Status
Not open for further replies.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
OK guys I have been reading a lot of different issues with different toppers on different mods from protanks to iclears to cartos so I started doing some investigating using my protanks and smoktech carto tanks. Thanks to my crowd at the local B&M i have used provari's with various ego adapters, vamo, tesla, svd, itaste mvp's, hammer mods, k100's and several others. What I found was, other than using 510 or ego thread diameter/pitch was no two mods had the same thread count, slot size (the little notches cut in the top), thread depth (510 hole), diameter or length of the top between the end and where the threads start or total length of the adapter. These differences in specs can cause HUGE variances in the performace of toppers that draw air through these threaded adapters into the center of the positive pin.

In the case of 510 threaded toppers the notches in the end have the biggest impact on airflow. My protank 2's performed best on joyetech ego's, vision egos and my joyetech evic and the worst on the provari and tesla. The shallow notches on these mods required backing out the tank and raising the center pins to increase airflow and maintain good contact. Same results for the carto tank which has the exact same thread and air hole specs as the protank. The mini protanks performance was best on the joytechs/visions and varied on the 510 mods depending on the brand of adapter. I've come to the conclusion that for most toppers Joytech is the standard that they are designing for which is why they perform best on joyetechs and visions and vary on off brand mods.

I also had a chance to try a kayfun on all these mods and the performance was pretty much consistent across the board as I expected because the way the genesis tank system works the thread variances are eliminated and performace is down to wick coil and air hole size of the top cover. THis is also why the aerotank base is better on a protank than the regular base.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
Had more problems with a non drip tip standard with most high end pinoy mods you get floating or adjustable pins, also some RDA/RBA's have centre pin adjustment, out of 5 Mecs and about 8 toppers they all fit on each other but a wobbly drip tip is just whack!
This is another good point. I was mainly focusing on the difference in the air flow which is the biggest cause of dry hits, low vapor amount and flooding on BCC tanks since they use a certain amount of suction to help pull juice to the coil . The tight draw on my protank on a provari kept flooding the coil because the suction pulled more juice than air and cooled the coil too much cutting the amount of vapor down, the same happens on a punched carto or mini pro when not enough air is coming through. Too much air and you get a higher chance of dry/burnt hits depending on wick material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread