Unwelcoming Brick & Mortar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
I get crappy service from other retail venues all the time but I never feel the need to get onto a forum and vent about it. Doing that changes precisely what? If that were the case, I'd shut this mother down with complaints about how McDonald's messed up a plain double cheeseburger.

I speak for myself on this, but I get a feeling of comradity between fellow vapers and get tiked off by people trying to capitalize on something that they have no interest in and no respect for, specially when it's something that has helped so many of us and is such an important part of our lives. I know that it may not me the proper etiquete or it might seem unreasonable, but when I venture out and go to vape shops, I want to converse with fellow vapers, look at vape gear and have a good time. I go with the intent of buying something, even if I don't need anything at the time to support local business and to thank them for the service that they are providing by helping people quit smoking and introduce them to vaping.

I don't mean any disrespect to you or anyone against any of what I'm posting, just took advantage of your post to reply my point of view.

Laylel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
Victoria, BC, CA
Rocketpunk
I feel different. All other store it's every day thing - food/clothes/etc... For most of ppl from vaping community vape shop it's start of new life - non smoking life. Just to take this decision - to quit/even to an attempt/ even to walk in store and do first purchase is big step. And i see how that is frustrating more then other retail stores crap.

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
...And bashing your competition speaks volumes about your ethics and principles. Wether your statements are true or not about your competedors is besides the point. You need to sell yourself as a brand and make yourself and the product you are selling atractive and a value to the consumer. That is in any business, not just retail market.

As far as my experience, 1 of the B&M that they were bashing I hold very dearly. Me and my wife have been to Dixie Vapor Shop in Kennesaw, GA many times and spend a lot of time and money there. They are amazing people with great moral and values and are a pleasure to be around, and they are very professional, helpful and honest.

kenbu

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Oregon
There are not a lot of vape shops around me, but I always recommend one specific store, which is not even a vape specific shop but a half converted smoke shop to newbies. Yes, other pure vape shops may have better gear and juices, but I've gotten the feeling that I'm interupting the clerks personal vape party with his buddies at some of those other shops.

I get the feeling at the store I frequent that those working there are long time smokers coverted to vaping and their enthusiam and helpfulness more than make up for their shortnesses, so I vote with my dollars.

That sucks. I was blown away by a local vape shop recently. They used to be a tobacco place, stopped selling cigs just pipe tobbaco and roll your owm supplies now and rest of store turned into a vape haven. Its like a superstore. Tons of low mid and high end stuff. Dna 20 30 mods. Vtr mvp evics mechs and anything inbetween. Almkst every rba/rda and protanks to nautilus. They make their own juice and let you sample everytbing. When you walk in youre immediately greeted with positive attitude and they patiently explain and demo everything they have. Downaide is theyre in a bad location and dont get as much drive by business as they should. Its all word of mouth and loyal return customers

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Unfortunately your post is a duplicate - because we seem to be hearing a lot of these stories regarding vape shops that can't seem to bother actually selling anything. Word of mouth travels. Word of mouth about bad experiences travels even farther and faster.

Making me wonder if we should start a database for these places, listing "first citing" and "date closed" - for all too obvious reasons.

sc12

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
USA
Unfortunately your post is a duplicate - because we seem to be hearing a lot of these stories regarding vape shops that can't seem to bother actually selling anything. Word of mouth travels. Word of mouth about bad experiences travels even farther and faster.

Making me wonder if we should start a database for these places, listing "first citing" and "date closed" - for all too obvious reasons.
Love that idea.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I go with the intent of buying something, even if I don't need anything at the time to support local business

I'm going to go on a little side-rant here, but I REALLY hate the "support local business" mantra.

I support DESERVING businesses. If they are local then that's great. If I have to go online then that's where I'll spend my money. The last thing in the world I want to do is give my money away to help support some money grabbing scam artist just because he is local. Local businesses do not give you money, they don't support you, they are in business to make themselves money. They only deserve your support if their products, prices, and service justifies it.

And if their products, prices, and service do not justify your support, then you would be better off allowing them to fail, hopefully to be replaced by someone else who does their job better.

It's MY money. If they want my money then they have to meet my demands. If they can't do that then I hope they meet someone elses, because they won't get a penny from me.

Razorback

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Conway, Arkansas
This type of b+m won't be in business for long with the unprofessional people they hire. With online competition, their days will be numbered.

Yeah, what purplepeeps said...

The only one I've gone to in my town so far is very good. Staff very knowledgeable and friendly, prices reasonable. There are always 3 or 4 people in there buying stuff. I've never ventured any further because there was no need. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
little birdhouse in your soul
These are becoming more frequent threads here and it is unfortunate because you never see a thread raving about the wonderful B&M they went to. This is how society is as a whole, they usually only rant about bad experiences and rarely the good ones. One of my local B&Ms is putting in/has already put in an X-box and their pro-shop seems to be a more comfortable place to sit than standing in front of the counters bs-ing with the staff.

On one hand, I have to play devil's advocate and say that some of what I read is expecting too much. You wouldn't ask for a fine dining experience from Taco Bell. These guys make minimum wage and "professional salespeople" has never come to mind while in any store. Better salespeople requires higher pay and higher margins to meet...........higher prices.

While I read these repeated threads, I have just started to think about what stores like these will negatively affect vaping.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Yes, I have experienced it... BUT only in one store. That store is a big, well known, national chain and well known by ECF members discussing local shops to be a less than pleasant experience going into so most don't other than periodically checking to see if the owner has hired more interested/nowledgeable staff. I know some say things like you can find that in any retail store but, truly, I have not experienced that level of disinterest/snobbery in any other type of retail. I have no idea what the reasons are... maybe low pay? I just know what I've seen.

Edit: Wait... yes, I have. I experienced it in a local smoke shop... but that's it.

scylla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Illinois
As part of my job I do occasionally have to deal with customers and let me tell you, over the last few years people have really become rude and pushy. Everything from unrealistic expectations on prices to expectations on how to solve whatever problems they might be having.

I'm a mechanic and I constantly get internet warriors who are sure they can tell me what the solution is to whatever mechanical problem they are having. Usually they get their info from some forum thread where Joe Blow had almost the exact same problem so the solution must be the same as his. 90% of the time they are wrong. The customer is always right mantra is B.S..
Where I work we even have come up with a a**hole tax, because the situation has gotten so out of hand. On the flip side I will always give a break to those people who show me the same respect I give them.

I understand the OP's frustration with the clerk but I would bet that clerk is just burnt out on customer service. It takes a special person to deal with the public today. I will NEVER work front line retail.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
As part of my job I do occasionally have to deal with customers and let me tell you, over the last few years people have really become rude and pushy. Everything from unrealistic expectations on prices to expectations on how to solve whatever problems they might be having.

The first thing I was taught about customer service is for YOU to set the expectations. Having been on both sides of the auto mechanic coin I can say with a relative amount of certainty that a major problem in your business is a failure to set those expectations correctly. Do NOT tell a customer you don't know how long it will take or how much it will cost. Sure, I understand that problems pop up that may alter your projections, but you should be sure to set some realistic projections of time and cost from the start.

Most mechanics I've been to are totally open ended on cost and timeframe for work to be complete. That's unacceptable. Would you accept the same from someone building your house? Yeah, we'll build it, maybe this year, maybe next, maybe in a decade, and it might cost $100k or maybe $1 million, we just don't know and won't tell you anything definite. Would you buy a house from a builder who told you that?

Far too many mechanics try to sell themselves using those same standards, and that's why customers have unrealistic expectations and are rude when you fail to meet those expectations. You failed to do your job the moment you allowed them to have those expectations in the first place. Set a realistic time frame and a realistic price, and then do everything you possibly can to finish the job ahead of schedule and under budget. Do that and you'll have a happy customer every time.

Anubuk

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2014
A mountain top in Northern Ohio
I stopped by the local head shop (I actually bought my first e cig there on a whim) to see if they had expanded their e-cig inventory (previously they were selling generic chinese cartomizers and packs with RN4081 threaded starter packs (cigalikes)) and found they had started carrying an Ohio made e liquid I hadn't tried.

The 2 girls obviously were not vapers however there were samples to try. Now the girls were initially nice but I still could not shake the feeling that they couldn't wait for me to leave. I didn't feel comfortable taking my time and trying out the juices. Again they weren't outright rude I just felt rushed. I tried the 3 flavors which seemed most appealing (they weren't bad but they all tasted similar) picked out one, bought it and left. I felt I had to buy something because I made them work.

I am aware that I might be being a tad bit sensitive but I have worked in customer service (serving/bartending for 12 years and at retail stores requiring actual effort) and I know how one should feel after/during a shopping experience and this was not it.

The juice was okay, nothing mind blowing. The juice prices are normal but the store I visited and website by the actual company are overpriced when it comes to hardware. $19.99 for a 650mah battery, $7.90 for a glass replacement tube for my mini protank 2 (I pay $3) and those are just a couple examples. I bought my Kanger 650mah Evod battery for $13.99 at Discount Vapers! They want $19.99 + shipping for a generic 650mah with their name on it?! I have not bought from their site so I can not speak for customer service or the actual quality of their batteries or clearos but with those prices I am not going to find out. For reference the company's name is Vapermate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread