Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Don't worry, this won't last long....
I thought I would try a thread for extracted tobacco flavors for those of us who prefer a milder, smoother flavor.
Not that there is anything wrong about stronger flavors. If you enjoy a stout English blend that has Latakia at the forefront, have at it !
This thread is for those of us who are not looking to "put hair on your chest" or "make a man out of you". This thread is for those of us who simply enjoy mild tobacco flavors.
Links and reviews are welcome.
And as I said before, this won't last long ...

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
It was about this time last year I lost my buddy, Urlacher, a nine year old male German Shepherd.
I spent that weekend mixing e-liquids just to keep my mind and hands busy. Something like 500ml of NET flavors and 400ml of Sweets and Bakery.
But when one door closes, another opens. And in early November we welcomed home Natasha, who now a very spoiled five months old female German Shepherd.
KIMG0202.JPG

It was shortly after my mixing binge last spring our friend @Bronze sent my six of his personal extracts to try, but by then I was swimming in e-liquids.
Mixing these the last couple of days, right off I noticed neither the extracts or the e-liquids they make are as dark as mine. I believe that is because Bronze uses an eight week cold maceration, where I prefer 12 to 13 weeks.
So tonight I am mixing Bronze's Sutliff Chocolate Supreme, Sutliff Chocolate Mousse, and Sutliff Chocolate Truffle at 15% extract. Maybe I will finally get to keep my word to an old ECF friend, and in a month or so review his work.
Sorry I took so long, old man.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
OK, I have given this some thought, and here it is....
About ten days ago Mamaw was summoned for Jury Duty at the Federal Court in Charlotte, NC. She was dismissed.
Her observations were that the Postal Inspectors, the ATF, the DEA and the North Carolina State Police were all present for the Prosecution. Two defendants, one male and one female.
After careful consideration I have decided no more NET liquid mailings. My apologies to everyone. Hopefully there is enough information in this sub-forum to help anyone who would like to try their own hand at extracting tobacco flavors. Honestly, it's more patience than work.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
So, eleven tobaccos just went into their three month soak in PG. I decided to go back to Cold Maceration because ;
1) it's Mamaw's kitchen.
2) I actually prefer the nuances of a good tobacco blend over the strength of the tobacco.
3) Being clean and sober for 29 years, I really don't care for 190 proof alcohol in my house.
4) Cold Maceration is easier, anyways.

A few notes: H&H Anniversary Kake has been loose and dry in years past, but this year it was still tight (like the kake wasn't totally shredded) and while breaking up the tobacco it was still a little moist. Hoping for a good flavor.
Also, H&H Midtown Chestnut was horribly dry and brittle. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Smoking Pipes tobaccos generally seem slightly fresher, based on moistness and aroma.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I am reading along and I am reading. I am interested in starting to extract myself. Since I know nothing, I can't contribute anything constructive except my encouragement to keep typing, Papaw.

just a few thought based on my relative (in)experience with extracting tobacco...
You will notice form my posts that I use Cold Maceration for an extraction process. Because of my busy lifestyle (career trucker) this is the easiest process for me. Also, somewhere along the line Mamaw apparently had a bad experience with a pressure cooker, and will not allow one in her kitchen. My yard, my house (repair), my autos (maintenance), HER kitchen.... (considering how well she cooks, not complaining)
But it takes about three months from start to finish. Here goes...
1) Ordering. There is such a thing as a Tobacco Beetle. It lays it's eggs (larva) inside the tobacco leaves. Cigarette tobacco is sprayed with pesticide (and preservatives) to kill the tobacco beetle larvae. Most Fine Cigars and Pipe Tobaccos are not treated this way. This is why cigars and pipe tobaccos are kept and sold in Humidors, controlled environments that keep the temperature and humidity below 70. As long as the temperature does not reach the mid-70's, the tobacco beetle larvae cannot mature and hatch.
This is why I order my tobaccos in the Dead of Winter - so the product stays cool during transportation through the mail system. Overkill ? Maybe, but I want a pure, enjoyable taste from my NETs. I tend to order 1 ounce bulk selections, because it is easier for my process.
2) Maceration. Using 1/2 pint Mason Jars, I insert 1 ounce of tobacco, and fill to the top with PG. The jars are then placed in a dark, cool place (top shelf, bedroom closet). They will remain there for eight weeks. Sometimes I might check them after two or three weeks to see if absorption by the tobacco has lowered the PG level, and top off. Some who are PG intolerant may need to use a different extraction method, such as discussed by @Str8vision in his thread ;
Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol
3) Perhaps the most critical step in making your own NET flavors. Poor filtration can produce e-liquids that are called 'gunky', and can wreck coils almost immediately. Take care in selecting your filtration equipment, and don't be afraid to ask question around this sub-forum.
I personally use an Aero Press, designed for coffee filtering.
AeroPress Coffee Maker | AeroPress
and filter paper from the Lab Depot. I order the 12.5 cm size, as I can cut two filters to fit the Aero Press from each filter.
Quantitative : TLD™ Grade 42 Quantitative Filter Paper, Ashless
Using a typical wire mesh kitchen strainer and a 1 Pint Mason jar, I carefully pour the extracted PG through the strainer and into the pint jar. I used to worry about getting each and every drop that I could, but I have learned I can always make more. Now I just try to get a clean strain, and throw away the tobacco.
The bottom of the Aero Press fits nicely on top of a Pint Mason Jar. Using the filter paper that came with the Aero Press, I position the press on top of a clean Pint jar, pour the extract in, and SLOWLY apply pressure, checking to make sure the extract is flowing though the paper filter and not around it. This takes several minutes.
Then I carefully cut the Lab Filter Paper to match the size of the Aero Press, and filter a second time with the Quantitive paper filter. I believe this paper is rated at 2.5 macron, it will take care to slowly push the extracted liquid through the paper rather than around it. This produces my finished results.
I then mix my e-liquids to taste (usually around 10% extract) and allow four weeks steep time.
My method is simple and easy. There are probably better methods (and possibly more complicated and time consuming), but I can produce NET flavors at a fraction of what Vendors charge. My 'flavored' tobacco extractions are clean enough for RDA's, and the unflavored tobaccos are clean enough for RTAs.
CMD-Ky, it's not as complicated as this post sounds. Though we DIY'ers might never match the quality of Lab Equipment used by professionals, we can produce many enjoyable flavors (and a few clunkers along the way).
READ as much as you can in the Liquid Extraction from Tobacco sub-forum. There are people who know far more than I do. I just like 'quick and easy', and this works for me. Good Luck !

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Blending - Dark Fired Kentucky Burley - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (by @Bronze ) - Winter 0f 2020
Mixed at 10% (30/70 w/10mg nicotine) - March 7, 2021

Probably muted a little after the long wait before mixing, but still a very earthy vape. This is a "Blending Tobacco", meaning it is a single variety used by blenders. No casing or top note, simply a Kentucky Burley that was cured over smoldering fires to add a certain smokiness.
There is no sweetness like a Virginia of a Cavendish, no spiciness as found in Perique, no cigarette taste found in Orientals. This is an earthy Burley, the fire curing gives it a smokiness without being overly bitter. Advertised a s a medium body tobacco, I find this to be a mild- medium vape. It does well enough standing on it's own, and I could see that as a strait tobacco vape, but would probably be a welcome addition to Orlik Golden Sliced, or any other Virginia or VaPer. It does have a certain musky yet tasty quality to it. The curing process seems to have brought out the best in the leaf. Slightly nutty, but mostly earthy and hearty.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Hearth & Home Signature Frenchy's Sunza.....es - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (Cold Maceration) - Winter of 2021
Mixed at 10% (30/70 w/10mg nicotine) - June 6, 2021

FLAVOR ! This one will never be mistaken for 'mild' or 'subtle'. The Burley (most likely dark Burley) jumps out hand and hand with the spicy Perique. Together they share the center of the stage, but they are not alone. There is a sweetness added from the blended Virginias and maybe some Black Cavendish, but they are more condiment than flavors. There is an ever-so-slight dark 'zing' hidden within the blend from the "Bourbon", although it only tickles beneath the blend. Think of Haunted Bookshop or Three Friars, also Va/Bur/Per blends, only sweet and a little tangy. This is a delightful blend with a good amount of body and the nuances of it's intricacies. This could be an All-Day vape, or an After Dinner treat. Well worth the effort of the extraction process, even if the ECF likes to 'censure' the name of the FSOB.

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Sutliff Chocolate Truffle - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (by @Bronze ) - Winter of 2020
Mixed @15% (30/70 w/10mg nicotine) - 3/8/2021

Bronze said he got no flavor from this, and I waited too long to try, so I upped the NET percentage to 15%.Testing this with an Achilles dripper on a ProVape P3 at 12W.
Very mild and very sweet. Advertised as a a standard Virginia, Burley and Cavendish, I am guessing pressed blond Virginia, white Burley and black Cavendish. Nothing offensive about it, just a mild and very sweet tobacco base. There is a top note of cocoa and a hint of almond. The Cavendish and the cocoa take a very subtle lead, and the Burley might assist the almond undertone.
This selection makes for a good morning vape to be enjoyed with morning coffee, as I am doing now. Bumping the wattage up to 15W, I get a very slight increase in tobacco flavor. This could be something a higher voltage (cloud chaser) might get more enjoyment out of. Probably not strong enough to be an all-day vape or an after dinner vape. But it is a mild and sweet, unoffensive aromatic with a chocolate/ almond top note.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
It is a sad day. Just started into the last 30 ml. of Decatur Black Cherry :(
Still tastes great, though...
Yeah know the feeling. I'm sipping on the last of the last you so graciously sent me...all the way to NZ...what a man you are ;)
Luckily i'm on a roll here...the tobaccos are flowing in. Only one of the 20 has been confiscated by border control....not a bad average.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    The latest Nets that Brett sent me are ready after a month’s steep. I’m trying the Vermont meat candy in a Vertex Mtl rta with a .73 ohm superfine Clapton 316 coil. This one has a stronger tobacco flavor than others I remember trying. At first it reminded me of a cavendish but not sure now. It’s fairly sweet compared to others but that natural good sweetness that I’ve only experienced with Nets. It’s very good. Thanks for sharing!

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I am trying Brett's Brigadier Black Alamo. I am not good with reviews at all but I'll give my thoughts. I easily picked out the Burley in this. Not so familiar with the Cavendish. I was afraid this one would be too sweet but it isn't. I get no taste of nougat or mocha in it. I find it a pleasant mild vape that I enjoy.

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    I’m trying the 84 Turkish tonight. Not a fan so far. It keeps reminding me of green grass or some kind of green leaf. I guess I prefer the sweet Nets.

It’s an unvarnished NET. Straight up tobacco.

I seem to remember @hittman really liking H&H Midtown Chestnut when he tried that one, so I don't think it's a matter of aromatic v. non-aromatic blends.
    Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. Maybe he is just not a fan of sansoun Turkish tobacco.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    During the past ten years my taste preference has changed many times. I've been through a Virginia/ Perique phase, a Burley/Black Cavendish phase, an Oriental-Turkish phase, a Cigar leaf phase and a Latakia blend phase. I'm currently enjoying a weird hybrid Cigar phase. Ahlusion's "Caramel Wild Wood" mixed with extract of Acid Blondie cigars....go figure. I just wonder what tomorrow will bring. That's one of the things I like about making NETs, there's really no limit to what can be created.

This past year I've read various posts of vendors shutting down and people scrambling to find a replacement for their favorite juice. I'm -so- glad I learned how to make my own early on.

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Looks like I am talking to myself. Oh well, isn't the first time (probably not the last either...)

Peter Stokkebye 84 Turkish - Pipes and Cigars

Extracted (cold maceration) - winter of 2016
    Mixed at 15% (70/30 PG/VG @10mg Nic) Feb 2018

This is easily one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the extract is gone and the e-liquid is nearly gone. I will have to order some more. Soon, as in maybe this week !
    Turkish Samsoun and Virginia tobaccos are blended together for a light, smooth and modestly sweet natural flavor. Because there are no added flavorings (cherry, vanilla, etc.) this extract is exceptionally clean. So clean I can bypass the REOS Grand/ RM2 and load this into a Vandy Vape Berserker RTA on an Eleaf Invoke. Yes, it is clean enough for a tank, and Temp Control. Unlike flavored tobaccos, which I normally mix around 10%, I can up this selection to 15% to get a fuller, more satisfying vape without worrying about coils/ wicks. I am currently vaping this mix on a stainless steel coil at 380*F, and it is purely delightful.
    This one is worth a try, no matter what your NET preferences may be !

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Thank you, @classwife. Doesn't seem too much action in this section lately, so maybe I will start talking to myself in this thread. (140 posts have over 5500 views, so I guess I am not alone here)
    Winter has arrived. Another order from pipesandcigars.com has been placed. Unfortunately several of my old favorites are not available.
    Decatur Black Cherry is no longer available as a product due to government regulations, so it is offered as a mix-it-yourself kit. But I have no use for a one pound bag when I only use one ounce for extraction purposes.
    Also, Peter Stokkebye's 84 Turkish is only available in one pound bags, and Cornell & Deihl Oriental Silk is out of stock. But with over 400 selections, it is not like there are not other options.
    Some old favorite are still available. Home and Hearth's Anniversary Kake, Midtown Chestnut, Louisiana Red and Virginia Spice are reordered, as are Cornell & Deihl Three Friars and Scotty's Honey & Chocolate.
    But there will be some new-to-me tobaccos. I've waited several years to try Cornell & Deihl Yorktown, a stoved red Virginia mixed with a bright Virginia, stoved again and mixed with a red Virginia. I will also be trying Cornell & Deihl Crooner, Bing Crosby's personal blend of Burley with an added touch of the herb deertongue. Also, C&D Haunted Bookshop, a Burley first blend of Burley, Virginia and Perique. I will also be trying a couple of aromatics from master blender Russ Oullette; Russ' Nation Capitol, a Black Cavendish with cherry and vanilla top notes, and Russ' Fudge Cake, a Burley and Black Cavendish mix with a chocolate top note (thinking of our old friend @Bronze). Add Home and Hearth's Caramel Apple Pie, a mild aromatic, and the order is complete.
    Hopefully next week I will sinking these selections into PG for their three month long nap.

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    The closest thing to a chocolate NET I ever found was Temptation by Heathers Heavenly Vapes, which is now no longer available online. And I don't see myself driving nine hours to get to their B&M store.
    Scotty's Honey & Chocolate produces a sweet and tasty NET flavor through cold maceration, but it is not a true chocolate flavor. I've heat extracted the same tobacco this time around, along with Russ' Fudge Cake. And I have Brigadier Alamo in cold maceration as well.
    Nothing beats a try, and if I am not satisfied then at least I will know where not to look next time around.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread