Thanks USPS. [UPDATED!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
So I wanted to grab some new batteries, and I decided on Orbtronics and I got 4 of the Sony VTC5s.

They were supposed to arrive Monday, they got there Tuesday. They were packaged in a small PVC mailer that was wrapped to keep snug against the boxes inside... I opened it up, and was VERY close to running them outside. The state of the boxes was unacceptable. Please see the provided photos.
IMG_4368.JPG IMG_4369.JPG

I wrote to Orbtronics just informing them of the state they arrived in (I specifically asked NOT to be compensated in any way... I'm not like that) and if that was the norm to ship them in. I spoke with a gentleman and he informed me that to keep prices low, they ship the way they do, and using a bubble-mailer would not have helped much in this situation, a corrugated box would drive the shipping costs up too much also. I was okay with that explanation. (Very quick turn-around too, he answered in less than 10 minutes!!!)

If this was a pack of coils, or a plastic 30ml bottle, I would have moved on, but we all (I'm sure) have seen the videos of what happens to a physically abused high-discharge battery.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
I just got another reply back that they have decided to change shipping standards for the VTC5 batteries based on the information, and photos I provided (see original post above). They will start shipping all Sony VTC5s in the same foam box, but with a battery case for added protection.

I really can't say enough good things about Orbtronics!!! USPS on the other hand.... ehhhh.

Last edited:

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
That's odd. I order all my batteries from them and they always come in a plastic case inside the same type of box with the foam insert. Never ordered VTC5's from them, but my 4's and the HG2's last week all came in a plastic case. I wonder why they don't put VTC5's in the same plastic case?????

The rep that I was speaking with via email (very poor English) said that it was a strong suggestion from the customers to keep the prices down so low. He admitted that he did not agree with that decision.

If I am able to buy a battery case online for $1.50, I can only imagine how cheap they are when purchased in the thousands (as I imagine Orbtronics to be doing).

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
they probably just tried to do something cheaper, but luckily Liskrig gave them a call and they reversed the policy
Thanks Liskrig!

You're very welcome! Like I said... I don't want anyone to get hurt over a venting battery. Accidents with packages happen, I've accepted that, but it is also up to the seller to plan accordingly for that situation if it were to arise :)

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
Great to hear you respectfully said something about the shipping! I'm sure we all know batteries should be fully protected to prevent any possible problems, image one venting during transit.

When I order in pairs from other websites they usually put them in a plastic case covered in bubble wrap as another member mentioned. The singles come in a little white rectangular box, but are protected with material as well. I'm sure they will adopt a similar procedure.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Orbitronics sounds like a great company!

Things are getting better. Most companies even include batt cases now. I remember back in the day vendors selling batts and not even any batt cases anywehre on their site to purchase! You'd have to go to another site and pay shipping again. I received some batteries a while back, 2013-2014, thrown LOOSE into a bubble mailer, that were replacements for a mod that came with batteries, but the batteries they sent me were too long for their product (first sign this wasn't going to go well :lol:) The batts were all flopping around touching each other, no protections whatsover.

When I wrote to the manufacturer, I received a note back "schooling me" about how lithium batteries aren't really all that dangerous, blah blah blah. Amazing.

At the time I thought about reporting them to their carrier (USPS) since this isn't safe for transport on airplanes either and puts personnel at risk. USPS doesn't HAVE to carry or accept your mail......some people are unaware of this .

So good to hear batt vendors/manufacturers are doing a better job these days. :)

Reactions: Liskrig

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
At the time I thought about reporting them to their carrier (USPS) since this isn't safe for transport on airplanes either and puts personnel at risk. USPS doesn't HAVE to carry or accept your mail......some people are unaware of this .

So good to hear batt vendors/manufacturers are doing a better job these days. :)

Funny that you mention that... I have a very good friend that manages a warehouse for a battery distributor, and the week after his promotion, he had to attend a day-long class taught by UPS on how to safely declare, package, and ship batteries of any kind so he could inform the company of new changes.

Unfortunately, after he got the "you can do it" achievement from UPS, another employee took it upon himself to poorly package a battery, and UPS held it at the regional office until someone from the company came to pick it up in person. I don't know if the Postal Service has the same strict requirements, but I won't be surprised if they do soon.

Reactions: Racehorse

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Guess they need to start putting the "Warning label" in Chinese, Spanish, Mandarian, and the third dialect from the Latkin province in South Africa. Apparently the USPS workers can not read english.

I just dropped 60 bucks for a portrait of my 17 year old daughter that was taken at one of her competition. Big Letters "DO NOT BEND". Yup.. it came bent. USPS wonders why they are losing money. Idiots.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
Guess they need to start putting the "Warning label" in Chinese, Spanish, Mandarian, and the third dialect from the Latkin province in South Africa. Apparently the USPS workers can not read english.

I just dropped 60 bucks for a portrait of my 17 year old daughter that was taken at one of her competition. Big Letters "DO NOT BEND". Yup.. it came bent. USPS wonders why they are losing money. Idiots.

That was also a problem... The only "warning" or indication of batteries within were on the actual boxes (pictured in the first post) It could have very well been a piece of jewelry judging from the outside.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

Sorry, but anyone who has visited the hugely "industrial" environment of USPS, who handles billions of pieces a mail per year, needs to package items properly.

Do Not Bend isn't really useful --- what IS useful is to place the items in a packaging that doens't allow the item to bend. That is correct packaging, and most every packaging supply company has a variety of products, as well as consultants, to help business ship things properly.

If a package goes thru 2 sectional centers, onto several airplanes, into many many canvas bags holding TONS of other mail and packages......and then to local and carrier, you actually think everybody in that "stream" should read the do not bend note and take extra special precautions for ONE envelope?

Sheesh. I think anyone expecting that has very unpractical expectations . :)

I receive photographs for horse races I have stood in winners circle for, and they are packaged by the photo company in Hot Springs rather perfectly, including moisture proof, etc.

Package correctly for USPS, FEDEX, UPS and any other shipper....or don't ship. IMHO.

(by the way, we are rural and dusty and UPS trucks collecct so much grime and dirt just in one day of opening closing doors, my UPS guy has had to re-wrap packages containing clothing I've ordered, because the companies are not using plastic tyvec or other proper shipping materials. I told him he should not have to do that, though I appreciate it. If I receive clothing that is not in plastic, and it gets wet or dirty, the vendor gets a return and I don't order from them again.

news flash.... when you ship something, it gets handled by more than USPS... there are several carriers that can come in contact with your package during the shipping process.. especially if it was sent via air....

Yes, FedEx and UPS have contracts w/USPS to hand off items to them, as USPS has the most complete distribution network and often in places where other shippers don't serve a lot.

Reactions: Liskrig

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
what happens... the number of packages sent which arrive in good to fair condition are considered acceptable, the ones which arrive damaged ( package but not contents) are considered nominal and to be watched, packages that arrive with contents damaged are flagged and counted. If the number of damaged contents reaches a specific number ( cost to replace) is compared to the cost of increased packing materials ( bubble wrap) for every package, a cost analysis is considered. If the cost of bubble wrapping 10,000 packages far out weighs the cost of replacing 100 batteries due to dents and dings, the present style of packing remains........ and if the batteries become damaged to a point of venting, then that falls on the carrier for gross negligence and mishandling....

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I am sure every American knows what DO NOT BEND means. If not more education is needed for them. Maybe they should read their own guidelines.

Unpractical? Not really but you may think otherwise and that is fine.

BTW- they didn't have an option to ship fed ex or I would have. The package did have "stiffners".

5 Marking

"Approved markings that give handling instructions based on the contents of the package are listed in Exhibit 5-1.6, along with guidelines for using these markings. The markings must be placed in the area below the postage but above the addressee's name.

Exhibit 5-1.6

Marking Use
FRAGILE Only on packages containing items that can break (such as glass and electrical appliances)
PERISHABLE Only on packages containing items that can degrade or decompose rapidly (such as meat, produce, plants, and certain chemical samples)
DO NOT BEND or
DO NOT FOLD Only on packages containing items protected with stiffeners"

If they can't do it then don't accept it. Not really a hard concept. If I can't do the work I don't accept it and refer it. Kind of simple actually.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
.. and if the batteries become damaged to a point of venting, then that falls on the carrier for gross negligence and mishandling....

Unless the vendor/manufacturer hasn't followed the shipping guidelines provided by USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.

Esp. if a battery, improperly shipped and packaged per USPS guidelines, vents/blows up inside the cargo area of an aircraft while aloft, putting lives at risk.

Then, that shipper/vendor has some pretty serious liability. :)

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I am sure every American knows what DO NOT BEND means. If not more education is needed for them. Maybe they should read their own guidelines.

Unpractical? Not really but you may think otherwise and that is fine.

BTW- they didn't have an option to ship fed ex or I would have.

5 Marking

"Approved markings that give handling instructions based on the contents of the package are listed in Exhibit 5-1.6, along with guidelines for using these markings. The markings must be placed in the area below the postage but above the addressee's name.

Exhibit 5-1.6

Marking Use
FRAGILE Only on packages containing items that can break (such as glass and electrical appliances)
PERISHABLE Only on packages containing items that can degrade or decompose rapidly (such as meat, produce, plants, and certain chemical samples)
DO NOT BEND or
DO NOT FOLD Only on packages containing items protected with stiffeners"

Bluecat, I truly do understand what you are saying. I do.

What I am trying to explain to you is that, in terms of practical application , and given the shipping rigors I just posted above, that putting a note on a package isn't actually going to achieve the goal you are trying to achieve, then you will fall short of the stated goal.

Really, I haven't received a professional photograph thru the mail, in YEARS, that was able to be destroyed in the envelope. Shipping and packaging has gotten very sophisticated over the years.;)

Same with eliquid. I've received *ridiculous* packages, bottles thrown loose into "free" USPS envelopes, etc. Then from the MORE PROFESSIONAL vendors, eliquid ships in boxes that they have made for their product, from a packaging company. The Plume Room, Copper Creek, etc. come to mind. THAT is how it's done when done properly.

And by the way, there are many reasons USPS is not getting rich. First of all, they are not in business to turn a profit.

Secondly, they are the cheapest game in town. I just had to ship back a lightweight clothing artticle that the vendor insisted had to go UPS. It cost $10.95.

USPS was only going to charge me $2.80 FCM w/tracking

I think if people had to get all their vaping supplies via UPS or FedEx, their tune about the USPS would change rather rapidly. :lol:

Reactions: bluecat

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
news flash.... when you ship something, it gets handled by more than USPS... there are several carriers that can come in contact with your package during the shipping process.. especially if it was sent via air....

and btw, the batteries looked fine :)

Not sure if we need a newsflash. Many companies hire out to subcontractors. The company is responsible for their handling. Thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread