with courtesy and am known to be quick on the job and very reasonable price wise. A day doesn't go by where a customer expecting a large bill or long down time is surprised when I repair his vehicle under price and way cheaper than the dealerships do. That is the way I conduct myself in business and my personal life.
My problem is with the general arrogant attitude that it seems most people have the minute they walk through the door. I have no patience for ill mannered people. I also have no time for people that make foolish assumptions about me, kinda like you just did.

GaG8tor

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2014
Acworth, Ga. United States
I actually went to a local vape shop on Saturday, and the guy was trying to sell me an OCD carto tank claiming that it was from a local glass blower and that it was one of a kind and that's why there were $50-$75 dollars. I had to argue with him that they were from IBTanked, not in GA, and even though they are top grade carto tanks, they were wayyyy over priced. Also they had VTC4 batteries for $30 each. Then, the kid working the counter started trash talking the other 2 B&M's in town. Will never go there again!

Wow. This wouldn't have happened to have been in Kennesaw would it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
Wow. This wouldn't have happened to have been in Kennesaw would it?

Funny you should ask that. More than once I've seen people withhold the name of a B&M when complaining, partially due to rules, but there are enough context clues to let people either just know or deduce which store is the issue.

I think I figured out which store Gonzi is referencing but the northwest ATL subs is an area I don't ever go to so I could be wrong.

TrolleyVW

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I'm sick of these shops opening up that either the owner, employees, or both have no knowledge of really anything. No knowledge of their product and industry but also no knowledge of how to run a retail store.

I have had many bad experiences in b&m's just like the OP and I also have not returned. These shops don't deserve my business if I don't deserve their time and effort. Now some may disagree but I also make it a point to tell others of my bad experience at these shops. It's frustrating but it's inevitable.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
I have had many bad experiences in b&m's just like the OP and I also have not returned. These shops don't deserve my business...
I'm with you. After *many* bad experiences any business should be shunned. But in the OP's case... just one visit? A single brief encounter with one rude employee? I dare say, were that the universal criteria for harsh and final judgement Mrs. Kodiak would have booted my moody ... to the street long ago. :D

Yes indeed... you should expect great customer service when you patronize somebody with your money. But these days it seems we overreact a bit if balloons don't drop from the ceiling and employees don't do cartwheels when we walk through the door. And when they don't... we tell people who can't do anything to fix it. :)

GaG8tor

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2014
Acworth, Ga. United States
Yup, VapeCity, talking smack about VapeRite in Woodstock and about Dixie in Kennesaw

Cool. Glad it wasn't Dixie's. I went in there one time and will never return. Can't comment on my experience because there was no experience. Hardly any interaction. Just a couple of stoners sitting around. I've only been to VapeRite once and the experience was good. Dixie's is my go-to. They were the first place I went and Dave and his wife are great.I really do feel a sense of loyalty to them.

Moedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
Charlotte, NC, USA
We are blessed to have many great vape shops in Charlotte. I've never had a bad experience in one. Yes, most of the employees are late teens to mid twenties but they are always cordial/helpful/respectful to me, an older person. I mention all this just to let people who have not been in many B&Ms that there are a lot of good stores out there. I believe the OP is justified in their complaint, but I will note it is a two way street. I notice some older people really treating young retail employees badly. I guess it gets old after a while, though that is no excuse when you're being paid to deal with the public.

glowplug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
Lakewood, CO USA
I am very lucky. I have two vape shops close to me and they are both excellant. The owner of one was the 'newbie' guy at the other one. He stood at the counter day in and day out to help all new vapers decide what to use and how to use it. Absolutely fabulous guy and I am so tickled that he now owns his own shop. He has a vaping bar with clearos set up with all of his juices, a box of fresh clean friend tips and high end gear as well as beginning. Both shops are about the same as far as inventory. The folks that work at both are experienced vapers and passionate about vaping.

I just love visiting both shops. I always buy something even though there are better deals online. I do this to support them. They have answered every question I have had, trouble shooting my equipment without a qualm and in general, great people. I wish everyone had shops like these close by. They are Vapor Leaf in Lakewood, CO and Elements of Vapor in Arvada, CO. If you are in the area, stop by and see them! You won't be sorry.

TheBiloi

Apr 1, 2014
United States
I think it has a lot to do with the type of people attracted to opening vape stores. On the same note though, the nature of vaping and the fact that it's potentially saved so many lives has to do with why there's even more vape store owners who run such a great shop.

It's a craft that requires a lot of knowledge, a lot of community interaction and a lot of enthusiasm. My local shop is owned and run by a guy who looks like the type of person you'd probably try to avoid out on the street.

But come around 6pm on a Friday and there are tons of people from all walks of life crowding around trying to talk to him cause he's knowledgeable about what he sells and a pleasant person to talk with.

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
There are bad retail stores of all types- don't know why vape shops would be any different...

manly because its much more prevalent
I have one good one around me but I only found that one within the past few months
I've been too a bunch of others in the beginning

and honestly if it were not for this forum and finding online vendors I would not still be vaping

I am in business as well and would not be so If I ran it the way some of these shops do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread