Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
A first timer's start, PapawBrett. Escudo, Marlin Flake, G&H Louisiana Flake, Kingfisher, McClelland No. 2015, and a mix of McClelland No. 2010 and 15% Perique. They're not due for nearly two more months.

Sounds like a good plan.
Just remember - Filtration is The Key to good tobacco Extraction !

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
"Tools of the Trade" ....
KIMG0402.JPG

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
This is just how I do this;
The funnel sits neatly on a two quart pitcher, and a standard coffee filter fits into the funnel. I dump the tobacco and extract into the coffee filter. It will gravity feed until the tobacco starts to dry out, about 30 minutes or so. This way the raw tobacco is removed from the extract.
Then I use a lab filter, cut to size, in the aeropress. I situate the aeropress on an old mayonnaise jar, pour the extract (minus the raw tobacco) into the aeropress and slowly press down to push the extract through, and not around, the lab filter.
A half-pint Mason jar will yield around 100ml of clean extract using this method.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Thank you @classwife .
Been exceptionally lazy this summer. Filtered out all of my tobacco blends back in April, then left my aromatic (flavored) tobacco sitting until yesterday. Hopefully the tobacco didn't break down and create more sediment too badly.
Have several "new to me" tobaccos again this year. Should have a few reviews to post this fall.
Thanks again, Classy.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
So I am starting into Cornell & Diehl Pegasus. Advertised as three Burleys, two Virginias and a touch of unsweetened Black Cavendish.
Initial thoughts - Burley ! Mild- medium to medium flavor, Burley at the front and bodied. A hint of "Old Codger Burley" in the mix, which is lightened by the Virginias and Cavendish. But the three Burley mix is the main body of the vape.
After spending a few days with this, I'll post a full review....

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/cornell-diehl/pegasus/product_id/138729

Extracted ; January of 2022 (Cold Maceration)
Mixed (30/70 w/10mg nicotine) ; August 2022

Mixed by Master Blender Bob Runowski and presented by Cornell & Diehl, this selection was purchased through SmokingPipes.com.
Advertised as three Burleys, two Virginias and an unsweetened Black Cavendish, this selection is well reviewed on several websites. So I thought I'd give it a try.
The Burley mixture is the star here. There is a distinct nuttiness, with a hint of "Old Codger" Burley on the palate. I would guess white, brown and traditional Burley, but that would only be a guess.
The Virginias are a condiment flavor. Guessing red and brown Virginias as there is no 'grassy' flavor that blond Virginias produce. Just a touch of sweet, but not so much as to interfere with the Burley blend. If there is unsweetened Black Cavendish, it is a very small amount just to smooth the blend. And it is silky smooth on the palate.
There are online reviews that compare this to Three Friars without the Perique, or Haunted Bookshop without the Perique. I would not make such a comparison as I think this blend stands just fine on it's own. I would call it a Mild-to- Medium vape, and well worth the effort.
The only annoyance with this selection, and it really isn't that big a deal, if used as an All-Day Vape it does tend to eventually leave a Burley aftertaste on the palate, but nothing that a warm cup of coffee or a glass of sweet tea doesn't Immediately take care of.
Looking forward to enjoying this one in the rotation this year, and most probably reordered.

Danielpilha

Apr 14, 2022
Extracted ; January of 2022 (Cold Maceration)
Mixed (30/70 w/10mg nicotine) ; August 2022
I've just finished a heat assisted pg extraction of this one. This one will be my first attempt of pga added freezing filtration ( after 3 years i'm really tired of rewiking after 5mls every day ) . My method of extraxtion does not end in a very robust flavorful final net liquid , mixing the extraxt at 10%, it's just enough for keeping me happy with that hint of good burley mouth aftertaste. I really hope that the "new" filtration method won't kill the very little flavor i enjoy so much. I'll write about the results here.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I've just finished a heat assisted pg extraction of this one. This one will be my first attempt of pga added freezing filtration ( after 3 years i'm really tired of rewiking after 5mls every day ) . My method of extraxtion does not end in a very robust flavorful final net liquid , mixing the extraxt at 10%, it's just enough for keeping me happy with that hint of good burley mouth aftertaste. I really hope that the "new" filtration method won't kill the very little flavor i enjoy so much. I'll write about the results here.

So I am reading this, and I ask "How long did he let it steep ?".
Just an observation of mine ; "Cased" and "Top Note" flavors are added flavors (vanilla, cherry, caramel, etc.) that are misted onto the tobacco during the curing and processing stages. These tobaccos make for tasty e-liquids, but the additional flavoring tends to make the e-liquid gunky.
Unflavored tobacco blends are not as gunky, and you could mix at a higher percentage if you choose. One of my favorites (when it's available) is Peter Stokkebye's 84 Turkish, which I have mixed at 15% extract without any problems.
Pegasus is unflavored, and pretty clean as extractions go. I wouldn't tamper too much with your filtration if your extracts are coming out cleaner, but you might want to consider mixing a a higher level if you want more flavor.
Just my opinion. Worth what you paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread